“Far from the worst place I’ve stayed, but I won’t be going back.” 2 of 5 stars

You added Vacation Village at Parkway to your Saves list
Vacation Village at Parkway
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   2949 Arabian Knights Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
Calgary, Canada
“Far from the worst place I’ve stayed, but I won’t be going back.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I actually exchanged into here from an “associate” property. What I was assigned was a very old & worn unit in the first blocks built in this complex … and clearly it had never been upgraded. The hallway carpets were very worn. The old arborite kitchen counter tops had burns marks from where people had obviously placed a hot pot or pan. And these weren’t new marks, they were obviously many years old. But they did try hide the marks with a blender; I guess they need to find bigger blenders for that to work. The doors to our unit were old and damaged. They scraped and made loud noises when opened & closed. And the secondary lock on the door had been forced off in the past and was hanging loosely by a couple screws. The patio door didn’t lock … not a major concern on the 3rd floor, but obviously not the best security system.

Even though the resort was almost empty we had neighbors beside us for the first couple days (2 adults & 4 kids in a studio unit!). The walls were anything but soundproof; you could hear their TV quite loudly as well as the people talking & shouting. They were still making noise and pounding on doors at 1:30 AM, but I was told by the front desk there was nothing they could do about that.

The rest of the week we had people above us and you could hear every step they made and every time they moved a chair or dropped anything on the floor. And the sound travelled through the concrete so that in the bedroom you could hear them in the living room or kitchen above.

The bathroom layout was very odd. It was huge (larger than some bedrooms), but not much in it. Double sinks a toilet and a very small shower, and LOTS of empty floor space. The tub, a Jacuzzi, was in the bedroom. Fine for 2 of us, but would be awkward with more people if they wanted more than a shower (and there would have been plenty of room for another tub in the bathroom).

I tried to turn down the sales presentation, but after over 10 minutes of saying no to the guy at the desk it was obvious that if I wanted my parking pass I would have to attend the breakfast (including paying the $20 deposit). The sales person, in an effort to try get me to buy a unit, said they kept the good units for the actual owners and that people renting or exchanging got the crap (his words, not mine). If this is true (which it seemed to be in my case) that is great if you are an owner, not a good recommendation for anyone else.

The good parts of the unit were, first, location, location, location. It has quick access to I-4, Toll 417 & US 192 and it is literally across the road (freeway) from Disney. Second, the unit was large and most things worked even if they were old & noisy.

Far from the worst place I’ve stayed, but I won’t be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We regret that our resort didn’t meet your expectations and we appreciate your comments as they help us decide which areas of service need improvement. We work hard in providing an excellent vacation experience for guests and most of the time we’re successful. We hope that you’ll reconsider and stay with us again so that we may have an opportunity to prove why so many travelers prefer Vacation Village at Parkway as their Orlando vacation destination.

1,343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Federal Way, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

When checking in, I was charged a $25 resort fee. While they claim that this includes a shuttle service, the extremely limited schedule was non-functional for any day at Disney. It was highly likely that we would miss one of these <5 runs each way per day and would get stuck paying for a long cab ride. Upon registering for a parking permit, I was told that they wanted to give us a complimentary breakfast. Before I knew it, they were collecting $20 cash deposit and told me it was a timeshare unit preview and survey that would only take 20 minutes. We went to the breakfast on the property to find out it was "across the street". We waited 20 minutes for our "guide" and then proceeded to spend another 20 minutes to drive an roundabout meandering path to the restaurant that was "across the street". We quickly ate while our guide chatted with us. At this point we were an hour in. I told her we were told it was only a 20 minute deal. She said it was a little longer and told us she was going to do a driving tour of the property, then a unit, then a pitch. I told her we were in a hurry. She took the direct route back to the hotel - about 2 minutes. We caught up to her in the parking lot and told her we were not interested in wasting any more time, so we forfeited our deposit and headed to the park.

The rooms are decent. Has all of the essentials and lots of room. There is a note stating that none of the dishes are sanitized, so we rewashed everything before use. Our bed had a big yellow stain on it, so the comforter spent the time on the floor. The sofa bed was thin and the mattress looked a little gross, so we used the blankets as additional sheets/padding and gave our daughter a blanket we packed. The mid-week cleaning was done well. The maid must have realized why we stripped the comforter because it stayed off of the bed. She arranged all our daughters stuffed animals nicely which thrilled my daughter. Our room was next to the pool support building which has a loud pump noise the entire time.

