“great place, bad experience.” 2 of 5 stars

Polynesian Isles Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   3045 Polynesian Isles Boulevard, Kissimmee, FL 34746   |
Ranked #3 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
south florida
“great place, bad experience.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

As I have mentioned in previous reviews, I frequent Orlando. Once a month is the minimum I visit, so I am very familiar with most amenities around town, as I have stayed in hotels, resorts and timeshares. This review is the hardest for me to write for a couple reasons:
The management staff, as well as most of the security staff is beyond sweet.
The place is beautiful and very updated.
I will try to make this review as informative - it will be honest and broken in to sections:

The good:
This is a gated community, which is nice- as it is 24/7 security, not possible for people to just follow someone else in.
From what I can tell, there is a lot to do on site, pools, tennis courts etc.
There is a full size apartment in the 2 bedroom we stayed at. It was tastefully furnished, had a full dining room, kitchen items to cook dinner and a full fridge.
The beds are quite cozy, and had true to size beds, unlike hotels which usually call their full beds, a queen.
The layout, with one bedroom on one side, and the other holding the 2nd bedroom is nice. It offers privacy.
The lobby is beautiful, from what I saw and has bathrooms inside of it- as well as pamphlets and brochures for local items. (this is not a complaint, but be aware the welcome packet IS trying to sell you a timeshare- just FYI- most know it is advance, but in the interest of a "review" it is nice to say again)
The place was CLEAN. As far as community rooms where many people stay, this may have been one of the best. Aside from a couple tears or stains- which is COMMON- it was nice.

The bad- (I will tell this is story line, as it will be easier to understand)
On Friday, the day that we were arriving, I called early to confirm a crib for our room. At that time I was informed by Becca that my reservation did not exist. Since It was just the day before I placed the reservation, I told her I would call around noon. I did this and was told at that time, by becca, that it had not shown up still. She sent information to the reservation desk, and she had tried contacting her manager, and said someone would call me soon. I called bit later, It was still not available. a bit later, nothing. Finally upon calling around 3:30pm, I was told by Andrea, my reservation showed up. I spend most of the day following up on this. I confirmed at that time that I would have a crib and also confirmed that my room had a king and queen room - She stated it had only king and twin, and I asked her to change that. She told me she would have it changed and call back. I told her I would be arriving late as well, and she stated it was not a problem. - I called around 730 since i never received that call and security told me it was not an issue- I asked if my crib was confirmed and they stated that if i requested it earlier, it would be no issue. I then called when we ran in to traffic at 9:30, to confirm we would not be there until Midnight. i again spoke to security, who confirmed it would be okay. I spoke to over 4 people that night, each was sweet- as it turned out, none were very informative though, as I kept having to call to get the information.
*We arrive and are greeted by one security guard, tell him we are checking in, and another comes to do the check it. It was raining, so they advised me to come inside the security booth and sign the paperwork. I wanted to confirm two things before check in. 1. the crib and 2. the bedding being one king and one queen. He told me he could not confirm it, as he did not have that information, but pointed to the reservation having only two adults and no children. When in fact I booked for 3 adults, one child, with crib. I suggested someone walk to the room with me, as I did not want to take the child out for no reason at all in the rain, if there was no crib. He did ask me what plan b was if they had no cribs, which angered me to no end. I told him there was no plan b, as i paid for a hotel to sleep in with my family and that should include a child. He called another guard over, and this guard went above and beyond in helping us. He came to the room, searched it with me, and when we found no crib, he immediately went searching in the rain. When he didn't return within 30 or so minutes, we had to wake up our son and bring him inside the room. About 45 minutes after that we received a call that they did have a crib frame, but no mattress and asked if we could accept a pack and play. Being after 1:30am, we accepted. Anyone who has a 2 year knows that if they have been asleep since 8:30pm, woken at around 1:00, they will be fully charged and really cranky- so needless to say, no one in my room got any sleep Friday night, and Im pretty sure there were others around us, woken by this. I apologize to them.
Saturday morning I received a call reminding me that since I checked in with security I needed to give my credit authorization- I told them I had requested a manager to call me back because of the pack and play issue- she stated she was the manager, and asked that I discuss it with her when I came down to do the authorization. When I came down to the office I was met with one of the sweetest women I have ever dealt with. Dee Dee was more then gracious in admitting that the crib issue should not have happened, apologized and offered to have a real crib brought from a sister company. Since we were going to the parks all day and would be back later and checking out early Sunday, I told her please do not go to the trouble, everything will be just fine. She could not stop apologizing, and my general idea on that is, "things happen" - when you spend about 50 nights a year in a hotel with a 2 year old, you learn these things happen. The only downfall I felt was that they did not have 24/7 management on site, and so the security guards had very little guidance to make a situation right for me at the time. I accepted her peace offering- a bottle of wine and chocolate, and thanked her again.
We spend all day and most of the evening out of the room and at the parks. Upon returning, it was cool outside and we spent most of the evening on the patio when the baby went to sleep. At around midnight, we called the security office because we realized that we had the temp set at 73, but the room was 87 degrees. We had tried to reset it a couple times before calling, and when TWO of them showed up, they looked at the screen, pressed the fan button and told us we had the fan on and that was the problem. Had they checked the vents or bothered to listed, they would have heard the sound of the unit trying to start, then stop suddenly, as well as not feel anything from the vents. They stated it would cool off soon and to give it some time. I gave it another 20-30 minutes before I called and told them it had gone UP not down, and we were now teetering at around 89 degrees INSIDE the building. I told him it was unacceptable and that we could not deal with the heat. the windows in the front room had no screens, so opening them was not an option in the interest of security. I tried hard not to be upset with the security guard, as he was not doing anything wrong, he was just simply not doing anything. I told him there had to be something they could do, bring me stand up fans, switch rooms etc. When he replied there was nothing, I asked if he was telling me my only option would be to go purchase a fan at a store, to which he said yes and offered to tell me where the closest Walmart was.

