“Roach Motel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #118 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
sharkbait466
“Roach Motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

I recently stayed at the Econo lodge maingate central in Kissimmee florida and I have to say that place is a rat hole! Its in a crapy part of town surrounded by a bunch of crack motels. The website said there were resturaunts and shopping near by. When I arrived I saw no resturaunts and no shopping, except for the Nike outlet store, dollar tree, and the shell station next door. I asked about the resturaunts and I was told there was a wafful house a few lights down and the rest are about 1 mile or more away. After a long and painful check in I went to my room only to find probably the crappyest most out of date room I ever saw. (and this was after the website said it was renovated) but no worrys I can let things go. The thing that got got me was the lack of housekeeping and maitnence. There were hairs all over the tub, trash under the bed, and no towels. I called the front desk and asked the front desk clerk who made it sound like she was doing me a favor by taking care of these problems. I was moved to another room and it was a little better(not much mind you) there were still no towels, This time when I called I spoke to a guy and he told me I had to come down to the lobby to get the towels because there were no one else to bring them to my room, so once again I had to go to the lobby. When I got there there were about 4 other guests just screaming at him about the same problems I had( bad housekeeping) by the time I got to the counter he looked like he was ready to pull his hair out. I got my towels and went back up stairs, ever thing was great until I woke up in the middle of the night to a roach crawling on my cheek I turned on the light and saw about 10 of them running for cover. I called the desk and was told there were nothing that could be done about it tonight and he would request maitnence to take care of it first thing in the morning or I could check out. I stayed but I couldn't sleep the whole night. In the morning I went down to breakfast and was very dissapointed, bagles, honeybuns, bannanas, and coffiee. I know it was just a continental breakfast but it was nothing like it said on the internet. The cofiee was great thoe. I decided to take my room issues to the front desk and was told by the very rude blond girl “were taking care of that” My family and I went to the parks and had a great day at Disney, only to come back and see the dirty towels lying on the floor where we left them, the beds not made up and the trash still in the room along with the roaches still running around the room. I called the front desk and demanded to speak with the manager. She took the phone and I told her the problem, but keeping up with the rest of the staff she did nothing. Within 20 minuts of hanging up the phone We were packed up and checked out by the night guy. If I had a dollar for everytime he apologised it would have paid for the room itself. Take my advice people DONT STAY HERE!!!

• Liked — the speedy check out
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

I was nervous about staying here after reading a lot of the reviews on this site, but as most of them were old, and I was getting an amazing rate (around $21/night in a package deal from Expedia), we decided to go ahead and book it anyways.

The hotel isn't a four star hotel, but it doesn't claim to be, and if you're expecting that at the rates that are charged, you are a fool and deserve a bad experience, in my opinion. Our room was clean, had a lovely comfortable king sized bed, sofa (probably was a sofa bed, but we didn't think to check), dining table, working mini fridge/freezer and microwave, etc. The bathroom fixtures were dated (discolored from age, not from dirt). The room was cleaned every day and cleaned very well, the staff was amazingly friendly and helpful, and the location was great. The free shuttle got us to Disney before the parks opened, which allowed us to get on the best rides before any lines, and if we didn't want to wait for it to return us to the hotel (it ran later at night) we could take the bus (I believe the 56 LYNX) which ran directly from the front of the hotel to the Magic Kingdom, took no more than 30 minutes, and cost $1.75 (the public busses are great down there!). Also, the 55 takes you up and down the 192 where you can eat at any number of restaurant, buy groceries (Super Target and Publix are within an easy walk, and a Walmart Supercentre is a quick bus ride away). Down the street is an awesome teppenyaki restaurant called Kuboki (I think?) that has unbelievably good prices, and copious amounts of delicious food. We're not from the US and therefore aren't used to the staggering portion sizes that are available, so we would take our leftovers back to the room and use the handy fridge and micro to have a pretty good breakfast each day.

Our only "complaint" would be that the breakfast was kind of lacking (two kinds of bagels, toast, and packaged honey buns along with coffee and juice, and bananas) but as I said, the fridge and microwave made up for that anyways. Considering we paid $20 a night for a free shuttle, free breakfast, and a clean, safe, quiet place to stay, I really can't complain. I wonder if a lot of the people reviewing this place brought any of their "problems" to the attention of the staff, or just waited until after their stay to complain? (Whether to ask for a discount after the fact, or just to write a negative review of the place). I'm almost sure that the staff I met would have been more than accomodating to any of these "problems".

If I could give advice to a friend going, I would say, stay here, get the best of the best Disney pass available, with the water parks etc option, with the money you save, use the water parks and everything available to you at Disney and then come home to a great place to sleep and stay. If you want a place where you can sit by the pool and hang out in the hotel all day, look elsewhere. Otherwise, this is great.

