“You will not be disappointed !” 5 of 5 stars

You added Breakaway Inn to your Saves list
Breakaway Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4457 Poinciana Street, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Stockholm
“You will not be disappointed !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

This little Guest House is a perfect place to stay for those, who want to stay for a longer period.
My husband and I stayed at Breakaway Inn for 8 weeks. We were well taken care of by Margaret, Michelle and Andrew. They are very helpful and generous, always ready to be at our assistance.
The Guest House is very well situated in the lovely town of Lauderdale By The Sea, near shops and restaurants, close to Publix Supermarket.
We enjoyed our stay so much, that we have already decided to return next autumn for another 8 weeks. We can highly recommend Breakaway Inn to anyone who wants a quiet and peaceful vacation. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

57 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Titusville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

This cozy little Inn is located within walking distance to the beach, shops, bars & restaurants within charming Lauderdale by the Sea. The staff was so friendly. We were most impressed with the cleanliness of the rooms & the pool. This is not a snooty hotel. The rooms are little efficiencies with a full kitchen and bath. If you want a 5 star resort then this is not the place for you. It has all the native Floridian charm of a family owned establishment leaving the guests free to relax & not be hasseled. We will be back for sure.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

This was my first stay at this family owned hotel - I usually choose such small and cosy places since I like quiet and I am not fond of crowded, noisy, huge hotels. I liked the place from the first sight - it is bright, clean, very quiet, surrounded by a nice garden (especially beautiful at night, wonderfully lighted!). The owners are very helpful and always around (actually they have apartment in the motel). I felt very comfortable and as if I visited my friends not just a motel. I could wear very casual clothes and did not have to worry about being examined by others how do I look etc. The motel is situated in a very quiet and safe surrounding (in front of police, fire station and church)! Where could you feel safer???? Beautiful beach is just across the street (about 150 meters). A small but very charming down town of Lauderdale by the Sea is just 10 minutes walk from the motel - there are excellent restaurants (especially one at the beach with sea food), cafes and souvenir shops. There are lots of people walking till late night, the place is vivid and full of music (on Saturdays and Sundays there are discos organised on the street near the peer).
I liked the motel very much and this was my first but certainly not the last stay there. Greetings and many thanks to Margaret (who is the heart of the place!)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

The Breakaway Inn is a great place to go if you want to be close to the beach and night life of Lauderdale by the Sea, but far enough away to have some peace and quiet. I stayed 3 nights there, and I was never kept awake by noise, and if I ever needed anything the owners were always available. Pool was always available and whenever I went in I was the only one around! Being the off season, I didn't really have to share with anyone. It's as close as it says to the beach, shops and nightlife. I was able to walk to everything. I rented a car at the airport and the motel had plenty of parking. The owners live on site, and she was very concerned that I felt safe and secure being that I traveled alone. I would definitely recommend this to anyone to loves Fort Lauderdale.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

I stayed at this motel with my one year old daughter for the last week and wouldn't have changed it for the world. We came down from Edmonton, Canada and found the motel itself, although older, had a wonderful charm to it. It's such a sweet family owned motel, the owners were very friendly and even offered to let my daughter play with the pet rabbit that they keep on site. The pool was clean and warm and the other guests were incredibly friendly. The room I was in had a kitchen with as many appliances as you could possibly ask for out of a hotel, including a stove, microwave and even a toaster. As for Lauderdale by the Sea itself and the motel's location I couldn't have asked for better, I took a shuttle from the airport to the hotel for $25 usd each way and found that with all the unique shops, the beach, and the restaurants in the area I never had any desire to go outside of walking distance. The other feature that struck me was how incredibly serene and quiet the area is at night time. I would sit on the balcony in the evenings and there were no sounds to be heard. In my opinion this is an absolutely fabulous place to stay for a wonderful price if you're looking for a serene, relaxing get a way.

