“Labor Day Weekend Visit 2013” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Lakes Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Land O Lakes
Paradise Lakes Resort
2001 Paradise Lakes Blvd, Land O Lakes, FL 33558   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Land O Lakes
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
“Labor Day Weekend Visit 2013”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We visited Paradise Lakes over the Labor Day weekend. We stayed two nights and don’t imagine ever going back.

There were good and bad parts to our visit. We will list a few of those and maybe offer a little advice to the management if they read this.

You are warned not to bring ANY food or beverage including water on to the grounds. This is so you have to purchase everything there. We found that to be a little concerning but we gave it a try. A mixed drink at the bar was $7. Very expensive and not strong, plus the bartenders where slow even with it not being very busy. We did not eat the food but it was around $7 for a burger cooked out on a gas grill. Seemed expensive for the value, we left and went elsewhere to eat and drink for a while.

The grounds are nice, the place is well kept, the pools clean and in good repair. Our room was as to be expected from other reviews, a bit outdated but all we did was sleep in it anyway.
The nightclub/disco was fun on Saturday night but it felt a bit like watching our mom and dad dirty dance in skimpy clothes. We are in out mid 40’s and were probably the youngest or close to the youngest guests. We are also in pretty good shape, putting us in yet again another minority category.

All the guests seemed very nice, we just move at a faster pace. They had bingo on Sunday afternoon… (remember this is a holiday weekend) so you can tell the crowd they are catering too. We had breakfast at the restaurant on Sunday morning and it was terrible! We waited forever, for an one over easy egg and muffin and it was over hard and cold.

Overall just not a place for us… maybe the prices for food and drink are lower when it is not a holiday weekend…

As for advice, keep your prices reasonable then people wont think about sneaking in beverages to their rooms (some did we saw it, we did not). Keep the food reasonable and tasty, like $2 for a burger, you don’t want people leaving the resort to get food. Consider making clothing a requirement in the restaurant. I don’t want to eat a Prime Rib dinner and have some naked old man sitting at a table next to me. Kind of strange and it cheapens the experience. Also, find a way to attract a more diverse crowd… we don’t mind older guests, but you have to have a better mix.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

64 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brooksville Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We see some negative photos up here. What folks need to realize is this. The resort was in limbo until about 1 year ago (September 2012). New owners (Jerry and Patti) took over at that time and have done so much to improve the facilities, atmosphere and overall appearance of the resort. We love it. We are members there and we spend 2 or 3 days a week there and sometimes a couple weekends a month. The negative photos posted in the reviews are a result of a long duration of inattention. Rooms may not be of the same quality of a large Hilton or other big property, but they are very nice, very comfortable. We have found that if we identify a concern, that all the staff is very quick to offer corrections and address the problems. We would highly recommend this resort to anyone who wants to stay there. It is 100 times better than other similar resorts. The pricing (while not considered "cheap") is very competitive, the membership is so friendly, and the staff are among the best you can ask for. (Elizabeth, Tony, Robert, Heather, Rene, Jesse, Tom, Rosie, Amanda and the list goes on.....are friendly polite, and sociable!), There are nights where it is a wild crazy place and other nights that are laid back. It is a good place for all to make friends, socialize and watch events unfold as they naturally happen. According to management, a convenience store, suites and other improvements are on the list for the near future. Don't miss it!

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are great....but they do rent condos on site and in the condos you can have food, bo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

Have been here before, but first time booking a cabana. Nice decor, but really needs a closet to hang clothes correctly. Air conditioner is running continuously and loud...management may want to re-think replacing/upgrading units. Bed and pillows were very good and provided a well-rested night after a long travel day. Too bad there is no coffee units in the rooms, we are early risers and adore coffee first thing without having to leave room to get courtesy coffee at front desk. Pool and hot tub area was very quiet, most folks kept to themselves, even while in the pool, which is generally a gathering place. The area remains very clean and well manicured, which adds to the overall experience of this little oasis. We've always found the staff to be very courteous and helpful. The Key West bar is convenient, well stocked, and bartenders know their drinks, which we really appreciate. Have eaten in Key West and find it just fine. We didn't dine at the resort that night, but found a wonderful Italian spot just up the street. We'll be back as we do plan on moving to Florida and this will be one of our winter places to visit. Do wish they were AANR though.

Room Tip: Liked the bottom floor since chaise loungers were right outside your room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Altamonte Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

First thing I noticed, which was a turn off. The wall they have surrounding their property has a huge sign painted on there. Paradise Lakes, where you can swim nude. (something to that effect) Then it was hard to find the entrance, because there are so many little streets. When we pulled up there was no one in the security booth. There was a sign saying "having gate issues". So we went through the gate that was left open (lacking security) and had no idea where to go. They need a sign pointing to the check-in building, because the first building you see is their real estate office. We checked in with no issues, the lady was polite. One thing I did not like is having to carry your luggage through the pool deck if you are staying pool side. It can be a bit tricky if there are a lot of people laying out. They should have a side gate to use. Have a key system or something. We got there early Friday Afternoon. We were able to enjoy the pool and have some drinks from The Key West Bar. Drinks were good, but they use very small plastic cups. I think they should be a bit larger for what they charge. They also never tell you your total when you order. Even if it is a running tab, every time someone puts an order in the customer should be told what that order total comes too.

