“Much better than I expected;more reviews please.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Scotland/Sanibel
“Much better than I expected;more reviews please.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

Got this restaurant off the GPS; the wonders of modern living. Had a senior moment when I was desperate for an Indian Restaurant! And would never have found it without the GPS!

First impressions are that it is odd. It looks more like a house than a restaurant and shares the building with a Pain Management surgery.Do not wander in the wrong door!

Once inside you go down a corridor with a few twists and turns to find the restaurant. And you find chilly air conditioning,simple tables and rather basic chairs....

After that things look up. Our vedgetarian curries were good and the quantities were excellent. Far too much rice to actually eat. The nan was also first class. The place was very busy and the service was good. Very enjoyable all round.

• Visited April 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Orlando, Florida
“No longer what it used to be”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

Cafe Roti was a great place until this past year. The service was, and in all honesty still IS, excellent...but the service is the only thing they still have going for them. The food was delicious; they had a lunch buffet for about $10 per person, and if you ordered off the menu or came at dinner time, you'd find generous proportions for your entree. The buffet wasn't even much of a draw for my husband and I - we most often went at dinner because our favorite dish (vegetable korma) was rarely on the lunch buffet. Even at dinner, the restaurant was always crowded, and there was usually a wait for a table.

About a year ago, they decided to close the lunch buffet. I've never heard a good reason why they chose to do this, and it makes no sense. Lunch was their big money-maker - this restaurant is right across the street from the hospital, and is just two blocks down from the largest health clinic in the area, as well as being adjacent to many small clinics and doctors offices - the place was always full of doctors and nurses at lunch time (who left quite generous tips), or doctors and nurses ordering takeout!

One month ago, my husband and I decided to go to Cafe Roti for dinner, since that is all they are open for now. Apparently, others have seen the decline in quality - there were only two other people there, and it was only 6:30 PM. We ordered our food and noticed right away that the appetizer was half, perhaps less than half, the size it used to be. Then the food arrived...in smaller dishes, and in much smaller portions. The food quality also wasn't that great, and they are definitely skimping on ingredients. Of course, the price is still the same.

I understand the economy is in a turmoil right now, but I know that isn't why they closed their lunch buffet. I know they are skimping on ingredients and making smaller portions for dinner, I assume to save money, but if they hadn't gotten rid of lunchtime hours they wouldn't be in financial trouble now! As before, the still-abundant crowds at dinnertime show that the draw wasn't the buffet, it was the food. Now that the food isn't any good anymore, the crowds are gone. It's sad, this was my favorite restaurant for years, and due to the decline in quality, I don't foresee it staying open much longer.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere