“Bad Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Bad Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

The ac unit was low on freon & not working I slept in my car after taking 6 showers. I intially called the office and they sent a security guard to fix the issue. Upon checkout I was told that the maint unit was checking the unit and they wanted to confirm that it wasn't our fault. Well it wasn't our fault and although We paid 170 a nite they credit us 50 bucks. Awful customer care

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We exchanged into Star Island, and knew it might have some issues, as we came here about 4 years ago and felt that a lot of work would be needed to bring the place up to a 5star resort, however from the reviews it looked at though things had changed, and I would agree.

For two of us we had a four bed unit with three bathrooms, two kitchens and sitting room. My dislikes are, very small balcony for a very large unit, and if you had the smaller lock off you would not have a balcony. Towels were worn out and could do with being replaced. Some of the blinds had been pulled off when we checked in, but maintainance came as soon as we called, so no great issue.

Likes, well a lot of money has been spent and the units updated, so apart from above the unit was great! Pool area lovely and would be great for children, lots to do, lovely lake area, but watch out for the very large gator I saw!

Room Tip: If you exchange into this resort, I would suggest you make sure you get the A unit included so you h...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wautoma, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed here in September 2012. Had a 1 bedroom suite with a whirlpool tub. Found a deal on travel zoo where it was only 99$ a night. Staff was friendly and accomodating. Only complaint is that the decor is outdated and from some of the buldings it is very difficult to find the pool.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aiken, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We recently returned from an Interval International exchange at the Star Island Resort in Kissimmee. This was a gold resort according to II but it was not in my opinion. Perhaps we were spoiled by staying in a Marriott the week before.
First, let me be clear that the people that I dealt with were exceptionally nice and did their best to accommodate us. We found out before hand that the resort did not have elevators in all units. Since I have several medical conditions, I contacted the resort a few months earlier and they moved our unit to one that did have an elevator. I really appreciated that from them. Secondly, I got sick during our first week and had to be in close proximity to a bathroom. I called them and requested and early check-in for that reason. They told me come in after 10am and see what they had available. There was nothing at 10, but they checked me in without giving me the keys to the unit. They would call my cell when the unit was ready. They called around 1:30 and we checked in after going to the clinic and having lunch. The normal check-in is 4 so this was another accommodation on their part.
When we got to our room, they were finishing cleaning up, having had the rugs shampooed. We went in through the lock-off side while they finished up. The main unit was nothing spectacular. It had a sufficiently stocked kitchen, a dining area with a table and 6 chairs. A sectional sleeper sofa with a flat screen tv mounted to the wall. It opened out to a deck with a small table and 4 chairs and an ash tray for any one who smoked. The units are non-smoking but it is allowed on the deck.
The unit was called a three bedroom unit. The lock-off had a bedroom with two full-size beds. The closet was very small. There was a bathroom between the two bedrooms with a jacuzzi tub which is tough to take a shower in. The "third" bedoom was a room with a couch and a small table with 2 uncomfortable chairs. It had a refrigerator, two burner stove and a very tiny closet. I would not classify this as a bedroom as there was no bed other than the sleeper sofa. It was more of a den in my opinion. There was a third bathroom with a very small shower in it. Not a lot of room to maneuver in there.
The couch had to be wiped off as there were crumbs on it. The layout of the entire unit seemed to have a lot of wasted space and was very odd shaped. Alot of angles in the layout. The worst part was the acoustics. We were on the third floor and you could here the sounds of the flip-flops as people walked in the parking lot below. You could also hear their normal conversations. Too make matters worse, they had a DJ and karaoke singing every night until at least 11:00 pm. You could not help but to listen to the "music" that was playing.
There was no washer/dryer in the unit but there was a communal one on the ground floor, only good thing about that was there was no charge. The grounds were not really maintained all that well and I did not find it very appealing. The resort seemed to be "worn out". The wi-fi was fine for a few days. It was not the quickest but it worked enough for me. However when the people were at the resort for whatever reason and the usage was high, the wi-fi was barely functional.
Now, you can take this review however you like, but outside of providing a roof over our heads, we would not return. If you are used to Marriotts and Sheratons you will be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We usually love to stay at this resort because of the size of the units. I have read most of the reviews about the resort being old and in need of an upgrade and I know that this was being addressed by the property as evidenced by the upgades that we saw during out last stay. However, we had two different units during this last stay and I must say that I witnessed the good, the bad, and the ugly this time around. Our 1st unit was a beautifully upgraded two bedroom unit. It had all of the granite, flat screens, and other amenities that the new resorts boast. However, during mid week, we had to move to a different unit. This was fine as I was aware of this at the time that I made the reservations. The 2nd unit was an older unit. The shower in the master bedroom had several cracks and "putty" where maintenance had attempted to repair the cracks. The glass around the hot tub had black markings all along the rim of the glass. The coffee maker did not work. I didn't complain to management about this because on the morning of the unit change, I unexpectedly requested a handicapped accessible unit. I'm hoping that we were placed in this unit in an all out effort to accomodate this last minute request. I would hope that the property would not normally place someone in a unit so obvioulsy in need of repair. Other than that, the kids had a fabulous time and didn't notice a thing.

Room Tip: Call about a week ahead to request a specific unit.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom unit with small kitchen that was sufficient for our needs. Rest of family was in a 3 bedroom that was quite spacious. Our units were in buildings with elevators and were on the 6th floor. Some 3 story buildings do not have elevators, so check on this if it matters to you. Excellent pool area with tiki bar. Fun atmosphere there. Lots of activities to choose from but we spent a lot of our time at Disney World, which was a 15 minute drive away.

Room Tip: Rooms near the elevators might be a bit noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed for two weeks. Had a two bedroom, which is two suites put together. Very clean. We stayed further from the pool area so not as much noise from the pool music. The pool was nice the one day we went to it and the staff was very friendly.

The suites are upgraded to today's standards and didn't have any maintenance issues.

The grounds are clean and seem well cared for. Each week there is a towel exchange and you get quite a lot of towels to last the week.

Overall very happy with this resort, though we spent most of our time off site.

JKHL Family

Room Tip: Further from the music near the main reception if you want more quiet time.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!