“Great value, again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in Lakeland
Versailles, Kentucky
“Great value, again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is my 3rd Value Place stay, so I'm obviously pretty happy with them. I normally camp, but over Christmas, it takes too long to tow somplace warm, so I usually (3 out of the last 4 years) stay a week at a Value Place. This one didn't have as much noise insulation as the other 2 I've been to, but I have a white noise generator on my computer so I can live with it. This one is in a residential neighborhood with interstate frontage. The neighborhood was OK, but I'm sure You have to take odd routes to get in and out, but it wasn't really a problem. Almost all major chain restaurants are on nearby Highway 98. I have a convertible, so I usually left the car unlocked. Didn't have a problem. I got tyhe non-smoking room I requested, a major plus. I didn't notice any problem with tobacco smoke lingering anywhere, and I am an anti smoking Nazi.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lakeland, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

I was recommended Value Place by my mother when I was transitioning from one city to another. I expected it to be like your standard hotel but it was so much more.

The staff was friendly & always polite. Any concerns were handled promptly no matter the size. I had a slow drain with my toilet. Within 5 minutes of me calling the front desk, maintenance was there fixing it. When I had concerns about the noise above my room, the Manager immediately addressed my concerns & sent staff to check on it. They staff was always great whether it was making payment, addressing a concern, or just walking by.

On to my room. The room was nice & clean. When I first started staying at Value Place, the bed was worn but ok. Over the course of my stay, the bed was upgraded to a nice plush mattress that sits higher up on a metal frame. The linens were standard but are changed consistently and if you want them changed sooner all you had to do was exchange them at the front desk. The TV was also upgraded to flat screens which is a plus verses the cheaper hotel's box TV. The room comes with a full fridge, two stove burners, microwave, plently of cabinet space. A big step up from the standard mini fridge and microwave. So it was basic but still step up from usual.

Overall, my stay was great. It was better than expected. Now when people ask a good place to stay I always recommend Value Place regardless of city or state. It's always the first place I think of if you are looking to stay at a place longer than a week.

• Stayed December 2013
Saint Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I was doing a week-long job in Plant City, and wanted to find something more economical than a standard hotel rate. I got it, but the negatives far outweighed the positives.

Check in was easy enough, if not prolonged. I paid for my room with my credit card and paid the $100.00 deposit in cash. I was assured I would get it back in cash. More on that later.

I don't believe this property has an non-smoking rooms. I was not asked if I had a preference, and every floor had a distinct odor of stale cigarettes. There were two dirty ashtrays in my room when I got there, and they quickly went into a cabinet in the kitchen.

The room was clean and comfortable, but the "add-ons" were ridiculous. Every "extended stay" hotel I've EVER stayed in came complete with dishes and a coffee maker. If I wanted to cook real food (as opposed to prepared microwavable food) I would've had to pay $40.00 for pots, pans, and place settings for two (I was alone). A coffee maker, which every hotel room outside of Las Vegas has, was an additional $30.00. Look, I get the concept of this type of property, but the nickel and diming to death is pathetic.

There is an on-site laundry, which I had planned on taking advantage of. Unfortunately, the two folks at thr front desk when I checked in (Thomas and a woman whose name escapes me) neglected to tell me that, in order to do laundry there, I would need to get one of their cards onto which they would load a dollar amount for me to do laundry. As the "lobby" (it's really a vestibule with a roll up door) is only open from 10am until 2pm, I was unable to get one of those cards, because I was leaving the hotel by 8am and not returning until 10pm.

One morning, my toilet overflowed. I called down to the front desk to ask someone to bring a plunger and a mop and disinfectant. A young man named Austin quickly arrived at my room. He had a mop and a plunger, but no disinfectant. As I didn't know I would need to provide my own cleaning supplies for the room, I was using toilet paper to clean up small spills, as a coaster, etc, and I was just throwing the paper into the toilet. Well, the toilet fought back, and overflowed. Austin assured me he would have housekeeping come in and disinfect the floor, and he made a big deal about this "new stuff" they just got for doing that kind of thing. He also said he would have housekeeping leave a bath mat, as there wasn't one when I checked in.

Well, Austin didn't do any of that. When I returned at about 9:30 that night, nothing had been done. I called the front desk and spoke to Thomas, and I explained what had transpired. I told him that I either neither the floor disinfected or I'd need to be moved to another room. We compromised. He brought me the bath mat I wanted (but should not have needed to ask for), and he would see to it that everything was taken care of the next day. When I arrived, it had been.

The room itself was fine. The microwave was small, but there was a full size refrigerator and a two burner stove that I used for storage since I'd be damned if I was going to pay forty bucks for pots and pans I'd use once. The bed was actually quite comfortable, and the air conditioning worked perfectly. The flat screen television offered basic, analog cable. The water pressure in the shower was a tad weak, but not horrible.

On Saturdays, as I mentioned, the office is open from 10am until 2pm. At around 10:45am I started taking my bags out to my truck. The roll up door in the check-in vestibule was closed, and there were five people standing there waiting for it to open. I went back to my room to retrieve some more of my belongings and, when I got back downstairs, the office was open.

When I said I was checking out, I gave Thomas my room number. Presumably, he brought my file up on the computer and said "So, they've taken care of getting your deposit back to you?"

I asked "Exactly when would they have done that? No, they haven't."

