“Very nice family resort” 4 of 5 stars

Liki Tiki Village
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   17777 Bali Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34787   |
Ranked #27 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Miami
“Very nice family resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Just got back from an awesome time at Liki Tiki. Check in was very easy and front desk was very friendly. I requested a renovated room close to the pool and that was exactly what I got. 2 bedroom apartment on the 5th floor. Very clean and comfortable. We requested extra time on our check out day and was not granted due to hotel being booked for the 4th of July, since I was leaving the room late I got to see the housekeeper taking everything out of the kitchen cabinets to clean even though they were clean. This place take cleaning very seriously and I liked that. The lagoon was awesome. We had a great time and are looking forward to come back pretty soon.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Liki Tiki Village, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. Everything you mentioned here are things we are constantly vigilant about; easy and pleasant check-in experience, clean and comfortable villa accommodations, and diligent attention to maintaining and refreshing our resort - all in an effort to meet and exceed your expectations. See you again real soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

Stayed 7 nights at Liki Tiki and was very happy with all accomodations. We had a two bedroom unit and it was very nicely sized. Rooms were clean and had everything that we needed to enjoy our stay. Pools were clean and kids had a blast on the water slides. Liki Tiki is not a luxury resort but I don't think that it advertises itself as such so I was completely satified with my stay. And we had no problems with bed bugs.

Room Tip: Best view with pool adjacent rooms.
, Manager at Liki Tiki Village, responded to this review, July 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell everyone about your pleasant experience. The two bedroom units are definitely a guest favorite, with more room to spread out and live like us Islanders do. Our accommodations are far superior than the standard value hotel rooms you will find in the area; but your right, we do not presume to offer the luxuries of an expensive high-end hotel. Here you can expect a more down to earth, home-like experience – with a tropical twist, and a plethora of amenities and activities not seen at our price-point. As for bed bugs, well, even those luxury high-end hotels have them. Our record on the matter is better than most. You are more likely to see an animal at the top of the Florida food chain that would typically warrant more of a scare. Thanks again for your kind words.
Sayreville, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I recently stayed at Liki Tiki Village for five nights. I had a beautiful two bedroom townhouse with a view of the lake and water park. The resort was amazing! We absolutely loved all that it had to offer and the ability to spread out and relax while back in the room. My only complaint is that the employees all seemed miserable. Almost as if they were forced to be there. The first day that I arrived, I stood at the bar to order a soda with my 18 month old son in my arms. The bartender did not come over to us for a few minutes and no one else was at the bar, but there was a soccer game on. Then, we went over to the children's activity center to play water balloon toss. There were no other kids around but the girls had a bunch of water balloons blown up. My daughter wanted to play but the girls said she couldn't unless other kids came, which they didn't. Another day during BINGO there we two girls working. One of the girls was doing everything; collecting the money from the people, answering questions, calling the numbers, checking the BINGOs, to a crowd of at least 40 people. The other girl sat at the table on her phone ( a white iphone with a light and dark blue cover - thats how much she was on it). At one point it seemed like the other girl asked her to help and she stormed off to the activity building. One of our last nights there was an issue with the water and they had to turn the water off pretty late in the evening. I called asking where I could get water to make my son a bottle and the woman at the front desk told me to walk to the tall buildings (on the other side of the resort). I was surprised that they were not providing water bottles for people in my situation. My husband and I did not have any change or dollar bills on us so we could not get water and had to leave the resort to go buy water around midnight. If this resort improved their employees it would be an amazing place to stay. The comfort and amenities are there but the staff is lacking moral.

Room Tip: two bedroom townhouse had upstairs, downstairs, full kitchen, and two full bath. Plenty of space fo...
, Manager at Liki Tiki Village, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. It is sad to hear but please know that we take this type of observation of our staff very seriously, and to the heart. We are actively investigating this series of encounters and will work to improve any outliers. The water main break incident is a devastating blow, quite literally, to any business. Our perspective on the situation was through rose-colored glasses because of the quick responsiveness of our engineering team and supplemental utilities support that got the water main fixed without much fuss. However we completely understand that even a minute or two without water can be wrenching. Even though the break happened after bedtime, we still had a significant amount of guests calling us with deep concerns. We tried our very best to deal with the situation from a guest service perspective as best we could with what personnel was available at that hour. Your suggestion to have bottled water available for distribution in case of emergencies will be taken into serious consideration. We could strategically place cases of water so that staff can access it at any hour. As for our activities department, most games typically require pairs or teams – but we are constantly changing up the activities hosted throughout the day. We have made efforts to provide a diversity of options, which include activities for single children such as arts & crafts projects or the option to join a team if enough guests participate in the scheduled activity. All in all we want you to know that we are working on providing remedies to all of your observations and we sincerely appreciate you taking the time share these concerns so that we are made aware.
Crowley, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at Liki Tiki the last week of June 2012. Having read mixed reviews, I didn't really know what to expect. But, everything turned out fine.

