Service: Excellent! Most of the staff was helpful and friendly. I need some extra supplies, and they delivered. Since this is a timeshare resort and NOT a hotel, room service is not part of the deal (as I expected, no problem). You can ask for a room service that includes cleaning, and new towels for about $9. You can also purchae theme park tickets, and book dinner shows in the lobby.
Staff: Good. Since this is a timeshare resort, they did try to offer a "free breakfast" and some gifts for attending their presentation. I understand that sales involves over-coming customer objections, but no means no, and I would have preferred their "Hospitality Desk" would just accept that at without questioning me farther. This lowered my rating of the staff from Very Good to just Good.
Unit: Very Good. I had the "A" side, or something called the "lockoff". It more than double the size of an average hotel room. It has 2 separate rooms that share 1 bathroom. It has a separate bedroom with 2 double size beds and it's own flat screen TV (no VCR). It also has a family room with a partial kitchen (small fridge, sink, microwave, sick, dishes & glasses, coffee maker). There is a small table with 2 chairs, and a queen size sleeper sofa. A patio would have made it better. However, it's comfortable for a 2-adults, or 2 adults and 1-2 kids. Overall, it truly beats the average hotel room!
Grounds: Very Good. The entrance tells you this place is above average: it's a long driveway lined with tall palm trees, along a small lake, over a stone lion bridge, and a large roman type fountain greets you at the lobby entrance. The resort is very large! All over, the grounds are well maintained landscaping with lots of full sized trees, lots of shady areas. There is a large lake on one side, with docks, and rental boats. Oddly, none of the units have much of a view of this lake. Although there is a space setup for weddings by the lake.
Pool Area: Very Good. located in the center of the resort ground are 2 large pools, with lots of nice trees surrounding it, and a big rock waterfall in the center. There is a poolside bar, and live entertainment on most afternoons. There is only 1 small hot tub for the whole resort, which was often crowded. Another hot tub or two around the ground would be extra nice! The pool does offer towel exchange... just sign out for the towels, sign-in to return when done, and there will be no charge. One pool has a shallow area for the children, and they do enjoy it! It would be better if it was not connected to the larger & deeper area.
Other features: the resort also has a large Spa, but since I did not use it, I can say no more. The Clubhouse overlooks the pool area, has a large bar with overpriced drinks and simple foods. The clubhouse is the center for multiple kareoke contests, which seem to go one daily and into the evening. There is also a game room, and convience store.
Gym/Workout room: Excellent! I must mention this because they have the largest, best equipped gym of any hotel/resort I have even visited! There is a huge selection of weight machines, treadmills, cycles, and Stairmasters. Plus several flat screen TV's, and workout music pumping throughout. If someone prefers an outside workout, one lap around the resort, including the driveway, is about 1 mile. There is also a driving range on-site with a bucket of free balls 8:30 every morning, by the lake.
Location: Average, because there are several hotels in the area, all along highway 192. However this one is setback away from the congestion. The Disney World entrance is about a 10 minute drive away. Universal is about 20-25 minutes away. Old Town is only about 5 minutes away. Factory Outlet shops are about 5 minutes away. Along highway 192 are seemingly endless choices for eating and shopping. TGI-Fridays is located at the resort's driveway entrance, and delivers to your room (Friday's is also the best landmark in finding the resort). For in room eating: Publix is only about 3 minutes away. Cici's Pizza is across highway 192.
Overall: very family friendly resort, and a very good choice for a Disney World area week provided you get a price you are happy with.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Star Island resort is a Mediterranean styled resort and spa located just minutes from all of central Florida's major attractions, while still offering the quiet relaxation of luxurious accommodations with a multitude of amenities and activities. Relax in one of our spacious suites or villas with all of the comforts of home. All units include a full kitchen or mini kitchen and our largest unit can sleep up to 8 of your family and friends. Amenities include water sports, tennis, driving range, basketball, supervised family and children's activities and so much more. Visit Star Island for your unique vacation experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelTravel.com, Travelocity, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Star Island Resort and Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Star Island Resort And Club Hotel Kissimmee
- Star Island Hotel
- Island Star
- Star Island Resort Orlando
- Fairfield Star Island Resort