“As out-of-the-way as you can get. Very good food, with one exception.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cherry Pockets Steak and Seafood Shack

Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Polk City, Florida
“As out-of-the-way as you can get. Very good food, with one exception.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

It's about an hour's drive for us, so we don't get there often, but we do keep going back. It's a touch of Old Florida, in a way, with some backwoods recipes. We went on a Monday night, avoiding the usual big crowds. We were early birds, so we could sit outside before the mosquitos showed up in force, and it was very pleasant. I started with a beer and a gumbo, both of which hit the spot. The gumbo was rich and filling, so when our server came back to see if everything was OK and said she'd put in our dinner orders, I cancelled mine, thinking I'd save room for dessert. Big mistake -- the Key Lime Pie is the tourist variety, big, thick, and bright green, horrible texture, and heaped with meringue. At least I guess it was meringue. I ate some, but left most of it. My companions had crab cakes and reported they were excellent. We'll go back again, but I'll remember not to order the pie. With a generous tip, $80 for the 3 of us, with beers and wine.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

76% Recommend
Western Suburbs of Chicago
“Awesome Fries!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

A great restaurant for a "down home" country feel. It is on the property of a fish camp, and looks like it would be a lot of fun on a Saturday night! Delicious food and the best carrot cake we've ever eaten.

Visited April 2013
Oxford, Fl
“A Long way to drive for nothing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

To start with, this restaurant is out in the boondocks and you have to drive on a dirt road to
get there. Once there we were seated at a picnic table outside on the deck and waited about 15 mins. before I finally went in and asked for someone to wait on us. After going over the lunch menu, which was not very impressive, we ordered and finally our food arrived. Food wasn't impressive either as my hamburger roll tasted like it just came out of the refrigerator, my sister's Cajun chicken strips were overdone and dry. One good thing was the grouper sandwich my wife order. She was very happy with it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Crestview, Florida
“glad the menu told the truth about fake Grouper”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

for almost a year I have thought about what could of been here...Fake grouper! why bother..what? just change the spelling of Grouper and warn folks that the fish they are about to eat is a glorified catfish from another country,,,wanted to leave but was with the rest of the family so I settled for the norm...may go back and try to enjoy the restraunt in the future know. Will keep an eye on the reviews and hope to find something good to write about when I return..

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Michigan
“Funky and really cool”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

When our friends took us on a road trip, they just said, ''Trust us.'' When we rolled into the parking lot, or what looked like a parking lot, I was wondering if I would ever get out alive. This is a fishing camp which also has a restaurant and the place is wonderful. If you are looking for a down-home, funky place, this is it. We all had fish dishes and they were wonderful. They have outdoor seating under umbrellas as well as indoor seating on tables with business cards lacquered onto the tops. We went on a Wednesday night and the place was packed. We arrived around 5:15 p.m. and had a one hour wait. But the wait was worth it. This place is really cool.

• Visited March 2013