“Average at best...had a good time & LOTS OF LAUGHS but there's room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Lake Resort

Save Saved
You added Silver Lake Resort to your Saves list
Silver Lake Resort
7751 Black Lake Rd., Hwy. 192 and Sherbeth Rd., Kissimmee, FL 34747 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Ranked #16 of 157 hotels in Kissimmee
Belleville, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I recently stayed at the Silver Lake Resort with my 17 year old niece. I purchased one week from July 16th through July 23rd, 2010 as an RCI "Extra Vacation." Overall, my niece and I had a good time but having traveled a lot, it is my opinion that the resort could definitely use some improvement and provide a tad more customer service, especially in the most basic areas.

Briefly repeating what others have said, the resort is a large and older place that is gradually being updated. DEFINITELY a FAMILY RESORT, this is a "no frills place" with lots and lots and lots of children (hey, it IS DISNEY WORLD in July). Currently, there are nearly 500 units with plans to expand the resort to over 600 units (cannot imagine). My niece and I stayed in a "renovated" studio, which was quite small... you will see this from my photos. We stayed on the fourth floor of the 900 building, which is the last building near the rear entrance gate. Throughout the week, our key card never worked at the rear gate, so we abandoned that option as an entry point to the resort.

The resort location is great, as it is approximately 3 miles or so to Disney's Magic Kingdom. The resort is about 4.5 miles to Interstate 4, which gets one to Sea World, Universal Studios, The Orlando Premium Outlets, all Disney attractions and other Florida points, east-to-west. The resort is also located on Rte 192, Bronson Hwy, a major commercial throughway to Disney with many resorts, restaurants, stores, shops, hotels, etc on it. This is good and bad because everything one could want is within minutes from the resort. On the down side, traffic on Rte.192 can be horrific, especially between 10:45 pm and 11:20 pm when Disney World closes for the night. It's weird 'cause after 11:20 pm-11:30 pm or so, Rte. 192 is empty except for all the neon store lights & occasional lone pedestrian...doesn't look like the same road.

While pleasant enough, IMHO this resort seems to lack any character or true charm, definitely lacks even basic customer service. The reception area at this resort is a bit odd, as it resembles the lobby of a Motel 6. Check-in lines grew long and folks seemed to get impatient although our check-in went smoothly. The "main reception lobby" completely shuts down by 11:00 pm...so, if you need anything after 11:00 pm, you are out-of-luck, as my niece and I soon discovered!

The common areas like the Club House are okay but stark and a bit dated, just like the rest of the resort. The spa essentially gives manicures & neck massages. The two computers in the "Business Room" never seemed to work properly. The three swimming pools were clean enough and despite being a HUGE resort, my niece and I never had a hard time finding lounge chairs by any of the three pools. On one occasion, we were given pool towels that smelled really dank and moldy...probably were rolled up when damp. On another occasion, the towel room was out of towels. On a third occasion, we were only given small bath towels as pool towels...no biggie. On a fourth occasion, there was no one at the pool post to hand out towels. The little Tiki restaurant by the main pool was alright but accepted cash or credit cards only...nothing could be billed directly to the room, which was a bit inconvenient.

Our renovated unit was alright but still seemed oddly dated. The "partial kitchen" was nothing more than a 2 ft x 4 ft granite slab placed into an alcove, atop a mini fridge. We washed our coffee pot, dishes & cups in the bathroom sink (YUCK). There was zero room for storage (we stored snacks and boxed food items in dresser drawers, another YUCK). Cups, dishes and glasses were placed in a high cabinet above the little kitchen alcove, which neither my niece or I could reach. The nicest touch was having a coffee pot in the room for morning coffee on the screened-in porch, although coffee pots are pretty standard in most 3-Star hotels these days.

Although minor only, a few additional annoyances made our stay unpleasant at times. My niece and I laughed but several things never seemed to work properly and it seems that something in our room or at the resort "broke" every day. Forget trying to get "24 hour maintenance or housekeeping" late at night. Our toilet didn't flush properly one night, I fixed it. Vertical blinds were stuck and two fell off the track one night, I fixed them. Ceiling fan didn't operate properly, I climbed up and fiddled with it. My niece and I never figured out how to use the in-room safe, our table lamps flickered on and off occasionally, the screen door to our porch didn't lock. Nothing huge by no means. Funny most of the time but occasionally a bit annoying.

