“Horrible Experience - long but worth reading” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 160 Hotels in Kissimmee
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Horrible Experience - long but worth reading”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2005

My father passed away last Easter 4-11-04 so for the 4th of July I deceided to take the family on a little "getaway" to ease the pain. We stayed at Star Island in Kissimmee, Fl and from the moment we arrived, there was nothing but trouble. Our room was supposed to be ready at 1:00pm but the clerk at the front desk said "unfortunately the people in your room didnt check out yet." He told us we could leave our luggage at the front desk and when the room is available, they will put the luggage in the room for us. Being a New Yorker, I asked how safe it was to leave the luggage in the lobby. The clerk replied "we have security camaras as well as we do not allow people near the luggage." Sounded good at the time. We left the luggage and went to Disney World for a little bit. When we arrived back at the hotel, the luggage was still in the lobby with all the zippers openned. I looked in my bag first to notice someone went through everything and stole some clothes as well as other items from my bag. My mother and sister then checked their bags and sure enough, items were stolen from their bags as well. I immediately blew up at the manager (the clerk that originally helped us left for the day) and told him I needed a police officer immediately. He told me it is not smart to have the police involved, the hotel will handle everything. Again, being from NY, I called B.S. and said get the police here now. He gave me an attitude and the phone number and told me to call myself if I wanted them there. We filled out a police report and called it an evening. The next morning I went down to the lobby to find the original clerk but was told he was off and will be in tomorrow. Tomorrow never came because our entire 7 day stay he did not show up once. I as well as the police officer that helped us out think it was the clerk that went through the bags. The stay became worse each day we were there but I will not go into that because this should be enough to make you not want to stay there. Anyway, it is now 5-13-05 and we still havent recieved a dollar from Star Islands Insurance company. As a matter of fact, I call twice a week only to realize my phone calls are still being ignored by the Insurance company as well as Star Island. I also found out Star Island is only insured for a maximum of $1000.00 per theft and being my family and I filled out 1 police report for all our items stolen, it counts for one incident so we only get the max $1000.00 payment if and when they send it to us. We had between $2000.00 and $3000.00 stolen. The insurance company Star Island uses is Wausau Insurance Companies. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESORT TO ANYONE!!!! YOU WILL GET 2ND CLASS TREATMENT AT BEST!!!!!

• Stayed July 2004

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
decatur IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2005

We booked through A1 Travel in Cassleberry FL 3 months prior to our arrival. Just me and and my wife of 34 years. We have a place in Pensacola but we wanted to go to Universal Studios.. Our service at the front desk was outstanding the whole time. The 1 bedroom deluxe suite was spotless and very comfortable. The pools were great with good poolside entertainment..a DJ and one man band..He was good. We took the presentation tour and it was not pushy or anything. However, they neglected to provide us with 2 free passes to Universal. Now I don't think that was on purpose, since that was a part of the contract I had with A1. I just purchased 2 tickets to Universal and we went and had a great time. I had to fax some papers to AI, not part of the this package, so the front desk did so at no cost to me. I called A1 and told my representative that I had faxed the papter. She asked me how the stay was going and I told her great except no tickets to attractions. She said give me 5 minutes. In less than 3 minutes the "Welcome Center" at StarIsland called and were dismayed we had not gotten the tickets. They offered us any attaction or cash for my out of pocket ticket purchase ($126.00). I took the cash and it was in my hand within 20 minutes. We went to the pizza party on Wed evening..pizza was not so hot but the entertainment was super..I asked the front desk to print out our boarding passes for the return flight..they dis so at no cost...The whole experience was delightful!!!

• Stayed April 2005
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2005

I would have to agree with that this is not a five star.However some of the reviews I read before going to star Island really had me nerveous about staying there and we were pleasantly surprised. I was looking for things to be bad. We had 4 adults and one 18 mo. old in our group and we satyed in a 3 bedroom 2 bath for a 7 night stay Mar.19th-26th.(Bld.19 4th floor)Plenty of room. There was an elevator.The decor is outdated,early 80's style.Clean though.One thing that would have been nice would be a mid-week cleaning service.There is a trash shute in the hall that you have to bring your trash too. The washer/dryer (with detergent )was nice.The staff was helpful in our opinion.We had a broken A/C and it was looked at right away and fixed the next a.m.We asked for a DVD player and they brought one to us no problem.There is a charge for wireless in the lobby.The fitness center was nice but the Spa was just Ok. I have been to a few 5 star spas and this wasn't.The pools were both nice,very warm and the Jacuzzi was hot.It was crowded around the pool but being spring break what wasn't.The little area with the water spouts coming up from the ground was a great thing to keep my 18mo.old busy.The play ground and Jumpy house were nice too.We did have to go for the sales presentation as we were on an owner referal special rate($995.00) for the week.( A lot cheaper than most 3bd.condo's in Kissimme in March)They were not too pushy with us.I would say that overall Star Island was a good experience.

• Stayed March 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2005

Star Island Resort canceled our confirmed reservation less than one week from our arrivial date without providing alt. accomadations. Ruined my twin 5 year olds trip to Disney World since all other hotels in the area were booked solid. When we finally got in touch with the manager, she never returned our calls, She acted like there was nothing she could do. Guess they don't need customers.

Seems like the time share owners have first pick even over confirmed reservatons.

This is the worst Customer Service I have ever seen. I wouldn't make a reservation with them as it serves no purpose, you are not confirming anything.

Stayed March 2005
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2005

Our stay at Star Island resort was very nice. I do agree though, that they're claiming to be a five star resort is a tad off base. Perhaps it's not for those folks who can afford the higher end suites, but for us, it was a nice stay, but not five star.

First off, the staff was wonderful to our every need. We had a small problem with the toilet on about our third day and they came and fixed it immediately as well as getting us fresh towels and making sure we had them by another phone call, which I thought was nice.

There was just the two of us, so we didn't need a spacious suite...those of you with four or more in your familys, do NOT stay in one of the mini-suites. Yes, they are tiny, but were fine for the two of us.

My only serious conplaints were with the bathroom. No shelf space to put anything. The tiny glass shelf under our mirror was barely hanging on by a thread, so we didn't dare put anything heavier than a toothbrush on it. And the controls for the whirlpool tub are clear across the room and I thought the tub was broken until I found them.

The pools were great, especially since we had some real warm days in mid-February. We sat down by the pool and enjoyed it very much. I do wish it were a tad larger to accommodate all the people and the deck chairs. It go quite crowded and hard to move a chair around when it go busy.

Other than that, I thought it was a wonderful place. Clean and no bugs. We were on the fourth floor of building #22. Parking was a pain on one or two nights, but for the most part we were able to park near the building and the elevator took us right to our room. No problem. The grounds were nicely done and were beautiful to walk through.

I didn't take advantage of the spa or the exercise room...far too busy, but they looked nice. The staff was always willing to answer any questions we had.

AND...we were NEVER bothered about going to any meetings to "buy" one of the condos are told to go to another desk when checking in. Not one person or phone regarding that. Probably because we were in one of the cheapest suites and they didn't feel we were worthy...who knows!

• Stayed February 2005

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!