“Excellent staff” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4229 N Ocean Drive, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Excellent staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Lovely staff!,,it was awesome xperience we loved itStaying at the Horizon by the Sea was a GREAT location, right across the street from the beach! The room is very basic, but that is all you need at the BEACH! There is an outside yard with places to sit in the shade or sun, a clean pool, coin laundry, an eating area and free coffee in the mornings (go early for the coffee, it will be gone by 10!). The room was clean, they made the bed everyday and checked to see if we needed more towels. My only complaint is that the floors started to collect a lot of sand and they never dry-mopped the floor, which was icky. The owners I only spoke with once but they are always around if you need them, and the wife is very nice

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Stowe, Vermont
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Worst experience ever!!!!! The manager there was verbally abusive and frighteningly aggressive. At one point he was shaking a screw driver at me and yelling at me in the office (10x10 room). Long story short we were trying to get our money back due to his lack of respect and he got more and more aggressive. My friend and I felt so abused we called the local authorities. We got our money back. But it was by far the worst experience ever. I'll never stay at a no named brand hotel again.

Room Tip: Pick another place to stay all together...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
horizonbythesea, Owner at Horizon By The Sea Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
You used fake name and location but we know who you are. Guess who wrote this full of lies review is actually from Royal Palm Beach, Florida. The make long story short I refunded money to guest and I was the one who called police and asked authorities to remove guests from our property. Is not much more to say about this whole situation besides fact this review is made up by person who does not respect others and is a big lair.
Cambridge, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Staying at the Horizon by the Sea was a GREAT location, right across the street from the beach! The room is very basic, but that is all you need at the BEACH! There is an outside yard with places to sit in the shade or sun, a clean pool, coin laundry, an eating area and free coffee in the mornings (go early for the coffee, it will be gone by 10!). The room was clean, they made the bed everyday and checked to see if we needed more towels. My only complaint is that the floors started to collect a lot of sand and they never dry-mopped the floor, which was icky. The owners I only spoke with once but they are always around if you need them, and the wife is very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main office because they do have a dog that barks a lot.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bonn, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stayed in this hotel during a trip through Florida in April this year.
First of all the location of the place is quite convenient, it's 2 blocks from the beach and some bars/cafes/Walgreen's etc. are within walking distance. Although the A1A passes directly by the hotel, you don't hear much of the traffic at night.
The pool, garden etc. around the hotel is quite clean and well-kept. The rooms are ok, bathrooms are clean, furniture is a bit aged already and A/C as well as beds make quite a lot of noise, so I had to turn the A/C off at night to be able to sleep.

We were travelling with a group of 3 people and had booked the first night via expedia. As there was no further description of the rooms on the net, we choose the biggest option (2-bedroom apartment).
Upon arrival, the owner told us that we wouldn't need such a big room for just 3 people, we could also take the smaller room (1 bedroom, 1 living room with sleeping sofa), which was arond 40$ less. We were quite pleased that the owner himself had offered this and wanted to move rooms, but then he told us it was not possible, as we had booked the first night via Internet and he already had to give the fees for the more expensive room to expedia etc. (which we quite understood), but they told us if we would stay longer he could offer us the smaller room for better conditions.
As we liked the idea, we decided to stay another night and asked the next day to move to the smaller room, but then suddenly we were told that we could only get the smaller room if we stayed additional 3 or more nights instead of just 2, otherwise they couldn't give us the smaller room (which I then didn't understand any more... as the place was quite empty and nearly all rooms were vacant).

Looking up the smaller room on the same day on expedia afterwards, it was even advertised for a lower price than the owner had offered us and we could have easily booked via expedia and moved the room and would have even paid less... so this left us with sort of a foul taste...

We then moved to another place in Lauderdale by the Sea which was 15$ more per night, but directly on the beach and in a way better shape, and definitely worth the higher price.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Sterling va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I just came back from my vacation and I found right hotel for me!!!! I felt very safe because owners always were there. Very clean room with kitchen, very nice bathroom (elegant counter tops) every day fresh towels -what is very important. TV with a lots of channels. Great pool , very nice sitting area. Private parking. Location was wonderful - walking distance to shopping ,restaurant's and bar's area. Ocean Is one block from hotel ! And what is very very important are very friendly owners! THANK YOU and I "ll be back with my friends!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

THis is a great hotel. We were welcomed by a very friendly helpful nice owner who checked us in showed us around and took us over to our room. Room very nice- bright , clean and quiet. The pool is awesome. It is in a great location at Lauderdale by the Sea, and I was very impressed. I will be staying in the area frequently in the near future, bringing many family members---and I hope I can always stay at Horizon by the Sea.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Schaumburg, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Owner was very welcoming when we arrived and had our nice room all ready for us. Clean, safe room and very nice bathrooms (elegant counter tops). The hotel is very close to many different types of restaurants and bars. Good price for value. We will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: We loved staying at Horizon by the Sea Inn!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Horizon By The Sea Inn? Share your experiences!