I recently stayed at the Silver Lake Resort with my 17 year old niece. I purchased one week from July 16th through July 23rd, 2010 as an RCI "Extra Vacation." Overall, my niece and I had a good time but having traveled a lot, it is my opinion that the resort could definitely use some improvement and provide a tad more customer service, especially in the most basic areas.
Briefly repeating what others have said, the resort is a large and older place that is gradually being updated. DEFINITELY a FAMILY RESORT, this is a "no frills place" with lots and lots and lots of children (hey, it IS DISNEY WORLD in July). Currently, there are nearly 500 units with plans to expand the resort to over 600 units (cannot imagine). My niece and I stayed in a "renovated" studio, which was quite small... you will see this from my photos. We stayed on the fourth floor of the 900 building, which is the last building near the rear entrance gate. Throughout the week, our key card never worked at the rear gate, so we abandoned that option as an entry point to the resort.
The resort location is great, as it is approximately 3 miles or so to Disney's Magic Kingdom. The resort is about 4.5 miles to Interstate 4, which gets one to Sea World, Universal Studios, The Orlando Premium Outlets, all Disney attractions and other Florida points, east-to-west. The resort is also located on Rte 192, Bronson Hwy, a major commercial throughway to Disney with many resorts, restaurants, stores, shops, hotels, etc on it. This is good and bad because everything one could want is within minutes from the resort. On the down side, traffic on Rte.192 can be horrific, especially between 10:45 pm and 11:20 pm when Disney World closes for the night. It's weird 'cause after 11:20 pm-11:30 pm or so, Rte. 192 is empty except for all the neon store lights & occasional lone pedestrian...doesn't look like the same road.
While pleasant enough, IMHO this resort seems to lack any character or true charm, definitely lacks even basic customer service. The reception area at this resort is a bit odd, as it resembles the lobby of a Motel 6. Check-in lines grew long and folks seemed to get impatient although our check-in went smoothly. The "main reception lobby" completely shuts down by 11:00 pm...so, if you need anything after 11:00 pm, you are out-of-luck, as my niece and I soon discovered!
The common areas like the Club House are okay but stark and a bit dated, just like the rest of the resort. The spa essentially gives manicures & neck massages. The two computers in the "Business Room" never seemed to work properly. The three swimming pools were clean enough and despite being a HUGE resort, my niece and I never had a hard time finding lounge chairs by any of the three pools. On one occasion, we were given pool towels that smelled really dank and moldy...probably were rolled up when damp. On another occasion, the towel room was out of towels. On a third occasion, we were only given small bath towels as pool towels...no biggie. On a fourth occasion, there was no one at the pool post to hand out towels. The little Tiki restaurant by the main pool was alright but accepted cash or credit cards only...nothing could be billed directly to the room, which was a bit inconvenient.
Our renovated unit was alright but still seemed oddly dated. The "partial kitchen" was nothing more than a 2 ft x 4 ft granite slab placed into an alcove, atop a mini fridge. We washed our coffee pot, dishes & cups in the bathroom sink (YUCK). There was zero room for storage (we stored snacks and boxed food items in dresser drawers, another YUCK). Cups, dishes and glasses were placed in a high cabinet above the little kitchen alcove, which neither my niece or I could reach. The nicest touch was having a coffee pot in the room for morning coffee on the screened-in porch, although coffee pots are pretty standard in most 3-Star hotels these days.
Although minor only, a few additional annoyances made our stay unpleasant at times. My niece and I laughed but several things never seemed to work properly and it seems that something in our room or at the resort "broke" every day. Forget trying to get "24 hour maintenance or housekeeping" late at night. Our toilet didn't flush properly one night, I fixed it. Vertical blinds were stuck and two fell off the track one night, I fixed them. Ceiling fan didn't operate properly, I climbed up and fiddled with it. My niece and I never figured out how to use the in-room safe, our table lamps flickered on and off occasionally, the screen door to our porch didn't lock. Nothing huge by no means. Funny most of the time but occasionally a bit annoying.
The main upset for me was on our second-to-last evening when I accidentally dropped coffee and coffee grinds onto our bed (trying to manage my way around our super-large room and that super-large kitchen). Everything seeped all the way through to the mattress cover and there was no way we could reach housekeeping to request a sheet change despite trying to do so for over 1 hour. My niece and I rinsed out and rolled up the top blanket, the sheets, the mattress cover, etc and we slept on a blanket that we fetched from my car...not good. While we received a TOWEL EXCHANGE on our 5th day at Silver Lakes, there is absolutely NO HOUSEKEEPING offered throughout a 7-day stay. Forget housekeeping (or anything) after hours.
My niece and I got our biggest laugh when we did laundry one day in the very old and out-dated, in need of repair "common" laundry room. The laundry room had a total of three washer/dryer combo machines, TWO operating (one broken) at all times. Several of my niece's panties "caught fire"--well they were burnt black--in an apparent dryer meltdown in our absence. Laugh we did...happy no one got hurt.
I could go on and on but others have stated it all...the good and the bad. While an okay place with a good location, nice enough grounds, pleasant people and hey, it IS SUNNY FLORIDA, this resort could use a bit of TLC and some attention to detail, especially regarding simple customer needs. I doubt I would ever return to Silver Lake Resorts if traveling again to Central Florida 'cause there are so many wonderful places to stay in the Central Florida area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Silver Lake Resort, Orlando’s Best-Kept Secret. Our Luxurious Resort is located 2 miles from Walt Disney Animal Kingdom Theme Park; seven miles from Walt Disney World Resort and just minutes away from other Central Florida’s premier attractions. Whether you love your easy access for travel to the local attractions or a nice quiet vacation stay, either way we can accommodate the vacation you desire.*Resort Amenities:23,000 sq. ft. clubhouse.9,000 sq. ft. heated swimming pool.Zero entry pool between 1000 building and 900 building.Satellite pool adjacent to main pool.Newly renovated cabana serving food and drinks.Large outdoor whirlpool spa, children’s pool, outdoor BBQ grills.Gift and convenience shop.Golf simulator, arcade room, enclosed children’s play area.Movie theatre, video rentals.Fitness center with sauna, tennis court/basketball court.Business center .Shuffleboard court.*All Villas Feature:Air conditioning/heat.Television with cable hook-up including HBO.Ceiling fans.DVD players.Fully equipped kitchens.Washer/dryers.Screen patios.Jacuzzi and separate shower area.Built-in hair dryer.King, queen, full and/or sofa sleeper.*Proposed Future Amenities:Full deli and convenience store.Sand volleyball court.Two additional tennis courts.50,000 gallon outdoor swimming pool.*Development Plan:When fully developed, Silver Lake Resort will consist of 632 designer-furnished vacation villas. One, two and three bedroom villas will be offered with square footage ranging between 735 and 1907. *Now Completed:292 designer furnished villas now completed32 one bedroom villas84 two bedroom villas104 two bedrooms split villas72 three bedroom villasAwards:RCI Gold Crown Resort since 1993.Charter member of RCI Points Resorts.Member of American Resort Development Association (ARDA).Member of the Kissimmee/Osceola Chamber of Commerce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Silver Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silver Lake Hotel Kissimmee
- Silver Lake Resort Florida
- Silver Lake Resort Orlando
- Silver Lake Kissimmee
- Silver Lake Resort Kissimmee Fl