“SEA LORD IS A WINNER” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4140 El Mar Dr, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Madison, Wisconsin
“SEA LORD IS A WINNER”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Sea Lord for 6 nights in July (the offseason). It feels upscale for the price. Nice tiling everywhere. Nice furniture. Very friendly staff (I believe many are from Montenegro or other parts of Europe).

Breakfast is free continental (bagels, English Muffins, juice, fruit, and coffee). Decent service. The Sea Lord does also offer lunch and dinner (not on the house), although we never tried it out. I wouldn't describe it as a full restaurant by any means.

The outside pool is small but refreshing with outside seating facing the beach and ocean.

The hotel is within walking distance of many of Lauderdale By The Sea's restaurants, bars, and shops. The area feels very safe and not nearly as busy as Fort Lauderdale proper.

The only downside is Internet connectivity. They have free WiFi but it is in and out. Sometimes great speeds. Sometimes acts like not even connected. I believe this is more due to the structural material of the building than anything else. I sometimes had trouble with my cell connectivity in several parts of the hotel too. Not integral to a beach vacation but still expected in this day and age.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Serbian first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

What an enchanting discovery!

The Sea Lord Hotel & Suites, is grand, elegant yet cozy and full of charm...a mix of classic European architecture and modern art deco. As you pass through the front door and into the dining area, the elegant decor immediately catches the eye – and this sets the tone for the rest of your stay.

The Sea Lord reminded me of the French Riviera at a very affordable cost. The hotel features a beautiful terrace with gorgeous views of the sea, a swimming pool and direct access to the beach, a perfect location where you will find peace, beauty and tranquility and where you can enjoy and explore the Atlantic coast!

Many rooms offer sweeping views of the Ocean and guests can enjoy the finest gourmet food. The Chef, Mario L. Amato is Italian and his gastronomy is the best kept secret in Lauderdale by the Sea. He prepares exquisite dishes using seasonal local products always fresh and so tasty. You must offer yourself a table for two or with friends. You will be royally treated! And don't forget to order an espresso after your 5 stars meal!

I stayed for a week at The Sea Lord in the most comfortable suite, which came with a living room area, a full kitchen, a spacious rustic bathroom and a huge terrace with breathtaking views of the ocean. And the continental breakfast was included.

I truly recommend the Sea Lord, you will be enchanted. The staff serves you with courtesy and the affable owner Richard Nikezic does a marvelous job in creating a simple, warm atmosphere that makes you fill at home... away from home.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My husband, my 8 year old daughter and myself stayed at Sea Lord over Memorial weekend. Although the hotel was fully booked it never felt that way since they are a relatively small property, just the perfect size. We felt so relaxed and welcome at their beautiful and well maintained common areas. The rooms are very clean and well appointed, the restaurant is beautifully decorated overlooking the ocean and the food is amazing. The complimentary breakfast is just perfect. My daughter loved the pool and beach area. I would highly recommend this property and their rates are very competitive. You can walk to the pier, restaurants, etc and don't need to drive which made our stay so relaxing...We are locals and would definitely stay there again!

South Florida, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I wanted to find a quaint and classic place along the beach to hold our weddingceremony.Driving in the area my husband recommended, I happened upon the Sea Lord. When I walked in, I knew this was the spot and wasn't sure they would do it. I felt so strongly and excited about the place, because we were only having 40 guests and def wanted on the beach...it was perfect. The drawback for them was the date; Memorial weekend. Since they are a family run place with an amazing heart and spirit, they (Emina) created the most magical, beautiful, over the top, unforgettable wedding. I'm sorry to those guests that were unable to use the facility that day. The chef is amazing and the remodel of the dining area and bar is exquisite and they have plans to make it even better. The intimacy of the hotel and quaint pretty ambiance is understated and
charming. The service was 6 star out of 5 and the rooms were clean, updated and nice. I would highly recommend the hotel for a peaceful getaway, or any celebratory occasion.

Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed on Memorial Day weekend, and we loved it!! Being a native of Fort Lauderdale, I knew that most hotels on the ocean are overpriced. We found that there was great value and the staff went out of their way to treat us top notch. My only complaint is that the shower did not drain very well, but other than that, we were very pleased. The ocean view was amazing and we enjoyed ourselves immensely. Thank you Sea Lord staff!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Checked in Friday evening. Could not use our room's balcony due to extremely noisy fountain below which had the pump running with no water. Rented beach chairs on Saturday to be used until 5:00. Got up from the chairs around noon to get a drink from our room and as we looked out the windows the chairs were taken away and padlocked to the chair stockpile near the pool. Since they had a wedding scheduled Saturday, which they did not mention when we confirmed our reservation, the pool was off limits on Saturday to the extent that I was refused entrance from the beach area to my room and told to walk around the block to the front of the hotel by the pool Gestapo. Breakfast was offered from 8 'til 10. If you did not get there early the food (cereal, bread, watermelon, orange juice was the extent of the selection) was gone and not replenished. Pool Gestapo would actually stand at gate from beach to pool area and make guests rewash the sand from their feet! Room was poor; not at all like the photos online. My bath towels even had holes in them. All in all a very sad but very costly holiday weekend stay.

• Stayed May 2013
South Florida, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Here we go the good: I was able to book a last minute oceanfront unit for memorial weekend, I've stayed in the area before at the High Noon resort was sold out, I opted for this location knowing that this is a quiet area and great for relaxing with my family. The hotel, not a resort by far, is very well kept, clean and very nice location. You can walk to restaurant and pier. View from my oceanfront was beautiful(pay for oceanfront and get high floor).

The ugly: was not told there was a wedding when I called to confirm my reservation.. I was told when I arrived at front desk that Saturday the pool area would close at 5pm, (not heated by the way, sun only hits pool until about 4:00pm) the small cafe/restaurant would also shut down entirely Saturday and reopen Sunday until lunch time. (Again was not told until I went down Saturday morning to get breakfast(free breakfast is just breads,cereal and watermelon and Orange juice watered down coffee). Nothing would be prepared by kitchen because they were prepping for the wedding. After I politely went to front desk to question what else would not be accessible to guest because of the wedding, the young very rude lady said well sorry if you want you can just leave!!! What...I have never ever experienced this kind of customer service(non existence here) There would have been another way to treat the guest staying here that we're not part of the wedding group! maybe if they would have some type of common sense they could have offered a complimentary drink/lunch/or even a beach chair rental for the angry and dissatisfied guest(which were quite a few I spoke to by the way). Not to mention the way they patrol your every freaking move..,I literally felt like if we were in some sort of military boot camp! No kidding, my goodness let your Paying Guest RELAX, isn't this what a vacation is supposed to be. If you have a nice family with kids, we are not loud,nor disorderly or have misbehaved kids but these people are seriously mean! by no mean go here!!!!! Will never return, too bad many others felt the same way!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sea Lord Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!