The main upset for me was on our second-to-last evening when I accidentally dropped coffee and coffee grinds onto our bed (trying to manage my way around our super-large room and that super-large kitchen). Everything seeped all the way through to the mattress cover and there was no way we could reach housekeeping to request a sheet change despite trying to do so for over 1 hour. My niece and I rinsed out and rolled up the top blanket, the sheets, the mattress cover, etc and we slept on a blanket that we fetched from my car...not good. While we received a TOWEL EXCHANGE on our 5th day at Silver Lakes, there is absolutely NO HOUSEKEEPING offered throughout a 7-day stay. Forget housekeeping (or anything) after hours.

My niece and I got our biggest laugh when we did laundry one day in the very old and out-dated, in need of repair "common" laundry room. The laundry room had a total of three washer/dryer combo machines, TWO operating (one broken) at all times. Several of my niece's panties "caught fire"--well they were burnt black--in an apparent dryer meltdown in our absence. Laugh we did...happy no one got hurt.

I could go on and on but others have stated it all...the good and the bad. While an okay place with a good location, nice enough grounds, pleasant people and hey, it IS SUNNY FLORIDA, this resort could use a bit of TLC and some attention to detail, especially regarding simple customer needs. I doubt I would ever return to Silver Lake Resorts if traveling again to Central Florida 'cause there are so many wonderful places to stay in the Central Florida area.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

767 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My husband and I found a great deal through Paradise Escapes last minute vacations and booked a hotel unit at Silver Lake Resort and found it to be very nice. The room had a king size bed, flat screen TV with HBO, a screen in balcony, small fridge, microwave, coffee maker and hair dryer. We were able to turn the air condition on and off for our comfort which was a plus. The resort also has security as you enter into it, which was nice. The room was clean, very modern, and quiet. The staff was extremely friendly and always willing to help out. The grounds of the resort was beautiful. We loved being very close to, Disney, restaurants and more. The hotel had several pools and activities for children if you have them!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

Our unit was a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom. It also included a sofa bed in the great room. The unit was very spacious, updated appliances, furniture and very clean. The screened in patio was nice for our two toddlers to get some air and be in the area. We were in the 900 building on the 1st floor. Wi-fi in the room will cost $24 for week (regardless if you stay 3 or 4 days). TVs in every bedroom and the great room. All appliances in the kitchen worked. The back security gate is a short drive to the Disney Parks (about 5 or 10 minutes). Large swimming pool in addition to other pools, activities onsite (which we didn't partake, but there were lots for children). There was an adjoining hotel unit outside our door but we couldn't hear the people next door. Business Center is only 2 computers that aren't very fast. Good for checking email and that's it. Location is close to Publix Grocery Store and SuperTarget.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Chesapeake, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

We stayed in a hotel unit at Silver Lake Resort and found it to be very nice. The room was clean, very modern, and quiet. The staff was extremely friendly and always willing to help out. The room had a king size bed, flat screen TV with HBO, a screen in balcony, small fridge, microwave, coffee maker and hair dryer. The A/C you can control yourself and worked very quickly. The resort also has security as you enter into it, which was nice.
We really found it handy that we were so close to everything, stores, disney, resturants and more. The nice Cabana bar by the main pool was wonderful. The drinks and service was excellent. We found our stay on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the best. Silver Lake was a 8.

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2010

Wonderful stay for all ages. Spacious rooms, beautiful grounds, comfortable beds, updated kitchen, laundry in room, 3 TV's, 3 pools, etc.......it was great. We loved coming home from a long day at disney to a spacious hot tub! My kids loved choosing which of the 3 pools to go in. Movie theater on site for families and a redbox to rent from on site......it was expensive though, so recommend going to the local Circle K to rent. Free internet net in the lounge. All starter bath products were Bath and Body works! The king master bed was super comfortable.
They did call about the time share, but just say NO.
Will stay here again. Very nice and spacious!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Franklin, TN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

My husband and I found a great deal through Wyndham RCI last minute vacations and booked a hotel style room (make a note that all information applies to this type of room) at Silver Lake Resort in June 2010. We stayed in the Silver Points building 900 which is one of the fairly recent remodeled buildings of the whole resort. The location was disappointing as we were quite a drive from a lot of the places we like to visit in the Orlando area, but it was a quiet area with pretty landscaping. Great location if you are taking the family to Disney and don't much care about the views. My in-laws stayed in building 1000 which was identical to ours.

