“Nice Resort with Friendly Staff” 3 of 5 stars

You added Vacation Village at Parkway to your Saves list
Vacation Village at Parkway
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   2949 Arabian Knights Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
Port St. Lucie
“Nice Resort with Friendly Staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2007

We’ve stayed at Vacation Village at Parkway three times in the past year and half on RCI exchanges.

1st visit July 2005 - Two adults and two children. We stayed in building nine on the second floor in a unit B partial kitchen. Parking was limited, they had part of the parking lot gated off, they were working on phase three. I knew that this would be a small unit and it was. The kitchen area has a full refrigerator, no stove, no dishwasher, but has a convention microware oven combination. The area was small with a single sink and small counter space. Building 9 and 10 are built in a V shape. This causes the noise from the pool area to echo. Our second floor room faced the pool. Between the spotlights that shine from the rooftops on the 7th floor, the sounds of people having fun at the pool, and the music that is played at the pool, it’s very difficult to sleep before 11:30 pm. The pool is cleared out and they turn off the spotlights at this time. When I was watching the TV in the bedroom the remote control interacted with the TV in the living room. You will have to close the bedroom doors when watching TV. The unit was not soundproofed. One morning as I was lying in bed and I heard a person in the unit next to us sneeze, I said bless you and he said thank you. We continuous heard noises from above and water run from the pipes, if you are a light sleeper this may bother you. We couldn’t get hot water. I heated water in the microwave to wash the dishes. Showers were luke warm. I had a visit from the maintenance dept. because the people in unit A complained that their a/c was not cooling, I was told that I needed to keep my a/c on 72, because unit A & B shared air handlers. On the third day the pool water looked green, I asked the pool guy if something was wrong with the water, he said that it was the reflection of the foliage. As a pool owner I knew something was wrong. We decided to walk over and use the pools at phase one. They have a great area including two pools, a mushroom pool, BBQ grills, a large playground, and a natural path (my youngest son loved feeding the fish, turtles and ducks here). On the fourth day the water was definitely green. I was shocked to see that they were allowing children in the pool. Later that night when we returned from Disney they had the pool roped off. They drained the pool on the fifth day and the pool was closed for the remainder of our stay. We didn’t mind, we were able to sleep easier and we liked the pool area at phase one better, I hope that the children who were playing in the pool with such green water didn’t get sick. Our unit had a VCR. VCR and DVD movies are available free at the registration office with a $5 deposit. The BBQ grills require a $25 deposit. Overall the only complains I had was the lack of soundproofing and hot water. This did not interfere with our vacation..

2nd stay June 2006 - One adult and one child. . We stayed in phase one, building four in a B unit on the fourth floor facing the parking lot. Soundproofing was much better. I’m a light sleeper and the noises I heard did not infer with sleeping. We had plenty of hot water. Changes since our last stay the BBQ grill keys and equipments do not require a deposit and can be signed out at the pool area. My son loved roasting marshmallows nightly. Phase three buildings are completed and the second natural walk is open. An activity center is open and is in a trailer located next to building six. The Internet room was moved to the arcade room and added more computers from 3 to 6.

3rd stay Dec. 2006 - One adult and one child. We stayed in phase one, building four in a B unit facing the playground on the sixth floor. I was missing dish detergent, soap and dishtowels. I called housekeeping and within a few minutes I had all the soap we needed. Only one complain, I’m allergic to onions and the people in unit A were cooking onions and I had a reaction, but I always travel with Benadry. I guess since units share air condition handles cooking smells travel within units.

This resort has the worst design. The hallways are enclosed. Just think when everyone is cooking the smells travels within each other’s units and into the hallways. The hallways are dark and smells (see photo). They are carpeted except for the first floor, which is tiled, do not stay on 1st floor unless you don’t mind listing to luggage carts rolling on tile flooring. The road needs resurffing. The registration office is nearly a 1/2 mile from building 7. The pools are step-down entry only no zero entry pools or handicap lifts. The basketball court is not a court at all it’s the side parking lot of the registration office. They don’t check guests at the pools. Lack of security - this is not a gated resort. Anyone can enter the pool area and the buildings. However after six pm you will need a key to enter buildings. You can’t check out board games from the activity center. Rooms are getting dated, you can see in photos that the carpet is getting worn and lifting up and the bathroom bottom vanity is warping. The positive sides the location is great, love the natural walks, friendly staff, large playground, gas BBQ grills, nice workout and Internet room. I would not buy here, but would definitely stay here again. Resort is clean and the staff are friendly.

