“Only if you have to!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Maingate Lakeside Resort

You added Maingate Lakeside Resort to your Saves list
Maingate Lakeside Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7769 West Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy, Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #55 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
“Only if you have to!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Hi happy campers. This hotel is old and in need of a refurb. My wife and I are not fussy about our accomodation however this hotel unfortunately fell below our "acceptable for the money" test. The facilities are poor. Small uninviting pool, unattractive restaurant and dated rooms with ant investation problems. A few other reviews have mentioned the ants etc so I wont go on again about that. If you are on a very tight budget it's a roof over your head but I would try elswhere. Good points are the nice staff good location to the parks and lots of food places outside the hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Saladhater: Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. Your comments are important to us and we take them seriously. We are happy to see you were pleased with our nice staff and convenient location. We do apologize for any troubles encountered, such as condition and pests. I would like to assure other guests that the ant problem has been specifically addressed. Thank you for your review and please come back to visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Just got back today after a long break at this hotel. Have stayed there before under it's various ownerships but was bitterly disappointed by this stay.
The in-room safe didn't work for at least 6 days, either wouldn't open or refused to lock. Eventually after many staff visits to fix, was told by one that these safes are at the end of their life, he had to replace the whole unit and still had issues with replacement.
3 days, i had to chase up Reception as room had not been cleaned, one day, past 6.30pm. On 1 day, i had to contact Reception twice in the space of 3 hours as still not cleaned.
Missing tv remote.
When booked, free in room wi-fi was advertised, was told upon arrival that this wasn't the case, had to join groups of others in lobby to surf - spent most of my time in Starbucks instead. Would have chosen to stay at a different hotel if they had been truthful
Poor breakfast buffet, watery oatmeal, breakfast potatoes that had an 'odd' taste - disappointing.
Overall, the room was dirty, thin towels, hot water taking an age to heat up.
Poor tv reception, issues with the air conditioning.
Disgraceful 'resort charge' of $10 per day for very poor service

Could not recommend this hotel any longer, has gone downhill dreadfully over the last few years. The only plus point is the location, good quality restaurants close by, Longhorn Steakhouse, Bahama Breeze, Olive Garden etc.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel, you'll appreciate it more
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Maingate L, Director of Operations at Maingate Lakeside Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear panpant: I would like to thank you for your feedback. Your comments are appreciated and I can certainly understand why you would feel this way. I see you had troubles during your stay and specifically with your in-room safe, housekeeping service, wifi, and breakfast... If there was anything not addressed during your stay and/or you would like to speak with me further, please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may make this right. We value your return business and certainly hope you may stay with us again in the future. I look forward to making this right! Thank you!
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times before and this time I stayed here the last 2 weeks of August, this was my first visit since it has changed hands. Being a regular visitor to Orlando this hotel is very good for location, 5 mins and you're in Disney also lots of places to eat within walking distance and good when travelling with children as I felt comfortable that they were safe going round the hotel on there own to the arcade and to play pool. On previous visits I never had to pay a resort fee and feel the fee was to high for the service - not everyone drinks coffee uses the shuttle bus and as for the Wi-Fi available in room they either need to change their description or get it sorted as you only get Wi-Fi in the reception area. They need to put more seating in the reception area if this is the only place you can use Wi-Fi more than once I had to stand for ages waiting for a seat.
I was in room 279 which was round the main pool so in a good location. The room was clean when we arrived, plenty of towel but the shower curtain was missing but a call to reception and one was fitted straight away. I noticed a few very tiny ants crawling around in the first couple of days but really though nothing off it as they weren't really bothering me but towards the end of the holiday they began to get worse and the day before I left as I was packing and they seems to be everywhere. I went to reception to ask them about the ants taking my bag with me which was full of them and was told these were sugar ants. They said they could move me but I said no point as we were leaving the next morning they said that they would send someone to spray the room while we were out for dinner but I don't think this happened because when we returned the room was still crawling. I actually filmed the wall as I could see loads of the ants running round on it. When I checked out the following morning I let the reception know again so hopefully it was cleared before the next people moved in.
I wouldn't say I won't stay here again as my son loves the hotel but I really need to see and improvement in the reviews and the resort fee dropped down to a reasonable amount.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear fiona d: Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your comments and take your feedback seriously. I would like to apologize for any troubles you encountered and would like to assure other guests that our professional pest control company has treated the entire resort for ants and the problem has been addressed. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay otherwise! Our resort fee is an all-inclusive fee that includes amenities such as: kids 10 and younger eat free program, wifi, theme park shuttles, resort parking, in-room safe, and entertainment. Thank you and we hope to see you again soon!
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