If you are staying pool side you CANNOT have liquor, not even in your room. My husband is a Scotch Drinker and they did not have very good Scotch. Later Friday it started to rain so we went to our room. The TV did not work so we called the front desk and they sent a man out just to tell us the TV did not work. No wi-fi in the rooms either ;(. The rain stopped and we went outside again. We asked if we should make dinner reservations and we were told yes, we should because at 7pm 75 couple's were coming in (Tampa Bay Lifestylers). I was a little nervous about that. However, they made the place happening. Reveal (dance/bar) was very very packed and hard to get served. I believe there were 2 men behind the bar and I believe Heather was the waitress taking orders and serving. They were all pleasant even though they were stressed and under staffed. My husband and I are not into the life style but, they were fun and enjoyable. They did not bother us at all. The food at the restaurant was OK. Not bad, but nothing great. However, it served it's purpose. I ordered a drink at dinner and the waitress had to run over to Key West to get the drink, because there was no one in the bar where the restaurant was. That was a little awkward watching her walking in the rain with a drink in hand. The conversational pool was nice and warm and very busy. We had a good time.

We turned in for the night. A few things.... The doors to the room are glass so they have wide blinds covering the window. Some of the slats were missing and broke. I know it is a nudist resort, but we like some privacy. The blinds do not keep the lights out. If you are a light sleeper like I am you will have issues with this. They need to put a curtain rod up with curtains on rings to open and close the curtains for privacy and block out the lighting. The bed was a king and very comfortable, the room was clean. No small coffee maker or blow dryer :(. Rooms were small but we did not spend a lot of time in the room so they are perfect. I love the fact there are umbrellas already at the pool area. They need to pressure wash their deck in some places and their lounge chairs, but it is Florida and mold grows fast. It really was not an issue for us. Pools were very clean and probably the only pools I have been in and are not freezing! VERY COMFORTABLE!!!

We never been there before and I heard there are new owners. There are a few things they need to work on but it can not happen all at once. The average age I'd 60 and up. We are 45/51 yrs old. However, the age thing does not bother us at all. I do not get the fact when you are spending the night you still get hit with Day Fees. They are not high like Caliente, however we go to the Cove a lot and never get not with day fees if we are staying there.

All in all we would return to Paradise Lakes again! We had a great time.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Altamonte Springs, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

My wife and I paid a visit to Paradise Lakes for the first time over the weekend. Here is a look at what we found at the facility.

Check-in was a little sketchy. Coming in there was a gate but no gate guard. Security was lacking thanks to the fact that the gate was broke. Stupid me stopped at the gatehouse to find it empty. We backed up and entered through the open gate. I had to do a little looking to figure out where to go for check-in. They probably could use a little signage or some direction in that area.

We got checked in and were staying in a Poolside Cabana. These are a catch-22. If you stay in the Poolside Cabanas you can't bring alcohol, food or coolers in. So it can be a bit inconvenient. But you are a short walk out to the pool so there is some value to that. But as can be seen, that value comes at a price.

The Poolside Cabanas are nicely appointed and offer all the room we needed since we spend little time in them. Some issues presented themselves in our unit and I will offer these as future suggestions for the new owners. First, our TV didn't work at all on arrival. My wife likes to watch TV before bed as it helps her to sleep. They couldn't figure out what was wrong so all weekend we had nothing. The maintenance man basically came in and said "Yep, it doesn't work". I could have told him that... There is no WIFI in the Cabanas. With the TV out, WIFI would have been nice. As an IT tech, I know it wouldn't be too difficult to set up. I would suggest it in the future. No coffee maker in the room. My wife HAS to have her morning coffee. A small thing that pays dividends. No blow dryer available. Once again, it's the small things that pay dividends. Finally, closeable curtains over the doors to block out the bright pool lights coming through the slats of the shades at night.

If you are looking for a GREAT time and a party, I HIGHLY recommend visiting during a life style event even if you are not a life styler as we are not. Whether you participate in that or not, if you want to have fun they do like to have fun and make a great party atmosphere. If that isn't going on, you may just find yourself VERY bored unless you like blessed silence and nothing happening.

With the exception of the lifestylers, the average age is going to be high. 50 and unders will be a minority.

