“Great customer service” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Lake Mary
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

My stay at the Courtyard Lakemary was wonderful...Sheena nd all the staff was wonderful!! They have had recent renovations and the place looks great!!

Room Tip: great room layout/rooms facing the pool have a wonderful view
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

I took a vacation this year to visit friends & family around the country. Part of my stay was in Florida. I stayed at multiple Marriott properties on my vacation. I generally like Marriott, there is a common standard of excellence I find across their properties that I enjoy, at an affordable price. This hotel was no exception to the rule. Over time, Marriott has absorbed smaller hotel chains. I find that as they go through the remodel process to make them more "Marriott," they can only afford to do so many upgrades at a time. So sometimes hotel features can be a little "uneven": a really nice bed, but broken tile in a bathroom. A fabulous (sometimes free) breakfast, with a lobby color scheme designed in the '80s. It's not Marriott's fault, the previous owners just didn't keep investing in & upgrading the property. Over time each Marriott-bought property keeps plugging away at their deficiencies until they have a classy looking hotel. I have a lot of respect for the obviously continuous investment Marriott makes in their hotels, even during the recent economic slowdown.

I stayed at this hotel for several days in June. The hotel had just completed a major remodel. I don't believe the exterior of the hotel had been changed, but the lobby & front desk areas had major upgrades. I'm not sure how long ago the rooms were upgraded, but I'd say recently based on the vibrant colors & cleanliness.

I really liked the color scheme in my room. I don't know how you'd describe that red. Crimson? A rich looking color. My room was immaculate. The bed was very comfortable, not too stiff, not too smushy, just right for me, with comfy pillows. The room had a mini-fridge, very useful for keeping a supply of water & drinks because the area is so hot & humid! (I'm from CA; I'm not used to this FL humidity.) Fortunately the air conditioning kept my room & the hotel very comfortable to stay in. The room has a sofabed for unexpected guests. The bathroom is clean, water pressure strong, good shower, well kept.

The redesigned lobby was a great place to hang out in. There are large open spaces to be social, a big TV to watch sports, and small alcoves w/flatscreen TVs where one morning I found a group having an impromptu business meeting. I found the whole space classy, with an obvious color scheme theme working its way through the hotel redesign. I ate a breakfast sandwich at the restaurant, which was tasty. They also serve Starbucks coffee drinks there, a nice pick me up in the morning. I had a white chocolate mocha, excellent. I never had a chance to eat dinner there, but one night I found some attractive people having a drink at the bar.

This hotel has GREAT wireless Internet access. At some properties I've stayed at, the speed is slow, or there are pockets where wireless signal is poor. Here, I found I had a nearly perfect signal everywhere I tried. Very impressive.

I never had a chance to use the hotel pool. The friends I was visiting have a pool, so I swam with them.

In other reviews I've read this hotel's water has a strong sulfur smell. I didn't notice it. I did notice the water was a little minerally, but that's just how water is in different areas, Marriott can't exactly do anything about that. I drank bottled water or from the water dispenser available in the workout room.

The hotel has free on-site parking.

There were a couple minor problems. The hotel has a workout room. The belt was a little loose on the treadmill; I mentioned that to the staff, who said they'd take care of it. (I'm a heavy guy, which explains why I worked out on vacation; a lighter person might not even notice that. In my building we have treadmills serviced regularly; the tech keeps the belts tight, motors running, buttons working.) I also found a broken button elsewhere in the hotel, which I also mentioned to the staff. If it seems like I'm being nit-picky it's because it was hard to find things I didn't like about this hotel.

My vacation was fairly long, and this was just one stop, so I decided to do a load of wash while I was there. The washer/dryer is coin operated, although the hotel gives you free Tide for your wash. The detergent was powdered Tide; I wish it was liquid, because if you don't stop the washer after it fills up and manually move your clothes around to disperse the detergent in water, the powder tends to cake in spots on your clothes. I went back to the front desk to change more quarters. One fell out of my hand, and absolutely perfectly rolled clear across the front lobby & under a huge couch. The front desk clerk & I just laughed at how perfectly that happened. She gave me another quarter.

Overall this hotel was a great place to stay, close to my friends. The hotel staff is friendly & helpful. A typical excellent Marriott experience.

