“we had a great time & this provided for our needs.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Knights Inn Maingate

You added Knights Inn Maingate to your Saves list
Knights Inn Maingate
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7475 West Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway, Kissimmee, FL 34746   |
Ranked #79 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
New Philadelphia, Ohio
“we had a great time & this provided for our needs.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

I will start with a warning, ALWAYS CHECK FOR BEDBUGS AT ANY HOTEL BEFORE YOU BRING IN YOUR BAGGAGE! America has been recently become a very hospitable place for bedbugs and the weather in florida makes it doubly so.
To check for the dastardly little buggers pull back the sheets looking along the tube like seam and look for dark marks that look just like mildew. This is excrement for more details check this article.
we checked in and did the bedbug check and yes we found them and were promptly and graciously given a different room and went through the "check" again to find them yet again! the man at the desk upon me bringing him an actual bedbug in a piece of paper did try to tell me it was not a bedbug, to which I said "yes it is." and got no argument from him but another room and he stated the rooms away from the pool always seem to be better so we tried again and after the "check" confirmed it was free of the extra guests.
we checked in and stayed for 3 days (so far) with out incident.
no one is impressed by the size of the towels in the reviews we read so we brought our own, no biggie we were happily given extras when we asked with out comment or complaint. You should ask for a remote for the tv when you check in as they keep them in the office but have no problem giving them to you . No one in the reviews were impressed by the continental breakfast so we expected it. The coffee was good, the donettes were ok and there is a sign stating you can have 2 donuts (donettes) per person. we were not angry as we expected it and had breakfast stuff in our room. there is a shoneys next door too.
The pool was warm (from the sun) lit & open til late at night and seemed clean, doesn't exactly look like the picture in the advertisement as the paint is a little flaky and there are weeds around the edges of the area, but no yucky stuff to contend with.
they cleaned our room every day and made the beds putting our extra pillows and even stuffed animals in the bed in a friendly way that made it homey and nice to come back to after the long day at the park.
yes the towels were small so expect it. you can purchase your own beach towel down the road for a few dollars.
the plumbing a little noisy, big deal, it works and it has HOT water!
I NEVER saw a cock roach , or for that matter any other kind of bug in our room .
One night after the park my little one threw up on the bed, we were promply given new bedding with no trouble.
The beds were so comfortable. the tv, microwave & fridge all worked. And our A/C could have impressed a polar bear!
Oh here is something no one told us, YOU CAN BUY YOUR TICKETS FOR DISNEY & OTHER ATTRACTIONS HERE AT THE HOTEL AT A DISCOUNTED RATE. We got ours from undercovertourist.com and got a good deal but would have saved at least 100$ if we had got them from the promo guy in the office.
I am ok with the hotel and impressed by the staff. There was loads of restraunts and cheap souvenier places nearby. It seems pretty central to everything.
And the internet was great about 1200-1400 kbps day or night from our experience.
There are ice machines and laundry facilities 2$ for the washer or dryer.
we never locked our belongings and were not missing anything.
Having a great time at a low price, and happy to share it with others!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
chicago
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

This is the nastiest place ever!!! It is in a great location that's close to everything, but if you can afford something else, PLEASE DO BY ANY MEANS!!! I have NEVER seen a place this gross IN MY LIFE!!!!! I've been to motels in the ghetto on the southside of Chicago, and still have never seen anything this bad in my life! My son and I broke out in rashes from this hotel, that looked like the chicken pox all over our body! My doctor safetly concluded that we had a reaction to maybe the carpet in the nasty room. I just can't believe that the management allow these units to look this bad. PLEASE TAKE MY ADVICE: DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
ft lauderdale
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I found the Desk people in the lobby from when we checked in to when we checked out to be uncaring from the desk person to mangement. Hotel very run down, (cannot cover old with paint) furniture very old, sheets did not fit beds, asked for extra towel at 9pm person at desk said did not have any only hand towel till next day when housekeeping came in, there was only one left for us to start with(towels are small old and scratchy) no remote for (old) tv, lobby did not tell me you had to get one from them. Continental breakfast small little doughnuts, juice and coffee, worse one I ever saw thank goodness there were plenty of restruants in area so we could eat. Run our credit card 2 times therefor froze double the hotel amount, which was no less then hotels in the area that were much better. Lots of dirt and cob webs behind the beds. Could go on and on, would never stay there again no matter if it is close to Disney.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Boston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

I've stayed in alot of the cheapest hostels and hotels you can find, but I've never been in a room this dirty. The beds were infested with bed bugs! The sheets were stale and I'm not sure if they were changed and the blankets had stains on them too. Seeing all the itchy, red bites all over my body as I type is making me angrier and angrier.

