“Luckily I was informed.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Westgate Vacation Villas Resort to your Saves list
Westgate Vacation Villas Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   7700 Westgate Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
Cayey, PR
“Luckily I was informed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2005

Before going on vacation I read several pamphlets and books concerning timeshares. Also I read reviews in various sites such as Trip Advisor. I did this just to inform myself on issues relating to timeshares and resorts, since I presently own two timeshares, one in my local area and the other in Disney. In one of my readings Westgate Resorts was mentioned, which in my two week stay in Orlando I would be staying in two of their resorts. First week in Westgate Vacation Villas and the second week in Westgate Lake Resort.

In my readings it was mentioned that in Westgate Resorts they had an aggressive timesharing selling program. I read that a representative would take you to the room after check in and then would mention that he would call during the week to meet with guests to make a maintenance inventory review and to make sure all was well. This reading also stated that when the day did come up, the form that was filled out would be used as an excuse for a timeshare sales pitch which would take four hours of your time.

Since I had this information I was prepared and informed my sister which was staying in a different villa which I had reserved for her with a guest certificate via Interval.

Due to flight problems I would not get in to Westgate Vacation Villas until Monday morning, one day late. I called the resort and informed of this situation and the representative courteously stated that there would be no problems and she would make a note in my record so I would have no problems.

When I arrived at Westgate Vacation Villas there were seven persons in front of me waiting to be checked in. One of the persons (female) being already checked in was having problems with the clerk checking her in. His attitude was not courteous at all. The guest then exclaimed that this timeshare deal was a big mistake and that she regreted the day she purchased the timeshare in this plalce. Wow, that caught my attention and when the clerk left the front desk for a moment I asked her what problem was she facing. She stated that she was already standing there for an hour and after having a confirmation with her home resort it turned out that she did not have a room. Then the clerk returned and the guest continued with the check in.

After waiting for approximately 30 minutes my turn came up and low and behold, it turned out that apparently there was no room available. The clerk (female) very courteous started to make calls to different places and checking her computer. After a while I asked her if she was having any problems with my reservation. She stated that she was looking through the different areas to find a room for me. Then 20 minutes later she made another call and was told there was a room available which was AA10. We finally were checked in and told to go to the Guest Relations desk so that a representative can take us to our room. When we arrived to the room there was a maintenance crew painting and doing repairs to the room, also the AC was not working. The guest relations representative looked surprised to find the crew there and so was the maintenance crew to see us walk in. One of the persons from the maintenance crew informed of the problems of the Villas and also stated that the AC was not working, but that it would not take long to finish their work. I stated that I would not stay there since the AC was not working and the strong smell of paint. The guest relations representative called the front desk and informed the problem. After a wait he told us to go to the next building and that he would go make the change of the room and to get the new keys to the villa.

When he returned with the keys he escorted us to the villa, all the time he was very courteous with us. He showed us the room and after a small conversation he then mentioned that he would get in contact with us during the week for a maintenance inventory. He also stated that if we were to buy timeshare not to buy it unless it was a resale so that we could save money. BINGO - what I had read about the resort was unfolding the sales pitch. Two days later a different representative called me when I was walking out of the room, she stated that she was my new guest relations representative and that she would be taking care of my needs and that she needed to set up and appointment for the maintenance inventory and we could eat breakfast at the resort cost. I stated that I was on my way out at this time. She stated that she would get in contact with me again.

I then realized that she was trying to set me up for the timeshare sales pitch, and as I mentioned previously I already have timeshares and I had obtaiend this reservation via an exchange. The sales representative called the next day in the morning and mentioned that she had space available. I informed her that I was not interested at this time and that if she wanted to perform a maintenance inventory I would wait for her so she could perform it. She stated that I needed to go to the Guest House, which I said I had no time at the moment because I was on my way to Animal Kingdom. I also asked her if this was to try and sell me a timeshare, and if it was I was not interested since I already own timeshares, she stated that it was for a mandatory maintenance inventory, I then replied that I was not interested. After this we did not answer the phone anymore since we had our celulars and weren't expecting any calls. Messages were left, but not replied to, after this no more calls.

I had worned my sister but out of curiosity she submitted herself to the sales pitch and she stated that they gave her breakfast and then the sales pitch came. After informing that she was not interested in purchasing she was then referred to two other salespersons. She was held down for four hours, until she finally got tired and got up, excused herself and walked out and stating that she would not buy. Basically what I had read and informed her actually unfolded and happened to her.

When I went to the second resort Westgate Lake Resort I simply went directly to my room without going to the guest relations desk after chek in and did not answer the phone which rang several times and did not reply to the messages. This way I avoided any sales pitch.

As for the accomodations, they were average, nothing spectacular, but comfortable, spacious and clean. Everything was working except for one lamp bulb which was replaced on the second day. No parking problems, there was always a parking close to the villa. The employees that I came in contact were all very courteous and willing to give me an answer.

