“Stay away from here” 1 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   4951 Calypso Cay Way, Kissimmee, FL 34746   |
Tampa
“Stay away from here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I exchanged my week through interval so my family could stay here, I stay at the lakes, when I was asked how was the resort they asked me to come and see for myself, felt terrible as I was the one that booked it.. I booked a one bedroom with a pull out queen size sofa. Bed and pillows were hard, totally outdated with an old television, there was some mold in the bathroom, wall paper outdated and coming off, the refrigerator had a big dent on it. I can't believe they book room in those conditions. Will never stay here again. Terrible. stay away from here.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Atlantic City, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

I was staying in the condos with my 2 kids and my boyfirend in the condos closest to the pool,the walk way was extremly dirty s well as the room, you must be putting guest in dirty rooms that the housekeeper thought was clean from previous guest. I went to the spanish male,front office manager of resort and he brushed it off and said that he cant do anything abouty it and he is extremly busy,he basically brushed me off,what he was really doing was trying to eat his lunch and felt i interupted him,as he flirted with the young front desk agent. I believe customer satisfaction is first than food and personal things 2nd. He needs a class on hospitality and how to have ethics at work. Horible place,cleaners and manager.

Room Tip: never stay at this place they dont care anymore about thier guest,just about young girls and lunch
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed in the Villas, huge unit with 4 bedrooms one had bunk beds. We had multiple calls to maintenance to work on the TV/Sound system, old and cheap equipment, however, maintenance was very prompt and worked on the problem until it was fixed. The couch was missing the back cushions. My biggest issue was that the floors were filthy, my little girls feet were black in a matter of minutes of running around barefoot. It was at best "Motel Quality" not what we are used to staying at. The pools were nice but keep in mind you have to walk accross the street to access it and the playground.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at the Calypso Cay Villas this past October 2013, from the moment I checked in everyone was super nice and very welcoming. I had an issue with the ice maker on the second day as soon as I called frontdesk the lady called the maintenance guy and he came to my room super fast and made sure it was fixed and I was happy. The pools are great and the food and everyone allways has a smile on their face which is very refreshing. I will definately come again.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

We were told that this would be a 5 star hotel and we would be seeing a 90 min presentation. This was not five stars. Of course, full of lies!!!!! Not a good experience stay away from this place.

The room was dirty, the cleaning people did not use a vacuum, at least the ones my husband saw. we have been back for a few days and now we are breaking out in bug bites.

I remember in my check-in that a lady ahead of me was complaining about bed bugs. I thought we were ok, until now. I learned that you may not react to bed bug bites for 7 to 10 days after the bite. So we were definately in that hotel.

The only people that gave us good customer service was the spanish lady at the breakfast area.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 608!!!!
Seville, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I´m gonna spend some time to warn you about this kind of mafia-hotel
We bought a 5 days stay package over the internet. Upon arrival to the hotel, we were told to go to a welcome center for the check in. Once in there, the not very nice person at the counter told us that we had to attend a commercial presentation the next mornig, asked us to provide a credit card and warned us that if we fail to attend the presentation we would be charge $350 as a penalty. I told the guy that we just booked the 5 nights stay and let him know that no one told us anything about such a presentation and the related penalty when we bought the package. I kept a copy of the purchase conditions with me where absolutely nothing was mentioned about such a presentation, but the not very nice person told us, despite all that, that he will not give us any room key unless we accept the conditions imposed by them, to say, the commitment to attend the 90 minutes presentation or, instead, the payment of the $350 penalty. Obviously I told him we were not going to accept the, until that very moment, new conditions, and that we just wanted what we paid for. He stood firm on not providing a room to us, and he insisted that if we didn´t want to attend the presentation we could just pay those $350.
I managed to make him call NEWPORT MARKETING in Miami, what it was suppossed to check our real purchase conditions and solve the issue, but we were on hold at the phone for more than one hour. Now I believe he just made a phone call to a telephone number he knew nobody was going to answer.
Meanwhile some other clients were arriving to the welcome center and they were told exactly the same we were told, with a difference: all of them had, in black and white, the proper information about the commercial presentation and the $350 penalty.
As we were travelling with a little boy and it was already 09:00 PM, I decided to sign the voucher for those $350 and call my bank the next morning to reject the charge. That easy. So this guy finally gave us the room key for the COUNTRY INN hotel, which appears to be part of the CALYPSO CAY RESORT.
More surprises: we were then informed about an extra charge of $15 per day for whatever the reason, plus the taxes. Additionally, a $15 additional charge per day for room cleaning and towels replacement, or $10 per day in case of just room cleaning without towels replacement.