I feel that this was a case of "things happen" being compounded by not being armed with "alternatives" - I spoke wtih Dee Dee Again the next morning, and was sad to learn that not only did the security guards have the option to put me in a new room and did not mention it, but they also could have called Dee Dee herself to figure the situation out. There was no reason for TWO bad nights sleep, as it was a waste of over $215.00, and sadly enough, every issue could have been diverted or avoided all together, with some communication.

With such a beautiful property, and wonderful manager, I would like to rate this higher then I did. I would have given it 4-5 stars, even with the issues, if they had been easily taken care of. Dee Dee did state she would happily beat the priceline rate we paid in the future if we would like to stay with them. While we travel with family often, and have a need for 2 bedrooms, I am not sure we would stay again - as we usually arrive late in the evening, always need a crib and basically follow that pattern. This place just may not be a good fit for our family, but here is a couple tips if you do think it might be right for you:
Bring extra coffee- they are generous and give you 8 cups worth of coffee, but anyone who has used a coffee pot knows that the measurements for 8 cups is off, and its really about 5 mugs of coffee!
DO NOT SHOW UP LATE! if you have an specifics you may need for the room- or want to avoid issues, show up before the office closes. I know that check in starts at 4PM, and check out must be done at 10am or earlier, so i advise if you need anything taken care of, you deal with it away from those times, as they will be less busy.

This review was hard for me to write, as I had no problems with management, however, the issues are valid and in the interest of an honest review, needed to be told.
I would still recommend this place to someone, but would advise the issues stated.

