“Do not stay here!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Eastward Strand - Hotel & Suites

You added Eastward Strand - Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Eastward Strand - Hotel & Suites
4333 El Mar Drive, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, FL 33308, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Do not stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

This hotel & suites needs to be condemned until it meets health code standards. The bathroom was dirty; sheets were not clean and overall terrible room and a horrible smell. I don't understand how a hotel & suites can continue to operate. This was to be a special surprise birthday event for me and turn out to be a nightmare. Even at the rate we paid, I had a better and less expensive stay at Motel 6 & Super 8 and those are cheap but a lot cleaner. I hope the manager responds back to me or gives me a full refund!
1) Roaches
2) Mold
3) Dirty
4) Unsafe wiring
5) Last inspected 2011 displayed in room 307
6) Linens, towels, bedding, kitchen fork, knife, pots, pan all needs to be discarded or burn!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

For the price, you really cant go wrong. Full kitchen, Wall-Mounted Flat screen TV, comfy beds are all plus. Minor downside is the bathrooms, which seem to be needing of an update, and the cable which isin't HD quality, like the internet. Pretty friendly atmosphere though. Close to everything you need.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Fuerstenberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We've stayed in 4 different hotels around Fort Lauderdale, and this has been the best for us so far, by far. We stayed there for a full week in a nice apartment (Living Room+Bedroom) overlooking a pretty garden and the pool. We were concerned, because the price seemed under-average, but we were positively surprised. The apartments are super-spacious, uncluttered and not fluffy (a real issue in boutique-style hotels in Florida), with a huge TV a nice bonus. The hotel reminds me of what it might have been like in Florida in the 50's, the staff are relaxed and the whole place is very low-key. More motel-like, actually, if it weren't for the quiet street and the proximity to the beach. But beware, this is not a posh place, and people expecting luxury will surely be disappointed. -Exactly the reason we loved it. The location is absolutely perfect, with beach and restaurants right next door. We will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Only rooms around the pool or fountain.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Roomy 1 bedroom, large tv, nice receptionist. Not particularly clean or well maintained inside or out. Pool too small for size of complex. No ice machine on premises. Electrical switches a mystery, some lighting and celing fan did not work. Plumbing antiquated.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Duluth, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I decided we were going to head to Ft Lauderdale for 2 weeks in Feb and we searched and searched online for a clean, comfortable, low cost, place close to the ocean to stay. We read review after review and called and called many places. We had a hard time finding a place to stay due to the time of year. Everything was booked for either all or portions of the time frame we needed. We came across the Eastward Strand and looked at reviews and found some good and some bad just like anything. I called there and the woman on the phone told me that it was the best place in Lauderdale by the Sea, right on the beach, cleanest, most friendly and comfortable place. So, we booked it for 2 full weeks.

Well, let me tell you... when we got there and pulled up to park we looked at each other and just were shocked. I got out, went to the door to check in and nobody was there. So, rang bell, called the number on the door and waited. Finally a gal came, checked us in and brought us to our room. Walking to the room I was just shocked. Gross, dirty, dead plants, broken, rusty, ick!! The lightswitches were gross, the floor trim... the whole place. Even the community BBQ grill was covered in bird poop and the tools were filthy. The place is in serious need of major TLC!

And, I was told this was right on the beach. It was across the street from the beach. That isn't a big deal as it was not a far walk, but when you are told it is right on the beach.. come on!!

Got in the room and she waited for us to look it over. Well, we looked and I was not happy but we had nowhere else to go that night and had people waiting for us. So, we paid, dropped our stuff in the room and headed to the beach and dinner. Upon coming back we started to really look around. Floor, which in the picture is beautiful hard wood floor, was filthy dirty and very old and worn. The bathroom was gross!! I had to wash the sink just so I could wash my face for bed. The shower was full of filth and mold. The kitchen sink was gross, the stove looked as if it was never cleaned since new. The bed looked as though it was slept in. We had no choice but to sleep there that night and head out the next day to find a new place to stay. We found a great place down the way and went back to checkout. I told her why we were leaving and asked for a full refund. She said she couldn't and they had to charge us for the first night. I ended up calling a couple days later and talked to the manager and they did give a portion of that one night back.

I can't believe how a place like this can even be open. It was horrible. If you think this is a nice place then I hope you never invite me to your house because you must live like a pig.

This place needs to be inspected and needs to update their website.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Haines, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I don't really want to share this as we love it here. We come back twice a year because it suits us to the ground. It's not the most fanciest, poshest of places and yes, sometimes gets a little sandy or dusty in the apartments but it's a row back from the beach so we kinda expect that. There are a range of efficiency, and one bed apartments (not sure about 2 bed), some of the fixtures a little dated but generally clean and airey with air con. We usually rent a one bed apartment which has a small kitchen and a lounge area with comfortable modern sofas and huge TV! We had just a shower, toilet and basin in our bathroom. The bedroom has air con, a comfortable bed with walk in wardrobe which provides lots of stoarage/hanging space.
The beach is close as are a range of great bars, restaurants, cafes, sushi and shops. The A1A is right behind which provides great access but can sometimes be a little noisy.
I believe the owners are pet friendly as I have seen people with dogs here. On the downside, the building construction means that noise does travel between the apartments, but this has not been a major issue to us. There is a nice pool with a small patio area and a barbecue for patrons use. Parking is right outside the complex - you need a permit from reception.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I don't know where these people who give this place a good rating have stayed before but I booked it for a month (March 2012) a 2 bedroom it was dirty, everything in the place was old and the first night we woke up about 1am to find bugs in the bed, we spent the rest of the night in the car and found a new place the next day. I don't do ratings but the ratings this place was getting made me sick

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauderdale by the Sea
Castle by the Sea
Best Florida Resort
Best Florida Resort
#14 of 30 in Lauderdale by the Sea
4.5 of 5 stars 263 reviews

Been to Eastward Strand - Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!