“Not in this lifetime - and AVOID the 'you won a trip' people” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 15%; Earn 500 Points
Ranked #85 of 157 hotels in Kissimmee
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Not in this lifetime - and AVOID the 'you won a trip' people”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I'm going to try and be as objective as I can, though my thoughts are colored by the sleazy cruise outfit that brought me here in the first place with their phone solicitation that "you won a free trip". I'll get to them later - first - the hotel.

We stopped at the front desk and were treated with the warmth and charm of an armadillo. Despite a confirmed reservation, the package process was to send us back to the 'welcome center'. To get to this room we had to walk through the hotel and were very unimpressed. The hotel was dirty and dated. The pool area reeked of chlorine. Open doors on rooms we went past were not places where we would want to stay. After a twenty minute wait at the 'lack of welcome' center, we were told the hotel was oversold and we were being bumped to another property - Champions World Resort. Given the state of the place, we thought this would be a bonus - it wasn't.

From the poor condition of what we saw and the business practices of the outfit that brought us there - you can find much better in the same price range. Look for other reviews from the rest of our stay in the Kissimmee area.

We had only ended up there from a "congratulations, you have won a free cruise" telemarketer. If you get the call, hang up and disinfect the phone as a precaution. The cruise is on the Bahamas Celebration. What they don't tell you is it isn't free (oh, surprise! - in fact it is expensive for what you get), it is all second rate (like this hotel) and they have stupid rules (like the package includes a one week car rental - but you can't choose your rental week - you have to bracket the cruise dates - so you pay rent for 4 of the days while the car is sitting parked in port - at $15 parking charges per day). They also don't tell you that you must sit through a morning of time share presentation. Then, when our reservations were incorrect, we had to pay a $20 fee to get them to correct their mistake - or sit through a different time share presentation at another resort. Avoid these people like the plague! If you have given them any credit card deposits (and now you are checking what you got into) IMMEDIATELY call the credit card company and cancel the charges. We tried to cancel with the company selling - but they refused to answer the phone until after the time limit to cancel had passed

(As an aside, the cruise boat itself is a smaller, dated, low service vessel that goes back and forth between West Palm Beach and Freeport. It has a casino and sort of a night spot. The food varied, with a selection of restaurants. Lunches were the low point and a very nice dinner was the high point. Watch for cheesy little add-on charges - like having your ice cream in a cone instead of a cup. It is not the Love Boat - and if you are booking, book it yourself, NOT in a package with any Ramada).

Room Tip: To choose a good room - find a different hotel !
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at Ramada Kissimmee Maingate West, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
Dear Hawki56: Our apologies for any issue pertaining to the Ramada Maingate West, such as front desk, chlorine smell (from our indoor heated pool), and appearance. The remainder of your review, for other guests reading this, does not pertain to our hotel.... It is in regards to the Orlando Welcome Center, Caribbean Cruise Line, and Champion's World Resort.

988 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Troy, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

My husband and I had a great time! The hotel was clean and the staff were all friendly and helpful. Loved the outdoor and indoor pool. Was within walking distance to gift shops and restaurants. Close to the theme parks. We will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel M, Manager at Ramada Kissimmee Maingate West, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Gail V: We are happy to see you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to your next visit! Thank you for your review, from your extended family at the Ramada Maingate West.
Niceville, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel 15 years ago and fell in love with it...... well alot of time has past since then and I believe that there has been NO upkeeps to this hotel, and it shows. I did not enjoy my stay at this hotel this time and unfortantely I will not give it another chance. If you chose this hotel because of the indoor pool, please reconsider. The pool was nice but didnt make up for all the other issues it had. Our room had a musty smell to it and the carpet felt damp the whole time. We had no garbage bags in any of the trash bins. Bathroom had mildew stains and just didnt look to clean. We did find a few bugs in the room but not enough to be concerned about. I did not understand the extra 10 dollar a night resort fee,as this was NOT a resort of any kind. The staff was very nice and helpful. We ate breakfast there one morning and it was the worst food I ever ate, cold and hard and expensive. On a plus note, the A/C worked great!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Cindy M: We were happy to read your comments regarding our friendly and helpful staff. We would like to apologize and assist you further regarding your experience. Please contact the hotel and ask for the Front Office Manager so I may speak with you. We are happy to hear you were a guest of ours 15 years ago and decided to return. We would like to have you stay with us again in the future. Thank you and I look forward to speaking with you so I may address any concerns.
Cadiz, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Our kids absolutely loved the indoor and outdoor pools, not to mention the spa! The front desk employees were extremely helpful and nice. The cleaning personnel kept the room very clean and were very pleasant. Even the people working at the gift shop were nice, talkative, and helpful. My daughter and mother-in-law ate breakfast in the hotel and loved it!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hotel M, Manager at Ramada Kissimmee Maingate West, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Dear Nathan G: Thank you for taking time to write a review. We are happy that you and your family enjoyed the many amenities in our hotel such as the pools and spa. Your comments about the staff are very kind and we will be sure to share them. Thank you, once again from your extended family at the Ramada Maingate West!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

