“Not as Special as It Advertises” 3 of 5 stars

Hot Deals Save up to 40%
Ranked #22 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brooklyn, New York
“Not as Special as It Advertises”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2011

If you lower your expectations, you won't be disappointed. This is a perfectly fine converted condo resort turned hotel. It's location to the parks and attractions is its best asset. Rent a car to get around quickly and easily. The hotel seems to have great amenities and assets, but you pay for every extra. Absolutely everything. If you've traveled frequently, you know there are better deals out there. Also, the WiFi is sketchy and that matters a great deal if you need Internet. The staff is surprisingly not as accommodating to WiFi needs as you would imagine, and they took my total lack of internet connection as an inconvenience to them, not me. The rooms are spacious and clean, and people around the pool area seemed to have a good time. There are better values out there. If you stay, buy a few items in a local grocery store or restaurant and have some meals in the room or on the terrace to save some money.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

We just returned from our short vacation in Fla. This was an exchange done with Interval and we were very pleased with our 1 bedroom unit. The place is beautiful!
Any complaints would be there is not daily service to change towels or tidy up. We had 4 towels to start with on Sunday and we each used our towel twice before switching to a fresh one. Not what I was used to, but it worked for us. Also the comments about the noise from units next door is right on. Our bedroom wall was our neighbors kitchen I think because at 7am I would here the breakfast being prepared or a conversation like it was next to me. Overall we had a great time.

Altamonte Springs, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

My boyfriend took me here for our Valentines day get away, and it was AMAZING!!! We had gotten the romance package which was definitely worth every penny! We had no problem finding our room, or parking because there was plenty. The biggest confusion was the extra door in our room we were concerned that anyone staying in that room could just walk right into our room, but they couldn't. It was basically quiet besides the karaoke we could here coming from the pool bar, which we enjoyed from our back porch. The room was overall BEAUTIFUL! Everything was clean and comfortable. We will definitely be going returning.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We found Star Island to be very well maintained - recently updated. Grounds are pretty - fountains, birds nesting on edge of lake, gated. Our room was exactly as the website pictures looked! We were in the B side of the two bedroom lockoff unit - very comfortable bed. There are many activities on site including a beautiful pool area, tennis courts, spa, gym room, water activities, evening activities many including food. (We did not take advantage of these but noted them.) In warmer weather one could spend several days there and not have to leave the resort. Resort is only a few minutes from Disney attractions (could hear and partially see fireworks at night), International Drive (lots of action there including Universal), many places to eat and a grocery near by (Publix). We did have two issues while we were there. One was the slow speed of the internet - especially depending on the time of the day. The other was parking. We were in building 18. As we discovered, when buildings 18 and 19 were built, enough parking spaces were not built. So if you came in as late as 8:00 pm or later parking near your building was a challenge.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I havent had much experiances statying in resorts. I have stayed in hotels that are smaller. But, i was given the room as a present from my mom's boyfriends (he had a timeshare with the company). We were supposed to be in one of the big suites. But they put us in the smaller one with the two double beds and seperate living room and kitchen combined. We were completly fine with it. We spent more time at the pool which was great then we did in the room. Having the two beds made me feel safer that my four year old was in the same room with me.
I did have a problem with hearing people in the other rooms. But i never noticed, my boyfriend only did. For the three of us it was a great expericance. We are planning to go back this april/may. Hopefully in bigger suites this time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
South Holland, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

I am on online student and I needed access to the internet and the wi-fi connection is poor at best. There was no using cell phones whatsoever. Not sure what it is about the building but the connection to the outside was nonexistent with the exception of the television. The rooms were nice and the beds were very soft-good for me but my husband didn't like the bed so soft. There is no laundry in suite. If you want to get away from it all, it is a nice place to be.

Olympia, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2011

Me: Current Wyndham Owner

Pros: Grounds are nice, pool/pool bar was great, great activities, free parking, close to grocery shopping, felt secure, nice fitness center, friendly staff. When I requested items, someone came over from maintenance/house keeping usually within ten minutes.

Improvements: I stayed in a one bedroom A-unit and was very disappointed. Fortunately, I only stayed in the unit at night as I did stuff outside during my seven-day stay. The room smelled moldy (purchased two cans of Frebreeze to help combat the smell) and the walls/door separating my neighbor's room (the B unit) was so thin I thought they were in my room. I didn't bother asking for a new room as it was New Years week and the resort was somewhat sold out. The TV was an older tube TV that actually broke on my last day. I could also hear "everything" going on in the other bedroom adjacent to my bedroom. Other people I met at the resort had the same feeling about the A & B solo units but were too busy (like me) enjoying the sunny weather by the pool. I did hear good things about the larger units so perhaps they're in the process of renovating?
The mornings were very loud as once it hit 7AM, you could hear the house keeping staff yelling/talking amongst each other in Spanish through the hallways along with leaf blowers, neighbors cars in the parking lot, etc. Wireless Internet was also very slow at times.

There were 30 different buildings in this resort so perhaps not every building is as loud/bad as the one I stayed in? I did hear good things about some of the water front larger units but for the most part, stay away from the single units and check yourself into one of the other hotels along the street. Most people by the pool shared the same feelings as I did when you compare this resort to others in terms of privacy/amenities in the room. The pool bar was great and the DJ by the pool played good tunes!

• Stayed January 2011

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!