“DisneyWorld in May” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Art of Animation Resort

Save Saved
You added Disney's Art of Animation Resort to your Saves list
Disney's Art of Animation Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   1850 Century Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Kissimmee, FL 32830 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Ranked #6 of 156 hotels in Kissimmee
Red Deer, Canada
“DisneyWorld in May”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We went to DisneyWorld Mid May 2013 with friends. We booked our trips separately but requested our rooms be close to each other. Disney did not disappoint and had us in adjoining rooms. We were in The Little Mermaid section, on the ground floor facing the pool. We were concerned at first but realized that being a "family friendly" hotel, all people were asleep by 10:00 pm so there was no noise to be concerned about. The beds were extremely comfortable. After reading other reviews, we brought our own pillows, but found out that the complaints of the beding seemed to be overstated. The variety of pools was great and the cafeteria was good. The resort gift shop was huge. We brought our running shoes and ran around Hour Glass Lake a couple of times. It was great to be able to go over to Pop Century to have a look around that resort as well. The staff was helpful and accommodating. The rooms were very clean, the pools were fun but had plenty of chlorine. The decore of the resort was great and made you feel like you were part of the movies. The resort seems to be reasonably centrally located so the travel between the parks seemed fast and easy. The transit system was reliable and easy. Thank you for allowing us to have a wonderful vacation with great friends.

Room Tip: We were glad to have a room on the main level so that we did not have to drag our baggage or our pro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

2,461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (741)
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed here and at the Caribbean Beach Resort and this hotel wins hands down. The rooms were clean and fresh. Check in was bright and welcoming. We stayed in a mermaid themed room which was in the section furthest from check in. We quickly learned it was faster to walk across the parking lot when getting off the shuttle buses rather than walk through the resort.

I've heard this referred to as a budget resort, and it might be by Disney's pricing standards, but it doesn't feel like one.

The theme in the room was well executed. I loved the images of Ariel's grotto on the shower walls and the ocean floor carpet. It was a fun and bright room that was perfect for the young or young at heart.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Traveling with an avid Cars fan who was 6 years old, this place was literally Heaven on Earth. She loved everything in our Cars-themed room from the carpet to the bedspreads, to the Mater fold-down bed. The Mickey Mouse ears on the shampoo bottles and the Mickey Mouse imprinted on the bar soap were cute touches. Every day, our towels were shaped into Mickey Mouse ears, and the room was impeccably cleaned. Tons of clean linens daily, tight corners on the fresh bed sheets.

I've never had a better stay in a better resort. The Cozy Cone pool was just about the cutest thing ever. The full-size cars representing each and every character from Cars 1 were amazing. We probably took 100 pictures just of our resort.

It was very VERY handy to have a laundry facility right next to the pool that operated with room key access. I thought $2 a load was pretty average, and they even have machines you can buy detergent from. I do think they need to double their washers, as they were always running.

My only complaints were one of our three beds had a lumpy mattress that seemed to rise in the middle and go down towards both edges, as if it was already a little worn. Still very comfortable, as were the pillows.

I also thought parking was very very far away when you were arriving back from a long day at Disney. I would take the far parking if it meant they would have to sacrifice some of the resort theming to accommodate closer spots. I'd rather walk and keep the ambiance.

It was truly a beautiful resort. The arcade was fun and offered Cars, Nemo, and Little Mermaid prizes for even a small amount of points a child would earn playing games.

Make sure you take the time to walk through the entire resort. Check out the other areas such as Lion King, Little Mermaid, Nemo, and Cars. They're absolutely beautifully done and themed like I've never seen a resort do.

You will love this place, and I really recommend paying extra for a family suite if you can swing it. Our room was absolutely silent. We NEVER heard another family on either side of our room. We were the first room next to the elevator, and never heard a sound. I was impressed with the quietness of the rooms. I would recommend a top floor room facing the parking lot. The pool is open 24 hours, and believe me, there are people there all. night. long. It was very nice to have a kitchen table and four chairs to eat meals at. We ate all our breakfasts in our room, and it was nice for the first time ever to have tables to eat at.

While we were at the pool, we were utterly blown away with the attentiveness of the three lifeguards. A little boy started to struggle, and one dove in and pulled him out while he was choking out water and his dad was apologizing. They walk the pool continually, looking into the water to make sure kids are okay. I've never seen that, and was very impressed with how safety-conscious they were.

The cafeteria-style food court was typical, nothing to get excited about, and I compare the food basically to a Luby's or similar cafeteria. The pizza was 100% better than Planet Pizza at Hollywood Studios (yuck)! It was good, filling, and reasonably quick. We never had a problem finding a seat and the line was never more than 2 deep to pay.

Overall I'm giving this resort a 10/10. I think the mattresses could be changed and it would make it a perfect 100/100. Because of the mattresses, I'd give it a 97. It's not that bad.