This was our third visit in the last 10 years and not much has changed. We stayed for 2 weeks and we found it to be ok. It is not luxury but for the money you pay it is good.The rooms are reasonable they were cleaned everday with new towels. I didn't find them to be dirty or any evidence of ants and we were in 2 rooms. The doors were secure no problems, We only went to one pool area and that was fine, towels were supplied at the pool but did run out some times later in the day but they will get you some if ask. We didn't use the retaurant as there is many in the area you can use instead. We used the bar which was ok for a drink on a night.
In orlando you don't spend much time in your room as there is so much to do including using the pool, I would use this hotel again if trying to keep costs down. Yes it could do with some refurbishment but all in all it suited our requirements.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear HobyJoby1: We appreciate your taking time in review our hotel. Your comments are very important and appreciated. We take them seriously. We are happy to see you enjoyed your stay and have stayed with us several times in the past. We have many fun and exciting things planned in the near the future with our hotel and can't wait to see you again!
Woodbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel was booked on Expedia with a confirmed price. When checking in I was told about an additional "Resort Fee" of $10. I was checking in late and leaving the next day. When questioning this fee I was told it was mandatory, no exceptions. Upon checking out the next morning this fee grew to $13.50. For a 10 hour stay I was charged the "Resort Fee", two Resort sales taxes, Old RSF fee (what ever that is) and two Resort OCC taxes. One mistake I made was having a reservation, without a reservation I could have walked out, there are many hotels in this area. But with a reservation and not giving the required cancellation time I would have been billed for this anyway. I won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't make reservations. There are plenty of hotels in the area. Pick one out in person.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mark M: Thank you for your review. Please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I may review your charges. The hotel charges a $10.00 (inclusive of tax) Resort Fee per night as stated on Expedia and all other 3rd party booking engines (as well as our own website). This fee is due upon arrival and not collected by the 3rd party booking engine in advance (only room rate and tax). The fee is for hotel amenities. Our apologies if this was not made clear at time of booking. As stated, I would like to hear from you so I may review your bill as something to me does not sound correct the way you mentioned in your review and I would like to fix and make this right. Thank you and we hope you may decide to stay with us again in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Me and my family stayed her for 11 nights returning on 11 th sep all I can say is usually the only people that review places are moaners firstly yes the wifi doesn't connect in yr room you have to go to reception so what not a major problem the rooms are basic but clean we had a poolside room which was cleaned daily and plenty towels left for us the staff are amazing Kathy on reception was brilliant nothing was too much trouble anibal the maintenance man was an angel and Carlos who runs the pool bar was exceptional it was my sons 16 th birthday while we were there and he made our evening helping put up banners and balloons etc nothing was too much trouble even down to ordering and bringing food ordered from pizza express which was lovely. the indoor bar was ok with the pool table etc but we much preferred the service outside ..... The pool was clean and I never saw bins of towels or bins of cigarettes!!! Overall we had a brilliant time the hotel is what you pay for but the staff made it a brilliant holiday we will definitely be going back We have been to Florida 7 times and stayed in villas so this time we thought we would do a hotel and we are so glad we did the people moaning on here should maybe go and stay at the Peabody hotel !!! May I suggest when you have stayed there maybe then you can comment on the places you can now afford

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Rickynicky1: Thank you for your review! We are happy to see you enjoyed your time with us... specifically our lounges, pools, Pizza Hut Express. Kathy said to tell you "Thank You' for your kind comments regarding her service. Please come back to visit us again soon! Thank you...
ny
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I was SPECIFICALLY shopping for PET-FRIENDLY hotel with Wi-Fi. Before I book my reservation,I ALWAYS make it a habit to call the place & CONFIRM with the hotel certain amenities & check-in/out times so that I don't have any unpleasant "surprises" once I arrive. I called before,& after to confirm the reservation. BOTH times I was informed that if for "some" reason Wi-Fi was down, that I would be provided an ethernet cable to use.

Check-in was at 3pm. We arrived at 4:15 & the room still wasn't ready. The wait wasn't bad (only 20 min),but you'd think if check-in is at 3,that the rooms would be ready by then.

It was 4 of us in the two-queen bed room, yet somehow they thought that the 4 of us would be fine sharing only two small thin towels?!? The room was filthy & there was sticky residue on some of the furniture.I was disgusted,but being that this was my first "pet-friendly" hotel, I assumed this was the standard norm.

Around midnight I turned on my laptop & couldn't find a signal. I went to the front desk to inquire about the issue. The girl there gave me a puzzled look when I inquired about the Wi-Fi in my room. "I don't know who told you that,but we have Wi-Fi in the lobby. "So I asked her about the ethernet cable; "Who told you that? You can go buy one if you like.", was her reply. I just sighed and asked her where I could find the pool table the next day. "What pool table?" At this point I asked her, "You're kidding, right? You don't have a pool table even though this "resort" claims to have one?" She said there's one in the bar - no kids allowed! I never knew that pool tables were outlawed for those 21 & under at a RESORT no less.

We also had to deal with ants which seems to be a common problem at this place. I had to throw out some food because of the ants finding their way inside a box of cookies and an aluminum foil wrapped sandwich. Not to mention them near our toiletries and toothbrushes.

The following day I called (third time) posing as a customer and inquiring about wi-fi. Again I was lied to. I called them out on it and told them that I was in fact a present guest in one of their rooms. They were embarrassed and told me that they were just reading what was posted and that they would transfer me to the front desk. The front desk first stated that they "did" have wi-fi, but when I told them that I was a present guest and that wasn't the case, they told me that the wi-fi was down because of a storm. This was BS since there wasn't a storm there for the previous week! They knocked the daily resort fee in half for my inconvenience. WOW, JUST WOW.....

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear ecardrp: Thank you for spending time giving us your feedback. Your comments are very important to us and taken seriously. I would like to discuss your stay with you further as it appears you left dissatisfied, which I completely understand, in regards to wifi, customer service issue, etc... Please contact the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations so I can make this right. Thank you for your review and please come visit us again soon for a second chance.

Been to Maingate Lakeside Resort? Share your experiences!