If i stay again in the future; i will revise this review

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed the week of Spring Break and the resort was full. It was very quiet and peaceful. Everyone was polite and friendly from the security to the office staff. The condo was very spacious and updated in every way. It had only quality appliances. We had a two bedroom condo. We had double balconies with inside and outside access. The master bedroom had a king bed and was very spacious. The bathroom had a double vanity, a shower and a full size jacuzzi tub. We also had a washer and drier in our unit which was handy after visiting the parks. There were several pools and hot tubs, but we did not visit those areas. The resort was located very close to Sea Worl and Disney and also close enough to Universal Studios. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mount Sterling, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My family has stayed at Polynesian Isle twice now for Spring Break. It is such a beautiful resort and offers so much for the whole family ( swimming, several hot tubs, tennis, playground, basketball court, game room, movie night and kids activities). We only have a few minutes drive to Disney and many other attractions. The condo is very clean and well kept. We will stay at this resort anytime we want to visit this area.

Room Tip: I suggest asking for a room close to the pool if you plan on swimming. However, every condo seems t...
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We exchanged our week to stay at Polynesian Isles Resort. Our unit was a 2br with a full kitchen. The condo was very clean and spacious. We were suprised that our unit did not have a washer/dryer inside the condo. There was a community washer and dryer in the building but that didnt really work for our schedule of endless Disney park hopping.

The check in process at the resort was probably the easist and most pain free experience that I have ever had at a timeshare resort. I was pleasantly surprised that there was not a mention of coming to a presentation at check in. There may have been an attempt to reach us in the condo by phone; however, we never answer the phone. I also had a Fedex packaged delivered to the front office during our stay. The clerk called me as promised and advised me that my package was available for pickup. Again I was impressed.

The exteriors of the buildings look a bit older and the pools are small for a Florida resort. However the grounds are well maintained and seem to offer something for everyone. The resort location is a few blocks off of Rt192 in Kissimmee. So getting to Disney was pretty easy; although, traffic in the evening and weekends was congested. There are places to eat and stores very close to the resort on Rt192.

I am rating this as average due to the fact that we have stayed at other timeshare resorts in the Orlando area that were more luxurious and modern. Otherwise there is absolutely nothing wrong with the resort. We used the resort has a place to sleep and did not spend a lot of time on the property otherwise. If you are looking for a place just to hang out by the pool or stay on property the whole week there are better places suited for that type of vacation.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for spring break with the family to visit the theme parks. The proximity to theme parks is really convenient. Disney being closer than Universal. You should know in advance that these are condos that you rent out. Don't expect conveniences of a hotel at all. It's pretty much renting out an apartment. It's up to you to gather trash and towels at the end of your stay. Pool had lots of leaves (very windy day) in it but very good overall. It is a gated community with security check point as you come in which is nice. The "concierge" will try to get you to go to a time share presentation but it's optional. Rooms were very spacious! You can easily fit a family of six. We will be opting for convenience of a hotel next time though since we really didn't use the kitchen.

• Stayed March 2013
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for our place to stay while in the Orlando area and there are so many options available. I am so glad I did my homework and found this resort because it made our vacation feel luxurious. The resort grounds are secure, beautiful and feature numerous amenities, the room was spacious, clean, and we felt like kings, the service was great, and the location is perfect. We opted to do the timeshare presentation and saved hundreds of dollars on attraction tickets. This resort is shockingly amazing for the price.

THE RESORT

The resort features a security guard at the gate and vehicles need a parking pass, reservation, or must be expected in order to pass. The grounds of the resort were beautiful with two pools, two lakes with fountains, a few hot tubs scattered among the gardens, a basketball court, a tennis court, a putting green, and a couple shuffle board courts. The pools were well maintained and very clean; the water was warm and perfect. Plenty of loungers with padded bedding as well as tables and chairs. There's ample parking that is convenient to all units. The lobby building is luxurious looking inside and features a concierge desk, leather furniture, an arcade room, a large television room with free to use computers, a pool table, and tables and chairs, as well as a small but adequately equipped fitness room. Free news papers were available in the lobby. The resort also has activities all week long - such as kids activities, crafts, pool parties, karaoke, spa treatments, etc (some are free, some have a small cost associated). The units are located in various buildings that are either two or three stories tall. The buildings are slightly different from each other but all are close to a pool.