I travel all over the US for work as a specialty contractor and my husband and I have traveled many places as well for leisure. I have stayed in a wide variety of hotels and motels in a landscape of locations across the country. From Washington to Florida to Oklahoma and New York. Also, please note that I have 13 years experience as a professional housekeeper. Attention to details... This review is not based on emotion or shaped around one bad experience. I will state the facts, the cons and pros for your information purposes.

Reasons this resort is not recommended are as follows:

1.)VERY limited parking ESPECIALLY close to any building entrances so expect to walk.
2.) Only 1 elevator per building which gets immediately tied up by housekeeping on Friday morning when you're supposed to check out (with a Friday to Friday stay, see number 10).
3.) Aside from the standard bathroom amenities such as soap and shampoo, don't expect many amenities or room features with a hotel style room. Think Red Roof Inn. There isn't even an iron or ironing board in the room. They only provided 2 people with 2 towels each for 5 days. We ran out of washcloths by Sunday morning.
4.) The wall dividing the hotel style room from a larger 2 bedroom condo is paper thin and you share the same main entrance off the long hallway. This caused problems when a loud family with young children roomed next store and kept weird hours. If it tells you anything, the doors aren't sealed properly and you can see a good inch under each others doors so no nose reduction there. The floors are tiled around the doors also so the sound echoed big time. It made for a few miserable nights and mornings. It's like you're all sharing one unit with your bedroom door closed for privacy.
5.) When you have an issue such as nosy neighbors, you have no one to help you. The main staff for the resort (probably all employed by the property management service) does not take care of issues for people who book through a company like RCI. RCI apparently either 'owns' the units or has time shares there and then leases the individual units to tenants such as us on behalf of the owners. A LOT of middle men. Also, some of the bad neighbors may actually be owners as well so there is nothing that can be done. Not at all like a hotel which is what we expected. Lesson learned. We didn't book a room as a time share, we booked a room just like you would make a reservation at any standard hotel chain through Wyndham. We'll be careful next time to stick with the major resort or hotel names next visit.
6.) The bathrooms are VERY small and have little counter space as well as a shower like in a trailer home. Imagine a bathroom from a Motel 6 with smaller counters and newer fixtures and there you go! For the ladies, don't plan to shave in the shower once you get down there. Nearly impossible in the tiny, narrow shower stall with no ledges. They still have the old standard shower curtain rods and not the arc style that are in most hotels now.
7.) The pools suck. The pool near the Silver Point area is only about 3 1/2 feet deep. Plenty of space to lay out and tan, but lame for taking a cool swim if you're older than 5 years. Also, the main pool area near the lobby is larger, but just as shallow. Not what we expected from a huge resort. It's a bit too kid friendly for adults. What happened to a shallow AND deep end? Or a standard pool and a kiddie pool? The shallow water got VERY hot in the FL summer days thus another reason lameness. A little deeper and it would have been refreshing.
8.) They have 2 entrance gates for the resort. Both secured. This is a perk for safety, but the gate next to our building was never guarded so we always had to enter on the other side of the resort from a different road or call the main gate to let us in at our entrance. It got to be a pain when you just wanted to zip in and out.
9.) Although not 100% certain, it seemed they turned the boilers or hot water heaters down at night. After 11 pm, the water was only tepid. During the day it was plenty hot. Understand the need to save to cut costs, but this sucked if you checked in late on Friday or got in late from a park/event and needed to shower up or wash your face before bed.
10.) Check out time is listed as 10 am (a little earlier than standard hotel chains) but housekeeping will show up as early as 8 am. Be ready to go. While the mass exodus occurred between 9-10 am with many guests leaving, housekeeping was in everyone's way trying to get into the rooms before we were even gone. Along with tying up the elevators, it seemed like they were super eager to boot you out. The cleaning staff seemed large enough and the next check in time isn't until 4 pm, so I'm not sure why the rush. They had plenty of time to clean and replace the shampoo. It was annoying to say the least.

Reasons this place was worth the $33 a night we paid:

1.) The linens were clean and bed was overall nice. As you see in many pictures, the decor is modern tropical in most units. This was the case with our room. The bathroom towels aren't up to par with say Hampton Inn, but they were at the least very clean.
2.) Although there was not kitchen in our small room, we did have a mini fridge and microwave, kitchen towels, hot pads and a few basic dishes.
3.) Laundry facility use is free for guests. We didn't have a washer/dryer unit in our room so we made use of the laundry room available near the game room.
4.) There is a bar and the pool stays open until 10 am. At least you can relax after 9 pm.
5.) We didn't see the first sign of an insect or critter anywhere inside. Just a cool gecko that hung around outside every night. Even for a classier hotel, you still see the odd bug buzzing around somewhere or laying dead in the corner of the bathroom floor. Sounds silly, but I notice a lot.
6.) We had a flat screen TV (just no HDTV) in our room on the wall.
7.) Though shallow as a puddle, the pools and pool area was very clean and well kept. The bar area was nice also.

