“Can I live here? Please?” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4628 N. Ocean Drive, Lauderdale by the Sea, FL 33308   |
Special Offer
CALL HOTEL, SAVE 25%
Philadelphia
“Can I live here? Please?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

I arrived Wednesday morning and was immediately greeted by Bo, the owner. I walked through bamboo gates into this luscious tropical sanctuary surrounding a lovely pool. I was meeting my aunt who had been to this resort twice in the past 6 years and we were treated if we were regulars. The room was beautiful, two full beds, cable, full eat in kitchen and a spacious bathroom and closet space. There is a house keeper 7 days a week, Yolanda who magically makes your room look like you never stepped foot in it. Fresh towels everyday, beds made, amazing service! I can see why my Aunt stays here when she travels. Its about 3/4 block from the beach, and 3 blocks from downtown pelican square in LBTS. Anglins Pier is 24 hours and has amazing pelicans and fishing! Everything you need is in walking distance including a Publix, my new favorite grocery store. I cannot wait to go back and am already plotting my next trip down there. It was a scathingly brilliant adventure!

ps. make sure you sit in the chairs in the corner by the pool, they are like hammocks and cradle you in the womb of florida.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Stanford, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

This resort scores high on location for us. Sure, it is separated from the beach by 2rows of houses/more motels along a road that runs at the back but I've got legs to walk. It's not a fancy place, more reminiscent of a BnB (without the breakfast) with hosts who are eager to please. Within 2mins of us going to our rooms, Bo brought us beach towels. The kitchenette was well equipped with pots, saucepans, knives, cutlery, a kettle, microwave, large fridge, coffee maker, toaster etc. This is ideal for a family who doesn't want to pay $20+ for a pasta dish at the restaurants in town.

Room 203 us spacious and has a King bed (plenty of pillows) and a twin day bed for our kid and staying there, we encountered no musty smell at all. The decor may seem dated, but not tacky. I was impressed with the soundproofing and we couldn't hear the family next door (we saw they had several kids) unless we pressed our ear to the wall. And who does that anyway?!

Walking to the pier, which charges $2 per head for sightseers, we passed 2 other motels we were considering, they are closer to the beach and looked newer on the outside. But for the price we paid, this is the best value indeed.

Only down side, they only provide a bar of Irish Spring soap. Fortunately we brought our own shampoo and conditioner!

• Stayed March 2012
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

And in our case, my partner and I were "both pleased...the entire time" during our stay. BFR was an incredibly inviting ambiance and the florestal fauna to which you felt you had been magically transported to just beyond the inviting bamboo gate - took you to wherever your imagination wanted to fly..... If ever there was a reason to trust a google search of circling a mouse pointer over Lauderdale by the Sea and eventually honing in on ONE place (but of COURSE reviews are a key ingredient..... :) - Best Florida Resort was a bulls-eye hit.

EVERYTHING that you possibly needed to enjoy, as a "tourist" was within walking distance. There is no comparison of "sanitized paradise" from some of the more "established hotel/motel chains" to personally owned and operated establishments such as BFR.

While Bo was serious (and she has every right, this is her "home" and she's offering you a paradisical dream with a little "slice of heaven" for extremely reasonable rates) I fully understand her wishing to keep BFR in such a presentable condition to which you do wish to come back to, time and time again. Well done, and if she'll have us there again, WE will feel honored to be her guests.

St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We discovered this little gem when we walked by on our last visit to LBTS. It's like a little oasis tucked away behind the walls. The rooms are spotless and very unique, each with it's own character. There are some great restaurants by the Pier which is only a 10 minute walk away and a Publix is almost directly across the street! The owners were fantastic. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: If you visit during the summer months some rooms are cooler than others! Check the AC's.
Rutland, Vermont
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

If you don't mind walking to the pier, beach and stores, all within 5-15 minutes you could make this work. The free chairs are a joke, if you go to the beach you will have to rent some. My AC did not work well at all and my WI FI in the room did not work. No ice machine. But I do believe it to be a clean hotel, I would just check out other options in the area first.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was adorable and clean! The room was very home-y. Staff was very accommodating! Price was great! Location is only a 10 min walk from the pier! Will stay there again! Highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I’m sitting on the king sized bed in room 203 of the Best Florida Resort Motel in LBTS, watching TV. My wife and I just finished a dinner that we bought at the Publix grocery store 100 yards north of here, prepared in our kitchenette here in this efficiency room, and took outside to eat at a poolside table. Then we took a walk down to the center of town to people watch and enjoy some ice cream for dessert. The ocean waves can be heard about 100 yards to our east.

I wasn’t planning to write this review at this time, but I went on line to surf (the internet connection here in the room is great) and went to this TripAdvisor website and began reading the reviews. I saw the one that was written on March 3rd of this year by someone who was staying in this very room just a few weeks ago, and I was dumbfounded. I felt I had to respond with my alternative viewpoint.

My wife and I have stayed here before, and returned this year for a two week stay. We love it. The room is clean (no smells that offend), with cross ventilation for the ocean breezes (and A/C just in case it is necessary). The owners Bo and Thomas are wonderful innkeepers, very responsive and engaging. The room is serviced every day but Sunday by a thorough and friendly woman.

No, this isn’t The Ritz. Rather it has the charm and character of a well lived in motel that is kept neat and clean and is beautifully located for the most reasonable price in town. In peak season we are paying $1,000/week. You can’t beat that. We’ll be back.

PS: There are 4 or 5 good restaurants in town, and The Sea Watch restaurant is just a 15 minute walk up the beach. Don't miss it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Best Florida Resort? Share your experiences!