“Just above average” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Just above average”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Star Island five years ago on our honeymoon. We were hoping to see some renovations and/or new activities. Needless to say, not much has changed in the past five years. We requested one of their newest units, which we received; however, our room still looked outdated with pink walls, carpet, and furnishings. We booked a three bedroom/ 3 bathroom deluxe villa. We were expecting a pretty large unit, but discovered a series of lock-offs that were extremely small. The villa included a king bed with its own bathroom, an adjoining room with 2 double bed and a separate bathroom, and a lock-off that had an efficiency room with a pullout small sleeper sofa, and another small queen bedroom that shared a bathroom. This floor plan was not viewable on their website, so we did not realize how small the set up was going to be. Luckily, we had our own washer/dryer because we had the entire villa, sides A and B. If you only have one side, you must share with the other unit.

Fortunately, all the rooms were clean. We did have to have housekeeping vacuum all the floors when we first arrived, but they were quick to correct the problem. There were a few hairs in the shower, but I just made my husband get rid of them. Our room smelled like smoke, so I am assuming the last guests did not heed the nonsmoking room policy. The linens and towels were worn, but at least they were clean. The kitchen was nicely stocked, but we only used the kitchen a few times.

Aside from issues with the villa, the staff was great. Whenever we needed something, they were very accommodating and friendly. We received no sales calls and were never pressured to attend a time share presentation. We did not use the pool, but it looked clean and well maintained. The location is extremely convenient to Disney, shopping, and restaurants.

Overall, our stay at the Star Island was fine. We usually stay at Marriott properties, so my standards are a little high. If the unit was bigger and the villas were updated I would have rated this resort higher. If you have read other horrible reviews and are hesitant about staying at this resort, I would recommend giving Star Island a shot. I am extremely picky, so if you are not traveling with a lot of people and don't need the space, or if you are not concerned with outdated decor, Star Island is not as bad as others have said!

I hope this helps!!

• Liked — Location, staff
  • Disliked — size of unit
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2007

This is probably the most comfortable hotel I've ever been! I went with my husband and my three teenagers and we stayed in a 3-bedroom 2 bathroom villa. It is just amazing. Every time I went to Orlando I slept at a Days Inn or something similar so I appreciate a lot the huge size.

The main room has a king-size bed, a big t.v., a large jacuzzi, and an enormous shower.

The living room has an even larger T.V. with a DVD, a stereo and a couch-bed in which two adults can comfortably sleep.
The kitchen is completely equiped. It has a dishwasher, large fridge, oven, microwave oven, etc.

The 2nd room has two beds and a T.V.,and the 3rd room has a double couch-bed, a mini-fridge, a coffemaker and a small sink.

I loved both swimming pools and sometimes they were completely empty.
The resort has a lot of activities during the week which we really enjoyed. I liked the location (just about 4 miles from Disney).

My family and I recommend this resort to everyone!

• Liked — The size of the villa.
  • Disliked — Nothing!!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cold Northern Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2007

We have stayed at Star Island four times now and have never had a "bad" experience.
We now know that a one bedroom deluxe is our perfect size. I don't remember seeing any bug inside our rooms at anytime. We have always found the rooms clean without even a "closed up" smell that we have found at other resorts.
The pool is large with several sections, plus another section of lounges just for sunbathers.
The grounds are kept neat and are wonderful to walk around and explore.
I like the security of the gated access road.
My husband now prefers to stay in Orlando because he has become familiar with the streets there, and especially around this resort. Groceries and restaurants are plentiful and close by.
We would recommend this resort to families of any age or size.

Stayed February 2007
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2007

As usual, we had a great 1 bedroom suite. Love this place. No more harrassing phone calls regarding sales tours. Voicemails everyday telling your what events are going on.

Checked in early with no problem. Check out late with ease. Plenty of parking.

Stayed in Building 22. I requested a 1 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms, because my parents were staying one night. Got what I asked for. Had no problem using the washer & dryer in the public laundry room one night. The public laundry is free. If you get a 1 bedroom suite with 1 bath, you will have a washer & dryer in the condo.

Will be staying there again. Might change the time of year we go due to the crowds & the heat. We will miss the Food & Wine Fesitval & Halloween Horror Nights, but less crowds & heat sounds better to me.

I would recommend this resort to anyone. Even my parents who own a timeshare were very impressed with the room. They complimented the mattress on the pull out couch & the shower stall in the second bathroom. I think they were impressed, which is hard to do.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

Stayed here once before (it was our first time in a timeshare of this style and was impressed by the size of the room) so we knew what to expect. This trip, we stayed with friends in one of the newer, taller buildings in the back.

Good: newer, slightly better unit; in the back so a little more quite; added WiFi in rooms
Average: they are trying for upscale glory (spa tubs, granite counters) but missing with horrible carpet, old cheap furnishings, linens and older appliances
Bad: cleaning, it is not that hard. TILEX the bathrooms and do a walk through of each unit before you reopen it, maybe turn the air back on. And nix the optional smoking thing and designate buildings for smoking/non.

Speaking of the A/C, we had a 3-bedroom which is really the king master, and the lockout half with two doubles, and half the unit would not cool. Many attempts to fix, had to bring in fans; lockout half was at least 10 degrees warmer than the other side. Pool was freezing cold, complaints not handled.

Would stay again only because a) we always get a great rate for a week and b) we spend all day in parks/at dinner and rarely partake of the resort itself. FWIW.

• Liked — Plenty of room for lots of people with kitchen for an affordable price
  • Disliked — Older furnishings, general run down appearance, lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portsmouth, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed a weekend at the Star Island Resort and loved it. Our room over looked one of their lakes- it was so quiet and peaceful. Our room was decorated beautifully- It had a big jacuzzi tub in our bedroom. We had a wonderful time.

Stayed August 2003
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2007

A little not about me: my husband and I are in our 20's with no children. We are Fairfield "Discovery" members - not owners but you get to "try" it for a year or so to see if you actually want to be owners. So this was our first stay at a resort.

I wasn't expecting much after reading several of the reviews here but we were pleasantly surprised.

First, our room was HUGE!! We booked the one bedroom deluxe and it was big!! Loved soaking in the huge tub after the long walks at Disney. The decor is as described - I'm really into interior design and I thought the pink carpet would ruin my stay but after the exhaustion that is Disney I didn't really care that everything was PINK and mirrors were EVERYWHERE!!

I wished it was a little closer to Disney - a few times we got out early and were tired so we wanted to take naps but we ended up just staying in because the drive is a little far. I would recommend staying somewhere closer if you plan on making trips back and forth from Disney daily.

We had no problem with parking but we did not go in a peak season - our room was quiet, we stayed on the 6th floor of building 19 and had no complaints about the elevator, noise, or parking.

I think you should take many reviews with the time that you are going - going in september was very hot and we risked rainy days (only had 2 during our 11 day stay!) BUT there were fewer crowds than had we gone during a peak season. (So of course less noise at the resort)

Also we did not do any of the activities the resort had planned - there were tons but I was too nervous about the sales pitches that I did not want to even go to the pool (we did go once and had no problem though)

Stayed September 2007

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!