“Loved It!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Mar Tropic Ranch Resort Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lauderdale by the Sea
El Mar Tropic Ranch Resort Motel
El Mar Drive, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Coconut Creek, FL
“Loved It!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

I love these people that blame the hotel for Expedia's faults. As Jerry Seinfeld says" Anyone can TAKE a reservation, but to hold that reservation is the key element." How does the previous reviewer know that Expedia actually contacted the hotel?!?! Just because you get a reservation number doesn;t mean anything! I have traveled hundreds of times for business and like clockwork I arrive to the hotel with my PAID receipt from Expedia and the hotel looks at me like I'm from Mars. This is true for Holiday Inn's, Ramada you name it. Hotels must pay a fee for Expedia and generally are not to fond of some outside company making false claims like guarantee a room "with an oceanview" HA! how do they know! Have they been there and are they the ones actually booking the room??
With all that being said, the staff is helpful and courteous, I learned that the newer management and staff is much more helpful that the last. The rooms are amazing, straight from South Beach! There were renovations taking place that did not bother me one bit, which was a concern of mine going in. Loved the breakfast and the whole feel of the quaintness. Saw a few ants and flies, but nothing worth writing about....Its Florida and its on the beach!! Overall I would stay there again and for the price, good luck finding a better value!

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

6 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
mystic,quebec
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

My husband and I booked this hotel for a 3 night stay to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We reserved through Hotel.com and got a good rate. I requested late arrival as we would only be landing at 11pm. There was an envelope with a key taped to the door of the hotel next door. "Little Inn by the Sea". We had chosen not to book at " Little Inn by the Sea" based on reviews on this site of rooms that had not been renovated.

Well, the room they had assigned us was not in "Little Inn Too" nor had it been renovated. It looked exactly as I had seen on this board with the tacky green wallpaper, and the rusty patio door with curtains full of holes. Although very old and outdated the room was clean. It was midnight and there was nobody around so we had no choice but to stay ath the Little Inn by the Sea. The next morning after enjoying the continenal breakfast we went to the office to get things fixed.

Contrary to all the reviews we have read the staff was helpful and not rude and moved us next door to "A little Inn too" . Our room was spectacular. It looked just as on the web site. We had a kitchenette with granite counters and stainless appliances. The flat screen T.V. was awesome in the living room but I couldn't figure out what we were supposed to do with a flat screen in the bathroom. ???

The hotel is under major renovations and only about 6 of the 12 rooms are finished. There is still much work that needs doing outside on this property.

All this being said, we loved the place. We usually had the pool to ourselves and brought our own cocktails and enjoyed the view and the tranquility. The complimentary beach chairs and towels were appreciated as many hotels charge extra for these. We had no problems with parking. We saw no bugs. There were only 2 working bikes.

This was our first time to LBTS and we loved it. The Aruba restaurant in the village was great and had a good happy hour on Friday. We then enjoyed the jazz party in the street that take place every Friday.

Although this hotel is not the Ritz, I would gladly stay here again. In fact I tried to reserve for a night post cruise but they have a 3 night minimum at that time so we will have to find something else.

There is a Publix grocery store, a CVS pharmacy, a liquor store and lots of restaurants within walking distance. This was the best part of staying in this area. Everything was close, laid back and easy to get to.

If you are looking for a fancy hotel, choose something else. If you want a small hotel on the beach where you can drink your own beer by the pool and still have an updated room, this is the place. Oh, did I mention the BBQ ? The cool lounge furniture by the pool or the bar minus bar tender? so you can bring your own.

We enjoyed the continental breakfast served daily at the "Little Inn by the Sea" it included juice, yogurt, fruit (never over-ripe as mentioned on these boards) coffee tea, pastries, bagels and donuts and a good choice of cereal. We never saw the garbage over full as mentioned and the buffet was filled as needed. We sat outside with our breakfast each morning looking at the beach and reading the paper. Hard to beat!!!!

• Liked — On the beach, BYOB
  • Disliked — All the renovations going on
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
delray beach, florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2007

This place is a rip off.
Through expedia I booked this reservation for the air and sea show. Expedia billed my credit card. On the day i was to arrive , i called the hotel and spoke to a man named Tom. He told me they did not have a rerservation for me there, and for me not to come because they were sold out and had no rooms available. i told him my reservation number and he said he had no such thing. i told him that expedia charged me for the room and i wanted my money back. he told me I had to call expedia to get that to happen. So I did, and when expedia tried to cal them, they did not answer the phone. I have been calling to get my refund of $181.00 and still no response from the hotel. Please do not let this happen to you!!!! It's been almost two eeks now and I am still out my money.

I think this hotel is scamming everyone involved and they have gotten expedia involved. and worse yet, I'm out $181.00!!

Stayed May 2007

Travelers are raving about these Lauderdale by the Sea hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2007

Traveled to Lauderdale by the sea as the launch point for an overseas trip. We soon realized that the wekend we were arriving was the same weekend as the Fort Lauderdale Air and Sea Show. Needless to say, accomodations were tight/ pricy, so we landed at the Tropic Ranch.

The Tropic Ranch is an older motel type property, adjacent to the Little Inn by the Sea, the owners of which recently purchased the Ranch. In fact, we checked in at the Little Inn.

While renovations are in the works - new carpets and paint this summer - little had been done so far. For example, our room (#13) had a shower issue and worn-out carpeting. On the other hand, it had a brand new 40 inch LCD TV (albeit with only batteries for 1 of the 2 remotes, so we swapped back and forth), fresh paint, and plenty of room (2 queens, full size fridge, two burners, toaster, micro, coffeepot, and an assortment of left over cups, glasses, and utensils). All in all, about what we had expected for the price (109). Plus there was a continental breakfast, albeit not a good one. Did see one palmetto bug, but being from New Orleans, were not phased - it came from outside, and my wife quickly eliminated it....

The common area was very nice - new pool and patio furnituire, new big grill and a nice pool. Basically the same stuff as the Little Inn, which you were free to use as well. No difference in treatment that I noticed.

Also, there is internet, although I had some access issues. Staff is a bit too understaffed/relaxed, but not annoyingly so. But they do not move quickly. We reported the shower issue, and it was never fixed (maintenence was off on Sunday....)

But the best feature is the location, right on the beach, where we were able to watch the Thunderbirds and other airplanes, helicopters etc. roar directly overhead. Very cool. Beach furniture is shared with the Inn, and we were warned in checkin that it might be insudfficient, but we were able to get loungers everytime we went to the beach w/o any problem.

All in all, would stay again - after the reno is complete. Good value, about what we expected.

• Liked — Location. Walking distance to everything.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to El Mar Tropic Ranch Resort Motel? Share your experiences!