Overall, the proximity to the parks is great. Steer away from the breakfast and you should be fine.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience with us. We’re sorry that you were disappointed with some of the services provided. Our daily theme park shuttle services depart from the resort starting at 7:10 am through 12:15 pm. Guests can return to the resort on one of our shuttles beginning at 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. On days that Disney’s Magic Kingdom is open till 11:00 pm, our last shuttle service from the theme park will leave at 11:30 pm. We apologize for the experience that you had with Guest Services and have sent your comments to their management for their review. We hope that you will allow us a future opportunity to exceed all of your expectations and stay with us again the next time you vacation in Orlando.
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We had points expiring, but only a few and wanted to visit Disney World. Based on reviews on Trip Advisor, we chose Vacation Village at Parkway. We were not disappointed! The check-in went smoothly and the folks were friendly. The building's public areas and our room were nice and clean (very important to us!). The decor was tropical (not everyone's cup of tea) but not over-the-top. The linens were in good shape and the bet was comfortable. As there were only two of us, they gave us a "B" unit. A & B Units share a doorway off the main hallway into a vestibule where you use your key to enter either A or B unit. This is likely so larger parties can stay "with" each other. The B unit's kitchen is complete except for a dishwasher, albeit somewhat small. The cabinets were the inexpensive DIY type and the furniture has seen better days, but was not ratty. The TV's (although 2005 vintage) were not flat screens nor HD and the cable selection was mediocre. However we were out of the unit most days anyhow, so that was only a mild inconvenience. We were on the 6th (of 7) floor, which we feel always helps cut down on noise. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would come back should the opportunity present itself. Oh yes ... it's very near WDW, US-192 and I-4 so getting around was EZ!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed description of your stay at Vacation Village at Parkway Resort. We are sure your comments will help future guests get the most out of their own vacation. We’re so happy that you enjoy your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Vacation Village. It is off of I 4 close to Disney. We have stayed here before and would return again. We stayed in building 12. Check in took about 15 minutes which wasn't too bad. We declined the timeshare sales breakfast and were not bothered again. The 2 bedroom units are spacious but if you only have a B unit it would be small for a family of 4. There is no dishwasher or stove on the B side. The units were very clean. The pool area and grounds were maintained well. The cons are: 1. although you pay for wifi as a mandatory charge, it made us log in every time you used it and it asked you to pay extra for an upgrade. 2. On the day of checkout housekeeping was hulking our room at 8:30am even though checkout is 10am. 3. No restaurant on site.

After staying at other gold crown resorts in Orlando it is not comparable. I would give it a silver crown status. However I would return.

• Stayed December 2012
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
We appreciate the time you took to share your experience because guest feedback is an important part of improving our service. We also appreciate you pointing out the benefits of our amazing location and spacious accommodations. Thank you for choosing Vacation Village at Parkway again and we look forward to sharing our hospitality with you in the future.
Brasilia, DF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

If you are willing to spend a few days in Orlando in order to visit theme parks with your family this is a good choice of spacious, relaxed, accommodation.

Most of the apartments are a one bedroom/living room with kitchen type. All of the amenities of a kitchen must have, like dishes, cutlery, coffee maker, dishwasher, washing machine with dryer and fridge.

You should seek a recently built accommodation, in one of the higher number buildings (15, 16 and/or 17), those are one or two year old buildings, hence better.

The mattresses could be less soft, but at least did not cause and backaches!

Friendly staff was always there to help!

Room Tip: The best buildings are those recently constructed, it means higher numbers, for instance 15 and abov...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your recommendation of our resort on TripAdvisor. We truly care about the service we provide and we do everything we can to make our guest’s time with us exceptional. We’re happy that we could provide you with a great vacation and we look forward to welcoming you back again at Vacation Village at Parkway.
Turner Valey, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed in building 3. It was very clean and our room was nice and comfortable. The grounds are beautiful. The location of this hotel is 5 - 10 minutes from Disney. It's central to a lot of things. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I would recommend this place to anyone. We can't wait to go back. Oh and the pools are heated to 87 degrees. Very nice!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
vacationvillage, Guest Relations Manager at Vacation Village at Parkway, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Wow, thank you for the amazing review! We appreciate you pointing out our amenities and location that set us apart from other resorts in the area. Thank you for choosing Vacation Village at Parkway Resort for your vacation and we look forward to sharing our hospitality with you again the next time you’re in the area.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

All the negatives reviews made me uneasy when checking into this resort. Yes check-in line was long and staff was untrained but they were trying their best to accommodate. Yes, you need to pick up parking permit from across the lobby so they can invite you for a FREE brunch. If you are greedy, you will fall for the timeshare sales pitch and waste half a day. Since I read all the reviews before hand, I just politely declined the invite and the sales rep did not trouble me again.

The unit is very clean and the pool and hot tub are also very very clean although I did not see any staff cleaning the area but there were always clean towel available. I read in the review to bring your own toilet paper and it was untrue. We had mid-week maid service (included in the $25 internet cost). There were plenty rolls of toilet paper.

We requested a newer building so we got 16208 facing the pool. I would have given this resort a 5 stars if we did not need to use the sofabed. Sofabed in the A unit has blood stein which is disgusting . We had to drag the sofa bed mattress from unit B to double up then slept on the floor because the sofa bed is so uncomfortable. If you don't need a sofa bed, this will not be an issue at all.

Location was great. One tank of gas in a mini van lasted a full week, there goes to show you how central this place is. My advise is ignore the negative reviews , ask for newer building 16 - 19 and higher floor if you don't want the noise from the pool (yes music is loud all day but not annoying) . I am sure people wrote bad reviews were placed in the older buildings. Our two king beds were very comfortable and I am a very fussy sleeper. Internet was at good speed too and I don't mind paying $25 a week which cover mid-week maid service and all the activities although we did not use it. I will come back again as long as I don't need to look at the sofa bed.

We also have ensuite laundry with detergent supplied to us. If you have young children, this may not be the right resort for you because the two bedrooms unit are actually two completely separated suites. You won't be able to hear your children. A two bedroom unit is best for four adults only. I am glad we only have a fifth person using the sofa bed. We would be in big trouble if we think the unit can sleep 8.

Room Tip: Ask for building 16 and up, you should be safe.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed review We’re pleased to know that you enjoyed the resort but are very sorry for the condition of the sofa bed in your room. We normally receive high marks on cleanliness as you can see by our many TripAdvisor comments, and we ask that in the future to please report any housekeeping issues you see on the grounds to a member of the staff. We’re happy that you chose Vacation Village at Parkway Resort as your vacation destination and we hope that we may have an opportunity to welcome you back again the next time you are in Orlando.

Been to Vacation Village at Parkway? Share your experiences!