“Perfectly adequate business stay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Lake Mary
Nairobi, Kenya
“Perfectly adequate business stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My check was swift, efficient and helpful. Internet connect worked fine and the room was all that you'd expect and no more than that. Dinner was a well served, prepared and presented steak with very good and welcoming server. All in all a perfectly pleasant over night.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Pete V, General Manager at The Westin Lake Mary, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear JamesHAfrica,

Thank your for your comments. I was pleased that we met your expectations during your stay.

WESTIN LAKE MARY, ORLANDO NORTH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
traussefrance
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

So let me summarise the 3000 plus characters below!......If you are a expecting a well oiled WESTIN machine - that delivers high quality service and experienced staff - well you'll be disappointed. This hotel needs a top class Manager to instill in the staff "what is customer service" rather than simply use words - to also drum into their minds "what quality is and how the staff are the ones to deliver that"...the restaurant is not part of the hotel so the comments below and above re service do not apply to them.

Well after 1 week at this hotel to experience the 'highs and the lows' I have some advice for visitors and the hotel mgmnt.

Let's begin with a comment I heard several times..."OH we are really a Business hotel".....so what does that mean......

1.... Do not expect much at the weekends...we arrived late on a saturday night...our 1st 2 room service items were finished and after a final salad was chosen I ask for a glass of wine.."Oh..the Hotel doesn't serve Alcohol after 11.00pm"...I was recommended to go to Mcdonalds next door (No joking!!)...as it was" 24hrs"...Their quote not mine......Finally my wife and I at 1.00am found some every hip places to eat right across the road. The hotel itself has no kitchen - so any request for a sandwich was not possible - all room service for after 11.00pm is prepacked and simply heated and sent to your room...mmm did I say this was a WESTIN!
2....we got the shuttle to the mall on Sunday and they forgot to come and get us (even through we called twice to remind them!) - they seem to always have an excuse...When I suggested "Maybe the mgr could have quickly driven down to collect us!!">>>> the look on the face was amazing!
3....The restaurant is not owned by the hotel so don't expect and wonderful cooperation between the two areas - the people in the restaurant are far more 'on the ball' than the hotel staff.
3.....when I finally got to work at the hotel function centers, they were again very average...mmmm did I mention this was a WESTIN!.....No signage for our group for Breakfast, and they waited till the last minute to set up the room and projector etc. The projector /audio people are contract so any problems during the day...wait 1 hr!

4....DO NOT ever think of paying for the WESTIN EXECUTIVE CLUB!!>>>OK if it's throw in..do it...BUT ..the price I was quoted was 69 dollars...'does it include bfast and evening canapes??"...I ask ..."YES SIR"......so I asked to be upgraded for the 69 dollars......well that was a mistake...the breakfast only has hot porridge/oats/danishes/toast - no hot eggs/bacon/no meat...only some juice/coffee from an URN and cereal. Maybe the evening is better....IT GOT WORSE...the canapes were cheese and crackers and 1 hot food item..(and I think that's only mon-thursday).....and wine..."OH YES"......but at 7.00Dollars a glass..IF the service guy is there!!....On monday we asked to be downgraded as the 69 dollars was not worth it...they did keep us in the room with same service.(thank you)

5...some tips.....don't do the Laundry and it expect it back at any reasonable time....we did laundry & the first time it was returned at 9.00 pm...because we did not put our name on the bag???.....(the bag does not have a space for that and we re confirmed and were told it actually was not necessary)...2nd laundry usage - we had ticked shirts in boxes...well of course they came back on hangers!....like the first time!!! admittedly they did arrive earlier than first time..hotel took them away and folded them downstairs.....my wife repacked/re-folded them!
....More tips...have showers when the water is hot.......had 2 luke warm showers - I made the mistake to shower after 8.45am when the whole hotel was doing the same....mmmm....asa business hotel they should think of these things.

Room Tip: IF you are expecting a WESTIN.....be prepared for a shock!
Dear Steve Capper,

Thank your for your comments. I appears your stay encountered numerous annoyances and irritants. I appreciate your very detailed comments which allow me to follow up with our team.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Westin is usually an excellent hotel however this one looks good from the outside but the room was average and small. Upon arrival, room thermostat set at 60 degrees (too cold for anyone), there was human hair all over the bathroom = no mopping and the room needed dusting or even a simple wipe down.
Disspointed in this Westin's cleanliness - guests deserve better.

