“Good Value for the Price” 4 of 5 stars

Scandia Lodge
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   625 South Federal Highway, Lake Worth, FL 33460   |
Call Hotel:
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Good Value for the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed at the Scandia Lodge for about a month while on a work assignment. Good value for the price. Friendly staff. Clean rooms. They upgraded to flat screen TVs while I was there. Also has cable and Internet. Small refrigerator in the room. And it's walking distance to downtown Lake Worth - a great area with many bars, restaurants, coffee shops, and retail stores. All in all, I'd stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Lowell, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Many, many things wrong during the stay & many mistakes after when they were trying to rectify 2 problems. Many issues:1. No tax was stated as due when given a price for the weeks we wanted to stay. It ended up 11%!!! That's a ton to not be told about until you get there! 2. Said $50 for my dog then hounded me 6 times, in front of other guests & taped a $100 bill to my door for him. 3. Accused me in front of other guests of not wanting to pay what's due, even though I had already paid more than the price give to me by the manager. 4.We arrived before the 3pm check-in because we had driven all day & night because we couldn't sleep in the car, were told to come back in 2 1/2 hours then told we could check in 45 minutes. 2 1/2 hours after being told that, the manager acted surprised when we came up with our luggage because it was then 3pm. 5.One of our table chairs was broken immediately. 6. I requested a blow dryer at the time of booking, was assured to have one. None was in the room. I had to shower after driving all day & night. I knocked on the on-site maintenance door, no answer..I texted the manager & was told to knock on the same door in the morning, which meant I had to go to dinner with wet hair that night. I knocked the next morning at 10 am...no answer. I had to watch for the guy instead of relaxing & finally caught him. 7. Our room floor was so dirty that it turned out feet black. I complained & after waiting 2 days, mopped it myself. 8. Our tv was on a short, wicker table & hard to view because it was so low..we noticed other rooms had theirs mounted on the wall. I complained, someone came & put it on the wall but it fell off the wall at 5:30am the next morning, scaring the crap out of us & breaking our camera, that was sitting on the table underneath. I complained about it all, it was remounted, nothing done about the camera until I complained again. I was told a new one would be shipped to us, after 2 weeks, I complained again & was told the manager missed the note to order it. We finally did get it. 8. We were given 2 bath towels to carry us through a whole week. This is not enough. I asked for more, we were brought more but the maid came in to clean the next day & took all but 2, including my boyfriends towel. I complained to the manager, nothing done, complained at the time of checkout, was told they would hold it until next year, if found, complained when I got home & was told they found it & would mail it to us, after 2 weeks, I complained again, was told the manager missed the note to mail it & would mail it soon. A week later, I received a check to buy another. This towel was given by a grandma & had sentimental value. They said they found it, I want the original one back. With this check, was a note that $20 was given for the towel, $21 was given to reimburse me for sending the broken camera to them & to use the rest (there wasn't anything left) to mail the power cord of the broken camera to them, as agreed upon. I NEVER agreed to this, will not be sending it. 9. Day 1, there was a metal clanging in the bathroom, we investigated, it was a vent. We stuffed the insulation around it in between the metal parts, so we could stop the clanging & sleep. 10. The bedframe squeeked if we even moved our big toe. 11. The 1st day the room was "cleaned", it appeared only 2 new towels were left, all other towels/wash cloths were taken so now we had no wash cloths & no floor towel. The bed wasn't made & the sheets were not changed. The sheets were filthy because of the dirty floor. 11. We had no nightstand or alarm clock. When I complained, a freshly painted stand was brought in, it caused the room to smell so much like paint, that it gave us headaches & everything put on it would stick to it until the next morning. 12. Our shower door would not stay closed. I complained, nothing was done. 13. 2 hangers were in the closet. Not enough for guests staying 2 weeks, especially when no dresser was provided. 14. 1 hook, that held 1 towel was provided, not enough, we ended up draping wet towels all over the room so we had to live in a messy looking room the whole time because of it. 15. Cleaning was once a week, no broom for in between. 16. We asked the onsite maintenance guy for more propane 2 days in, had to complain to the owner a week later because it was so low we were afraid it would end mid grill. 16. There was a very loud animal that lived in our ceiling. I complained, nothing was done. 17. We never could figure out how to turn the pool bathroom/laundry lights on, they didn't seem to work so you had to pee with the door open so you could see. There was no TP in that bathroom. 18. The change machine said to see the office for change. It was rare that there was ever anyone in the office, we found it easier to run to town for change & saw many other guests walking around looking for someone to get change from quite a bit. 19. The sink had no stopper lever so couldn't get the stopper back up. I read reviews before we went & saw one that seemed picky. I know some of this sounds picky but it all adds up to a very terrible place to stay. If you need anything here, it's very hard to find someone to get it from & we found even if you did happen to catch someone, which is the last thing you want to spend your time doing....looking for help, they rarely did anything you asked for. I felt lied to & ignored. The manager sucks & the on-site maintenance guy sucks. These are the people supposed to be taking care of the guests. The owner is pretty good but until he gets decent people working for him. I would not recommend staying here. I waited 2 months to write this so I could cool off. I kept notes, so it's very accurate. Be very careful if Brenda is still the manager and George is the the on site maintenance guy....they will not do what they say they do, will not be ready when you arrive, will lie to you, will not fix any issues etc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Scandia_Lodge625, Manager at Scandia Lodge, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Sara D,

