“Not bad, but not as good as advertised.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 69 Restaurants in Lake Wales
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner
Haines City, Florida
“Not bad, but not as good as advertised.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Small, dirty, but interesting if you are on acid. Vegetables are all from cans. You know the taste. Pastas are terrible, no flavor, lack of sauces. Garlic bread was way too mild. Porterhouse steak advertised as 22-24 ounces were really only about 12 ounces..... Seafood was ok, decent salads. For Lake Wales, Polk County, Florida is about what we expected it to be. Ok Service. Nice owner.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

“Great food, friendly owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

We have been regular customers at Norby's for several years now. The owner, Wayne always greets us with a handshake and friendly words and actually remembers our name, even after we have been gone all summer! The food is wonderful. The steaks are very tender and seasoned well. If you are expecting a fancy restaurant, you will be disappointed. But if you want good food, friendly service in a very unique atmosphere, this is the place!

Haines City, Florida
“Expensive. Terrible service. Horrible seating.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Went to norbys feb 2,2013 for a friends birthday. Seven of us were seated in a room with a low ceiling on plastic chairs. After fifteen minutes Jose took our drink orders. Brought six of the seven drinks. Asked for the last one. Waited 25 minutes for an iced tea. Other tables were being served their salads and rolls. Nothing to us. After almost 30 min he delivered our salads with the main course. Sent them back. Two medium well steaks came RAW. One person didn't received meatballs with their order. One never got her veggies. My husbands steak was bloody raw. The waiter never came to ask how our food was so we were stuck eating food not what/how we ordered. We finally asked for the owner. He came over, looked at the steaks and offered free deserts. We just wanted to leave. So they took two meals off the check. Will never go back there. The decor is disgusting the atmosphere is that of sitting in a cave and the food was pretty bad. Steaks were tender. But not cooked. Only choice is baked potato. So if you don't like baked potatoes don't waste your time. Not when you have Mannys right down the street where they make you feel wanted. Never again. Goodbye Norbys.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“The WORST restaurant I have ever eaten in during all my family vacations to Florida!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We walked in and were seated as far back in the restaurant as possible. We were seated at a table with plastic tablecloths and pool-side, plastic chairs. Next came our server who told us to "read the specials inside the separate menu" when asked what the specials were -as he clearly didn't know what they were. We received our sodas accompanied by a "red solo" cup of ice to pour them into from the can. Could you believe the that with the atmosphere described above that the appetizers were $9-$14 and meals from $14-$25? Next cam the garlic bread -I call it a burnt, unbuttered, unseasoned, hot dog roll cut it half -and believe it or not this was the best thing we got. The steak was "grade dog-food", but Fido might even reject this mass of grizzle and fat, the mushrooms were forgotten, the "marina" on my grandmothers call, over-cooked stuffed shells wasn't even Heinz, but rather an "off-brand" of ketchup, possibly Surefine, the soup was cold, and the salad was wilted. To make matters worse, I think that it may be snowing parsley in the kitchen, as each dish, be it steak, shells, soup, salad, or a side of veggies was hidden under an accumulation of parsley that the weathermen in Lake Wales could not predict even with up-to-date Doppler radar. Finally, when paying the bill the cash register is in the kitchen, so the cashier that rung me up not only touched someones salad lettuce, but also my hard-earned and now wasted, US Treasury lettuce, with all its germs and all, them went back to making food. Does that State of Florida have restaurant inspections, and if so, why is this place still open? I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Meh.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I always try to support indepently owned businesses, especially restaurants. After having passed this place last year and thinking it looked like a "find", and having read the other reviews on Trip Advisor, I was quite disappointed. Having gotten there early, I was seated promptly; while service was good, the waiter was wearing so much cologne (he smugly told me it wasn't after shave) it restricted breathing, however did enable sneezing. This is always inappropriate, but especally in a food service establishment. The restaurant only offers super swill cheapo wines and a regular selection of beer. The salad came out, a handful of iceberg with two canned olives and a half slice of tomato. I had ordered Norby's special blue cheese dressing, which appeared to be mayonnaise with a couple of chunks of blue cheese. The garlic bread was a cut up white roll with garlic flavored margerine; it was cold. I had ordered the filet and grilled shrimp. I ordered the steak medium rare; while juicy, it arrived somewhere between medium and medium well. The shrimp, which showed no evidence of having been grilled, had the sponginess of frozen shrimp. They and the steak came swimming in more of the melted margerine, a little cup of which was also included on the plate. A largish bright yellow slab of margerine was also served on the baked potato. I had been warned about the canned vegetables; I ordered the corn, and it was passable; served nice and hot. Came with complementary ice cream, which was butter pecan and passable. I won't be going back.

• Visited December 2012