“Better options elsewhere...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Maingate Lakeside Resort

You added Maingate Lakeside Resort to your Saves list
Maingate Lakeside Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7769 West Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
Ranked #57 of 160 Hotels in Kissimmee
Miami, Florida, United States
“Better options elsewhere...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

Now I'm not that hard to please because I myself work at a hotel (front desk rep) and I know how hard customers can be sometimes so I'll try to write an honest review.

One of the main reason why I chose this resort was because of its advertised flexible shuttle times. I don't know what time the shuttle left on my first day because I missed it completely by a few mins (which is entirely our fault) but on the second day, I was at their desiginated bus stop 30 mins early. Their shuttle scheduled departure was 12:20pm, shuttled arrived at 12:05pm and we were relieved to hop on the shuttle with the AC on. Next thing was kind of unexpected, the driver looks outside, sees no one else and just leaves with 5 passengers.. I kind of feel bad for those who came after 12:05pm, even if they made it before 12:20pm, they missed the shuttle. I also like to add that in the shuttle, their was a sign saying "No fees from the hotel has been added for the complimentary shuttle services, to Disney, Tip is expected for good service" and it even goes on to list what tips to give per passenger.

I tipped regardless of seeing that sign but it's still kind of ironic how in the RESORT FEE charged I recieved in this resort clearly states that it was for transportation, and etc.

In addition, this resort is the FIRST stop for shuttle pickup, so prepare to stop on several other resort/hotels on the way to Disney which can take a while...

Now about the stay, they had a nice size fridge, plenty of towels, the beds were comfy and the AC even had a heater option which was Awesome!

However, the hot water in the shower wouldn't work through the shower head but works fine when it comes out through the bath tub haha... I played with it and figured out that both of them had to be on for hot water to work?

I was so tired the first night after Disney I just got into the comfy bed and drifted to sleep... Halfway through the night, I noticed a weird smell in the room that awoken me and i found out it was coming from the mattress pads. It smelled like pet hair so I tossed that on the floor and continued to sleep haha..

Oh and the Wifi does not work in our rooms, I read some reviews about that but took our chances anyways... I called and was told the wifi only worked in the lobby at the moment so I asked if the had a computer at the lobby for the guest to use.. guess what they said? "25 cents a minute" What a joke..I took my laptop to the front desk and sat their as I overheard other rooms call in about the same wifi issue and the front desk agents lying blatantly to them that it just went down today and etc etc... After these agents who appeared so nice @ checkin, through the phone, and etc. They talked about the guests right after they hung up the phone even when several of us were their at the lobby using wifi. Awkward!

In conclusion, take your chances elsewhere....

Room Tip: Close to the lobby to "HOPEFULLY" get a wifi connection
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear SMFL22: Thank you for your review. Your comments are very important to us and we can understand why you may be less than satisfied. You have raised some concerns in your email on some particular items that we would like to discuss with you. Please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may speak with you regarding your stay. We do hope you may decide to stay with us again in the future. Thank you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The resort is perfect for Disney. On arrival we had to wait 10 mins for someone to check us in. At first the room looked nice, but it was actually dirty. The maids were useless. They stayed in the room next to us for 2 hours watching tv. I bought anti bacterial wipes and cleaned the room myself. The worst experience was the shop staff,(the male). He was so rude, didnt say please or goodbye or anything, what a horror!! This hotel could be so nicer if more effort was put in, and the bedding washed. We stayed 8th Jan 2013-22nd Jan 2013.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear treyyyy: Thank you for your review. We apologize for any inconvenience during your stay. There are some mentions in your review regarding staff that is concerning. Please contact the hotel and as for the Director of Operations so I may discuss your stay with you and make this right. Thank you and we hope you may give us a second chance in the future.
Knebworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

After having read so many negative reviews, I have to say that we were more than a little sceptical about booking in here. Sure, it did have some faults, but made for a cheap, comfortable place to stay with easy access to the local attractions. We went to Magic Kingdom, it was no more than a 15 minute drive.

Our room was quite spacious, I would call it typical motel style accommodation. The only immediate negatives upon entering the room was that there was an obvious water leak from one of the taps in the vanity unit. Water had spread all over the vanity and also the floor surrounding so I had to use some of the towels provided to mop it up. Also, there were hairs around the toilet seat, and it was apparent the bathroom had obviously only had a very brief clean before we arrived. We stayed for two nights and our first night (a Thursday) we were awakened at 5.30am by the very loud noise of what sounded like rubbish trucks constantly going back and forth past our room (we were in building 8). This went on until about 7am. I have to say the second night there was no such noise and we had a much quieter sleep.

We paid for the breakfast buffet the second morning of our stay. It was good value for money and provided a good selection of what seemed freshly prepared food. There was also a made to order omelette station which looked great, although we didn't try it. The added bonus of an on-site Pizza Hut meant that we didn't have to go out looking for food at 10pm after a long flight from the UK.

