“Great location, great service, and great potential - some improvement needed.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vacation Village at Parkway

You added Vacation Village at Parkway to your Saves list
Vacation Village at Parkway
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   2949 Arabian Knights Blvd, Kissimmee, FL 34747   |
“Great location, great service, and great potential - some improvement needed.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

My husband and I stayed at V V at Parkway from 11/30/07 to 12/14/07 - a trip we had booked through RCI. At first we were unhappy with the room they had assigned us so we went back to the front desk and complained (told us the room had a pool view - it had a pool pump view). The indivuduals helping us at this point were very helpful and not only gave us a room with a better view, they gave us an upgrade which made our stay much more pleasant as we had friends coming and we needed the extra space. Special thanks to Jessica and her supervisor for this. Regarding the room and our overall stay. We had some complaints, mostly related to housekeeping, and some maintenance, but when all was said and done we had a great time, and we would recommend this place to most anyone. The place is not a palace but it is more than adequate. Decor is fine, space adequate, and the porches nice to have. Our first impression was "nice place" the only thing missing was greenery - not a plant in the place, no flowers (personally I like the plastic floral arrangements - they add an element of comfort and cozyness). Note that the buildings were being renovated individually during our stay as this was slow season (example building 12 was closed as was being "renovated"). Our building (#8) had not yet been renovated and did need some work: some furnishings needed replacement such as the coffee table was scratched up, bed linnens in need of replacement, and our mattress needed to be replaced (which they did promptly when we complained). My biggest complaint was with housekeeping - we were not impressed with this. I did complaine to house keeping staff regarding specific concerns (when I caught them in the halls), and they did come in and take care of some of my concerns, but not all. I question if they understood what I was saying as most of them spoke spanish. I should have called the front desk with ALL of my housekeeping concerns, but did not as I did not feel the concerns warrented this - my mistake. Housekeeping needs to look under the beds, behind furniture, and have a check list (micro wave had not been cleaned from previous visitor - this I called on). One gentleman, Marcelo was very efficient and helpful despite the language barrier. Thanks Marcelo - you deserve a raise. I mentioned earlier that I would recommend this place to MOST anyone - I would not recommend this resort to anyone wanting to do much sunbathing as the situation and height of the buildings block the sun for much of the day. Now to give you the good news. The resort is only 5/10 minutes from Disney, the units are very nice, and I suspect they will be even better once all are renovated, washer and dryers are a plus, and can manage a reasonable size load. The resort provides you with ample paper goods and dish washer soap, etc. (just ask), Most importantly, at least to me and my husband, the front desk staff was excellent - no call was ignored and no need not attended to. We would most certainly recommend this place to our friends, and would return in the future.

• Liked — Location, units very nice, and customer service - front desk staff very attentive and efficient.
  • Disliked — Limited sun at the pools, and housekeeping in need of improvement.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2007

Well where do I begin? From the moment we landed in Orlando, I was already thinking about things I wanted to remember to write in my review for Tripadvisor! Due to the extremely cheap airline tickets, we decided to return to Florida for another week even though we were just there for 2 weeks this past October. A couple of months ago we stayed at Silver Lake and Cypress Pointe and on previous visits we stayed at Westgate Villas and Summer Bay.

Check In
Before arriving in Orlando, I called long distance to the resort to request specific rooms. We had 2 x 2 BR units booked for our family, which consisted of my husband and I, our 2 young kids (2 and 8 mos) and my parents. I requested the rooms to be side by side, on the top floor and preferably facing the pool with possibly a view of the fireworks. My original e-mails were all ignored but the phone calls seemed to work. Crystal in reservations was very helpful, she told me she would book 2 rooms one across the hall from the other which was the best set up for proximity for our 2 rooms and she would put us on the top floor (7th floor). She mentioned that some of the rooms located on the top floor could hear the sound of the air conditioner unit located on the roof of each building. After reading reviews, it was really important to be on the top floor as I read about the lack of insulation at this resort and how you are able to hear noise from other units. I agree with other reviewers that the front desk didn’t seem all that with it. It was about 4pm when we were trying to check in (their check in time) and they told us one of our rooms was not ready. Okay, so moving along we got our keys and they told us to go to “Guest Services” to get our parking pass. Now the guy at this counter was way too friendly, RED FLAG went up right away. No matter what he says to you and how much he compliments you or your children, he is trying to get you to sign up for a timeshare presentation. My husband almost got suckered in, but just say NO and that will be the end of it for the rest of the week. If you do want cheap attraction tickets, I heard the breakfast was excellent and the presentation was not too bad.