• Stayed December 2006

1,363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Seattle area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

Our family of 4 stayed for a week as a timeshare trade and we were more than satisfied with our time at VV at Parkway. My husband would probably give the gym a less than stellar review (too small) but other than that, thumbs up all the way. The pools are warm and not too crowded, plenty of lounge chairs all around, approximately 5-6 "activities" each day, ranging from ping-pong tourneys, to free snow cones poolside, to bingo, to scavenger hunts. Helpful, enthusiastic staff, although we didn't have much reason to call on them since almost everything was to our liking. Oh, one more complaint, no hair products (shampoo) in the bathrooms, although I'm not sure that is standard in this type of accommodation. Big-screen TV in our living room!

The internet room contained about 7 computers, and depending on the time of day, was either completely empty or standing room only with teens taking turns checking their MySpace pages and messaging with friends back home. Great location close to I-4 and the Disney parks, and less than a mile from the great little town of Celebration, a must-see sort of Disneyesque burg with beautiful homes which look like classic reproductions. Drive through and check it out! Also, the Kobe Japanese Steak House less than a block from the resort was fantastic! Teppanyaki style cook-at-your-table fare - extremely entertaining and yummy.

• Liked — Activities
  • Tips/Secrets — Kobe Japanese Steak House less than a block away
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
chris in lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2006

We found PARKWAY to be very clean and the guest service was brilliant....for instance..when we arrived at our appartment we didn't have enough hangers in the wardrobe, we telephoned the service desk and 10 minutes later our extra hangers appeared.
Disney is only a 5 minute drive away and the ARABIAN NIGHTS SHOW is straight across the road.
HIGHWAY 192 is the place to find eating places, with buffets costing $25 for two and all you can eat. BEWARE.....We got ourselves into a timeshare meeting and it was arrendous, so if you get asked kindly refuse.
This was our first trip to FLORIDA and would recommend THE PARKWAY, we would certainly go back again, in fact we hope to go again in 2007.
FINALLY A CAR IS A MUST AND WITH PETROL ABOUT A £1 A GALLON YOU CAN'T GO WRONG.
HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!!!

• Liked — location and quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — buy discount tickets from "bobbys world" for disney..location on 192 next to pizza hut at Old Town.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
green bay, wi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2006

Excellent, large, clean rooms with lots of extras. Pool was nice, although not great for kids. Great place for kids. Excellent location.

• Liked — Clean, large, location
  • Disliked — parking
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2006

The property and the room look terrific, but the proof is in the details. The furniture was faux wood (read: plastic) that reminded me of the assemble-it-yourself furniture my brother got at Wal-Mart for his condominium. The bathroom was big, but the towels felt like sandpaper, the showerhead was one of those that Home Depot sells for $2.99 and the water pressure was little more than a trickle. However, the worst part was the bed and pillows. They were way too hard and something I'd expect at Motel 6. I stayed there for 3 nights and didn't sleep well at all. When it comes to grading a hotel, it's all about the bed. The bed, the bed, the bed. For me, the Marriott chain sets the standard in bedding. Their mattresses and pillows are plush but supportive. Moreover, their bath towels are thick and soft and they have adjustable showerheads. I've stayed in many 3- and 4-star Marriotts that provide a much higher quality of furnishings and bedding than this so-called 5-star Vacation Village time-share resort. Do yourself a favor. Book a Marriott (or other high-quality hotel - I'm not employed by Marriott) rather than stay at Vacation Village. Their meat isn't as good as their sizzle.

