I booked a last minute holiday through Monarch, and this was one of the hotel options that was presented to me when selecting a hotel. I like the location of the 192, and so decided to give the Ramada Maingate West a try (this was in spite of some of the negative reviews on here).
I feel I must start out by saying that I don’t look for too much when booking a cheap hotel – all I expect is that the rooms are clean, comfortable, safe, and that the staff be helpful.
Check in: We arrived at the Ramada around 830pm on a Friday Evening. We had the paperwork from Monarch, but it did not have a booking reference on it. At first, the receptionist struggled to find our booking but they did after about 5 minutes. This was no fault of the Ramada though as the tour operator had booked our hotel under my husband’s first name instead of our surname. Once the reservation was found, we were quickly issued a non-smoking room on the first floor of the hotel.
Lobby / Reception Area: When you first walk in the hotel entrance you are immediately hit with the smell of chlorine from the indoor pool. This is not overpowering, but you can smell it strongly when you come in. On the right of the lobby as you enter is a small shop selling snacks and travel goods (shampoos, painkillers, gifts etc.). There is also an attraction ticket stand where you can buy theme park tickets should you choose to. The hotel reception is to the left and the pool straight ahead behind the elevators. There is a fitness room downstairs to the right of the lobby, but I could not comment on the facilities in there.
Room: As mentioned, we were on the first floor. We were told how to find the room and given a small hotel map. The corridors were really long but no trouble to find the room. Our floor seemed really quiet and we only saw two other guests in the corridors for the week we were there. The key worked on the room door without any troubles. The room we got was big – 2 double beds, a bathroom (bath & shower). The room was dated, but it was clean and I could not complain at that. The drawers / TV stand was old and not really in the best of condition, but again they were not dangerous. The bath and bathroom were clean (without mould in our room). There was a coffee maker in the bathroom next to the sink. The maid service came daily and made beds, vacuumed floor, replenished toiletries etc. The TV was an old style CRT TV, but had an abundance of channels to watch.
Wifi: I will mention that the wifi in the hotel does not stretch to the rooms. It does however work in the lobby. If you need internet that badly, there are seats in the lobby that you could sit at and use the wifi there. I don’t believe that you can complain that the “free wifi” doesn’t work as it does!
Checkout: No issues at all with this – a very quick, very easy check out.
Parking: The hotel has a huge carpark that goes all the way around it. I never had any issues parking my car.
Shuttles: I can’t comment on these as I never used them. Two mornings, on leaving the hotel, I did see shuttles to Universal parked outside (around 7am).
Other: We didn’t use the pool facilities, although they looked to be decent enough. There was an indoor pool and hot tub, and then an outdoor pool at the back of the hotel. I did not dine in the hotel, nor visit the bar. They do have karaoke on a Friday night as this was taking place when we first arrived at the hotel to check in.
Overall: I’d stay here again – it was a very cheap hotel for a week in Orlando and I left happy with my booking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located outside sunny Orlando, Florida, our hotel in Kissimmee is close to all that central Florida has to offer, including the major theme parks, shopping, dining and entertainment. Situated just one mile from the main gate of Walt Disney World, Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West offers spacious, comfortable resort accommodations, exceptional amenities and exemplary service, all at a great value! Enjoy hours of family fun in our 8,000-square-foot, four-story atrium. Kids will love splashing in the heated indoor pool and playing arcade games, pool and air hockey in the game room. Parents will enjoy soaking in the hot tub or sipping a frosty beverage in the adjacent Brass Monkey Lounge.The atrium is also great for family reunions and group gatherings around the pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Despegar.com, getaroom.com, HostelBookers, Orbitz, Agoda and Tingo so you can book your Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Maingate West Hotel Kissimmee
- Ramada Hotel Kissimmee
- Ramada Hotel Maingate West
- Ramada Maingate West Kissimmee
- Kissimmee Ramada
- Ramada Kissimmee