- Adam

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

As a Marriott Platinum rewards member, I travel extensively on business. This location has a well deserved reputation for providing service levels well above the average Courtyard. The staff is well trained, always upbeat and go out of their way to ensure that your stay is enjoyable. The facilities have been recently remodeled and are always clean and crisp. The rooms are bright and airy and the beds are luxurious.

The property provides an excellent platform for the business traveler or tourist who wants great value for the money. There is an abundance of restaurants of all kinds within walking or short driving distance, access to a nearby upscale work out facility, and the surrounding upscale neighborhood of Heathrow provides shopping of all kinds.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Proctorville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

We were here while catching a flight out the next day. It was a very nice stay and nice rooms. The gentlemen at the desk couldn't have been nicer and helped in every way able. We had a room over looking the lake along with a balcony that was great! It was a great night's sleep and located very close to Sanford Airport in Orlando. There wasn't too much around but it was right off of the exit and easy to locate.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2011

This Courtyard Marriott has been upgraded with new look and feel. Very Zen in colors and style with all the amenities that make working out of a hotel easy. From a great coffee bar, plenty of casual meeting spots, wiring for technology, and one of those staffs that is always positive and proactively helpful.
Plenty of good restaurants close, and a relationship with a great health club across the street. Easy access as well to I4 so getting to the city for meetings is not an issue.

Will definitely stay here whenever I'm in Orlando...

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

The Courtyard by Marriott in Lake Mary was very clean and newly renovation. The staff was extremely helpful througout our stay.

Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

We stayed here, because my coworker is a Marriott point collector (so am I, but not diligently). I had no objections, because I trust Marriott in general, and had good stays in Courtyards.

When I travel for business, I look for a business hotel: wake-up call, functioning alarm clock, rooms that provide you good sleep amenities, TV, iron & board, hair dryer, closet, mini fridge, decent & efficient service. I don't worry about things like: view, quiet location, or gorgeous pool.

Unfortunately, this hotel did not provide the room quality I'm used to for resting after a hectic business day.
1. My alarm clock was broken (I have my phone, but I like double assurance).
2. The room had these old heat-pump units built in, that did NOT have a temperature gauge. Just some basic dials for hot, cold, and fan. My dial was semi-broken, as in: you moved it around and if you're lucky, it switched something. The fan on the unit was annoyingly loud, and you couldn't really control the temperature (you would wake up in the middle of the night, freezing).
3. The mini-fridge in the room was annoyingly loud, and you couldn't turn it off (it didn't have a dial you can turn down at night, and it was shoved in a cupboard, so you couldn't even find the cord to unplug it). My coworker's fridge was malfunctioning, so that his gallon of water froze to a clump! Very handy, when you want a drink...
4. I had a towel that had weird pink stains on it. I know the towel is probably safe (I assume they burn the bejezus out of these things with bleach and detergent). But it was just a little creepy; it looked like lipstick stains from a former user. I threw it on the floor. The bathroom had ample towels available, so that was good.
5. The bathroom light was hooked up with a fan. You turn on the light - you turn on the fan. And that was not just any fan: that thing sounded like it could provide lift-off to the NASA shuttle! It was so annoying, another co-worker of mine asked the hotel to disconnect hers. It was impossible to tolerate. I chose to brush my teeth in semi-darkness...

I understand the hotel underwent renovations. The decor of the hotel is nice, and they tried for a welcoming lobby. But they seemed to have skimped on the essential functions in a room, such as I pointed out above. Also, the bathrooms had a shabby feel to them. The shower was working well (good shower head & good pressure), but the handles were old and rusty. Why not replace them in the remodel? Also, the caulking was a bit messy, which gives the whole bathroom a sloppy feel.

The service was, as always, very good. It's not the staff's fault that our air-condition units were primitive and noisy.

Parking is ample, location was convenient for us.

Side note: yes, the water in Florida is undrinkable, you MUST get a water bottle and keep filling it at filtered stations. The hotel had a water station in the gym, and the ice machine used filtered water. We just went to the grocery store and got our gallons of water (of course, they froze to a solid blocks of ice).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
CourtyardCLM, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Orlando Lake Mary North, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Sunhilt,

I appologize for the experiences you had during your stay. We constantly listen to the views and comments posted by our guests and try and to make the necessary changes. Rest assured we will look into all that you mentioned.

Kindest Regards

Management.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Orlando Lake Mary North? Share your experiences!