Yeah, the room was HORRIBLE. Our purchase conditions said that we had to have a SUITE, but the room was an standard one. Down in the counter, the hotel staff argued that they didn´t have such an information and despite the fact that I made him check our conditions, they prefer to ignore it and told us that, anyway, they didn´t have any suite available. Liers!!
The room smelled wierd, humid, dark and very dirty. The A/C device sounded like a train. Before going to sleep we saw in the bathroom the biggest cockroach we´ve ever seen. We exterminated it and the next morning a huge line of ants coming from underneath the carpet were devouring the dead cockroach to the point that very little of it was left. DISGUSTING!! Cockroaches and ants under the carpet, all around...

Hotel staff: unfriendly, unpleasant, not helpfull at all... Only the spanish ladies in the breakfast room were charming and helpfull..

Breakfast: real limited. Kind of nasty scrambled eggs, grease,... Far from healthy, but enough to survive a few days.

INTERNET: thay stated they have fast wifi internet conditions but upon arrival we were told that the WIFI was under maintenance and that it would be available the next mornig. Well, only if you were at the hotel hall you could have a kind of terrible slow internet conection. Forget about WIFI in the rooms.

Hotel location: midway between the Universal parks and the Disney parks, wich is not bad, but there are plenty of Hotels ans Motels all around the area. Bad thing is that nothing is close to the Hotel as to walk. You really need a car.
Some other hotels are walking distance to grocery stores, restaurants, etc. But no Calypso Cay

More on the commercial presentation: early in the morning the next day, as I woke up early, I went to the "presentation" center to make them see that we were not suppossed to attend any presentation as it was not part of our purchase contract. Again we crashed against a wall. They didn´t care at all about it; They simple didn´t want to listen. Everything they wanted was those $350 penalty. They were so stup... that it didn´t seem they were understanding that they were not going to get absolutely nothing from a family forced to attend any presentation to sell us whatever they wanted to sell. So silly that everything they were to get out of us was a negative feedback in the internet but it seemed that they didn´t care about it. They act just like robots, with no brain, with no humanity signs.

As Magic Kingdom was closing at 00:00 that day, to avoid further problems, we decided to let them give us the "presentation". As we were introduced the person who was going to give us the presentation, we just let her know that she was going to waste her time and explained to her the whole story. Obviously she understood that the whole thing didn´t make any sense and tried to shorten the "presentation" that we ignoring so much that the situation became so tense that we were finally allowed to leave with no penalty.

FINAL CONCLUSION: Guys, do not dare to spend a single minute in CALYPSO CAY. Everything and everybody is focussed in getting you buying one of those vacation share packages, what, in addition, and according to what we were said by some clients, is a fraud.
Be aware of the internet offers as you finally end up paying 33% more than you initially paid, forced to a presentation and not getting what you believed you paid for. That is what happened to us. If we would have gone to one of the nice hotels all around the area, we would have saved as much as 30%, and with much better living conditions.

I´ve checked the Hotel feedbacks in TRIPADVISOR and I´m absolutely convinced that the very few positive feedbacks about this hotel are written down by people interested in counteract the many negative feedbacks people can read. It´s very, very clear. It´s almost impossible to say just one positive thing of this hotel, not to say everything positive, like I have read in here.

We are on our late 40´s and I can say that we have travelled a lot. With all our travelling experiences along all these years I can only say: STAY AWAY FROM CALYPSO CAY!!! PEOPLE, STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!

West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Great place to stay if you want to save money. We stayed for free with Carlson points but heard someone got a room for $79 with AAA. There is a hotel and a timeshare. We stayed at the hotel so no feedback on timeshare building.

They offer a free limited shuttle to Disney. Also offer insite welcome center with staff.

The hotel and room was clean. Staff friendly. Free Breakfast was decent. On site tiki bar has great prices for food. Only warning/complaint is Alcohol is expensive and very little in frozen drink.

We stayed the first day on the hotel grounds and enjoyed the pools, water slides, and mini golf course. Heard they did some renovations in 2013.

Didn't expect much (based on reviews) but was satisfied for the price.

Stayed October 2013

Been to Calypso Cay Suites? Share your experiences!