“Not a "Wow", but it's OK” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 29 Restaurants in Lake Placid
Cuisines: American
Maplewood, Minnesota
“Not a "Wow", but it's OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

As Golden Corrals go, this place is average, but that means that it's still OK. I've been to Golden Corrals from Nebraska to Florida, and this one isn't anywhere near as good as every other Golden Corral that I've dined in. (The one at the corner of International Drive & Sand Lake Road in Orlando comes to mind.) Maybe that's because this one is smaller than most others, and also because this Golden Corral caters to a different clientele. I have a hunch that this Golden Coral doesn't cater to tourists but to local families, to older guests and to retirees and snow birds who come down to Lake Placid for the winter. Those folks just want good food for a good value, and that's what you get here. Good food and a good value. Nothing fancy. It's interesting that I seem to be the first of a kind to give this place an "average" rating. Everybody else gives it either very high or very low marks. You have to know that the extremes are rarely where the truth lies. It's a good place, with good variety, and at a value. In my estimation it's just not a Wow.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Houghton Lake
“Family ate all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Something for everyone. If you leave hungry its your fault. After filling up there always is room for desert.

Visited April 2013
Lake Placid, Florida
“Surprise, Surprise!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I normally can not stand Golden Corral or any other buffet restaurant. Several friends had advised us that the Corral had pretty good food. Well unless I consider the person handing out the recommendation a fellow foodie, I take what they say with a grain of salt. I had minimum expectations when we first ate there. I was surprised to discover that the food was quite passable. It wasn't great but it certainly wasn't the worst thing I ever put in my mouth. I'm giving it four stars because with respect to the others of its ilk, this one stood head and shoulders above.

Visited June 2013
Lake Placid, Florida
“A wide variety of fresh food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

There is something for everyone at Golden Corral. The food is fresh and it's nice to be able to self serve and eat without waiting. Nobody leaves hungry and you eat what you like. Great value for your dollar.

Visited July 2013
Clermont, Florida
“No service at all.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

When I was at the register paying, a lady came up and said they hadn't seen a server and needed drink refills. I never saw a server the entire timecI was there, I had to go back up to thecregster fo a refill. The food wasn't bad, but nothing special. I'll give the food average and the service terrible.

Visited June 2013