Our experience started out very poor at this hotel and as we stayed we became used to the poor quality. Upon arriving, the evening manager checked us in at about 10:30 pm. We were very excited to begin our vacation and were all smiles, yet the manager on duty hardly cracked a smile and gave us little to no service what so ever, we actually felt as if we had interrupted his evening. We overlooked this and proceeded to our room. When we arrived on the fourth floor the first thing that we noticed was the musty and dirty smell that was poorly covered up with some kind of air freshener, the whole place was just dirty. The walls and carpet were very old and in poor condition with wallpaper torn and missing from the walls. We felt as if we were in a third world country.
When we entered the room the same musty dirty smell greeted us. The furniture was old, dirty and in poor repair. The carpet had some substance like wax all over it that hadn’t been cleaned and when we tried to use the safe it didn't work. The week we were there it was very cold and the heater in the room didn't work either. By the time we were unpacked and ready for bed it was close to midnight and we were very tired from our travels. When I crawled into bed my feet immediately touched something under the covers. Someone’s old dirty socks! They hadn't even changed the sheets from the last guests… I jumped out of bed and immediately got on the phone to Bookit.com to try to arrange for another hotel but because of the crazy weather in the Eastern US the phone lines were jammed and I couldn't get through. We decided to stay the night and I called the front desk, after a long time of ringing he finally picked up and when I told him what I’d found in the bed his response was that there was no housekeeping at night and it was just him and a security guard but that they could bring up new sheets. We ended up changing our own beds at 1 AM in the morning and when I showed the security guard the old sheets (and socks), she just said “put them out in the hall”.
The next morning the staff at the front desk was very good and was horrified to hear of our experience. Our room came with free buffet breakfast each day for two adults and two children and we had three adults so they gave us “one” free breakfast on the first day for our third adult to make it right. Somehow that just didn't cut it. We asked if we could get a third breakfast for the third adult each day because we didn't have children with us but we still had to pay $7.99 each day for the third adult. The breakfast was good, not great and we enjoyed having that as part of our package but would definitely stay somewhere else next time and pay for breakfast.
We did get used to the poor conditions but had to ask for more towels more than once because the housekeeping staff took our towels and didn't replace them all or the bath mat. Overall, I’d say if you can afford to pay just a little bit more, do it. This should not be a three star but a two star at best. We tried to save a bit of money and for us; it wasn't worth it at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located outside sunny Orlando, Florida, our hotel in Kissimmee is close to all that central Florida has to offer, including the major theme parks, shopping, dining and entertainment. Situated just one mile from the main gate of Walt Disney World, Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West offers spacious, comfortable resort accommodations, exceptional amenities and exemplary service, all at a great value! Enjoy hours of family fun in our 8,000-square-foot, four-story atrium. Kids will love splashing in the heated indoor pool and playing arcade games, pool and air hockey in the game room. Parents will enjoy soaking in the hot tub or sipping a frosty beverage in the adjacent Brass Monkey Lounge.The atrium is also great for family reunions and group gatherings around the pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, HostelBookers and Orbitz so you can book your Magnuson Grand Hotel Maingate West reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ramada Maingate West Hotel Kissimmee
- Ramada Hotel Kissimmee
- Ramada Hotel Maingate West
- Ramada Maingate West Kissimmee
- Kissimmee Ramada
- Ramada Kissimmee