• Liked — Location, Friendliness of Staff, Amazing Price
  • Disliked — Lack of Options at Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2008

It was with some trepidation that we booked five nights in this hotel but for the price you really could not ask for a better hotel. The bed sheets were spotlessly clean, carpets and toilets were clean the air con was a bit noisy but very efficient. The staff were very friendly and helpful and I must single out James on the night desk for being especially helpful above and beyond any expectations you would have for hotel staff.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Hudsonville,
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2008

We arrived late, after a long day at Disney. This room was booked over the phone with a Choice Hotels customer service representative and we specifically asked for someplace NICE in the area with a pool. The person working the front desk when we arrived was friendly and helpful enough, but that's the only good experience we had here.

Unfortuately we weren't able to use the pool since we had an early flight, but just as unfortunate was the room. My first impression when walking in was that it smelled awful, almost urine like.

The bathroom door had a hole in one side, like someone punched it, there were cracked tiles and the tub, toilet and floor all looked stained and less than clean. The shower faucet was not properly attached to the wall either and looked as if it may fall off. The faucet handles on the sink were pretty grimy too and there was no handsoap to be found (lucky I always have hand sanitizer).

The bedding was also questionable. I couldn't sleep all night because I was unable to get comfortable because all I could think about was how dirty the room was and how bad it smelled. If we would have checked in earlier, or had been leaving later (we were only there about 6 hours) I would have asked for a different room, but that wasn't really an option at our late hour of arrival.

I'm not a super picky person, it doesn't take a lot to make me happy, and this place couldn't even do that, I would seriously recommend paying a few dollars more and staying elsewhere.

Stayed April 2008
Wales,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

This hotel is better than most of it's competitors for the same price. As we only needed a bed for one night this hotel was fine. The rooms were clean, most likely recently refurbished. The bathroom had a new tub, surround and shower curtain, no mould in sight. The bed linen was clean and the carpets did not leave the usual black dirt on your socks!

There was a fridge and microwave in the room. Breakfast not great, but free so what do you expect. Packaged Bagels, Muffins, Danish, OJ, Tea and Coffee. A toaster and some condiments were provided for use though. Front desk staff very helpful and polite.

This definitely was no different in size/layout than the other hotels priced around $60 and much cleaner than most I have stayed in. If all you need is somewhere to sleep then this place is ideal, especially if you use a coupon like we did!

Stayed June 2007
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2007

i was just recently at this hotel.

before making a reservation there, i read all the reviews here and they were mixed. however, the most recent one was very positive, so i thought it was worth a look. however, i still approached this place with trepidation, and rightly so.
when we exited our car, the area around the hotel wreaked of cigarette smoke. this is the one thing i absolutely cannot tolerate in a hotel room cause i cough from the smell.

i think part of the experience there may depend on which room you get. well our room did not smell from smoke, thank goodness, altho there was a smell of air freshener, like the ones you hang in the car. frankly, i hate that smell. i think often that is used to cover up a smoke smell, but i didnt sense that in this room. this smell dissipated within a day.

the carpet was fine. this is big for me cause i feel really uncomfortable if i have to constantly keep my feet covered. however, it was dusty under the luggage stand, as if they didnt vacuum there cause they would have to move it.

i can confirm what i believe most of the posts say about the employees. they are very helpful and courteous. esp. the hotel manager. she was very receptive to my questions and requests.

the toilet was very sad. it was clean, but it looked like it had been washed many times cause the plastic was fading. the seat was also broken, where the seat and the back of it are attached, and my husband had to fix it about half a dozen times. there was crud under the shower nozzle.

the cost wasnt cheap, at least in comparison the the $27someone posted below. we spent $60 a night for a 2bed room, with microwave and fridge. of course that was over the high demand spring and holiday breaks. if the room had been in better condition, it wd have been worth the cost.

the beds were ok. my husband and i felt they were too soft. my daughter liked them. the linen was clean, but there was a hole in one of the sheets. that really turns me off. however, perhaps this is nitpicking.

i believe one of the amenities this hotel boasts is a better than average free continental breakfast and this is what we found. there were bagels, muffins, oranges, apples, a variety of cold cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, danish. the only complaint i had was that they put the milk and yogurt containers out sparingly.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Montreal, Qc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2006

We stayed at the Econo Lodge in November and although this hotel had very basic amenities ... the price was right. We paid only 27$ a night for 2 people. So, we overlooked the little imperfections. The staff was very friendly and helpful and by the end of our week there, it almost felt like home.

• Liked — Choice Hotels
  • Disliked — small imperfections with the room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Maingate Central? Share your experiences!