This family-friendly Ramada Maingate West Kissimmee provided everything my family and I needed for an enjoyable stay, including an on-site arcade and both indoor and outdoor swimming pools. With the convince of a free shuttle service to main attractions including Disney World, Universal Studios, SeaWorld and Wet 'n Wild water park made my trip with my family not only enjoyable but pocket friendly. I would recommend this Hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear BeachNit757: We are so happy to hear that you and your family had a great time with us! Thank you from your extended family at the Ramada Maingate West and please come back to visit us again soon!
Harrogate, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

We arrived for our 15 night stay, and were greeted that musty smell, you've heard about in all of the reviews, but with an indoor pool, I expected as much and wasn't too bothered. The check-in service was fine and any minor issues (like the safe not working) were dealt with very quickly. The location was perfect for Disney and we used the free shuttle to get around.

This is a very old building - I loved the character of the place, I really felt like I was on an old, abandoned movie set. The suite of three rooms we had was amazing! Sadly things were a little damp and jaded. Faded splendour was all around us, and as much as I truly wanted to love the place - sadly I just had to admit that it was just a little too shabby and run-down.

The food was very average and one of the four beds in our three rooms was damp, the ceiling on our landing was leaking like a colandar and falling to bits and the general appearence of the place was very tired.

The rooms were unbelievably quite, the old but excellent quality carpet, meant that the footfall on the landing was not heard once inside our room.

I did feel like the staff were doing their best, but you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear! The Asst FO Manager, Sam Haddad was helpful, even reassuring me before our trip - and ensuring that our rooms were as good as they could be - this guy deserves a mention for his friendly, helpful and caring nature.

Would I stay here again? Well, actually, I just might! I would love to see this place bought back to it's former glory. As we left, the pool area was getting a lick of paint and efforts were being made. I feel like there's a mountain to climb though, and the character of the place was such, that too much modernisation would spoil it. I feel sorry for the management - they have a huge task to keep this large hotel ticking over, and I did feel like they were trying thier best, but perhaps fighting a losing battle most days!!

I'm an incurable romatic though, and loved this old hotel inspite of it's flaws - if you are looking for perfection, keep away from this hotel - avoid it like the plague. If you can look through rose coloured spectacles, and appreciate the good in this old building and try to ignore the bad, then it's a reasonable place to stay. I was on holiday to enjoy Disney world - not to sit in my hotel room. As a place to lay my head it was clean and comfortable, if a little old and crumbly!!

Room Tip: Choose a room that doesn't overlook the indoor pool - our rooms were quiet and away from the noi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Dear AuntieHattie: We are pleased to hear you were pleased with our staff and Asst. Front Office Manager Sam. Your comments are sincerely appreciated and we take guest comments seriously. We are always making improvements to ensure an excellent guest experience. Thank you and we look forward to your next stay with us soon!
west florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

I booked this through the "secret" hotel feature of Travelocity and so, I didn't know where we would be staying until after I paid for it. Based on reviews here, I would have never booked it on my own.
We got a great price, the room was clean, the kids loved the indoor pool (it was raining), and we experienced no problems whatsoever. If you think RAMADA= Marriott, you are wrong. This is an older property that is in need of some cosmetic work but our experience was very positive.
I asked for a bottom floor room since we travel with a young lady with a wheelchair. I got a room by the side entrance, right by the atrium, indoor pool, etc.
I am very price conscious. My loyalty is to my wallet. But at these rates, we will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear poppo4daboys: Thank you for your review. We are continuously improving our facilities and we sincerely appreciate your comments. We look forward to your next stay with us. Thank you, once again, from your extended family at the Ramada Maingate West!

Been to Ramada Kissimmee Maingate West? Share your experiences!