“AVERAGE HOTEL” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 157 hotels in Kissimmee
Mass
“AVERAGE HOTEL”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel is in need of some serious updating. Our recent stay there was a bit of a disappointment based on high reviews from other travelers. If this hotel rates 16 out of 165 hotels I have to wonder what the rest of the hotels in this area are like. I would not give this lodging more than a two star rating. Kitchen cabinets were totally worn out and glasses, dishes, etc were few (4 glasses total and about the same for other dinner ware). Our dishwasher was run by housekeeping with only 3 glasses in it but perhaps this is a requirement? Living space was minimal but the double double bedroom was large and comfortable. The location was wonderful as was the price - I guess you get what you pay for. The included "continental" breakfast was excellent with a very large variety of breakfast foods. If you are looking for an affordable no frills place to stay this is the place.

Room Tip: get an upstairs room if possible because on the lower floor you can hear every footstep above you.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

315 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I recently stayed at The Palms Hotel and Villas for a quick business trip near Disney. I found the hot tub wonderful after the cramped airline seats and took a quick dip in the heated pool before bed as well. The breakfast area was large and had plenty of options for me to fuel up before I hit the road. With a late checkout at 1pm, I didn't have to drag my belongings with me to my meeting and I found the staff very friendly. Wifi is FAST and seemed to reach the entire property, as I like to make calls and surf the web as I pace outdoors. In my opinion this was a great value for a one bedroom apartment with a kitchen this close to Disney. I'll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I like the buildings by the pool personally.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Would recommend to anyone that has limited time to deal with details. Management is very accommodating, has been there for a long time, and takes care of everything. If you arent going to spend all day in your room complaining about a crumb or the road noise (its orlando, you are gonna get road noise or kids or old people waking up at 5am deal with it) even though you arent spending $2000 for the week and you are there to have fun and not complain because you are on vacation, and dont want to worry about the small stuff, I would stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We spent four nights at the Palms on a recent family vacation to Disney. For $80 a night for a one-bedroom suite, we weren't expecting anything beyond "adequate" and that's exactly what you get - a clean, reasonably sized suite together with a bare bones complimentary breakfast. The outdoor pool area (heated pool) is quite nice (hot tub a bit too hot), the breakfast room is spacious and pleasant. Wifi was good, appreciated the free USA Today and we were grateful for delayed checkout (to 1 pm) on our last day. Room was cleaned daily and housekeeping was responsive when we needed extra towels, shampoo etc.

A few minor complaints: the door to our room was old and warped (saw many others in the same condition), so light flooded in from the outside even when the door was closed. The free shuttle to Disney they advertise is a joke - first one is at 7 am, then the next not till 10.30! We ended up driving ourselves. The coffee at breakfast was pretty awful.

One major complaint: highway noise! Most of the rooms are near a major highway, and the windows are old and single-pained so it sounded like the trucks were rolling past your head at night. I slept with ear plugs and even they were only marginally helpful. Note to management: invest in new windows!!

Bottom line: We loved the location (about as close as you can get to Disney without staying at a Disney property) and the price was right. But if you're a light sleeper, do not expect to get much sleep!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wade M, General Manager at The Palms Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and for sharing your thoughts and comments about your visit with us and with our future guests

Your gracious comments about our location, value for price paid, rooms, pool area, and the service from our housekeeping staff is appreciated.

I am sorry that one of our six scheduled trips to Epcot at Walt Disney World did not more comfortably fit your schedule, and that you were not satisfied with our complimentary breakfast, which consists of waffles, eggs, French toast, white and wheat toast, bagels, a selection of fresh pastries, a choice of three cold cereals, oatmeal, muffins, fresh fruit, a selection of fruit juices and drinks, regular and decaf coffees, teas, and milk.

In addition, I have directed our Maintenance department to check all of the appropriate guestroom doors for the problem that you kindly noted. We encourage guests to contact any member of our staff, or hotel management during your stay should you have any questions or concerns, as our staff would have been more than happy to change the room of any of our guests who found that their room location was not one for light sleepers.

We appreciate your patronage, and look forward to your return again! Your feedback is important in meeting and exceeding your expectations and those of our future guests, and I am glad that you were willing to share the details of your visit. Thank you again!!

