“You Get What You Paid For” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Avenue Hotel Lakeland

and 1 more site!
You added The Avenue Hotel Lakeland to your Saves list
The Avenue Hotel Lakeland
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3405 S. Florida Avenue, Lakeland, FL 33813 (Formerly Holiday Inn Lakeland-South)   |
Ranked #21 of 32 Hotels in Lakeland
Savannah, Georgia
“You Get What You Paid For”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This hotel was exactly what I paid for-cheap. The bed was comfortable and clean-I did sleep well-there was plenty of hot water-and a fridge (nice touch). BUT, the room was outdated, the wallpaper was, well...wallpaper. No elevator at this place and no restaurant on site. Open hallways, so not very secure feeling-especially when the maid opened our door hours before checkout. Only a slide latch between us and her.
The walls had obviously patched (not very well) holes. The grout was damaged, the toilet tank was a questionable color (is that mold?) and the toilet flushed V-E-R-Y slowly. The towels however were soft and fluffy.
When we checked in, there was a loud graduation party going on in the meeting hall. When we checked out , there was a loud church service in progress. Odd combination. The staff were friendly and polite, even helpful. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor room-the staff told me these rooms are rarely used and so not as worn. Choose...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Stephanie D, General Manager at The Avenue Hotel Lakeland, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience at our hotel. On behalf of our staff, we strive to improve our services for all of our guests. In doing so we will carefully review your constructive feedback to ensure a better experience for all future stays with us.
Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
St. Petersburg, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I booked a room in this hotel and I completely regret it. First room, I requested non-smoking. Someone had smoked in there. They moved me to a second room, explaining that "we left the front door open until our maintenance man can get there because the lock doesn't work." As maintenance guy is fixing lock, I'm carrying my things inside from the car. A strange man in the parking lot is walking back and forth in front of my room, saying "Ohhh, they brought me a fun one tonight." Scary!!

I head to front desk and explain that I'm not comfortable at all. They tell me they can move me to a third room, closer to and right behind the office. Reluctantly, I accept. I get to third room. No AC. I can even put up with THAT. I grab the ice bucket and there are bugs, live bugs inside. I can't take anymore. My bags are packed.

Head BACK to office. Give them my key and say that I am checking out, please refund my room. They explain that Expedia is the only one that can refund that since I booked through them. I go to my NEW hotel, spend an hour on the phone with Expedia while they are on the other line with the hotel. The hotel flat-out refuses to credit me.

The next day, I am back at the horrible hotel for that business meeting, and once again, ask the front desk about crediting my room. Once again, they refuse.

This place was a complete nightmare. And BEWARE. The website is NOTHING like the real thing. It's scary.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Valley City, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Clean decent hotel in Lakeland. Hotel is aged but kept clean and in good repair. Many other hotels in area are very run down and unkept. Excellnt location. Many resturants very close and most within walking distance.

Room Tip: No elevators
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Nashville, Tennessee
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights and though there were positive aspects of the hotel, they were also some challenges.

1. The rooms were very clean. The cleaning staff kept the room very clean, and I was very impressed with not only how well they did cleaning the rooms, but they were always very pleasant and friendly.

2. I can't say the same for the front staff. There were certainly some that were very pleasant and helpful, but upon arriving, they seemed bothered and, behaved in a strange manner, telling me and 2 other guests that "rooms were not ready yet, because they were full last night", yet, suddenly all the rooms became clean at the same time, and when I went to my room, there were multiple rooms that were not being used. It was almost as if the desire to get into the room was not welcome.

3. The pool and hot tub were great to have, however, the pool was dirty. I understand how challenging it may to keep clean with the treas and such, but the amount of dead bugs was just nasty.

4. The hotel is old, and the breakfast is lacking in addition to the gold curtains, disco ball, and stage in eating area, provided a very strange kind of atmosphere. They listed having a bar which has not been in service for some time. Overall, it was very strange.

The cleanliness of the rooms was the only thing that made this acceptable. The major reason I will most likely never return is because of the reception staff. Customer service was simply lacking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here two nights and it was a good hotel. Basic continential breakfast, freindly staff, easy in and out. Good location to restaurants and the highway but not ON THE highway!! Not a fancy place at all but clean and hard to beat for the price!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
south florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was not impressed at all in this hotel. The manager Guilla was professional and a huge help in planning a trip there requiring 20 rooms. THere were no other hotels in the area that could accomodate us. once we arrived it was kinda downhill from there. Early check in fee, and a few other issues turned us off immediately. Rooms as a whole were fine, good shower and good towels. most of the outlets were shaky and couldnt be used to plug in chargers and other devices. our phone did not work either. our next door neighbors' door didnt even lock. the hotel was apparently booked solid but yet there werent many cars in the parking lot? Pool was fine. just kinda dissappointed. but like i said, it was a place to sleep.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

So Just This Friday Past My Jrotc Drill Team Stayed A Night At This Hotel. The Cleanliness Was Good However, Laying In My Bed While Everyone Went To The Pool I Heard Banging On The Walls, My Cellphone Went Missing And Appeared In The Top Drawer, The Door Squeaked Everytime You Opened It And The Other Residents Were Inconsiderate And Loud!!! Heard Conversations Through The Walls, The Television Could've Had More Channels, And They Said It Would Be Breakfast In The Morning For Us,, Unfortunately Not. Other Than That I Enjoyed My Stay, Although I Believe Paranormal Activities Are Going On This Hotel All And All I Had A Great Stay ..

• Stayed April 2013

Been to The Avenue Hotel Lakeland? Share your experiences!