Room Tip: Stay in room not facing McDonalds
Dear GoodAdvice47,

Thank your for your comments. I was very concerned about your comments because we normally have excellent cleanliness scores. I would like to follow up if you could please email me directly.

2974 International Parkway, Lake Mary, FL 32746
D 321.249.8030 F 407 531-3553 C 407.235-8550

pete.valenzuela@westinlakemary.com
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I hate hotels ! this stay changed my mind. the staff was great. the breakfast buffet had quality ingredients. the location was super. it is across the street from shopping, restaurants, and a movie theater.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
Dear MayaMaya

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I am glad that we were able to decrease your dislike of hotels with our service, breakfast and location. We hope you will return soon.

Palmetto, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I hadn't stayed at a Westin since my days of corporate travel. It was a pleasure going back. The rooms are spacious, the beds are exceptionally comfortable and the bath roomy. Towels were plush and nice water flow in shower. I was in a corner room and it was extremely quiet. The service was quick, courteous, and friendly. Although I didn't use the exercise room or pool, I did take a peek and was impressed. In short, yes, I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Pete V, General Manager at The Westin Lake Mary, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Jim H
We are delighted that enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments.

We hope to see you back soon.

Windsor
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Stayed in premium/preferred room for five nights late October, early November. Air con was very good. TV as well. No dual voltage or foreign plugs or adaptors. Thought hotel of this calibre would have them since it is primarily aimed at business travellers. Great ice machines on each floor. But suffers from basic problems, strangely similar to the Marriott Hotel a mile away. Each day and at different times of the day the hot water was rarely hot and when it was it didn't last long. Several times had to wait 5-10 minutes (no exaggeration) for the shower to shower to run hot, only for it to fluctuate from hot to cold to warm, to hot again. Average sized hand basin took forever to fill. Resorted to filling a bin from the very small bath (Only about one foot deep.) No kettle in the room, there is a coffee machine, so couldn't get the water hot enough for a proper shave on any day. For each of the first three or four days when I left the hotel at about 8am I asked if my room could be serviced with three hours. This was done. The last day or two I forgot to ask and returned each day at 1pm and 2:30pm and my room had not been serviced. Had room service a couple of times and was OK. tried the steak restaurant as well and it was good overall. Really wonder why the Marriott, at least they had a kettle in the room, and the Westin have the same trouble with hot water!! The hotels are both very new and appear to be constructed at the same time and along the same lines.

Room Tip: The top two floors have superior rooms.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Pete V, General Manager at The Westin Lake Mary, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear abilitycom

Thank you for your comments. My apologies that you had difficulties with the hot water during your stay. Unfortunately we had a mixing valve fail that created the problem which has now been resolved by replacing this valve. We do have adapter outlets available at our “Sundry Wall” near the reception desk. We appreciate your feedback and are hope you will stay with us in the future.

Sleep well,

Port Saint Lucie, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2014

Upon arrival, it took two people to find reservation.!
Then they forgot to include Wifi code,
Then the recptionist recommended the restaurant and to be more convincing, offered two free cocktails.
Step one, had to go back to reception to get wifi info.
STep 2, we showed up at the grill and were told that the voucher was worth 6 dollars off cocktail, NOT FREE AS PROMISED! We felt like beggers, or a donkey after half a carrot... uggly and embarrasing.
Hotel is clean, attractive and rooms great
BUT IF YOU GET A KING SIZE BED YOU HAVE TO SHARE THE ROBE! There is only ONE PER ROOM

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Pete V, General Manager at The Westin Lake Mary, responded to this review, November 11, 2014
Dear Anicka70

Thank you for your comments and my apologies that our customer service process failed you on several occasions.
Most of our occupancy is by single guests and our arrivals team should have notified housekeeping of the additional guest and requested that a robe be delivered.
Additionally my profound apology for not communicating the drink voucher value to you and causing you embarrassment.
I was pleased that you found the hotel clean and attractive.

Sleep well,

WESTIN LAKE MARY, ORLANDO NORTH

Been to The Westin Lake Mary? Share your experiences!