• Liked — Proximity to Disneyworld
  • Disliked — The bedding, furnishings, bath towels, shower
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2006

We stayed in a 2 bedroom at the Vacation Village Parkway from 10/22 - 11/4/06. What a great place!!!!! We won a bid on Skyauction for $520 for both weeks and boy was it worth it. We had both the A and B units and had more space than we needed. It was great to spread out. The units were stocked with everything we needed right down to a blender and coffeemaker. The grounds were absolutely beautiful. We were in building 12, (Room 12601) and faced the nature preserve area. It was so great to wake up in the morning and watch the wildlife from the patios. We would definitely stay here again if the opportunity came up!

• Liked — Units were spacious and had everything we needed.
  • Disliked — Parking was a bit of a hassle
  • Tips/Secrets — Skyauction is the best deal for this property!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2006

We stayed at this resort from September 9-16th. The entire time we were there, we had no trouble.

My boyfriend, being paranoid as he is, made me call the resort as soon as we touched down in the airport because he was scared that our delayed flight made it difficult to check in. The person on the other end of the line reassured me that the front desk was 24 hours and to take our time and they would be waiting for us.

After picking up the rental car, we drove down to the resort. It really wasn't that far away....maybe about 15-20 minutes. There is construction going on by the exit right by the hotel, but the directions that were provided to us by the resort were right on the dot in getting us there. We checked in at the first desk and were promptly helped. They ushered us over to the second desk. I assume this is where they try to sell you a timeshare like I have read about. However, all they asked us was how we got the reservations. We had gotten them through a military website so that is what we informed them. After hearing that, they thanked us and told us to enjoy our stay. They didn't even mention timeshares to us at all.

Upon arriving to our room, we entered into a large, beautiful and clean room. We had the A side with the full kitchen. I will eventually be attaching photos that I took of the room right after we got there.

Our second evening there, we came back to the room to find a message waiting for us. Thinking this had to do with the timeshare that they never asked about, I checked it. However, it was someone from the desk who had called to make sure everything was okay with our room and to see if we needed anything. Now, maybe if we would have answered, they may have said something about timeshares, but we will never know.

We did have a problem one morning where we opened up under the sink and found a bug. My boyfriend thinks it was a roach but I thought it was a waterbug. Regardless, we called the front desk and reported it. They told us maintenance would be up to take care of it. True to their word, maintenance showed up less than 5 minutes after I made the call. He came in and did an inspection and got rid of the sole bug we found. Within a minute after he left, I received a call from the front desk asking if the maintenance person showed up and if I had any other problems or concerns. I was very impressed by that. I can understand how a bug can get into places. That isn't uncommon. However, there were absolutely no signs of infestation and the matter was handled very professionally in less than 10 minutes.

Other than that very minor incident, the week went by very uneventful. We used the washing and dryer machines in the room which worked pretty well. We also used the jacuzzi. We had gone to walmart and got some disinfectant spray to spray down the jacuzzi since the last time we stayed at a place where there was a jacuzzi, I came home with a UTI. I definitely recommend spraying the jacuzzi down before you use it.

In previous reviews, I saw a lot about the construction. Now we stayed in one of the newer buildings with a lovely balcony view of the construction. However, I do have to say that not once during the entire week did we hear any noise from the site. We were usually up by 7am, however we did come back to the room one afternoon for a 3pm nap. Still, there was no noise that we heard.

I only really had two complaints about the resort which are really mild. First of all, the trash cans are very small and there were only two provided. Being that the room only gets cleaned once in the week that we stayed, we always seemed to have an overfilled trash bin. Secondly, there was only internet access in the main building down at the main building. We had brought a computer since I was taking an MBA class at the time of our trip and needed to complete a project. Since we couldn't access any internet in the room, we had to go down to the computers that were provided. Unfortunately, Java was blocked on their computers so we would have to go up to the room and get our laptop just to go back to the main building to set up in the internet lounge. Unfortunately, the internet lounge only have one outlet (the rest of the room is mirrors looking into the computer room and the workout room) so if someone else was using that outlet, we could only run on our battery for as long as it would hold.

Overall, we had a wonderful time at this resort and were very impressed and pleased. I would recommend this resort to just about anybody. We had an absolute blast!

• Liked — Professionalism, Big Room, Quiet, Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Internet availability, Trash can size
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Vacation Village at Parkway? Share your experiences!