“Not what we expected.....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Palms Resort and Campground

Save Saved
You added Tropical Palms Resort and Campground to your Saves list
Tropical Palms Resort and Campground
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   2650 Holiday Trail, Kissimmee, FL 34746 (Formerly Tropical Palms FunResort)   |
Ranked #48 of 159 hotels in Kissimmee
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
“Not what we expected.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

My hubby and I frequent Old Town alot, which is a carnival meets small town shopping area with a car show every Friday and Saturday night.

Tropical Palms is within walking distance so for a mini trip away from the kids we decided to venture there

Upon our arrival we were told (via signage) to stop and check in...thing is that stopping point is right in the middle of the road...seemed a little unorganized.
When we entered the lobby there was what looked like bums sitting around but I chalked it up to this being a camping resort so maybe that's just the outdoorsy looking type yet when they walked out and down the street away from the resort I figured my guess was right.
The guy who checked us in was friendly and told us that our cottage would be ready in an hour and a half , the thing is that check in was at 3:00 and we were there at 230 to see about early check in so with that being said the 3:00 check in was not the case. We went out for a late lunch and wasted some time. Before we left the friendly guy did all the check in paperwork and told us what room number we had.
Before lunch we did a quick drive through , place seemed quaint and very family friendly , with games and water slides and the pool was packed ...we were getting excited.
After lunch we came back, got the key and were off to our room.
Upon check in we noticed that there were many vacant places around us making us wonder why we had to wait for this one. The cottage was an old mini trailer, the "not what we expected part". It had a small radio built into the walls with speakers which was a nice. There were a few wasps in the corner that the hubby killed. Overall we were just sleeping there so we weren't gonna make a big deal out of it but I did tell the front desk about the wasps and they offered us a can of wasp spray.....
We got ready and walked to Old Town. We came back about midnight, still noticing many vacant cottages, to the customers of a cottage across from us drinking and partying which later escalated to a huge argument with chairs being thrown, at that point it was 3 am and morning was coming soon.
When we checked out we told the lady who helped us and she said that she had already been informed from another nearby cottage about what happened. I wasn't looking for money off my stay but an apology would have been nice considering she did say that security drove by and said that it was a "quiet night"....anyway to finalize this story....apologies go far , so does empathy and again why did we have to wait past the check in time for that cottage, when there were so many vacant??????

I wouldn't say avoid this place but don't have high expectations .....

• Stayed June 2013

171 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
arya29
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here for the first 3 days of our 10 day Florida vacation. When we first walked to our "platinum" villa we noticed the deck was worn and warped, didn't look safe to walk on. We entered through a bedroom the size of a closet, very tiny, smaller than bedrooms on a cruiseship. maybe a few inches to walk on the side of the bed. The couch in living areas was torn in 3 different places. when my daughter went to bathe the shower door fell on her! They did send people to fix it when I called, but come on, really, falling on a 5 year old???? should they not have checked this before? they are lucky I am not the lawsuit type. First day we arrived pool was closed due to some pool repair. really??? and I mean ALL day closed! when I called to complain no apologies given. The mini golf was just a hot mess. Basically all torn up and most filled with dirty rain water, no drainage system in place for the golf. And there are NO activites for kids like they advertise. We went to Orange lake resort for the remainder of our stay , which was like paradise. Tropical palms should be tropical nightmare.

Room Tip: don't stay here
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We have stayed at Tropical Palms several times in their cottages. We always rent the Premium and they are ok. I wish the floors were cleaner and the bedroom had a TV. The location is great and the staff are always friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This place is great. The staff were very welcoming and could not do enough for us. The campground is within walking distance of Old Town and near to Walt Disney World. The resort is very pretty and well kept. The resort has a caribbean feel to it with pretty painted cottages and landscaped gardens. The pool area was fun, July 4th weekend was a blast. The cafe had great deals on food and drink and the staff were amazing. They also have a huge blow up water slide,($5 a day for as many goes as you wanted). They have a fishing lake, Watch out for the turtles and gators!. We really did have a wonderful time.... can't wait to go again!!!

Edison, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We used to visit The Tropical Palms for long weekends several times per year when we lived in Florida. A large group of us would go and we would rent multiple cabins. It had always been a fun inexpensive get away spot where the kids could run, splash in the pool, play games and the parents could join in or relax and catch up. It was a bonus that we did not need to go to a restaurant for every meal or squeeze the whole family into a small hotel room.
In the years since we moved our friends have actually purchased RV’s and no longer rent the cabins, but still visit several times per year. We were going to be in Florida and agreed to meet them the weekend of July 4th. We rented a cabin and they rented RV spaces.
Check in was seamless and we were excited to get to our new home for the next few days. Immediately I noticed that the deck to the cabin was worn to the point of the wood rotting through in areas. We opened the door to see basically the same cabin we saw 9 years prior. Nothing had changed and I mean nothing. The sofa cushions actually each had tears in them about 4 inches long and the arms were worn down the wood. Paint was chipped in every room and tiles were cracked in the bathroom. The kitchen sink would sometimes come on, and sometimes not. At first I thought it had to have been a joke. However, I quickly found that it was not.
While unpacking my husband moved a recliner in the living room, only to find old candy wrappers under it. I could take no more and went to the front. To my horror, they stated they did not have any other cabins and they have a no refund policy. Needless to say, there will be no more reservations made to stay at Tropical Palms.

Tampa, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

We loved the location and atmosphere. Easy walk to Old Town and Fun Spot. So many things around to do. We had a grass back in site with sewer. It was clean. Can't wait to go back for a longer stay!!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Coconut Creek, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

My family has been going to this location for 17 years. 19 of us - with 5 cabins. At one time It was a great location at a great price. In the past few years, yes as others have stated, the rooms are aging and they are not what they used to be. We've had family members hurt from breaking chairs and unstable railings and decks. The shower pressure is terrible, as well as the tubs that don't work and the broken toilets that leak all over the floor. The beds are worn out and uncomfortable.
The last time we contacted them to make a reservation they acted like they had no idea who we were. I knew I had spoken to this woman for several years. They told us they could not accommodate us because they booked other people in our cabins. I told her I was ready to pay in full, but could she check with the manager, as we have been going there for 17 years and always stayed in the same cabins. She told me "I will talk to the manager, but you need to call back another day and I don't think we can accommodate you." Being that I have customer service background, I would have thought the proper response to be "Let me take your number and I'll have the manager call you back." There wasn't a care in the world as to who we were or them getting our business, so they no longer will. No customer service or loyalty.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Tropical Palms Resort and Campground? Share your experiences!