Room Tip: Great for families; close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios; a 5-minute trip from parking lot to parkin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Renfrewshire, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

After extensive research on where to stay to visit Disney world we stayed in the Lion King family suites here and couldn't have chosen better. It's a new hotel so everything is new and nice! The suites are well designed for families- my husband and I had the proper bedroom and our children used the sofa bed and table bed (both of which go up and down in seconds). It was good having 2 bathrooms and the kitchenette was great for light breakfasts etc. Like all of Disneyworld it was very clean. The restaurant serves reasonable quality food (we were on the dining plan which I would definitely recommend) but does get really busy. We didn't eat here often as had booked lots of places in advance (again I would recommend doing this) There is a big Disney shop with plenty of choice and the pools are lovely- spacious and clean with plenty sun beds. The Disney transportation is great- we never waited more than about 10 minutes for a bus anywhere. At busy times you can always take a bus to the Pop Century resort across the bridge and walk back from there. There is ample car parking too if you have a car. We used our car to go to Universal mainly preferring the bus for convenience. If I was to go back to Disney I would definitely stay here again. We tended to go to the parks early and then come back to the room mid afternoon for a break and a freshen up. It was great to be able to close the bedroom door and get a break from hyper children! Both rooms had their own TV so kids were never bored- not that you ever would be in Disney! I would normally chose the most luxurious accommodation I could find but I went for the suite in this so called value resort and was glad I did.

Room Tip: Lion King suites are closest to main building. Ask for a lake view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We recently stayed for six nights at Disney's Art of Animation Resort. Art of Animation is Disney's newest value resort (opened 2012) and is located in the same area as their other value resorts.

As with all Disney World resorts, Disney's Magical Express service is included with your reservation. Disney pick you up from Orlando International Airport and drop you at your resort, and also return you to the airport on your day of checkout. And if you receive your special yellow bag tags from Disney before your arrival, you can attach these to your bags and bypass the baggage carousel as Disney take care of collecting your bags (and they magically appear in your room a few hours after checkin).

Check in was fast and efficient and is located within Animation Hall. Although we didn't use the service, Disney do offer an online check in service where you can check in online a week or so prior to your arrival, and use an express queue upon arrival.

Art of Animation provides both suite and room accommodation. The suites buildings are divided into several different themed movies, and the rooms are included within three buildings themed around The Little Mermaid. No matter where your room is, the entire resort is bright and cheerful.

Although the value resorts are generally located further away from the theme parks than Disney's moderate and deluxe resorts, the travel time from Art of Animation to the theme parks
and Downtown Disney was more than acceptable. Buses depart to every theme park and Downtown Disney approximately every twenty minutes from the bus area which is located just outside Ink and Paint, the resort's gift shop.

Located off Animation Hall, Landscape of Flavors and the Ink and Paint shop are open between 6am and midnight. Landscape of Flavors serves breakfast, lunch and dinner through several different areas serving different food types. We found the food to be great quality and reasonably priced. And after a day of fun and shopping, what else does one do upon returning to the resort, but go shopping! The huge Ink and Paint shop has a great range of Disney shopping.

All in all, we had a great stay at Art of Animation and would highly recommend it for your trip to the Disney World resort!

Room Tip: We booked at disneyworld.com and chose the Magic Your Way package which included our park entry. Wit...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We decided we could go to Disney on a budget the first week of June, 2012. We had 4 adults and two grandchildren and we decided to stay in a suite at Disney's Art of Animation. It was the Nemo suite and it was only open for a week when we stayed there. For a value resort at Disney it had a really nice food court and the pool area was very large with a walk in side with fountains for the grandkids. It was new so everything was spotless but the design with the table bed and the couch bed were actually very comfortable. The separate bedroom and bathroom was also great for Grandma and Grandpa. Unlike the other value resorts this one had a concierge desk which we did use daily. We used the Dining plan where we ate breakfast in our resort but ate at different Park restaurants each afternoon for dinner. We stayed 6 nights and it is definately wise to make reservations in the Parks for dinner. All of the restaurants were good and we did quite a bit of character dining for the grandkids. The Princess dinner in the Castle was worth the two dines it costs for the kids because they really did it up special with all the Princess characters and the service and the food was great. We have been to Disney several times over the years. We have stayed at the Contemporary, The Polynisian, Port Orleans. The Carribean a couple of times and this was the first Value resort we stayed at. It was a pleasant surprise and we would definately stay there again with the family.
It was a great trip because of who we went with and the stay at The Art of Animation in our Nemo suite made it worthwhile.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Nashville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here about the long walk and small rooms in Little Mermaid, I chose to book a suite in the Finding Nemo section of the resort. Boy was I glad I did! It was wonderful. Close to everything. I asked for a ground floor room on the end(as we have a 2yr old and like to not have to worry about bothering others) and I got what I asked for. We were right at the end of the Big Blue pool and it was a perfect spot. The pool was great and we enjoyed the zero entry. We also liked the nightly movies by the pool. Nice way to chill after a long day at the parks. I love this resort so much I can't wait to go back. Such a wonderful place for kids. The colors and statues are amazing throughout the resort. Our suite was spacious and having a TV in the bedroom and 2 bathrooms really helped out bc we were traveling with 2 other adults plus our 6yr old and 2yr old. So we kind of still had our own separate areas. The food in the food court was average. Nothing special but not bad. I will agree with the reviewer who said they are ALWAYS out of ice and silverware. The resort store was pretty large and had a nice selection of souvenirs along with some necessities. The wait for the buses was never too long. Only once did we wait a good while for Hollywood Studios bus but we were told it was bc of a hang up in traffic or something. Overall this resort was fantastic! We stayed at the Polynesian last trip and I actually enjoyed AOA more. It is definitely for the kids, but this mom liked it too!! My tip is to DEFINITELY stay in Finding Nemo. It is close to everthing you need.

Room Tip: Choose a corner suite in Nemo and you will have privacy, yet convenience of being near everything!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Art of Animation Resort? Share your experiences!