“provided comfort in our time of grief” 5 of 5 stars

You added Sea Lord Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4140 El Mar Dr, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“provided comfort in our time of grief”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

we recently booked 10 days at this resort. on the third day my father died suddenly. we had to make immediate arrangements to fly home. sea lord did not charge us for the unused days. i wish us airways was as accomadating. this speaks highly for the management and their customer service. this is what you look for in a place as anyone could have been in our situation. beside their being a class act, this is a top notch facility rooms are attractive and a good breakfast. we will be continual loyal customers

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We spent three nights during high season; the hotel was sold out. Despite it being so, it was mostly quiet and we enjoyed much more privacy than expected. The room was immaculate when we arrived; bedding was top quality. A bathroom window for daylight was pleasant, older hotels like the Sea Lord are less cookie cutter and have more character. Enough updates have been made to feel plenty comfortable in 2013, though. Plenty of space, as we were in a junior suite with small kitchen. The terry robes came in very handy for a beachfront stay.

Since the hotel is right on the beach, the prices were above what you'd expect to pay if it were located anywhere else for this level of hotel amenities. But we opened our french doors to a small private terrace with straight chairs and a small table, beyond which was a public (but mostly unused) terrace with lounge chairs and small tables, fitted in between palms and foliage; beyond which was the beach sand, and of course, the ocean. So if that sounds appealing to you, then it's worth every penny.

The outer windows (an entire wall of them!) are mirrored on the outside, so during morning hours we could go about our business getting dressed or otherwise preparing for the day while watching the sunrise or the joggers or the beach raking equipment out doing their thing. And it's nice to hang out on the beach but have everything you need (including private bathroom!) just a few steps away.

Sunrise was spectacular; laying in bed and there it is, in its full glory. Through the palm fronds. Nice.

Continental breakfast is included, but nothing to brag about. If you're ok starting your day with carbs, sugar, fat, and caffeine, it'll suit just fine. If you want protein or a good fresh fruit or juice selection, you might buy some supplies for your refrigerator and use them to supplement what is available.

On the third day, no one came to clean the room while we were out. Hotel staff did offer to take care of this when we sought out a fresh supply of towels, but we declined. Sometimes maid service every day is wasteful anyway---but it is included in the price of the room nonetheless.

Didn't use the pool, didn't use the exercise room. No other amenities to speak of. So when it's time for lunch or dinner or cocktails, unless you're working out of your refrigerator, it's a ten minute walk along the beach or along the sidewalk (very little traffic and quite safe for pedestrians) to the pier and center of all things food, drink, and souvenirs. We skipped the rental car on this trip and were very glad we did. Parking issues would have detracted from our enjoyment. Tough to get a wifi connection at night, even in good reception areas. They must limit the number of connections. Had no problem at all in the mornings.

Room Tip: We stayed in Rm 101, very quiet, very easy beach/pool access,Norht corner of the building. Nice terr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hellertown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed in one of the large suites that sleeps six. The accommodations were excellent with an incredible view. Right on the beach - could walk for miles. We also enjoyed the ability to walk to numerous restaurants. Lauderdale by the sea is quiet and geared more to families so our teenagers were a little bored. The hotel has seemingly gone thru some upgrades in the main lobby but other areas such as fitness room need a complete overhaul. Breakfast is adequate but the staff cold not have been more accommodating.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have stayed at the Sea Lord during Christmas Week every year for about 10-12 years now, as well as a few other times at other parts of the year. It is always stupendous.
As lovely as it always is, the owners are also always making upgrades and adding to the overall experience. I can't say enough about this place.
This year we brought our daugher and her family, and our son and his family (3 small children in al) and everyone had a great time! The hosts here really look out for the enjoyment of all guests.

Great ambience, great rooms, beautiful view (ocean right in front of your rooms!), what more could you ask?

Love this place!

