“Absolutly Horrible!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Eastward Strand - Hotel & Suites

You added Eastward Strand - Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Eastward Strand - Hotel & Suites
4333 El Mar Drive, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, FL 33308, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Duluth, Minnesota
“Absolutly Horrible!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I decided we were going to head to Ft Lauderdale for 2 weeks in Feb and we searched and searched online for a clean, comfortable, low cost, place close to the ocean to stay. We read review after review and called and called many places. We had a hard time finding a place to stay due to the time of year. Everything was booked for either all or portions of the time frame we needed. We came across the Eastward Strand and looked at reviews and found some good and some bad just like anything. I called there and the woman on the phone told me that it was the best place in Lauderdale by the Sea, right on the beach, cleanest, most friendly and comfortable place. So, we booked it for 2 full weeks.

Well, let me tell you... when we got there and pulled up to park we looked at each other and just were shocked. I got out, went to the door to check in and nobody was there. So, rang bell, called the number on the door and waited. Finally a gal came, checked us in and brought us to our room. Walking to the room I was just shocked. Gross, dirty, dead plants, broken, rusty, ick!! The lightswitches were gross, the floor trim... the whole place. Even the community BBQ grill was covered in bird poop and the tools were filthy. The place is in serious need of major TLC!

And, I was told this was right on the beach. It was across the street from the beach. That isn't a big deal as it was not a far walk, but when you are told it is right on the beach.. come on!!

Got in the room and she waited for us to look it over. Well, we looked and I was not happy but we had nowhere else to go that night and had people waiting for us. So, we paid, dropped our stuff in the room and headed to the beach and dinner. Upon coming back we started to really look around. Floor, which in the picture is beautiful hard wood floor, was filthy dirty and very old and worn. The bathroom was gross!! I had to wash the sink just so I could wash my face for bed. The shower was full of filth and mold. The kitchen sink was gross, the stove looked as if it was never cleaned since new. The bed looked as though it was slept in. We had no choice but to sleep there that night and head out the next day to find a new place to stay. We found a great place down the way and went back to checkout. I told her why we were leaving and asked for a full refund. She said she couldn't and they had to charge us for the first night. I ended up calling a couple days later and talked to the manager and they did give a portion of that one night back.

I can't believe how a place like this can even be open. It was horrible. If you think this is a nice place then I hope you never invite me to your house because you must live like a pig.

This place needs to be inspected and needs to update their website.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Haines, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I don't really want to share this as we love it here. We come back twice a year because it suits us to the ground. It's not the most fanciest, poshest of places and yes, sometimes gets a little sandy or dusty in the apartments but it's a row back from the beach so we kinda expect that. There are a range of efficiency, and one bed apartments (not sure about 2 bed), some of the fixtures a little dated but generally clean and airey with air con. We usually rent a one bed apartment which has a small kitchen and a lounge area with comfortable modern sofas and huge TV! We had just a shower, toilet and basin in our bathroom. The bedroom has air con, a comfortable bed with walk in wardrobe which provides lots of stoarage/hanging space.
The beach is close as are a range of great bars, restaurants, cafes, sushi and shops. The A1A is right behind which provides great access but can sometimes be a little noisy.
I believe the owners are pet friendly as I have seen people with dogs here. On the downside, the building construction means that noise does travel between the apartments, but this has not been a major issue to us. There is a nice pool with a small patio area and a barbecue for patrons use. Parking is right outside the complex - you need a permit from reception.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I don't know where these people who give this place a good rating have stayed before but I booked it for a month (March 2012) a 2 bedroom it was dirty, everything in the place was old and the first night we woke up about 1am to find bugs in the bed, we spent the rest of the night in the car and found a new place the next day. I don't do ratings but the ratings this place was getting made me sick

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Ideal place to stay. I had a spacious room with a/c and tv etc. The pool is gr8. Very, very friendly and helpful staff. Hope to get back next year.

Room Tip: Very pleasant complex, near beach and restaurants. Gr8 for singles or families and particularly for...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Cincinnati
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

I stayed for a week, for the second year in a row at this Motel. I had a one bedroom with a kitchen and living room. Nice walk-in closet. Big bedroom, living room and TV. The staff is friendly and quick to please. Newer appliances in the kitchen. Bed was average. There are some minor issues that could be addressed such as the blinds being dusty. As I said I stayed at the place before and it suited me for the price. It's a great value and convenient to the beacha nd center of town. I'll stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Chandler, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were on a budget and I checked out this place for a weekly rental. We weren't disappointed for the $400 we spent on a 1 bedroom apartment. It's an older hotel but the location is perfect! Steps from the beach and Downtown Lauderdale by the Sea restaurants and shops. The apartments don't have central a/c but have a powerful wall unit. Nice large flat screen in the living room and comfortable couch/sectional for lounging. The bed is the hardest I've ever slept on, they need new beds! The bedroom has a HUGE walk in closet with plenty of hangers. Full kitchen was great for having breakfast and lunch to save money for eating out at night. They have a great gas grill by the pool and we used it once to cook steaks and shrimp for dinner. The pool is clean but not heated (needed this time of year) and the deck only has room for two chairs. I must say that after checking in I didn't expect much from the staff, well I was wrong. They are wonderful! Every request we had was exceeded and the staff was always present and constantly working outside. I felt very safe at the hotel as well. If you need clean, conveniently located inexpensive place to stay, this it it!

Room Tip: Get an apartment in the Southern most building by the pool and get on the second floor.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
South Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

I stayed at this Motel/Suite over Labor Day weekend, It is privately owned, the bathroom and kitchen are outdated and in need of renovations, the landscaping a bit neglected. however, it was very clean and looked as though it was recently painted. A stones throw away from the Towne Center which was awesome!.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Eastward Strand - Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!