Lenoir City, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a place that looks like kids book to party at during spring break. The rooms were old and shabby. Lipstick marks on the glasses in the cabinets, busted clock radio, stained upholstery, chipped veneer cabinets, rusted or grimy closet door track and just plain dirty. If this is the best pet friendly hotel in Kissimmee stay in another town. They have a strict cancelation policy or we would have not stayed. They also charge a non refundable pet cleaning fee which I understand but they are not using the fees to clean the rooms. The breakfast is not even good, the eggs look like prefab circles.The place is old and in need of a facelift. I try never to leave negative reviews but this needs to be said! I wished the review posted on Jan 21st had been there before we booked because it is the most accurate of the ones I read.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Wade M, General Manager at The Palms Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for your comments. As we discussed by telephone, our goal is to not only meet but to exceed the needs of each and every guest we serve. Again, I apologize that your experience at our hotel was less than 100% to your satisfaction, and that our shortcomings blemished your visit with us.

We discussed and directed both our Maintenance and Housekeeping departments to correct the areas that you were kind enough to bring to our attention. We encourage guests to contact any member of our staff, or hotel management during your stay should you have any questions or concerns. The Palms Hotel & Villas has housekeeping and maintenance team members on site from 7AM to 11PM daily so even late evening requests can be handled. As I mentioned to you on the telephone, the condition of some of the items in your room were in need of attention.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy our complimentary breakfast. Our daily selections include waffles, eggs, French toast, white and wheat toast, bagels, a selection of fresh pastries, a choice of three cold cereals, oatmeal, muffins, fresh fruit, a selection of fruit juices and drinks, regular and decaf coffees, teas, and milk. Our eggs are eggs patties, similar to those served at the local McDonald’s on their breakfast sandwiches. A comparable breakfast at other Orlando resorts would cost $6.95 per person plus tax and gratuity, and a great number of our guests with families find this great savings on their overall vacation costs.

We do charge a non refundable pet fee when guests with pets occupy one of our guestrooms. The fee is indeed used to for the extra service that is required to prepare a room for the next occupant, and your assumption to the contrary is incorrect.

Again, thank you for the comments that you have shared with us and fellow guests, and again I am sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations. We will be working hard to regain your confidence.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel is old. The room was dirty and smelly. They did not leave any soap in the room. Also, we could hear constant walking from upstairs. The hotel staff are not friendly. I am not sure how this hotel got 4 star rating from Trip Advisor. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. I do not think I will ever stay here again. It is probably worth paying some more dollars and staying in a nicer place.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wade M, General Manager at The Palms Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to rate your visit to our hotel. I regret that your experience at our hotel was less than 100% to your satisfaction, and apologize for our shortcomings. Our goal is to not only meet the needs but to exceed the expectations of every guest that we serve, and we are truly concerned that we failed to reach our goal during your visit.

I am sorry for the difficulties that were found in your room. Our housekeeping and maintenance departments would like to apologize if you found their service not up to par with their usually high standards. We are truly embarrassed that we let you down. We encourage guests to contact any member of our staff, or hotel management during your stay should you need additional amenities or if we overlooked anything. We have housekeeping and maintenance team members on site from 7AM to 11PM daily so even late evening requests can be handled. We are also an Official Walt Disney World Good Neighbor Hotel and receive regular mystery shopper inspections administered through Disney to maintain this prestigious designation.

I would like to learn further details of your visit and to make a more personal apology via telephone. Would you be kind enough to call me at my office as requested in my email to you?

Our Four Star rating from Trip Advisor is derived from the comments of other visitors to our hotel…..the large majority of which had different opinions and experiences than your own.

Again, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Your observations will help us improve our product and service to enable us to better serve our future guests.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This was a return trip to the villas in December 2012. We had stayed in February 2010. This is a very nice older hotel for the price. Well kept with easy access to surrounding attractions and restaurants. We had a nice suite with fairly easy access. Only wish the breakfast had offered bacon, sausage or ham. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Wade M, General Manager at The Palms Hotel and Villas, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for sharing your thoughts and comments with us and our future guests. We do appreciate your recognition of our commitment to your comfort and to providing you with exceptional value by your kind words about our resort. We are glad to see that we have earned your trust, and that we will be able to enjoy your business again and again!!!

We value and appreciate your continued patronage.

Wade D. Michael, CHA, CMCA

Been to The Palms Hotel and Villas? Share your experiences!