Room Tip: Choose one of their many suites with ocean view. Awesome.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Sea Lord is newly renovated and the week we stayed they were completing construction of the hotel's restaurant. Our room on the fourth floor faced due east to the rising sun. The spacious living/dining room overlooked the ocean and beach with a walk-out balcony complete with chairs and small table. One thing I missed having was a tea kettle in the kitchen to heat water for a cup of tea. (I always pack tea bags and instant coffee.) Instead of a kettle, I had to use the small saucepan. Another item that other hotels seem to always provide beside the bed is a clock or a radio-alarm clock. That would have been helpful. We found two big white fluffy bath robes in the room, which we folded up and set aside. There was a printed sign over the kitchen sink advising that the maid would not wash up dishes left out. That's fine, but no dish liquid was provided in the cupboard so that I could wash up. When I visited the WinnDixie grocery store I paid only $1.00 for a big bottle of dish soap, which I left in the cupboard for the next guest. One thing I would recommend is they upgrade the elevator. It's old and unreliable. Otherwise, we enjoyed our stay. The weather was warm and sunny. Staff at the hotel were polite. We found the breakfast buffet had a nice selection of items to get our day off to a good start.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

This hotel is gorgeous and right on the beach, the service is outstanding!!! The rooms are nice and spacious and what a great location since it is walking distance to all these cute restaurants. I love the fact that not only is it a comfortable place to stay, but also a gorgeous place to be. I enjoyed every minute I was there, and can't wait to go back in the winter.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Bloomingdale, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Hi. Beautiful area. I have been coming to this area for 25 years. Used to go to costa del sol. Two doors down. It's nice to have the breakfast here everyday. We stayed in junior suit with our daughter. I had been sleeping on the cot and the first night I was getting bitten. Every night it got worse. I mentioned it to the front desk they said probably sand fleas. But no one else was getting bit. But me. I have never ever had a problem with sand fleas. Then one night I went down to get extra blankets. Nice security man gave me two blankets and I saw a big cockroach crawling on the floor. I almost wanted to say no thanks! The bites made my vacation miserable. I think I will go else where next year.

Room Tip: Don't get a cot. Check out the beds.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
OlgaSeaLord, Manager at Sea Lord Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please accept my apologies that you were disappointed with your stay. My staff and I continually strive to achieve guest satisfaction and I regret that you were dissatisfied. I’d like to take this opportunity to address and hopefully alleviate your specific concerns.

First and foremost, I want to assure you that we take bed bug prevention very seriously. Given the vulnerability that commercial lodging facilities face, I have implemented an aggressive bed bug prevention protocol to ensure our guests always receive clean and safe accommodations. Part of this protocol includes: regularly scheduled inspections with reputable pest management professionals; encasement of our mattresses with a two-layer protector which impermeable to dust mites, bed bugs, mold and bacteria; training housekeeping staff to inspect for evidence of beg bugs and implementing said inspections in our daily operations. Furthermore, our staff is trained to respond immediately and proactively to guest complaints regarding potential pest issues.

I have examined our records relating to the Junior Suite you stayed in during your recent visit. This room was examined less than a month before your stay as part of our monthly inspection program by our pest management company and no evidence of bed bugs was found. Furthermore, our housekeeping inspection records and guest complaint logs indicate no report of potential pest issues.

Although your complaint was the first of its nature, my staff responded to it earnestly and immediately. Our housekeeping manager was sent to your room to inspect for evidence of bed bugs the same day as your complaint and no indication of bed bugs was found. Since our investigation revealed no evidence of pest infestation and you were the only member of your party that was experiencing bites, our front desk staff suggested that the cause of the bites may be sand fleas. With sand fleas, the reaction differs from person to person and it is not uncommon for some people to experience skin irritations while others are unaffected. Unfortunately, sand fleas are common on ocean beaches and we do not have a means to prevent sand flea bites.

While we cannot speculate as to the source of your skin irritation, we can assure you that after thorough investigation, we have confirmed that beg bugs or other pest infestation in your room was not the culprit. After your departure, we asked our pest control company to perform a detailed inspection of your room and the roll away bed provided to you. The investigation revealed no infestation. We assure you that we have taken all measures possible to verify that your accommodation was free from bed bugs. Please click on the following link to view the report from our pest control specialists: https://picasaweb.google.com/mnikezic13/SeaLord?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Again, we are just as disappointed as you that you did not enjoy your stay. I understand how the skin irritation you experienced certainly put a damper on your vacation. Again, we assure you that our accommodations are aggressively monitored and maintained so that our guests always receive a clean, safe, and pest-free environment. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me directly.

Kindest Regards,
Emil Nikezic

Been to Sea Lord Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!