“Rip Off” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Cork, Ireland
“Rip Off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I cannot stress how much I would advise people against going here. I went here with 3 other people yesterday evening - we had planned to go elsewhere so hadn't had a chance to look this place up on Trip Advisor - and we were completely ripped off. We went with the a la carte menu and ordered 1 starter, 4 mains, 2 beers, wine (btl) and rice. The bill came to over $240 dollars, including a service charge of 20% for a server who barely speak English and didn't bring us what we ordered. The shared starter was fine, nothing amazing, but not bad. We ordered 2 chicken, 1 beef and 1 vegetarian main courses - both chicken dishes were extremely dry and overcooked, a far cry from the usual moist Indian dishes. The sauce for both the Tikka Masala and the Butter Chicken tasted the same and even before we received the bill, we had concluded that they tasted as if they came from the same jar. We asked to share the rice because we felt @ $8.99 per portion, it was quite expensive. The server told us rice was included and didn't understand our order of 2 portions (or ignored it) and brought us 4 portions, for which we were charged. Furthermore dishes arrived at different times. We did challenge the bill with the server but got absolutely no satisfaction. All she did was defend the service charge (which amounted to over $30), which wasn't even what we were angry about. There are so many better restaurants than this excuse for an Indian. Do not go here.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

37% Recommend
Bathgate, United Kingdom
“Just OK!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This restaurant looks a bit shabby from the outside, and is more like a works canteen inside.
The buffet, at $19.95 was very limited, and not very appealing.
We, therefore, chose from the main menu, and although the food was OK, it was nothing to rave about.
One issue was that 2 of us asked to share a chicken pakora starter, costing about $6, the portion looked big, and so it should, when we saw they had charged us for a main meal, at $17.95!
We won't rush back, in fact, we just won't be back!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Way Below Average”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I had to post this review before several attempts trying to get the owner’s email address, so that I can send him this private message, but the clueless and unprofessional manager kept hanging up on me and refused to give me the owner’s contact. The email address listed on Apna Punjab website did not work and my message kept coming back as undelivered. Here is the message I was trying to send to the owner:
Greetings,
I am hoping that this message reaches the owner of Apna Punjab. My name is Khalid, my family and I had dinner at your restaurant on Sunday, September , 2013. I just wanted to tell you a little about my experience dining at your place. We were staying in one of the area hotels and we decided to go out for dinner that evening when we stumbled upon your restaurant. We love Indian food and since we haven’t had one for a long time we thought this will be the perfect place. We also had a show to catch and we were short on time and the dinner buffet was something we could have in a hurry without having to order from the regular menu. When we looked at the buffet selection, it was very limited, not many choices. About 6 to 8 trays. But we decided to stay anyway. I made a plate for myself and another one for my wife. The food was below average. I continued to eat as I was hungry, while my wife stopped after the second or third bite. The food was basic and tasteless. For the kids we ordered chicken nuggets and fries. My wife requested some butter to spread on the nan bread and that was the only thing that she ate. They were empty trays in the cold section that were not filled, such as the salad and water melon. When asked for the check, I was shocked to find out that the price of the buffet was $20.00 per person. The whole bill with drinks came out to $80.00. I have been to many Indian buffet restaurants with wide range and various selections of dishes and none of them charge $20 dollars. Your place had only one type of meat and it was chicken. Paying $20.00 for just chicken and vegetables and no salad that way overpriced. I’ve paid $50.00 for a buffet meal and went back to that restaurant, because the quality of the food and the variety worth $50.00. I spoke to the manager and told him how I felt paying for a below average meal $20.00, he said that there is nothing he could do and he will tell the owner. Another guest who happened to feel the same way about the overpriced meal began to express his opinion. The manager answered was, “ Now, when someone complains, everyone is going to start complaining.” He continued to say that the whole day no one complained about the food or the price of the food. I worked in the restaurant business for many years there is pne thing that a restaurant manager should be doing, is speaking to customers that way. I managed some of upscale New York City restaurants, now I am a restaurant owner myself. We always value our guests’ criticism and we always strive to satisfy our customers even when they are wrong and unreasonable. I decided to send you this email, because I relate to you as a restaurant owner and wanted for your restaurant to have a better management. Someone who cares about the place and customers. The current manager is just hurting your business and does not have any managing skills. I understand that your restaurant does most of its business with tourists because of its location and probably, you will never see these customers again, but we live in times where people check out the reviews before they go out to eat. If every unhappy customer posted a negative review online, you won’t have those tourists either coming to Apna Punjab. By the way, I checked the reviews only on Urban spoon and I found so many negative reviews from unhappy guests at your place. One of them happened to be from the gentleman that was at the same time when I was there. It is dated September 1. Please, be advised that I have nothing to gain from writing this letter. All I wanted, is that your restaurant fixes these problems (better selection of food and reasonable pricing, in addition to better management.)

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Tampa, Florida
“Worst Indian Rt. in the World!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I put 1 star because is required. This place sucks!! This is the WORST INDIAN RESTAURANT EVER AND OVERLY EXPENSIVE. I have been to indian Rts in Spain, Italy, Switzerland, the US (right here in FL, in Miami, and in Brandon (Tampa area) to be specific) and this is not only the worst quality ever but also overly expensive.
My wife, my kid (I paid $9 to have chicken nuggets and fries) and me ate 1 dish each only and ended up paying $91!!! They charged us $18 for 2 pints of beer!!
Run away from this Rt before you feel ripped off as I do now.
Worst price-quality relationship for an Indian Rt. that I've seen in my life!! And again, I love indian food and know a bit about it.
AVOID THIS PLACE, SERIOUSLY!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“food was good but portion size to small and expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

we never sat in restaurant as ordered a take out but when we got back the portion size is just way to small for the price for $17.95 for just one curry if went back to orlando would give this a miss as it to expensive for what your getting

• Visited July 2013