“A good stay” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West

You added Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West to your Saves list
Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   7491 West Highway 192, Kissimmee, FL 34747 (Formerly Ramada Kissimmee Maingate West)   |
Ranked #90 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Rochdale, UK
“A good stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I booked a last minute holiday through Monarch, and this was one of the hotel options that was presented to me when selecting a hotel. I like the location of the 192, and so decided to give the Ramada Maingate West a try (this was in spite of some of the negative reviews on here).

I feel I must start out by saying that I don’t look for too much when booking a cheap hotel – all I expect is that the rooms are clean, comfortable, safe, and that the staff be helpful.

Check in: We arrived at the Ramada around 830pm on a Friday Evening. We had the paperwork from Monarch, but it did not have a booking reference on it. At first, the receptionist struggled to find our booking but they did after about 5 minutes. This was no fault of the Ramada though as the tour operator had booked our hotel under my husband’s first name instead of our surname. Once the reservation was found, we were quickly issued a non-smoking room on the first floor of the hotel.

Lobby / Reception Area: When you first walk in the hotel entrance you are immediately hit with the smell of chlorine from the indoor pool. This is not overpowering, but you can smell it strongly when you come in. On the right of the lobby as you enter is a small shop selling snacks and travel goods (shampoos, painkillers, gifts etc.). There is also an attraction ticket stand where you can buy theme park tickets should you choose to. The hotel reception is to the left and the pool straight ahead behind the elevators. There is a fitness room downstairs to the right of the lobby, but I could not comment on the facilities in there.

Room: As mentioned, we were on the first floor. We were told how to find the room and given a small hotel map. The corridors were really long but no trouble to find the room. Our floor seemed really quiet and we only saw two other guests in the corridors for the week we were there. The key worked on the room door without any troubles. The room we got was big – 2 double beds, a bathroom (bath & shower). The room was dated, but it was clean and I could not complain at that. The drawers / TV stand was old and not really in the best of condition, but again they were not dangerous. The bath and bathroom were clean (without mould in our room). There was a coffee maker in the bathroom next to the sink. The maid service came daily and made beds, vacuumed floor, replenished toiletries etc. The TV was an old style CRT TV, but had an abundance of channels to watch.

Wifi: I will mention that the wifi in the hotel does not stretch to the rooms. It does however work in the lobby. If you need internet that badly, there are seats in the lobby that you could sit at and use the wifi there. I don’t believe that you can complain that the “free wifi” doesn’t work as it does!

Checkout: No issues at all with this – a very quick, very easy check out.

Parking: The hotel has a huge carpark that goes all the way around it. I never had any issues parking my car.

Shuttles: I can’t comment on these as I never used them. Two mornings, on leaving the hotel, I did see shuttles to Universal parked outside (around 7am).

Other: We didn’t use the pool facilities, although they looked to be decent enough. There was an indoor pool and hot tub, and then an outdoor pool at the back of the hotel. I did not dine in the hotel, nor visit the bar. They do have karaoke on a Friday night as this was taking place when we first arrived at the hotel to check in.

Overall: I’d stay here again – it was a very cheap hotel for a week in Orlando and I left happy with my booking.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your pleasant experience here at Ramada Maingate West. Our staff appreciates your kind comments concerning the service and accommodations provided to you.

Your remarks are being shared with the management team at the hotel. Comments such as yours benefit our system in many ways. We work very hard to maintain the highest standards of excellence in all areas of our hotel operations.

We sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity to extend our usual hospitality again in the near future.

M. Haibon-Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I travel to Orlando on a yearly basis and I normally stop on International Drive, this trip we had to do on a budget and I have to say my expectations were that I was not expecting a lot. If you buy a cheap trip you expect very basis amenities, however you do expect cleanliness, hospitable staff and a safe environment to stay. I hate complaining but without comments like these nothing will change and peoples hard working money is being wasted.

When we checked into this hotel we first of all noticed that the staff at the counter where less than impressed to see us! We seemed to be an inconvenience to them and what they are wanting to do. The rooms are very old and very worn, the fire sprinkler and the thermostat was broken and the room safe was faulty. We did report these and we got told that basically nothing could be done as the hotel was full. Throughout the whole holiday we did not unpack our belongings as the rooms smell musty and damp, the small area where you can hang clothing was cover in dust.