The employees for the most part were great. The one's who stand out in my mind would be Joe and Elizabeth in the poolside bar. They were under-staffed on the arrival of the lifestylers while we were there and it did cause some stress. In fact, I walked into the poolside bar to get drinks for my wife and I when I was accosted by an individual about the fact that he felt there was some kind of line. I never tried to cut in front of anyone and was a little impatient with the individual. He called me a choice name and left. Elizabeth was a little stressed but relaxed quickly when my antagonist walked out the door.

As for the restaurant, I would say the food was ok. My wife's steak was a little overcooked but still tender and tasteful. I had meatloaf and it was actually good. The choices on the menu were miniscule and could probably could use a little TLC.

Club Reveal was EXTREMELY crowded Friday night with the arrival of the lifestylers. The big issue here once again was under-staffing. It made it difficult to get a drink and probably cost the owners some money from people who may have spent more money if the staffing levels were on par with the crowd.

On the subject of the bars on the premises, I wanted to be able to sip some decent Scotch. Much to my surprise the bars didn't have good Scotch on the shelves. I didn't like that too much due to the fact that I couldn't bring in my own Scotch and couldn't get decent Scotch from the bar. To the new owners, get some out there. And maybe review the beer taps and add a little extra variety. The pool bar had 5 taps, 3 of which were the usual American beer. I drank the Sam Adams Summer Ale but to be honest, I would have preferred Blue Moon.

I liked the fact that my wife and I could be affectionate within reason without having someone tap on our shoulder and say "that is too much". That and the reasonable cost pretty much guarantees our return to Paradise Lakes in the future. With that area growing at a rapid rate, bringing Paradise Lakes on par with the competition a short drive away would be a great thing for this facility. It has a LOT of potential. I look forward to seeing what the future brings.

Room Tip: Poolside Cabanas don't allow you to bring alcohol, coolers or food. Keep that in mind when you b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
ParadiseLakesResort, General Manager at Paradise Lakes Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at Paradise Lakes Resort. Our guests and members insights and opinions are valuable to us. We are sorry you had an issue with the TV in your room, it is my understanding that maintenance replaced your TV as soon as they were notified that you had an issue. We are also glad you enjoyed the party hosted by TBL, whose demographic age range is between 35 & 60, it is possible you may be talking about a different hosting that has a older demographic range. Also, with regard to Scotch, we have a variety of Scotch available to our our guests. We are quickly approaching the one year anniversary of the new owners, and are very pleased with the strides they have made thus far. We do have WiFi in all of our Cabana rooms, might we recommend if you have trouble with WiFi on you next visit that you contact the front desk for technical assistance, they will be happy to assist you with the connection. We are pleased that you plan to return, guest satisfaction is our number one goal. Again, if you have any issues or are unable to connect the next time you visit, please do not hesitate to contact someone for assistance. Also, with regard to our no food or beverage policy in the Cabana rooms, might we suggest that you reserve one of our many studio, or one/two bedroom condo's. Although they are not poolside, they are very close to the club and you can bring any food and beverage you would like. When making your reservation, please request a non-cabana room. Again, we thank you for your review.
gulfport, fl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My hubby and I love to camp and kayak but sometimes we just want to chill - we go to Paradise. The rooms have always been lovely and clean (new owners are doing a great job), they have 4 pools, a restaurant, (ok, can't give the restaurant a very good review, hence 4 not 5 stars), two bars, and you always end up chatting with really friendly people. It is a naturalist resort, and amazingly comfortable. No one is inappropriate ( you will get kicked out if you are, it's a nudist resort not a sex club) and it's just a great place to lay out, read a book, play some water volleyball, or sing some kareoke. And most importantly for me, slow down.

Room Tip: Ask for poolside first floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My first visit was in December 2012 and I have been back several times since that first visit! I heard negative stories about the previous owner and the downward spiral, but I sensed and experienced quite the opposite with the direction the new owners are taking this classic resort. I saw extreme improvements with each visit.

The prices are reasonable. The staff is friendly and accommodating. The food has vastly improved. The variety of pools are a nice option - volleyball, conversation, hot tub and 2 other larger pools. There is something for everyone. The atmosphere is comfortable and relaxed.

The themes and entertainment options are fun and fabulous! Several dj's are used, so each style is refreshing in Club Reveal. Karaoke is popular! LOVE, LOVE having live music outdoors during the afternoon on the weekends. How relaxing is that -- lounging in the sun by the pool, hanging out with friends, yummy and refreshing beverages, good food and entertainment!!

The new "Boutique" is filled with many options for women of all sizes and tastes. No need to go shopping for a new outfit for the nightclub. Options to fit the themes are usually available also.

The resort didn't go downhill in a day and can't be "re-built" in a day, but it is amazing what has been accomplished by the new owners in less than one year!! The owners and general manager are approachable, and appreciate ideas and comments. Don't hesitate to give it a try!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Paradise Lakes Resort? Share your experiences!