The service was also exceptional here. Right from the front desk attendant, to the house keeping and grounds staff, and especially the friendly security staff at the front gate.

The location of the resort is one of its best features. It's a quiet area on a not busy street. You have immediate access to 535 and 192 which will both get you to the I4, you can also get to International Drive via the 535 - these are the major roads you will use to get around. I was surprised how quickly you get to Disney from the resort property - less than 7 minutes. Similarly, was the distance to the Premium Outlets. Sea World/Aquatica/Discovery Cove are only 15 minutes away and Universal and Islands of Adventure are only 25 minutes away. Oldtown is about 5 minutes away. The traffic is a little heavy on the 535 at times but it was never a problem to get around. There are PLENTY of restaurants within a 5 minute drive and there's the new Lake Buena Vista Outlets just off the intersection of Polynesian and the 535. I would say it was the perfect location.

THE ROOM

In regards to the room, firstly, I need to caution that our room was in building 13 which housed only four 2-bedroom units on two floors - the only building like this. We were in room 1322 which was on the second floor overlooking pool B and the lake. I believe this building was the only one that had both interior and exterior access. Basically the room was half of the second floor so we had balconies on both sides off both bedrooms and the living room area. I provide this caution because the other buildings looked different so the rooms may not be as nice as I describe.

When we entered the room we were blown away at the space.

Of our the two bedrooms, one housed a king sized bed and the other held two double beds. Both beds were very comfortable and offered pillows of varying hardness/softness. Both bedrooms had bathrooms; the master bathroom was gorgeous - large shower stall, double sink vanity, jacuzzi tub, and very spacious; the second bedroom had a bathroom that as accessible from the living room/kitchen area as well as the bedroom and it had a tub/shower, vanity, and large closet. There were plenty of bath towels and larger pool towels - we stayed for 10 days and only had to request more towels on our second last day. The hotel provides toilet paper, tissues, and other bath items for free... you just have to ask for more supplies from the front desk. A hairdryer was also available. Both bedrooms also had large closets, dressers, televisions, and a ceiling fan, and there was a free electronic safe in the master bedroom. All windows/doors in the bedrooms had blackout curtains.

The kitchen had literally everything you could possibly need, even paper towels! It's a small kitchen but the appliances were good quality and there's enough room in there. The fridge had an ice/water dispenser, there was a garbage disposal, even dish washing liquid and a dishwasher.

The living room area featured a very spacious area for watching television that had a sleeper bed couch and two arm chairs. None of the furniture was particularly comfortable. The television was a tube television (fat kind) and featured sometimes spotty reception of the less than 100 cable channels. There was also a DVD player. The eating area had a bar and a large table with adequate seating. There were perhaps a dozen light switches in this area so it may take some experimentation to figure out what controls what. This area also had a closet with laundry appliances and the heating/cooling system. The digital thermostat was also in this area just inside the kitchen (took some searching out).

Overall, the air temperature in the room was perfect to however you had it programmed. It would have been nice if the thermostat was programmable for the entire week so it would automatically adjust the temperature between day and night. They practically give those away these days and would save the resort some heating/cooling expenses as it's more energy efficient. The wifi was terrible though. I could occasionally get reception if I held by device up to the wall behind the couch. It was better reception on the balcony but not as good as on the grounds of the resort. We did not have any trouble with noise from the other units and the rooms were remarkably clean and well-kept (there was even a little placard under the bed that said "Yes, we clean under here too!" which I thought was cute.

SOME NEGATIVES

There were a few things I would suggest the resort change in the unit to improve. First and foremost, the shower heads provided a really intense, hard shower. I don't know anyone who actually enjoys that kind of shower and if you have a sun burn that type of shower is unbearable. Also, it took a few minutes to heat up the shower water. A minor concern is the televisions. They were all tube televisions (the fat kind) and although they offered many channels the quality was often poor (ie. static) and most comparable resorts/hotels feature premium cable through a cable box. Understandably, no one is there to watch television but it would be a nice addition. It would also have been nice if at least some of the balcony was screened in as the bugs can be bad at night. A bigger expenditure would be to purchase more comfortable furniture for the living room. Finally, but perhaps most importantly, the wifi reception was spotty and poor in our unit. We basically could not connect to the internet on any of our devices (Apple, Android, it didn't matter). We got slightly better reception out on the balcony but it was no where near the good reception available out on the grounds. There's no excuse for this given the strong wifi on the grounds and all that would be required is a wireless booster in the unit or better yet the wireless transmitter.