When I originally was about to book our week, I made some phone calls to the resort to ask a couple of questions before booking. First, I wanted to know if the rooms had flat PANEL TV's (with HDMI hook-up for Netflix Movie viewing) rather than the old boxy type TV's. I was told by the lady on the phone that ALL the rooms in the complex had flat panel TV's. Second, I wanted to know if my one bedroom had the LARGE jacuzzi tub that I was used to getting after having stayed in the one bedroom units at Star Island and Marriott Grande Vista. Once again, I was assured that this was the case. So, I booked my room, confident of the fact that the one bedroom unit at Liki Tiki was very comparable in size and features to the ones I have stayed in at other resorts.

When I arrived, the check in process was easy enough. The grounds also looked very nice. After registering, they sent me to the "other" desk to tell me about discount tickets to area attractions. This, of course, was an attempt to get me to schedule a time share sales pitch (of which I was familiar due to previous trips). Thankfully, the lady was very nice and not pushy. She was very respectful of those who said that they didn't want to be involved, and that was that. Then we headed to our room.

When we got to our one bedroom unit, I was disappointed. Not because the room was dirty or anything like that. It was, in fact, very clean and nicely appointed. The first problem was that the TV was a boxy TV with a flat screen (not a flat panel with HDMI like I had been told). So, since we had planned to hang out at the resort for the week and had brought our laptop with Netflix to hook up to the TV, this was now not at option. The second problem was that the apartment was a good bit smaller than the one bedroom units we had stayed in at previous resorts. The living room was small, the bedroom was a queen instead of a king bed, the jacuzzi bathtub was not the large tub, but rather a normal size bathtub (with a little higher side walls), and the dining table was only a round table with 4 chairs. Since their were five of us, and their were no other bar stools or the like, we were going to have a seating problem when it came to meal time. One other odd situation was that the TV cabinet was on the other side of the dining table from the living room. You literally sat on the couch and the dining table was between you and the TV. It was just too far away, in my opinion. So, we made a phone call.

(Disclaimer: To be fair, the one bedroom was nicely decorated, clean, the bathtub was a jacuzzi that many people who are not my size would be able to appreciate, and everything would have been pretty decent for a family of 3 or 4. So, don't mistake my problems with the unit as problems that someone with a smaller family would have. If my wife and I were alone or had less kids with us, the apartment would have been fine).

Long story shorter....after a few phone calls and call backs, the very gracious people at the front desk did everything they could to help us out. We told them about the TV situation and that there was 5 of us. We asked if we could upgrade to a larger unit. Eventually, they found us a two bedroom unit in the same building and was willing to upgrade us for only $100 for the whole week. We gladly accepted and were moved to the new unit. They even sent someone to help us move our baggage and such. We were very relieved. Once again, we were very impressed how the front desk people treated us with the utmost of courtesy and seemed genuinely concerned about us and wanted to try to help us if they could.

The new two bedroom apartment was exactly what we were looking for. It was much more comparable to the one bedroom units we had stayed in before at other resorts, and even a little bigger. It had a big, flat screen plasma TV on the wall with HDMI, the living room was much bigger, the dining table sat six along with 3 bar stools at the counter, and the jacuzzi tub was the large kind. We loved this unit. The only thing that some people might not like, which didn't matter to us, was that the balcony, which was screened in, faced a patch of forest. Other than that, the walls were a little thin and you could hear people's somewhat muffled voices coming from the two apartments on either side. One other thing that was particular to our unit was that the hot and cold in the bathroom showers were backwards, but who cares, as long as you have hot and cold, which we did. Any time we needed a utensil or toilet paper, they always sent someone to our door to deliver exactly what we needed. The service was great.

Other than that, the resort is made up of 2 pools areas as well as a larger "lagoon" swimming area with water slides and such. There is also an area with a 9-hole putt putt course, paddle boats, shuffle board, mini-basketball courts, and 2-seat and 4-seat Surrey bikes. They charge a fee of about $7.00 per day to use all these activities (unlimited) as well as the swimming lagoon area (came out to about $55.00 for the week) which is tacked on to your bill at the end of the week. The only issue we had concerned the lagoon swimming area during the rainy times. We just happened to be staying when Orlando was getting scattered rains due to a tropical storm. What was odd was that, when their was no lightning and only light rain, they would shut down the lagoon area with the water slides (which was the biggest and best swimming area) but would not shut down the other two pools. It really did not make sense. The other pools were deeper and unsupervised (there were no lifeguards), yet they would keep them open. If it is unsafe to swim in the lagoon, then logic would dictate that it is unsafe to swim in the pools as well (and vice versa). When I asked about this, they simply said that they did not get the lifeguards for the lagoon to come in while it was raining. But, as soon as the rain let up, the lagoon opened quickly because lifeguards were there on duty waiting for the rain to stop. But, thankfully, the rains never lasted too long, and they always tried to get things back up to speed very quickly.

