“For a quieter room...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   6000 W. Osceola Pkwy., Kissimmee, FL 34746 (Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newark
“For a quieter room...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2006

My husband had a buying show at the Gaylord Palms from September 16-21. Before we arrived we thought we might like a room in the Key West section of the hotel but once we got there and checked around we asked for one in the Everglades section and we are really glad we did. The Everglades section of the atrium is very restful with waterfall sounds and piped in cricket and bird noises. The restaurant in that area of the atrium, The Old Hickory steakhouse, is very calm with no entertainment. The Key West section is loud with Sunset Sam's restaurant entertainment and there is a piano bar that you can hear in the St. Augustine and Emerald Bay areas of the atrium. So, if you want a quieter room, definitely ask for one in the Everglades atrium area.
We are die-hard Disney fans but we really liked this hotel. The ambiance in the atrium is great and the convention facilities are top-notch. The staff is friendly and very accomodating. The South Beach pool is very nice - there are plenty of chairs and towels and it is an adults-only pool. We watched a Sunday football game in the H2O sports bar - that was fun. We ate dinner at Sunset Sam's and the food was good but pricey.
We tried to decide if we would stay at the Gaylord Palms again since we always stay at Disney's Polynesian when we are in Orlando and we decided we would stay there again for a short vacation since the rooms are comparable to Disney rooms and the daily room rate is definitely not as high.

• Liked — rooms opening into the atrium - atrium ambiance
  • Disliked — having to pay $10/day to park your car
  • Tips/Secrets — get an atrium view room in the Everglades for a quieter stay
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2006

A conference I attended was hosted there and much to my surprise, it was an outstanding hotel.

My room was much better than expected. Nice matresses, a nicely furnished bathroom (with thick towels). Double french doors to a balcony.

The only nit I had was that there was a lot of noise (music) in the interior of the atrium. If you don't have to wake up early, you won't have a problem.

Beautiful hotel and nice accomodations!

I'd defintely stay there again! Much better than the Disney properties in Orlando.

Carlsbad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2006

My husband and I were at the Gaylord for a trade show for a week. This is by far the nicest hotel we have stayed in, in Orlando, much better that the Wilderness Lodge at Walt Disney World. Comfortable beds, lovely pool. If I was vacationing, with adults, I would have rated this above average. The hotel isn't geared for kids or the business traveler. It is more of a of a young adult, cruise ship atmosphere. Surf, turf, drinks with cute names.

It is very, very, noisy, until about 1-2AM , due to the piano bar and other entertainment in the atrium. Bring your earplugs and you will be fine. If you aren't willing to use earplugs, stay elsewhere.
The beds are really high and you have to climb in and out of them. If you aren't able to climb, stay elsewhere. If you can climb, the beds are great, really comfortable.

The big drawback is the lack of a restaurant, with quality, everday food, such as soup, sandwiches,burgers, pasta or eggs and toast. The sort of food normally found in a coffee shop or diner. The resort has the Java Hut, which serves good coffee and a limited selection of bakery goods of very poor quality and truly bad, pre-made sandwiches. You can observe the frozen grocery store type bagels, being set out to defrost and based on the deflated and wrinkly appearance and freezer burn taste of the bagels, I would guess they had been frozen and defrosted several times. The average 7-11 offers more tempting fare. This was odd, becuase the remaining restaurants and room service serve much, much, better quality food. Unfortunately the remaining restaurants and room service, assume you are on vacation and can devote two or more hours to a huge, rich, meal and snooze by the pool to digest it all. The resort also assumes you have the metabolism of a 16 year old boy. Vegetables, fruit and grains are scarce and always cloaked in butter, whipped cream, cheese, or all three. I love rich decadant food, but three times a day for a week, without a break, is not appealing. The cooking style is very plain, hunk "o" meat, hunk "o" fish, starch and several sauces. Spaghetti would have been a real walk on the wild side.

Since this resort has its own convention center, it would be nice if it had at least one restaurant, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, geared to the needs of the business traveler, who doesn't want to consume a stick of butter three times a day, but it doesn't.

• Liked — convenience to trade show, good bed
  • Disliked — bland overly rich food, service to slow for buiness travler seeking breakfast or lunch
  • Tips/Secrets — good weekend party place for young adults, bad if you are on a business schedule
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2006

Great hotel, beautiful atrium, very good Italian buffet, Very nice room, however our room in the St. Augustine section, which should actually be considered a quieter area had a big noise problem. There was someone with a very hearty laugh who was having a great time until about 11:30 p.m. Every twenty seconds the laugh would be very audible. I switched with my ten year old, and moved the roll away as far away as possible from the window, and still could hear it. My wife got a lousy night's sleep because of some noise all night long. I read the trip advisor review emphatically advising not to stay in an atrium room, and accordingly booked a Florida Resident rate in a non atrium room, which was about $35.00 cheaper than an atrium room. When we checked in, we were given the atrium room. Since I was not paying the extra money for it, I did not complain, but wished I had, even though the view from the atrium room is excellent. I went down to the front desk, and they suggested calling the security number, since they could not accomodate us any other way. I called security twice, but that did not cure the situation. I do not fault the guy with the hearty laugh. He is entitled to enjoy himself. I do fault the engineers who failed to make the atrium rooms even remotely soundproof. Will not return to hotel again, unless I could be absolutely assured of not having an atrium view, regardless of how nice the view may be.