• Stayed May 2010
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

The #1 main reason why I booked this hotel was because of the positive reviews that can be found on multiple sites. Let me start off by saying that upon arrival, our initial room had not been booked. Another room was given instead (thank goodness they hadn't been booked solid, because otherwise we would've been homeless)... the new room had a non working lock. We complained on day one and told us "don't worry! There is a police station across the street, nothing ever happens here!"... after THREE days of complaining and receiving the same frustrating response, the manager shows up ready to finally fix the lock. Too late; we'd already made arrangements with another hotel closer to downtown Fort Lauderdale. They were none too pleased with our decision to leave and even accused us of being the cause of the downfall of small businesses in America -- no joke. Our intention was to pay them for the nights already spent, but THEY insisted we should be grateful for them refunding our money... umm... we actually didn't ask for one thank you very much. They also threatened to call the Better Business Bureau on us.... um, I kinda wish they had because I think our case would've totally held up. They have a plaque on the back of the door that clearly states that hotels are obliged to provide adequate locking mechanisms, among other things. I don't care what hotel you're staying at, if you are unhappy with your stay for whatever reason, you have EVERY RIGHT to change locations without harassment from the proprietors.

Bottom line, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere (~$50 cab ride from FLL airport); prostitutes across the street at night -- yes, there were; located in a shady neighborhood; the taxi driver had no idea where this place was; shady guests staying there (as a female, I did not feel safe in the hotel or the neighborhood to be walking around alone); they didn't seem to have an elevator, so I don't know how disabled patrons would be accommodated and no one offered to help me carry my suitcase up to my room; the hotel itself is straight out of the 1950s and could definitely use a massive renovation. The internet hardly worked inside the rooms and we were warned by the staff that we might have to sit outside on the balcony to get a clear signal, and one of the ladies (and I use that term very loosely) accidentally let it slip that they rent out their rooms for people to live in long-term... like, to LIVE out of on a monthly basis.... so I can only imagine that all of these positive reviews could have possibly been written by these particular tenants...

We ended up moving to the Holiday Inn and for $5 - $10 more, we got a bright, clean room, free shuttle to the airport, free breakfast, FRIENDLY and HELPFUL staff, and within walking distance of a lot more stores and restaurants causing cab rides to be MUCH less expensive. We explained to this new staff what had happened to us and they were just appalled.

I am a super-low maintenance person who does not require grandiose surroundings.... I grew up partly in rural Mexico for a portion of my life so I know how to go without certain luxuries, but this was just NOT a pleasant place to stay.... a more helpful staff would've made the experience a lot better for us, but they totally made it worse. Never trust a business that has a "NO REFUNDS" sign hanging up in its office.... that means they've had enough people demand refunds for them to put that sign up. You've gotta question why.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
FamilyInn2002, Owner at Breakaway Inn, responded to this review, August 1, 2010
I like to respond to the key points of this review.
When this couple of guests checked-in on Friday afternoon, the exact room that they reserved was ready for them. This room was fully remodeled in 2009. Both door lockes { top and bottom} were both functional, so both can be locked from inside, but the key to the top lock was recently lost. To get a new key, required change of lock, which was done as soon as possible, considering it was weekend. We apologized for the delay. After 3 nights, the male guest came in to the office and told me he wants to check out since they found something closer to downtown Ft Lauderdale. When I mentioned our policy, he told me, that because the lock was not changed right away, he should get full refund. He was refunded for the cancelled days.
As for our small, beautiful town of Lauderdale by the Sea, it is the most safe, peaceful and family oriented community. The good reputation of this town can be easily verified with county and state. Our family owned and operated property, is in the center of the town, on residential street, across from Community Church, kids playground, police station and City Hall.
The accomodation for disabled guests is located on ground floor.
The long term guests are the "snow birds" that stay with us all winter.
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

We have stayed here twice a year for the past 4 years. We find the owners are wonderful and very caring about their clients, it is like we are visiting family when we are there. The rooms are clean, we are close to the beach and a variety of restaurants. We also like the fact that a maid is not knocking on the door every morning at 9AM.
We would recommend this little diamond in the rough to anyone that wants to relax.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Breakaway Inn? Share your experiences!