Aside from these suggestions, we would have appreciated a book that told us about the resort and its policies. Perhaps these were available in other units and was supposed to be in ours but we didn't have one.

Overall, the resort was fantastic and we will definitely stay again in the future.

TIMESHARE PRESENTATION

I also wanted to describe our experience with the timeshare sales. Basically the concierge is a marketer for the timeshare presentations for Diamond (which now owns the entire property). Great values can certainly be had on attraction tickets if you are willing to sacrifice a couple of hours. The concierge has you fill out a survey and if you meet the marketing criteria they are looking for they will give you anything to get you to their presentation. You can get the attraction tickets before the presentation, as well, and they will refund the difference after you attend the presentation. They have you drive to a nearby resort that Diamond built. They offer free snacks and drinks and there's a kids area where they can go watch movies or play video games and be watched by their dedicated staff while you attend the presentation. The presentation is one on one with a salesman. Diamond offers a different spin on the timeshare concept. At no point did I feel the salesman was being excessively strong... they are sales people after all so you have to expect that they will try to talk you in to a sale. If you say no, they will talk to you about why you said no, but ultimately they know when you're not going to buy and they know when to walk away to avoid a negative experience. That being said, I was honest on my marketing survey and hit a lot of the criteria they were hunting for so they tried REALLY hard to get a sale out of me. After 90 minutes with the salesman I got the sales manager and then 30 minutes later I got someone who was supposed to do a survey but they just tried to sell me on a cheaper trial package. Tip#1: lie on your survey; tell them your income is poor, tell them you don't travel, etc. And you may be able to avoid the hard sale. Tip#2: Insist you want to take the information home to review further. They want to make the sale that day and after some initial effort they will let you walk away if they know they won't make a sale that day. As long as you go to the presentation and give them an honest opportunity to sell to you there is no reason you won't get your discounted attraction tickets. In the end, we saved hundreds of dollars doing this and got tickets with early park admission to Islands of Adventure so we could do the Harry Potter stuff before it got crazy. I would definitely say it was worth the time... and what they're selling does sound interesting and tempting. It was educational if nothing else and most of the time we were there it was mostly casual chit-chat. No one forced us to attend the presentation or even approached us about it. We were only invited because we inquired with the concierge about discounted attraction tickets.

Room Tip: Ask for building 13 if you're getting a two-bedroom. It's worth the 90-120 minutes to att...
Lancaster, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband, brother, and sister-in-law stayed at the Polynesian Isle resort for a week in February. First, because our airline flight was delayed, we were not able to check in until 4 in the morning which was not a problem. The security guard very quickly checked us in and sent us to our condo. The condo, itself, was very clean and well decorated. I appreciated that there were starter dishing washing liquid, toilet paper, etc. which many places don't have. The bed in the master bedroom was almost as comfortable as my bed at home.To get the few groceries we needed, we went to the super Walmart about 1/2 mile away. We did get to go to the pool twice while we were there, and it was very clean, and the chaise lounges were very comfortable. I appreciated that this resort was very quiet with no loud partying going on, at least to my knowledge. We did go to the Disney parks everyday, and we were only about 15 minutes away. The only caution I have is that we were on the top floor so we had many steps to climb. It was not a problem for us, but it could be for others. I am sure, though, that you can specify a specific floor. For the price and value, I will, definitely, stay here again!

Room Tip: If you can't climb stairs, be sure to request a first floor condo.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Polynesian Isles Resort? Share your experiences!