He then asked me if I wanted the deposit put back on my credit card. I reminded him that I paid a cash deposit. He look at the computer screen and said "Oh, yeah". I then handed him the receipt that he, himself, filled out.

As for the hotel, it doesn't appear to be in one of the better parts of town. While there is a Mercedes dealer down the road, the housing units across the street look like a demilitarized zone. Thankfully, parking was always available, and I was able to park my truck within eye-shot of my third floor window every night.

If you're a light sleeper, you'll probably want to find alternative lodging. People in rooms on the fourth floor were, apparently, practicing their MMA fighting techniques. It was noisy, and it was noisy most often at 6am and right before midnight. While the bed was quite comfortable, for this reason I've given "Sleep Quality" a low mark.

At the end of the day, what you get here is a very cheap hotel. I needed cheap this past week. If I need cheap in the future, though, I will opt for "not so cheap" or, perhaps, even "inexpensive". The positive of saving a lot of money on a hotel was far overshadowed by all of the negative things I experienced at Value Place Lakeland. From stale cigarette smell to noise to an inept staff, I just don't see many reasons to not pay more for a nicer hotel with more amenities.

Room Tip: The best tip to finding a good room would be to check with the nearby Howard Johnson's to find o...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
LIPVP, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Lakeland, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Hello Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experiences at our property. It’s unfortunate that your experience did not meet your expectations; and we extend our sincerest apologies. At Value Place, we strive to ensure each and every guest stay is satisfying. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart. We would like to connect with you for more details. Would you please email ContactUs@ValuePlace.com or mco33805@valueplace.com? This will allow us to take the appropriate measures to address the issue promptly.
Lakeland, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our family relocated to fl due to husbands job. My stay at the value place was very unpleasant. The staff is very nice but the hotel it self is way to expensive for what you get. I got a bad allergic reaction to i don't know what but every time I'd leave the hotel I was fine but when I would go back to room I would itch like crazy. The only had the smoking available when we stayed. The comforter and sheets were stained with brown spots and the area it's in is very ghetto and scary. You have people staying here for an extended amount of time, so you encounter many different kind of people. I think criminals too...... Scary!! Not a safe areas..... Do not stay here unless you are a thug!

Room Tip: none... beds are hard like sleeping on card board :(
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sioux fallsTraverse city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I was skeptic about staying here. Weekly hotels impressions you know. To my surprise, it was so clean, comfortable and the staff was great. They will really tell you in detail the rules and policy of the hotel. We just stayed for 4 nights but I understand its an extended stay so i did not expect a refund. $100 is too cheap for a security hold that I got back after inspection. They did inspected my room from the towels, linens and everything. That was funny. I think thats good though. Just interesting that there's the same people all the time from morning till dawn. Somebody was spraying the carpets and using a lint roller at 9pm - wow!!!. Same lady I saw at check in. Well taken cared of. I overheard some guests complaining about rules - sorry guys but I think its a necessity to have one. I am not use to a hotel closing at 6pm but i tried the 500 number and he was quick to respond. Its been a fun and interesting experience. I will no doubt stay at another value place property again. Special thanks to the General Manager, Joyce Ericson, this little girl definitely know what she's doing. I told her, I can't do her job. So kudos to her and her staff!!

Room Tip: They said they are in the process of updating TV's and mattresses.. maybe you can request for on...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed at Value Place in Lakeland, Florida for an entire month to finish up some career training. Overall, I had a very enjoyable experience. When I arrived, I made my way to the front desk, which had already closed upon check-in. This proved not to be a problem though, as there was an in house site administrator who was cordial and able to take care of all my needs. When I entered the room, it was extraordinarily clean. In fact, of my many years of traveling, I do not believe I have ever stayed at a place who paid such careful attention to detail. The room was pretty typical, and contained a full kitchen. The kitchen was tiny, but was an ample size if I needed to cook. The television was out of date and very difficult to watch, fortunately I was not there most of the time to dwell on it, as I had to fulfill my obligations elsewhere. My room came with two full-sized beds, with horrible springs. I attempted to beef them up by stacking the mattresses, which helped a tad, but not a lot. Finally, even though I was able to do laundry, the horrible stench of smoke that lingered in the hallways managed to follow me everywhere I went. Even though I am home now, I am still trying to remove the smokey odor from my clothes. Despite these complaints, I thought it should be noted that the service was remarkable and, if the situation arises again, I would stay at Value Place. The manager here was extremely nice, and was genuinely proud of me when I completed my course. All of the front desk personnel were cordial, even when I locked myself out twice. The service and cleanliness of the rooms made it worth while, and no one can beat their prices! Enjoy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
LIPVP, Guest Relations Manager at Value Place Lakeland, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for posting a review of your experience at our property. Your feedback is very much appreciated, and I assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests.
Thank you again for your feedback.
Blue Earth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

DO NOT STAY on the FIRST floor. At night it seems like all the guests want to gather outside to all hours of the night. Management assured us that they had taken care of it but of course nothing was ever done about it. Also in the Lakeland location it is also very common to have guests work on their cars all day long.... Nice

Oh and about the internet. $20/month and it's slower that dial up... Never again

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
LIPgdyer, Public Relations Manager at Value Place Lakeland, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
Dear Value Place Guest,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your experiences at our property. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Value Place, we strive to ensure each and every guest experience is satisfying. Please know that we are taking your feedback to heart, and we are taking the appropriate measures to address the issue promptly.

Value Place Management

Been to Value Place Lakeland? Share your experiences!