Rooms
So as it turns out they put one of our 2BR units down the hall from the other. Luckily after a bit of complaining, they did manage to get us the unit directly across the hall. The room was not ready until 7pm and we had to call twice before someone brought us keys! We were in Building 8 room 8702 (facing pool) and 8701 (facing parking lot). My first impression when we walked up to the building was no sliding doors like Silver Lake. The lobby smelled and the elevator seemed ancient. Okay, I thought we will see what the room looks like. We went in and saw the larger “A” side first. My first impression of the room was that it was really small and not at all what I expected especially after looking at their floor plan and their description of over 1400 square feet of “luxury living space”. As we continued to explore, we kept saying to ourselves “We can’t believe this is an RCI Gold Crown Property” I mean what were they thinking!! I WAS DISAPPOINTED!! The room looked so cheaply put together, there were obvious signs of wear and tear. When I walked into the “B” unit there was a fruit loop in plain view lying in middle of the carpet. This was going to be my 2 year olds “house” for the week and I didn’t want her to eat it so I quickly kicked it under the TV. In the shower of the “A” unit, there was a long dark hair on the shower wall. Late than night when I was tucking my daughter in to sleep, I noticed a long dark hair on the wool blanket too. Now I am not super finicky as an avid camper etc. but it terms of cleanliness, I would have to say they need to put in a bit more effort. So in a nutshell, the negatives were: the couches and carpets looked really old and dirty and definitely have seen better days, the mattresses are terrible and were probably the original ones from when the resort was built decades ago? The kitchen was not stocked as well as other places we have been (ie we were given a bottom drip pan for the oven and the top grate was missing, no baking sheets etc.). This resort does NOT provide shampoo/conditioner or lotion. They only give you soap! Even Days Inn gives you shampoo, hard to believe an RCI Gold Crown property is too cheap to provide this!! Needless to say at this point, we did not have a very good first impression and I felt really bad after convincing my parents to come with us that this is where we ended up (we were here on an RCI exchange). We were complaining so much that finally we had to just say let’s just make the most if it.

BUT as time went on, the rooms and the resort itself started to really grow on us. My daughter loved the fact that she had her own “house” in the “B” unit. At home she loves to play kitchen, here she actually had her own washer/dryer, microwave, fridge and cooking supplies. She thought it was great. It also includes a burner for cooking, pots and pans, utensils etc. The “A” kitchen has everything the “B” unit has, plus a full size stove. The bathroom here also has a Jacuzzi and stand up shower. The bedrooms are an adequate size, TVs in every room and separate balconies for both the A and B units. For our family, having the A and B units worked well to contain noise when the kids were asleep. For larger families, this would mean added privacy instead of one big open concept unit.

Pool and Views
As you can see from pictures of Vacation Village, the way they have set up the buildings is often 2-3 tall buildings will surround a pool in the middle. This makes it very shady, not great for sun bathing. We didn’t mind since we tried to keep the kids in shade when possible, the pools were heated very nicely, they had Christmas music playing and the hot tub beside the pool was a great way to relax at the end of the day. The first time I sat in there, it made the entire stay at Vacation Village worth it!! The small complaints etc, seemed to melt away. We would return again to this resort for the pool alone. The pool now closes at 10pm and as other reviewers mentioned, kids are in there after Disney screaming their heads off. Sound really bounces off the walls so even though we were on the 7th floor, we could hear it. Not great if you have young kids like us when they go to bed at 7-8pm. Great for families who have older kids and would like to unwind after a day at Disney. There are also bright spot lights shining down into the pools, it didn’t bother us. When you’re in the pool, you realize why they do it – it makes you feel like you are in a tropical destination in middle of the day (palm trees etc. surround the pool, it is quite beautiful) when it is actually night time. My parents had the parking lot view and that suited them quite nicely. They enjoyed the bright sunshine coming into their unit each morning and it was also quieter, being away from the pool. I e-mailed a lot of people prior to arriving about fireworks and everyone said you can’t see them from this resort. Well let me tell you, you absolutely can! From our balcony, we enjoyed the Epcot fireworks every night. They were close and loud and you could see a lot of the show! There are several pools on site. Our pool between Bldgs 8 and 9 was the “quiet pool” where there were no organized activated. The activity pool was located near bldgs 5 and 6 I think. We visited there and it was much livelier.

Resort Grounds & Activities
Vacation Village puts so much effort into making their resort ground beautiful. On the first day we arrived, they put up Christmas inflatables all over the resort (Mickey, Santa, snowmen etc.) as well as Christmas lights in front of every building in the bushes. It was beautiful! There are lots of gas BBQs all over the resort to use free of charge, with picnic tables beside them. The Activity Centre offers use of a couple of Nintendo systems free of charge, foos ball, table tennis and videos to rent for free! On site, there is also a lovely nature preserve where you can feed the fish and ducks and see large snapping turtles. We didn’t discover this until much later in the week, wish we found it sooner! There is also a large children’s playground on site the kids all loved. It has wood chips for the ground, so make sure they bring running shoes. Vacation Village is located right beside Arabian Nights Dinner and Show. If you look around you can find a deal and pay around $25 per ticket and it was so worth it!! The kids will love the horse show and ours was Christmas themed. Dinner was great and wine and beer is included. It is a MUST SEE! You can literally walk there as it is a few steps from buildings 7,8 and 9.

