“Loved the pools and the location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Silver Lake Resort

You added Silver Lake Resort to your Saves list
Silver Lake Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   7751 Black Lake Rd., Hwy. 192 and Sherbeth Rd., Kissimmee, FL 34747 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Ranked #16 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Detroit, MI
“Loved the pools and the location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

My family stayed at this resort in February and I was very pleased overall! We got a super rate through the Armed Forces Vacation Club and I thought it was an awesome value. The only hiccup we had was check in. We arrived early about 1 pm and were told our room was being cleaned and would be ready soon. Well soon ended up meaning 4:30 or so. But the condo itself was very nice! We had a two bedroom remodeled one overlooking a pond. Granite counters, tile floors throughout, and a good assortment of kitchen essentials. The condo had a stackable washer dryer which was perfect as I have 2 little kids who are very messy!

The main pool area was beautiful! Tons of lounge chairs and the pools were heated which we definitely needed in February! We played bingo by the pool one day my 4 year old enjoyed himself a lot. There was also a snack stand bar which had good but pricey drinks.

Location was excellent. The resort is right behind Animal Kingdom off of a major road so there were plenty of restaurants and groceries nearby. It took us about 15 minutes to the magic kingdom parking lot and twenty five minutes to Sea World.

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked through RCI for a weeks stay for 4 people. The rooms were supposed to be brand new but they were merely "renovated". When I questioned getting a new room the lady at the front desk immediately gave me attitude like I was doing something wrong and was 100% unhelpful. When I got to the room it only had one full bed and a crappy, low end pull-out couch. The furniture was completely worn like it was purchased at a thrift store. The tv was smaller than the microwave, hung from the ceiling 20 feet away and such poor resolution that I could barely see it. I turned the faucet on and got squirted with water because it was broken and they had to send someone up to put in a whole new one. After traveling 13 hours the last thing I wanted to do was watch a guy sit in our room for an hour fixing the sink. They refused to let us switch rooms without paying a $32 fee for housekeeping because we had already disturbed the room. A few hours later I find a cockroach on the wall. I call again and all they tell me is they'll send someone to check there aren't more and refused still to give me a new room. Then as I'm getting ready to go to bed I notice I can hear every word from the room next to us because the walls were so thin. By far the most disgusting place I've ever stayed at with the most disgusting service I've ever experienced. DO NOT STAY HERE.

• Stayed March 2013
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed in block 17 in a 2bedroom unit in February. It had not been updated but was spotlessly clean with plenty of facilities and we had no complaints at all. We had previously asked the resort for a unit near the pool and this was granted. The reception staff were very helpful. We didn't have a car but walking to nearby restaurants was no problem at all. We had a choice of at least 15 and would highly recommend the red lobster. We got a taxi to magic kingdom and animal kingdom as we wanted to go earlier than the shuttle and for 3 people was cheaper. We came back on the local bus - you had to change at celebration drive but it was only 2 dollars each. The bus drivers and fellow passengers were so helpful. I have stayed in lots of timeshare units in this area and would certainly return. A lot of reviews complain about wifi. I had a problem on the last couple of days in reception but they gave me a password for free so that I could use it in the room and it was fine.

Room Tip: If you haven't a car blocks 17 and 18 are good for reception and the main pool.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

This tops my list of where NOT to vacation next time.
The good- very close to Animal Kingdom, nice large pools & jacuzzi, lots of on-site amenities.
The bad- half the amenities were closed &/or broken. Golf simulator had been out of service for months with no plan to repair or replace it, according to staff. The wi-fi is only accessible from the lobby. The 'office' with computers & printers had no working printer- just paper signs taped to them saying "out of order"; the front desk gave me an email address to send my paperwork to, and said they would print it for me - they gave me the wrong email address, necessitating multiple trips to the lobby before getting the correct address (they wrote the email address down for me so it was not a case of me mis-understanding). The only food available is processed junk food- nothing in the way of real, whole foods.
Most of the nearby restaurants advertise delivery, take-out, and hours of operation- though 6 different restaurants we tried refused delivery, take-out, and had shorter hours than advertised. The nearest 5-6 'grocery stores' had NO meat (unless you count beef jerky), no fresh vegetables, and were not much better than a 7-11 store.
When I went to the desk for purchasing Theme park tickets and asked about some of the options, the desk worker waived his hand in the direction of the brochure wall & said 'it's all over there', then left the desk to go talk with a co-worker, leaving me standing there.
When out by the one positive amenity (the pool) , one is subjected to blaring music so loud it is difficult to carry on a conversation- not to mention the fact that one is subjected to someone else's choice in music. The music never stopped, but blared incessantly whenever the pool was open. The views from our balcony were of a parking lot and an abandoned construction site, overgrown with weeds.
The 2 bedroom unit we were in was a nice size, pretty clean, slept 6 (with a hide-a-bed) but only had 4 serving pieces of dishes and cutlery, so we had to eat in shifts, washing dishes in the middle of every 'meal'.
Furniture and linens were ok, though need more maintenance. The window treatments were noticeably sagging in the middle of each window.
They advertised that linens would be changed once in mid-week. This consisted of them picking up our used towels, and leaving a pile of replacement towels on the dining table. Couldn't even be bothered to separate them and put some in each bathroom, much less actually hang them up.
I realize this is not a 4-star hotel, but I've had better experiences at small motels in most of the 3rd world countries I've visited!
I heartily recommend finding some other accommodations unless all you want to do is lay by the pool , listening to their music, while eating Cheetos, beef jerkey, and beer.

• Stayed February 2013
Wayne, New Jersey, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for a week back in October. Overall the resort is pretty nice. Room was updated and had everything you would need for a family stay in Florida. Only issue we encountered during our stay was access to the internet in the room. They do charge you for this service but we were unable to stay connected to the internet. After contacting the front desk serveral times we were able to get a refund on a service they could not provide very well. We also needed a new iron and it took them about 45 minutes to get us one but they did show up with a new one. I've stayed in serveral other resorts over my years of traveling and this is one of the first places I've seen where you had to sign out your pool towels. They then issue you a card for the pool towels and if you don't return your towels you'll be charged for the missing towels. Almost all places I've stayed has always had towels right next to the pool. Just find this to be a pain to have to go to the acitivies center to get towels then walk all the way back to the pool. Overall the property was fine and would probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Florence, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We travel all the time, all over the world and have visited this area dozens of times but we were extremely disappointed with the tiny size of our D unit. This was supposed to be a one bedroom apartment for 4 people and this was smaller then most efficiencies. You could barely walk by the dresser, or anywhere in the apartment. I traded a week from normally beautiful units. Very disappointed with that! That was a robbery. I have to say that the staff was very friendly and there is a wonderfully sized pool but the grounds need a tremendous upgrading. Nothing to look at to impress, like a drab apartment complex. Security was great, pool bar was yummy food, good drinks and friendly too. Just make sure you don't get a one bedroom because it was terrible.

Room Tip: Do NOT get a one bedroom 4/4, they are horribly tiny.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rome, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We recently spent two weeks at Silver Lake Resort and thoroughly enjoyed our trip. The resort was very clean and well maintained. We would definitely go there again. We were in two different 1 bedroom units and each had a washer and dryer.

Room Tip: The 900 building has a heated pool right next to it. Very convenient Our unit was on the end and o...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!