In all the place is average and would not mind staying there, but if they would just cut the aggressive sales pitch. If a person already has a timeshare they should just lay off him. Save the energy for new customers which do not own timeshare.

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (521)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2005

This is a very nice resort and very close to Disney. It's a timeshare resort, so if you are not already an owner, at some point you will have to do the presentation. When they say 90 minutes - plan for AT LEAST 3 hours.

They have a kids club - it's a big room with a few staffers there. Mostly, the kids play video games and the little guys watch movies. I wanted something a little more interactive, but that's all there was. The cost is $7 per child, per hour and siblings cost an additional $1 per child, per hour. We paid $27 for 3 hours because we have 3 kids (or $9 per hour). There is an activity buliding with pay-by-the-activity things for the kids to do. Sand art @ 2pm for $3 as an example. Some of the activities are available for free for owners. If you are looking for a place to drop the kids and take some quiet time - the kids club will turn the kids into video zombies, but they will be safe. We used it 1 time in 8 days.

The pools were nice, clean and there is no life guard. Remember, it's a facility based on ownership, so many activities are on your own. It's close to Disney and there is a shuttle available @ $14 per person. It's cheaper to drive yourself and pay to park. Parking cost $8.00 per day at the Disney parks and once you pay at one park, you can use the same parking pass at any of the parks on the same day. If you are going to Disney, invest in rain ponchos (97 cents at Walmart or $7 in Disney). June started the hurricane season in Florida and the resort has a few activies for rainy days. It rained every day we were there at some point for 8 days. My husband and sons went swimming in the rain. You just have to listen for thunder and of course don't swim when there is lightening. They had a great time and the pool was packed - who knew?

We ended up buying a timeshare, but we had been looking for one anyway. It's a nice family place and since we are in Florida at least every 3 years, and on family vacations yearly - we figured we'd invest. All and all, this was a nice resort - really suitable for families.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2005

Before I traveled to Westgate, I had read the reviews and did not want to come here. After I arrived, I found that it ws not as bad as the reviews made it. The rooms were nice and spacious. The furniture was neat and clean. The floors were not as clean as I would like them to be. The utensils, dishes and pots and pans were very useful. The location was the best.

We did encounter a salesperson who kept saying that we needed to come to the club house to do a maintenance report. We asked if it was a maintenance report, why would we have to come to the club house. the sales person shoudl come to the room. Seeing that we were on to his sales tactics, he backed off.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2005

I had given Westgate a decent review on my previous visist except for the time share spiel which was aweful.
This year because of the last minute need for a place, we again received Westgate. After reading so many negatives I started to think our previous stay was a fluke and started to dread this visit.

Check In was crowded but went fine.
We were taken to our rooms by "Kevin(??)
He said, Oh you're in luck you are staying in the original building" like how lucky were we.
I was expecting a dump but actually it was very nice. Not as luxurious as our first visit, but very clean (with a few exceptions ((dont look up at the light in the kitchen, bug shadows shudder)) and in good condition (again with a few exceptions I could live with) but it was very spacious and we had a great screened in balcony overlooking the lake which we used a lot!
We avoided the "comment sheet" meeting which was disguised as the paper you fill out in a time share with the descriptions and inventory etc. Later on the person I was staying with got nervous about the inventory and some things that weren't working up to par and therefore decided to go fill out the comment sheet. I went with them.

Because it was so noisy, our rep decided to take us somewhere quiet, so we got on a golf cart and went to a new model and had a tour !!Surprise!!!
We had the tour, we answered the obvious scripted questions (which had NOTHING to do with inventory or anything about the place itself haha) we spent 2 hours of our vacation with a salesman who was so typical we had to laugh.
Question: who's worse? a timeshare salesman or a used car salesman?
Anyways, we finally got it through his head that WE ARE NOT INTERESTED which we had to repeat to his boss and to another guy, then we left.

THey have such a nice place, they dont need this sort of heavy duty hard sell. Its really a turn off and NO I probably wouldnt stay there and definitely would never buy there.

but the place itself was nice, the people were nice.

Thats it,,,,,, just nice not great.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2005

Arrived as usual on Sunday after 4pm, only to be refused entrance to our timeshare, but they put us in another one, even though we have already paid for our own one. The staff are really rude and we wouldnt recommend anyone going here cause its really changed since we first purchased. We stayed for 1 week but couldnt wait to get home, the Furnishings are needing updating, the bath was filthy and I found the whole place in dire need of attention.

• Stayed May 2005
Hebron, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

Short and sweet, this is hard for a southern girl.
Qued in a hot parking lot in front of a shed to preregister.
Obnoxious, threatening and demeaning time share greeter.
Poor maintenance---toliets stopped up three times.
Non-existent parking lot security check going in and open back entry.
Open garbage dumpster in front of villa.
Cockroaches in the kitchen. Disgusting
Unauthorized charge for the Westgate Foundation.
Outdated furnishings and appliances.
Stayed only a few days. Checked out and had our week redeposited with Interval.
Stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Westgate Vacation Villas Resort? Share your experiences!