Side notes:
The property managers will try to offer you a time share deal. They aren't pushy about it. We never called to express a desire to set up a meeting, so they never pushed the issue after the initial expression at check in. Our room did have a note warning against outside people pushing time shares and advised us to call the desk or security if we were bothered. This may be where some people state in the reviews about the pushy time share people. We had no problems with this.

All in all our stay wasn't terrible. But we won't be back. It wasn't the place for 2 adults celebrating their anniversary and if the nightly rate worked out to be higher than what we paid, we would have been upset and disappointed. For the money, it was ok. If you're looking to book a hotel style room at Silver Lake, be wary of paying more than $40 a night. You're better off at the Econolodge on Universal. At least they have larger rooms and a deep and larger swimming pool.

Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

My husband and I got a fantastic deal on a hotel room at Silver Lake (through RCI). The property is divided up into several buildings, some are timeshare condos that are bigger than the hotel units. We booked a hotel room due to the very low price for 7 nights. The unit was very clean and had a comfortable king bed, small sitting area with a table, flat screen TV, microwave, coffeemaker, and small fridge. The bathroom was sufficient in size and very clean. Our balcony was screened-in and was big enough to be considered our "living room" for the week. There were lots of drawers for clothing and a big closet with a safe inside to store valuables. We were very pleased with the room. It even had a few dishes, glassware and silverware. We were able to look at the timeshare unit next to us, and it was much bigger with a dining room and separate bedrooms/living room. For the 2 of us, the hotel unit was just fine.

The only big problem we had was there was no ice machine!! You had to walk all the way to the cabana to get ice. This was a pain since it was over 100 degrees and the ice practically melted on the way back to our room. Basically, we had to plan when to get ice (ex. on our way back from dinner when we had our car). We just had to remember to bring the ice bucket with us every time.

Smaller problems included housekeeping. They were very noisy in the morning and apparently didn't realize that people may still be sleeping at 8am while on vacation. There was also a small child in the unit above us who enjoying bouncing a ball for about an hour early on the weekend. Otherwise, the night time hours were quiet and peaceful.

Our balcony overlooked an awesome wetland and the frogs sounded really cool at night. Every morning there were a couple of cranes (big birds) who would show up and hunt for small fish in the wetland area. Basically, we had a great view. Also, around 10pm nightly, we could see Disney's fireworks from our balcony (in the 900 building). Every morning, there was a skywriter who would write in the sky with his plane (I think he was from the Holy Land Park b/c the phrases were basically all religious)

Disney is very close by and there is a shuttle available for 8.00 per person round trip. It was timely, quick, and very easy to use. I was impressed with this service and how much time it saved us in parking.

The cabana was fun. It served lots of great "pub grub" that was fattening, but eating greasy food on vacation is okay. You could work out the extra fat and calories in the great fitness center. There were 5 or 6 treadmills, 3 ellipticals, free weights, weight equipment, as well as bicycles. Overall, one of the best fitness centers in a hotel I've seen. (And all of the equipment worked with no "out of order" signs to be seen anywhere).

The pools were very well maintained and spotless. The one thing to be careful of are the "sheer" pool umbrellas. I ended up getting a bit more sun than desired due to the sheer nature of the umbrellas around the pool areas. Other than that - the 3 pools were awesome!

There is a movie theater at Silver Lake Resort, but it played mostly kids films when we were there, so we passed. There is also a cool game room with air hockey, ping pong, and video games. There are also daily activities by the pool daily, we hung out for some of them and had a blast. The activities staff are fun and very energetic!

There are tons of chain restaurants nearby, so food is easy to obtain. If you want some really cool food choices, you should go to Celebration. There are neat pubs and wine bars there that provide different options for those who don't have kids. Good shopping there as well.

We had no problems with the Wi-Fi, however it was a bit slow at times. The Activities Card available for purchase is worth buying (I think it was 25.00?). Especially if you plan to use Wi-fi in your room.

In a nutshell, Silver Lake Resort was clean, friendly, and fun. We'll return one day when we get another good deal!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!