Internet & Exercise Room
Near the main lobby you will find their business centre with about 7 computers (pretty new and fast) as well as a workout room with lots of treadmills, bikes and ellypticals. You can also have Wi-fi access on the 2nd and 3rd floor of buildings 8 and 9 and in the lobby of the business centre as well if you bring your own laptop. The business centre closes at 11pm and we never had issues getting a computer. When you log in, you will have a timed session of around 17-19 minutes and after that time it kicks you off. Etiquette is if someone is waiting, to get off and let them use it – otherwise just log on again and keep using.

All in all, we had a great stay at Vacation Village. Everything is close by within driving distance (Publix, Walmart, lots of food options) since you are right at 192 and 4. Maybe it was the week we visited but we had no issues with parking, but I could tell the resort was not at full capacity. I have to say that at the end of the week, I felt really, really sad to go – something I didn’t feel as much with the other resorts we stayed at. I only wish we could have stayed longer. It didn’t help that our 10:40am flight out of Orlando to Toronto was delayed about 10 hours and we sat in the airport all day while we could have been back at the resort relaxing by the pool. We would not hesitate in a heartbeat to stay at this resort again in the future. It is also very close to Disney. I gave this resort a 4 because I think they should spend more money on the actual units and upgrading their furniture and décor. This includes the carpets in the hall and elevator. Blankets and linen need to be thrown out and replaced with new ones. They should also pay closer attention to the cleaning. Please feel free to e-mail me any questions you may have, or if you need help planning your vacation in general. Good luck and have a great stay!

• Liked — Beautiful Resort Grounds and Great Location
  • Disliked — No shampoo/conditioner! Carpets, furniture etc. are old and dirty. Front Desk not always "with it".
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

My wife & I recently stayed at the Vacation Village at Parkway, and all went reasonably well. Check in went well, as long as you're aware of the "Breakfast Invitation," which is the standard Orlando Timeshare pitch, which we declined. The "B" room is huge, with a living room, large bedroom with jacuzzi, large bathroom, kitchen, and finally a washer / dryer combo. The room initially smelled very stale, almost like bacon, if that makes any sense, but quickly disappeared once we opened the sliding door to the small patio. There are several pools throughout the property, which we enjoyed, as they were heated and clean. Literally hundreds of restaurants in the immediate area to choose from. Not too many kids running around, but I think that's due to the timing of our vacation more than anything else. A car is a must for the area, yet there is a shuttle bus for the imediate area. The room was only cleaned once during our stay, which is to be expected, given the nature of the property. Overall, we enjoyed the experience, as long as you're not expecting a luxury resort.

Stayed November 2007
fort stewart, ga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

My husband is in the military and was home on vacation, we decided we wanted to do something nice for our 5 yr anniversary so I booked the stay at Vacation Village Parkway. The stay was excellent, the people were very nice/friendly, not at all pushy, the room was wonderful, it was exactly what we wanted. The only thing that was a slight inconvience was the vending machine in our building didn't work so we had to walk over to the next to get some drinks, but that wasn't a big deal at all. There's a wonderful Japanese steakhouse near by, it's a good distance to all the major Orlando attractions and was pretty easy to find. We deffinately plan to stay here again the next time we go to Orlando!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2007

For the purpose of enjoying the Disney parks, this is a perfect location. Resort was not crowded, was quiet, clean, well-furnished, large kitchen, washer/dryer, and nice decor. Plenty of shops and good eating establishments of all prices are close. Would highly recommend this resort for couples or families.

• Liked — kitchen and living area; location
  • Disliked — no wireless connection in room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

My family and I stayed here for three weeks from 9 October to 30 October 2007. We had both units A&B. I had read a number of reviews prior to our trip and some of them did concern me. As a result I e-mailed Vacation Village and put in some specific requests for our stay - most of which they were able to accomodate. We stayed at the end of a block which was handy for the stairs and meant we were close to the car park. It could be noisy facing the pool but we found with the patio doors closed the noise went. Likewise if you have noisy neighbours above it would be an issue due to the noise a tile floor makes - but again we did have any problems. The unti was clean and tidy. It was also useful to have a washer/drier in it especially on a three week trip. The lack of internet access was not a problem for us and there was only once when we had more than a 10 minute wait to use a pc in their internet room. October is a quiter month to visit and so I'm sure other issues may arise in busier months but we found our stay very pleasant. The location is great and close to all parks/shops/attractions. We will definitely stay here agian at some time.

• Liked — Such a central location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Clyde, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2007

We stayed at Vacation Village from 10/28/07 to 11/02/07 and had a great time. All we had to bring with us was our clothes and food. Everything else was provided (dish soap, dishwasher soap, clothes soap, garbage bags, bath soap, hair dryer, etc).

From reading previous reviews I was a little apprehensive, but it was all for naught. Was expecting it to be noisy, having to walk a pretty good distance to the parking lot and the staff to be pushy. None of that was true.

After checking in, we did get sent to Guest Services so we can get our parking pass and they did inform us of the "breakfast", but we politely declined and that was the end of it.

It was very clean and will more than likely stay here again for our next Disney trip. :)

• Liked — Close proximity to Disney
  • Disliked — Not sure. :)
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Vacation Village at Parkway? Share your experiences!