“Budget Lodging Right in the Middle of Downtown Lakeland” 3 of 5 stars

Lake Wire Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   244 N Florida Ave, Lakeland, FL 33801   |
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Lakeland
Florida
“Budget Lodging Right in the Middle of Downtown Lakeland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I visited Lakeland, Florida to attend a conference and needed to stay in budget accommodations close to the Lakeland Center, which is their convention center. The convention center is in the downtown, and the Lake Wire Inn is about two miles away, also in the downtown. Very convenient, very affordable, but kind of yucky. Yet, not totally yucky. The hotel is two stories, has an outdoor swimming pool, is near Lake Wire (a very shallow small lake that I see people fishing on the banks of), next to a high school. It is located one block from the downtown bus station and freight train tracks, but just two blocks from Main Street, which is a nice pedestrian-friendly classy dining area (see my review of Harry's Grille on here on TripAdvisor).

All the rooms come with mini fridges, cable and a microwave. The mini fridge was clean and worked fine. The microwave looked clean; I didn't need to use it so I don't know if it worked. The TV is a dinosaur TV, not a flatscreen but the cathode ray type TV, about 36 inches maybe? The channel guide card curiously did not match the actual channels on the TV (for example, if the card said ABC Family was on Channel 4, some other station was actually on Channel 4) and even more curious, the label on the TV itself that came up (like closed captioning) when you dialed up Channel 4 neither matched the channel guide nor the actual channel that displayed (I could tell the channels that actually came up by their logo bugs in the lower thirds). So it was an adventure trying to find something to watch. Also, most of the channels had lines running through them, and at least half of the channels apparently were not being subscribed to. Hopefully, if you stay here, you plan to get your entertainment outside of the room.
The room came with a king sized bed, a small table and a chair, has a large walk-in closet, and its own bathroom. The bathroom has a shower with a glass door; my room's shower door had a huge crack in the bottom of it and it didn't close all the way when I took my shower. A tile in the wall of the shower had the Travelodge logo on it, so I guess this hotel was originally a Travelodge. The water for the shower was hot enough for my needs, but probably not hot enough for most people. I am comfortable with showers at 120 degrees, which is what I got with the hot on full blast and no cold turned on. Again, it did the job for me. The toilet was clean and the sink was clean. The bed actually was comfortable.
The neighborhood was not dangerous at night, at least during the time I was out and about walking. But I suspected this hotel has some unsavory history to it when the manager checked me in and copied down every single piece of information on my driver's license, even though I prepaid for my one night with my credit card. Usually, when I see hotel clerks do this, they are used to being vandalized by their guests and get the type of guests who leave a mess. I suspected this was true when later that night, around 9PM, someone knocked on my door. I tried to peek through the door peep hole only to find the peep hole was apparently missing from the door, the hole there now stuffed with tissues, so I had to look out the window. I saw a man there outside my door and he asked me to open the door so he could talk to me. I told him I didn't know him and wasn't about to open the door for him, and what did he want? He asked me if I knew where some man and some woman's whose names I had never heard of were. I said I didn't know them and to please leave now. He did walk off. About a half hour later, two women hung out by my door loudly talking to each other for a good hour, not swearing but why where they hanging outside my door to have their conversation late at night? Fortunately, by 11PM or so, they left and the hotel actually got quiet, so I was able to sleep. I heard the freight trains go by a block away at least twice during the night -- it wasn't unpleasant, even though I am a light sleeper.
I don't think I would want to sleep here again. I just don't like places where the manager is suspicious of his guests (rightfully so, apparently) or where strangers think I want to talk to them from inside my room. But it certainly wasn't the worst place I have stayed. Oh, and they are not dog-friendly; signage everywhere says pets are not permitted, only service dogs.

Room Tip: Hmm, not sure if they have good rooms. The rooms on the east side of the hotel are near the pool and...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Lakeland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I stayed there 2 weeks and wished I could have afforded to stay longer. The staff was always visible if you needed towels, bedding, whatever and were very friendly. The Wifi would kick off occasionally, but if you just politely ask the front desk to reset the modem, problem solved. TV, free wifi, microwave, fridge in room, a pool outside. Next door to the bus terminal and in walking distance to nightlife. Non smoking rooms so you weren't gagged by the smell of cigarette smoke. Very pleasant, I would definitely stay again

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

My sister was staying here the pics on trip adviser looked clean and good enouph. NOT TRUE.Their was blood on the wall, carpet was disgusting, stale,gross smell, absolutely nasty. I would not shower here, and would rather sleep in my car. Only good thing is location.

Room Tip: do not stay here,NASTY.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jasper, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This appears to be a property that was purchased without the proper revenue to make needed upgrades. The carpet needs replaced-not cleaned. The rooms were as clean as they could be but there was a strong deodorizer aroma that knocked you out when the door was opened. There are also many people residing at this motel. This trip we were traveling on a budget and were lured in by the photos and the proximity to downtown Lakeland. Would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't think there is one.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lake Wire Inn? Share your experiences!