In regards to safety of the hotel, the hotel from what I could see is also used for people staying long term. These people had all kinds of different people coming and going at all different times of the day. The doors at the sides of the hotel which needed a keycard to enter had been faulty meaning they are open 24 hours a day for anyone to come into. It is very un-nerving to know that anyone could be walking around the hotel without the staff knowledge.

Whilst there, the hotel had numerous leaks with buckets in the corridors and the laundry room is an absolute waste of time, most machines broken and the ones which are working are in a poor condition.

Finally don't be fooled into thinking your getting a bargain holiday because the reason is you are charged and additional resort fee ($14 per night I think it was whilst we stayed).

We also gave the restaurant a go and have to say it was very poor quality food and with the same cost you can just go to a diner or steak house which serves great food. In regards to the pool, we did not even bother to go in as you could see it was not healthy or safe!

Ramada, please give this hotel some TLC it is the most visited tourist areas in the world and this should be reflected in a clean, safe and friendly budget hotel... I do have photographs and will get these up as soon as I down load from my camera.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. We are scheduled for a full renovation this year so hopefully if you return you will have a much better experience with us.

Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

..from any class! I My first impression as I drove up was sorrow that I was not staying at the Other Ramada across the road. Oh Well! This Red roofed, baby boy blue exterior building met us with the staff sitting outside at the front of the hotel having a smoke. Well, to be fair, it may have been their break-time, but why smoke at the front of the building?
The hotel reminded me of a YMCA, so if you are looking for a basic hotel-you've got it. The lobby was dark and drab and the receptionist wouldn't crack a smile. I hoped for redemption with the rooms, but they too are outdated, moldy smelling and the hallways need a facelift. The pool is immediately behind the glass walled elevator, lt was definitely geared towards the children as it was approximately 4ft deep. The kids seemed to have a lot of fun, but I felt way too old to be going in with them.
As you ride the elevator you can see the stark, cafeteria-like food area that reminded me of school days. There were no floral arrangements, tropical trees to give it a warmer ambiance. I attempted to go to breakfast on two occasions on the weekend, but it wasn't ready and no-one was in a hurry to get it out on time. We stood around, but it wasn't happening, so we left.
Wanting to confirm my reservation and print my boarding pass, i went to the receptionist and asked for the business center to use the computer. "There is only one computer" she said"and that doesn't work". I asked her if there was any other computer I could use and she replied "no" and went about her business. In this day and age, there is no excuse for the ONE guest computer not to be working.
The best thing about this hotel is that there are quite a few restaurants if you turn left or right from the hotel. Try the Bahama Breeze Restaurant for the island flavor, or if you like seafood, there are a couple of all-you-can-eat seafood feast restaurants nearby. The other good reason would be the convenient location to Magic Kingdom and the other attractions in the vicinity, but that's all folks.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

NO internet at all and really looks like their not doing any thing about it. Found the staff friendly and tried to help as much as possible. It was a very cheap package but Definitely needs refurbish and wouldn't take my children there. The room was very dark and had no idea what the weather was like had to leave room and go outside, make sure you get room with odd number so that you get daylight. Stayed in this area before and couldn't be closer to most things. Saw fireworks Sunday night. Pool was ok but noisy next to laundry and not sure but either air con or laundry machines unit constantly on. Beds not the most comfortable in our room. Such a shame because from the outside looks really nice n newly painted, there is new patio furniture and it would take much more to finish it!!! Unfortunately we wouldn't use again.

Room Tip: Get outside rooms (odd numbers) for daylight. Not near laundry as you can get gas smell in hallway.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Guest Relations Manager at Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Enfield, Connecticut, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

It was an okay hotel. The only thing my family liked was the pool. The staff was not friendly or helpful at all. The pool water was over flowing into the lobby. The beds were uncomfortable. Don't eat at the buffet the food was not good.

• Stayed March 2014
M. Haibon-Sales

Been to Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West? Share your experiences!