Apologies for such an inconvenient experience. Since your stay your incident was brought to our attention and we have changed management. Things including quality of service are now much more consistent and parallel with the other reviews we have had on trip advisor. I am the new property manager and would like to offer you discounted rates on your next stay and one free night. Again apologies for the quality of service you received, and I can assure you I am making my best effort to serve our current and future guests with the best quality service. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Rego
Mid-Atlantic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed 3/18-3/25/13. It's under new management and the owners only have office staff there part-time. Wasn't a huge inconvenience, but they sure turned away a lot of customers who came knocking to get a room.

The room was clean. But it wasn't ready until 6:00 p.m. We sat by the pool (which was heated this visit) and waited. The rooms are still sparsely furnished; no real good place to place toiletries in the bathroom, no coffee in the room but there's a coffee maker. It did have a microwave and small fridge. Nice TV. No TV guide. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The A/C worked okay. No light in the shower area and pressure a little low.

We were on the main floor of this exterior corridor hotel and it was easy to walk to the little ice machine, fix a drink and sit under the tiki hut which was nice considering it rained a few times. We ended up buying a little cooler and getting our own ice every night.

Last time we were there, we met some interesting people and it was just a quick hello, how are you? kind of thing. This time it turns out a large percentage of the guests actually live there temporarily, long-term. Which made me feel like I was invading their space since they dominated the pool area.

I wanted to have alone time to read and felt like I was being rude when they swooped in to gather and I didn't engage in conversation. So I put my book down and listened.

Didn't have as much privacy as last time. Which is why we booked again, thinking we could kick back and be left alone. The people were nice, but for my vacation, a little company is fine, but then I'm done.

If you're going to be out doing things and not spending a lot of time at the lodge, then this place works. Seems to be in a relatively safe neighborhood, albeit, not the best, but for the price, it's okay.

Fifteen minutes from the nearest beach. Local food places deliver (be sure to ask for condiments, napkins, utensils, etc.) and it's convenient enough to Wellington, FL.

If we return next time, I'll probably find a different place to stay. But again, for the price, I was willing to give up some of the amenities I'd find in a larger or nicer hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room! No elevators.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Beverly Hills, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Scandia Lodge is a nice quiet place to stay in Lake Worth. The property is under management and is a very nice place to stay clean close to everything with great staff and colorful beach beach type rooms with small fridge and microwave, good towels, good parking and great pool area small but cozy. This is a great place for extended stays a week or month etc. My son relocated to palm beach county from Chicago and has stayed here for over two weeks while looking for an apt and I stayed for a few days and found the place to be a great location,safe,clean and friendly staff we highly recommend Scandia Lodge for your Lake Worth stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

Spent several weeks at the Scandia Lodge and was delighted at the well appointed room, beautiful pool and excellent helpful staff. This motel is a great value and was recently refurbished in a charming beach style and room had a microwave and refrig. Every morning there is fresh coffee for the guests, a nice touch. Especially important was the location, easy access to the Beach, downtown Lake Worth with shopping, theater, museum and active night life. A quick ride to Palm Beach and Worth Avenue. Can't wait to come back- one of the most relaxing and enjoyable vacations- will recommend to my friends seeking a Florida getaway.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Mid-Atlantic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We stayed a week to be near my daughter in late February 2011. Our room was on ground level, just steps from the pool area. Very convenient. The goals of our getaway were to get away from the cold, watch polo games where my daughter works and relax. This was the perfect place for all of the above.

The only downside was the pool wasn't heated at the time and it was very cold and couldn't swim. It was chilly at sunset, but a blanket and sweatshirt allowed us to sit outside and read. Wi-fi was stable with the code they provided. We read a lot on our Kindle's and downloaded with no problems.

The room was basic, but clean and comfortable beds. The staff was very nice and did a good job. We liked the mini-fridge for leftovers. There's a good selection of nearby restaurants and some deliver.

It's a great place to stay for quiet and close to town. Free parking in their lot adjacent to the rooms. We felt safe; no suspicious characters were ever seen. I'm planning a trip next month and that's where I plan to stay!

The price was very reasonable especially compared to other hotels where you have to take an elevator to go and sit poolside.

It's not glitzy or glamorous, but that's not what I look for in lodging. Clean, comfortable, convenient and affordable. Scandia gave me that!

Room Tip: Ground level is the best! I don't do stairs very well and they don't have an elevator. A roo...
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Lake Worth, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2012

Very friendly place have stayed here several times. Not a lot of motels in the area, this is by far the best we have staying in, can walk to the main street in Downtown Lake Worth. Staff are always accommodating. Great pool area to sit out and enjoy the great Florida weather. My wife and I would recommend this place for an affordable, clean, friendly place in Lake Worth.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Scandia Lodge? Share your experiences!