A few other various things:
1) Cell phone reception is choppy in this location, as it is a little further out than some of the other resorts.
2) Even though it is a little further down the road, it is still in a good area. There are convenient stores, gas stations, restaurants, a grocery store, and a Super-Walmart within a mile or two of this place.
3) You must log in every time you use the Wi-Fi. I had read how terrible the wi-fi was in other reviews, but the front desk person said they had recently changed companies. I did not have a problem with reception at all.
4) They do not provide towels at the pool. You must bring them from your room and take them back with you. This should not be a problem if you are not a spoiled type.
5) There weren't as many organized group kid's activities as there was at the Marriott Grande Vista, but the putt putt, bikes, paddle boats, and other stuff made up for this.

Overall, once they upgraded our room, we had a great vacation at Liki Tiki. Our kids, who are all under 12, enjoyed all the stuff it had to offer. The look of the resort was not as bad or outdated as some reviews had made it out to be. It was very nice. When we ran into a few hiccups, the staff always did everything they could to help us out.

If I could, I would give it 4.5 stars. We would definitely stay their again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a two bedroom if you have 5 or more people. You will be glad you did.
, Manager at Liki Tiki Village, responded to this review, July 14, 2012
Wow! This was quite a write-up! Thanks for giving us so much detail. It helps us greatly when it comes to discussing your review and picking out what we need to work on. We are so glad a two-bedroom unit was available for upgrade and that your vacation then turned into a more positive experience. If not, this could have been a totally different review. Our reservation department will be informed of their discrepancy about the flat-panel TV and jetted tub. We do still have some older units, slated to be remodeled next, that provide a delightfully nostalgic trip back to the early 90’s. We encourage our guests to request the uncertains such as a jetted tub, newly renovated, screen-in porch, near the elevator, etc. But in your case you were told your inquiries were certains, so for that we apologize.

Our pool closing policy is another concern of yours, as it is for many of our guests. The confusion comes about when our guests see nice weather again after a quick thunderstorm and wonder why they cannot get back into the lagoon pool. Our policy dictates that the lagoon pool is to remain closed for 45 minutes after the last sighting of lightning or sound of thunder. This is pretty standard in the aquatic industry, but certain exceptions are sometimes elsewhere made. Our ‘Water Adventure Park,’ a.k.a. Liki Tiki Lagoon, requires a high level accreditation, which we value and protect like a proud mother. More importantly, it is your safety we hold in the highest regard, and for these reasons you may notice a stricter adherence to closing policies and procedures. As for the other two resort pools; they are both ‘Swim at your Own Risk.’ I know, I know, polar opposites right? Well that’s kind of the reason why we do it; to provide a yin to the yang. Under a ‘Swin at your Own Risk’ policy, the administration of your safety is then transferred back to you so that you may make the decision whether or not to go swimming. And many people happily make the decision to splash about with the backdrop of a furious sky. This policy is also applicable when the weather is perfect, as there are no lifeguards to watch over you. Thanks for bringing this issue up so that I could discuss it in detail to any potential guests. And thanks again for your detailed review, we appreciate the time you took to provide this information.
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Just completed a stay at Liki-Tiki and found it to be just what we expected - very family friendly but not necessarily one of those destination luxury resorts. The resort is big on family activities - the water park lagoon, paddleboats, mini-golf, shuffleboard, and a couple of other pools. But when you look closely, there are certainly details that can be improved upon. Bathrooms seem out of date and minimal and amenities, aside from the apartment style housing, are minimal. The location is just OK if you're visiting the local theme parks. You'll have to suffer through some traffic on the 192 while heading to Disney or Universal. It is close to lots of restaurants and grocery stores, and you have a secure feeling with the guard gate up front. Seemed to be plenty of parking - we never had problems with that. Overall, it is about what we expected, just some renovations needed here and there.

Room Tip: to avoid noise, you may want to request rooms away from pool areas as they are open til midnight and...
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 6 day 5 night stay. The resort was great. If you look hard enough anybody can find something wrong with any resort. What I found wrong was first, the cell phone service there was horrible. Second, there were no pool towels in the room, and the lady at the front desk was sure that they were in the bathroom. After I insisted that there not there she sent some over. Third, the balcony view was facing the trees. Last, late one night coming in I heard something moving when I got up on it I saw 2 huge racoons going through the trash. I take it that this is because our building was next to a heavily wooded area. Everything else about the resort was excellent. The pools were nice. The lagoon was awesome. The unit was nice. There were enough activities on site to not have to spend a lot of money going elsewhere. We will be going back when my son is old enough to go. If I can get a unit with a pool or lagoon view.

Room Tip: Get a room with a pool or lagoon view.
New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Two adults and a two years old girl... location is great, location is great, room are average, we had a queen bed with my gigantic husband little over 6 feet, it was tight, i felt bad for my girl she slept in a sleeper sofa, which are known to be VERY UNCOMFORTABLE, she didnt have a good night sleep. they charge you if you loos e the keys or towels, so you better have a key chain with them. Pool area is super hyper cramped, is really tiny, they have great pool games but is over cramped, you might not like that, so at the end of the pool day you need a quite time because lack of space. We asked for late check out and of course it was denied our little one need it to sleep but they told s no.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Liki Tiki Village? Share your experiences!