“Little Quirky Hotel in Downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Lakeland Terrace Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   329 E. Main St., Lakeland, FL 33801   |
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in Lakeland
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Little Quirky Hotel in Downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

First let me say that most of the year (About 100 nights) I stay at Hilton Properties. There are exceptions to that and this is one of them. Are the rooms big with 50 inch flat screens and waterfall showers ?No!!!!! Beds made of the finest memory foam that mold to your body like a pair of French jeans. Absolutely not!!!!! So what gives why stay here? Yes the rooms are small, furniture a little dated, and they have a T.V. from a by gone era. But the room is clean and if you are there watching T.V. instead of looking on the front porch at the beautiful lake across the street, then you should probably went to a chain hotel. The Terrace has a great front desk staff, A wonderful restaurant with the best smelling lobby in all of hotels. If you are looking for a nights sleep there are plenty of places on the interstate, if your are looking for wonderful experience stay at the Terrace. Only thing I would change are the mattresses.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

It was ok. That is about as good a rating as I can give. We loved the architecture and history, no doubt. The room was clean but slightly outdated. Old CRT television; very odd to see, anymore, in hotels. The mattress.........horrible. We haven't slept on a mattress like that since we were children. The wall between the two rooms where another guest was staying might as well not have been there. We could hear everything. The guy was snapping his fingers and we could hear it. The bathroom was clean and the shower had good pressure. Bed linens were clean. **Spoiler Alert** more down feathers than we could handle. (Allergies)
Upon check-in Philip, did just that, checked us in.......nothing else. He had no personality, was no help what-so-ever, explained nothing; no "elevators are this way", "have you stayed with us before", "you might like these amenities", not even a recommendation to make sure we tried the Grill. Oh, I will give Philip one nod to our stay: we asked for a quiet floor and the quiet side of the hotel-he did not understand the request. Once we explained- his response was, "oh none of that matters here." We did not get the hint. Note to management: try to train your people a little better than cardboard boxes. Here's why our request did not matter- the hotel gets noisy at night (inside and out) and while we heard no trains once nightfall came, but boy were the train horns loud during the day. We tried the hotel out (this trip) and it will ever be designated to a been there, done that, not again place. The valets were great, I will add that in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

This beautiful historical hotel is located downtown across from Lake Mirror. I had a complementary suite that was spacious and included wonderfully woven carpets, in room chandelier, and pictures from Lakeland's past. The lovely house restaurant features marvelous choices of food plus the beauty of the restored ceilings and glass walls. I enjoyed the "porch" like setting outside with wicker rocking chairs and tables for the wine. The Lake Mirror park across the street is a wonderful place to walk and reflect during the day or in the evening. This hotel was well worth the visit.

This hotel is part of the iPrefer network (www.iprefer.com) which groups historical hotels from around the world for discounts and upgrades.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Hotel was very easy to find. It is located downtown Lakeland. Complimentary valet parking. There is a parking garage directly across the street that is free on the weekends. The front desk staff are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are on the small side but we are talking about a historic building and things were smaller back then. Overall, the room and the bath was clean, great A/C. I didn't eat at the Grille, but it smelled great when we walked by. As mentioned in other reviews, the train horn is loud, I guess there is an Amtrak station nearby. However, we had friends at the Hyatt (1/2 mile away) and they heard it too. My favorite thing about the hotel is the sitting area outside the front door. It was nostalgic and a nice place to just hangout, rather than the lobby or your room.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed at The Terrace and the location was perfect for our visit to FSC. The downtown location is perfect and the complimentary valet parking is a great benefit. Along with other local hotels, it offers a discount for FSC visits which made it even more attractive. Our room was comfortable and my daughter used the fitness equipment downstairs. For our purposes, this was the perfect location and the nice terrace overlooking a lake was a welcome respite after long days drive.

• Stayed July 2013
Erica J, Director of Sales at Lakeland Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on your stay here at the Terrace Hotel!

It is our goal to provide our guests with clean and comfortable accommodations along with the uniqueness of a historic, boutique hotel.

We too think the location in Downtown is great and we are thrilled to know the hotel worked well for your needs.

Please feel free to contact us anytime if you have any suggestions on improvement of the property and service!
Spring Hill, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We found this historical hotel to be lovely, clean & comfortable. Although the bed was too hard for my liking, would definitely stay here again. This hotel is perfect for business, couples, family, friends and solo stays.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

My wedding night was spent in the Publix Suite of the Terrace Hotel, and was meant to be a nice treat since we were not going on a honeymoon (in a sense, this WAS our honeymoon). Our one night honeymoon stay in a several hundred dollar suite was a disaster, and the hotel management has chosen to ignore all of our attempts to communicate about the situation from that night.

The ceiling was steadily leaking from the minute we got back to the hotel that night (after the reception) until the ceiling tiles collapsed in the wee hours of the morning (the dripping continued after they fell). After an exhaustively long day, when all we wanted to do was get a small amount of shut eye, we were instead greeted by a perpetual drip that was quite audible from the bed.

While the gentleman who was night staff at the front desk was gracious, the problem was never fully addressed and solved by any member of the staff upon being notified of the problem. The temporary "solution" (stated in my Mother's TripAdvisor review and account of the night) was to place a towel under the drip.

In my opinion, we were incredibly understanding about the situation and handled it respectfully on our end. We did not throw a fit in front of other guests, or scream and rant about the terrible quality of our stay in a public arena - rather, we chose to address the situation behind the scenes with emails and letters (from my parents, who paid for the room). Sadly, every bit of communication has been ignored by the Terrace Hotel's management staff. This reflects incredibly poorly on the care and professionalism of the staff of this hotel and sends a clear and direct message to it's patrons that they do not care about you or your stay.

I do not recommend this establishment and encourage all potential patrons to explore other choices in the beautiful Lakeland area.

(Final Note: While I am not posting photos of the correspondence, we have all of the proof of our attempts at communicating well documented.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Erica J, Director of Sales at Lakeland Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Katie,

I came across your review today and was deeply concerned by all that I have read. I am personally not aware of when you stayed or of these issues you unfortunately had, nor am I aware of the emails and letters you sent to the Terrace Hotel, BUT it is my mission to change all that. It is my mission to help you find some type of resolution.

I want to know your story and every detail of your experience so that I might some how make it right.

I know I can't give you your wedding night back, but I want to help make this right some way, some how.

Please feel free to send me the emails and letters you have tried to get into the hands of management here at the Terrace Hotel. I would like to find why were have not been able to resolve this issue for you in a timely manner.

I am so sorry for all your troubles and again, would like the opportunity to hear from you!

Erica
Sales Manager
sales@terracehotel.com
863-603-5408

Been to Lakeland Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!