All in all, this was an OK place to stay. You really do get what you pay for. We were out at the Magic Kingdom for over 12 hours so really spent minimal time in the room during our stay, and this is what I would recommend it for, as I don't think you would want to spend a full day around the hotel. I am in complete agreeable with others though that the $10 per day 'resort fee' is a bit steep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jane P: Thank you for staying with us and reviewing your stay. We appreciate your comments and are happy to read you were pleased with our restaurant and Pizza Hut! We certainly hope you come back to visit us again soon!
Gahanna, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This hotels website is nothing like the actual place! Just returned from a four night stay at this hotel with two field hockey teams and parents and I will never go back. Check in with my group was not the best but they were helpful at the desk. Housekeeping staff began yelling at each other across the courtyard everymorning at 8 am. That's okay if you had to get up but our playing schedule (we were there for a field hockey tournament) was late night so we wanted to sleep in. There is no jacuzzi at any of the three pools on sight. Bar ran out of beer and mixes by 11 pm on the Saturday night that the adults actually went there. No hot water one morning during our stay and when I called to ask when it would be back the answer was "well it usually takes a couple of hours". Hmm perhaps its time for a new boiler. Their website stated the hotel was newly renovated, must have been years ago a doors look very faded from the outside. Bath room in our hotel was minute! just wide enough to fit tub and toilet and it was hard to get into the room then shut the door. Exact length of the bath tub. The 6 am wake up call to ask if they could come and unstop our toilet was annoying, especially when I told him it wasnt clogged and he asked me if I knew who had a clogged toilet! That night we returned to see a truck with camper attached taking up ALL of the parking spaced in front of our room block. On our day of check out when we had some sleep in time, housekeeping knocked on the door to see if we were checking out soon! Check out time is NOON! I have never had hotel staff knock and ask me. When I questioned the lady she told me I should have informed the desk, really? They know I am checking out at noon and I actually had a late check out scheduled. The woman was extremely rude too. So, all in all not a good experience. The only plus was location which is close to Disney and you don't get caught up in a lot of traffic. Also, plenty of good restaurants within walking distance. They are refunding one night for each of my rooms for the inconvenience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Yvette P: Thank you for your review. We can certainly understand why you would feel this way. We would like to express our sincere apologies for any troubles you encountered and are happy we were able to make this right. We hope you may come back and visit us again to give us a second chance. Thank you!
Aarhus, Denmark
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The hotel is all in all okay, but the place looks old as other reviews also says. The reason way we gave the room 2 is that it looks and feels old, like it could need a fix up. But the bed is good and the rooms are big and you have a fridge to keep things cool. On the hotel there is a Pizza Hut express and a cosy bar were you can buy things to eat most of the day and a restaurant that sereves a breakfast buffet. We missed Wi-fi at the room, this was only available around the reception. There is free shuttle bus service to the theme parks that takes around 30 minutes.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with lake view. The resort is without elevator, so ask for a room at the ground floor...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear MJ_Rejser: Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Your comments do not go unnoticed and we are working daily on improving our facility. As you mentioned, we do have a Pizza Hut Express, lounge, and restaurant all conveniently located in the hotel. Thank you and please come back and visit us again soon!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The hotel was very close to many restaurants and the Disney Parks. The price was great for our quick overnight stay in the area. The hotel itself is older but appears to be maintained. The room itself was clean and the water pressure in the shower was good. There was a mini-fridge that kept our beverages cold but there was no microwave. The A/C worked well too. There was however, no Internet service available in the rooms. We were told that the hotel was changing providers and we could only access the Internet from the lobby. Overall, it was what you would expect from a hotel in this price range.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear IslandGirl071: We appreciate your taking time to review your stay. We take your comments seriously and are making improvements to our wifi. Thank you and please come back to visit us again soon!
Sheldon, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We reserved our room months in advance of our trip to Disney. Arrived late at night and the front desk guy (not overly friendly) acted like they only had two rooms left & could barely fit us in. They added a $10/ room resort fee,which we weren't told at time of booking. The rooms were adequate, but not great. One room had wallpaper border coming off, and non-functional clock radio. The heating unit clicked on and off all night and kept us awake. There wasn't very hot water in the shower in one room. I guess you get what you pay for- the rooms were cheap. We spent every day at Disney right after we got up to late at night, so I guess it was a place to sleep. Wasn't anything to brag about other than that.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms accessed by steps
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear Kristin H: Thank you for reviewing your stay. We apologize for any inconvenience encountered. The hotel has a 24-hour/day supervisor/manager on duty to assist with any issues that may arise as well as maintenance staff. We would like to speak with you regarding your stay. Please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may assist you. Thank you and we do hope you stay with us again in the future.

Been to Maingate Lakeside Resort? Share your experiences!