“Lovely, but....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Tropicaire Motel

You added Tropicaire Motel to your Saves list
Tropicaire Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4553 Bouganvilla Drive, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Warsaw, Indiana, Usa
“Lovely, but....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We stayed for 3 evenings before a week condo elsewhere, and then scheduled one night at the end of our vacation before flying out. Two nights after we'd checked out, I received a phone call from Ted on Sunday morning, canceling our reservation for the following Friday night because they didn't have room for us. I had reserved it with a credit card 2 1/2 weeks ago, but they apparently had not kept accurate records or were more concerned about booking a new and larger party than my husband and I. I've heard of over-booking but never expected it in the smaller family owned businesses that we prefer. I would have scored 'overall' and 'service' much higher, as Ted's wife was very kind and accommodating, but the cancelation caused the 'hit'.

• Stayed July 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Stoke, Quebec
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Close to the beach, stores and night life, but not very clean. Our feet were black from walking on the floor, so we washed utensils, plates and cups before using them, even the chairs. We will not go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Buffalo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

If your looking for the Ritz Carlton then this is not the property for you. If your looking for personal service by the owner, friendly staff and in the heart of everything this place is for you. Rooms have no carpet, which is really nice. They are cleaned everyday, and if you need anything at all (even a beach towel) all you have to do is ask Ted, the owner. He also lives on the property so he is always available. He even transported me to the airport for a minimal fee. Some rooms have kitchens, which is also nice. I like the fact that I didn't have to eat out for every meal. The rooms without a full kitchen have a fridge, microwave, coffee pot & toaster, as well as dishes.

The pool is great. Very clean and also heated. The property itself is very quiet and not on the main streets, but just a 1/2 a block from the beach and every restaurant and shop imaginable.

I will definitely be back next year, and would highly recommend this motel !!! Thanks Ted for a great stay !!!

Room Tip: I really liked room 101.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

If you have a choice don't go there, the hotel need an overhaul. Everything is old and stained. The pillows were flat and yellow. The bed spread was stained and. Although the hotel is non smoking, the room reeked of cigarettes.

Room Tip: Don't go to room 12, there are bedbugs!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
tropicairemotel, Manager at Tropicaire Motel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
I'm Manager of the Tropicaire Motel, after reading this negative review I'd to write my comments.
I do remember those couple who step in from the street looking for place to stay. At the time I did not have any room available but did show them room which will be open in a few days. They did like and decided to comeback at the day when room will be open. They rented this room and were happy at that time. I did not recall any complaints regarding to this room.. On a second day they asked for refund even though, policy not allowed for refund for early departure but I agree to refund the full amount. My policy is to satisfy everyone so if somebody is not happy I do not won’t the guest to stay in the Motel. Like old saying is “one bad apple can spoil whole bushel"?
I do have maid service every day to make sure that rooms are nice and clean. According to pillows preference, some guests like thick and some slim pillows I do have variety of thickens up to request. Some people have "Ace" in a Hole" to use as their advantage. In my opinion people like them are never happy and looking for to blame somebody else for their unhappiness. I’m open 24 hours to please my guests and correct any problem in the motel.
Referring to the reviews as is showed majority of my guests are happy.
Thanks to all my quest who are appreciated Tropicaire Motel.
My Regards to all my guests,
Manager TED
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This motel is very highly recommended by me and my family. I have been there three times already with my family and every time we had very good time. Rooms are clean with small kitchen and no carpet which was important to me. Rooms cleaned every day. There is an outdoor pool and grill area. Motel is placed in very convenient location, very close to the beach, to all restaurants and cafes and to the grocery stores. The owner of this motel Ted is a very friendly and charming person who helps you if you need anything. In two words he is a wonderful person. I will be back for sure.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

If you're looking for high-end amenities or a more raucous spring break-type atmosphere, then you're definitely better off at a major chain hotel several miles south. My girlfriend and I spent several days here lounging by the motel's charming pool and engaging with the world-traveling guests that filled up the rooms. Our room had a small kitchen, an outdoor grill area, and the pool was only steps from our door. The beach is 1 block from the hotel and a variety of stores and a super quaint section of Fort Lauderdale is within a 4 block radius. Great for couples or families looking to unwind and engage in friendly conversation with other travelers...oh, and the manager, Ted, was as friendly as they come! Definitely a great place for those on a budget.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jersey Shore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Yes, it was clean, but, frankly, that's about the only positive thing I can say about Tropicaire. Everything was dated. Looks like it hasn't had anything done to it since 1955. Furniture, lighting fixtures, bathroom - all old and unmatched. Most of the guests have been going there for years, so it's an old (and I mean old) friends club. Of course, these people seem to love it. They are either in serious need of new glasses, or just not very fussy. The area is shaky at best.

Room Tip: Avoid this place.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Tropicaire Motel? Share your experiences!