The hotel boasts about having free services like shuttles to Disney world but in reality, the shady contracted shuttle driver made it mandatory for us to pay. We're not cheap or anything and we would gladly pay if we had known in advance that there is a charge. Just don't lie to us. He charged us $25 dollars when the hotel is less than 3 miles to Disneyworld! He even had the audacity to say that this was cheaper than a cab. My friend and I were utterly shocked when he demanded we pay as we were getting out.The times the "free" shuttle ran were also infrequent and inconvenient (8.45 am and 9.45 pm only). He also tried to make us charter him to send us to the airport for $50/person when I took a ride there for $17.
There were also alot of add ins like extra $6/day for service charge, which is ridiculous since this should be included in the rates. The "continental" breakfast was essentially hard donuts and coffee. There were no eggs/ham/sausages essential in a continental breakfast. The staff were unprofessional and made unnecessary references and presumptions to us being asian.

I know that the rates are relatively cheap ~$40/day, but for all it's worth, I would gladly shell out more for cleanliness and honesty.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Sarasota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

my family and I stayed there 4 times in 6 months. this last time the bed wasn't changed, the room wasn't vaccuumed, and my jewelry was stolen. The first three times was okay; the location is great and the beds comfortable. The first three times the price was great, but the fouth time they reamed us with all kinds of taxes and surcharges. We even had to pay for the phone which we never even LOOKED at. I'll never go back there again and we have yearly passes to Disney's 4 parks. Boy, did they ever lose a lot of money!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2009

For a $30/night room, we certainly weren't expecting the Ritz. But for what we paid, we were extremely satisfied with our experience at his hotel.Here are the perks:

Fridge: In my research, it was hard to find (without an extra fee) a room with a refrigerator--this was very important to us, as we wanted to make/bring lunches with us to Disney.

Shuttle: The shuttle, though it made about 20-minutes-worth of stops at other hotels, got us to Disney right when it opened, so no complaints there. It also was there to pick us up after Disney closed. We did end up driving some of the days, just for more flexibility.

High-speed:Another great perk. Though the connection was a bit dodgy at night--it didn't always work when we got back from Disney around 11pm--it was great in the AM around 7am. No problems logging in, fast speed, nice to be able to connect with folks back home quickly before we left for the day.

Breakfast: The norm: doughnuts, coffee, and OJ. If you get there at 7am when it opens, you get your pick of the litter. No complaints here, and it was a nice bit of fuel to start the day.

Area:Lots of eating establishments (nothing upscale) within walking distance should you want to skip the doughnuts or get dinner. Also lots of cheapo gift shops. If we hadn't had a rental car, I think this area would still have been okay for us to walk and find what we needed.

Negatives: The room was "well-loved." But again, we got what we paid for. The tub had some rust, wall paint was chipping, the carpet had been warn, and the towels were thin. BUT we really didn't care. We just wanted a place to sleep for 7 hours and keep our sandwiches cool.

If you're looking for ambiance, don't stay here. But if you want a great deal and above-average amenities for your buck, this is the place for you.

• Liked — Perks: Fridge, microwave, high-speed, shuttle to disney, closeness to attractions, breakfast
  • Disliked — run-down room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boca Raton, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

This property is a great example of you get what you pay for. It is one if the least expensive properties in the Orlando Area. It is conveniently located 1 mile outside of Disney. Rooms are basic-very basic. Staff all speak Spanish which might be a plus for some guests.

Pool is small but clean.

Towels are miniscule in size.

Claimed free shuttles to Disney are once a day at inconvenient times. Add the $11/day Disney parking fee to the hotel room fee and it is still a good buy if you are not looking for anything at all upscale.

It was an okay place to sleep at night while visiting Disney. Don't expect a lot, but it is great value for the money.

Rooms have refrigerator (took 3 calls to get one that was sort of working) and microwaves. Parking is very convenient immediately outside the rooms.

"Free" breakfast is coffee and some donuts.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Tiny towels
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Knights Inn Maingate? Share your experiences!