• Liked — Atrium
  • Disliked — Noise in room from atrium
  • Tips/Secrets — If you have any sensitivity to noise, forego the atrium view room, get street side room
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

I booked a room at this hotel and was not sure what to expect. I am very picky about where I stay. This hotel is fabulous. The rooms are very clean!!! We had a room which overlooked the atrium. I cannot say enough about the atriums. It is like a city within a hotel. Another person had written in their review about the noise from the atrium, and I didn't hear a thing. The only sound is from the waterfall, which is very nice too me. Some of the restaurants are kind of pricey, but worth the money! The hotel staff is very friendly and will go out of their way to make sure your every request is taken care of. Disney World is about 5 min. away. I like the fact that you can get away from all of the touristy stuff. They have shuttles to/from Disney. They have complimentary town cars to take you to the golf course and offer discounts. My husband played, and said the course was great. He rented clubs at the course. I could say a lot more....but words do not do it justice. This is a 5 star place!!!!!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Fairfax, VA USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2006

We stayed four nights at the Gaylord Palms. The hotel is immediately across the street from the entrance to Disney's Animal Kingdom and around the corner from a road with many national chain restaurants, groceries, etc. The hotel has a free shuttle bus to all the Disney parks and Sea World -- we used it for the Magic Kingdom -- a tip for families with little ones -- the hotel shuttle is a bus that can take strollers without folding them up -- we had a double and so this beat driving ouselves for that very reason.

We were very impressed with the property -- 5 acres under glass and -- key for July in Orlando -- all air conditioned!! Other reviewers below complained about noise -- we had an exterior facing room in the St. Augustine section and didn't notice any at all. Other reviewers said a number of the plants were fake in the atrium areas, but we didn't notice any - the running water and natual plants, walking paths, and sitting areas were a HUGE plus for this property in our view. Really unique.

The kiddie pool is outside and also huge, clean, and wonderful. Another reviewer below mentioned it is a bit disconcertingly unsupervised and we'd agree with that, but if you keep your kiddies in sight everything should be fine -- nothing negative, just found ourselves worrying other folks kids might get hurt running on the pool deck or sliding down the water slide too close together-- the kiddie pool is huge and our two boys (2 and 4) loved the octopus waterslide and "spitting" sea horses. Also, the continuous entry side of the pool is nice for playing with infants we noticed. There is a nice adult pool on the other side of the property, but we didn't use it. There is a "kidz camp" -- we checked it out but our 2 year old is not fully potty trained so they would only take our 4 year old so we skipped it. It appeared to be supervised, but not adult guided play so I'm not sure it's quite as great as it's billed for little ones, but the 5-10 year olds inside it appeared to be having great fun. The hotel also offered in room babysitting, but at $28/hour for our two kids we decided to take a pass.

The hotel's restaurants seemed to be high quality -- we ate at the Key West section boat restaurant and the fish was first rate and fresh. We didn't eat at the steak house or the italian restaurant but they both looked nice. Top prices, but the quality seemed to be there so probably worth it. We did order room service pizza and breakfast. Part of the problem of running an operation of this scale is our pizza arrived late and near burnt but still cold -- but it ended up free because all room service comes with a 30 minute guarantee so not worth any real complaint. The breakfast was ok -- a bit pricey for what you get and not particularly hot, but it did come on time.

Surface parking is no problem at this hotel and we skipped the valet because we never had to park more than 5 or 6 rows from a hotel side entrance door.

Linens in room are good. Carpet was clean but not new any more. Room furnishings are on par with a nice Hilton or Hyatt, or perhaps a notch better. All rooms have coffee makers, refrigerators and safes, which was nice. They forgot to clean our room one day, but quickly ran towels and coffee and toiletries to us and refused a tip. Again, small service glitches the hazard of running an operation of this size.

There was a convention at the hotel and adjacent convention hall while we were there, but the hotel absorbs crowds so well we barely noticed it was there.

Overall, we highly recommend this hotel, esp. for Orlando attractions family visitors -- it really couldn't be more convenient or much nicer than it actually is. Also, would recommend this hotel for family reunion functions -- everyone can come and go and get together -- really a nice place for such things. We bid on Priceline for resort and paid just under $100/night. Resort fee and self parking added about $25 per night (incl. tax). Well worth that price for sure. Probably worth anything up to about $200 -- might look at Ritz or a couple of other Orlando properties if going above that price. But the Gaylord Palms is such a unique property nothing else really compares. Very nice.

• Stayed July 2006
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

Having initially booked this hotel on a name your own price bid on priceline I wasn't quite sure what my family and I were letting ourselves in for! I can honestly say that it was worth every penny. At £50 per night (published rack rate of $500) this was an amazing resort. The price aside the hotel was clean, the rooms were large and furnished to a high standard and the staff were at hand to answer or help with whatever we needed.

If I had to give some negative it would have to be the $10 resort fee which they charge regardless of whether you use the resort facilities or not. As well as the parking fee which is either $17 valet or $10 self park. I have stayed at hotels of similar standards and size (Vegas) where the parking is included in the room rate. The only other negative is that this place is so big and has so many restaurants and bars that you could happily stay here and forget that there's so much to do when you are in Orlando.

A BIG thumbs up to the Gaylord Palms!

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!