“Spoiled Rotten at Gaylord Palms and LOVED IT!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   6000 W. Osceola Pkwy., Kissimmee, FL 34746 (Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Stay 2+ Nights & Save 15%
Ranked #13 of 160 Hotels in Kissimmee
Madison, Wisconsin
“Spoiled Rotten at Gaylord Palms and LOVED IT!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband had business obligations at the Gaylord Palms for 4 days and lucky me I got to tag along! Check in was a breeze, we had room 1467. It was at the end of the hall on the 4th floor, but a short walk to the elevator which was a positive since the Gaylord is a BIG resort. I wasn't expecting much of a view being on the 4th floor, but it wasn't that bad. I had a pesky palm tree that partially blocked my view of the high fireworks every night, but I got to see a few of them so that was a bonus. It overlooked the parking lot, but trust me at this resort the view you can have in the atrium is worth so much more. I think I would request a room overlooking the atrium next time.

The rooms are what you would expect from a plush hotel like the Gaylord. Spacious rooms with good lighting, plenty of outlets. Linens were high quality, toiletries were above average. Hairdryer in the room was sufficient, not salon quality, but it worked. Refrig and coffee maker in room. Ice and vending machines near the elevators. The vending machines take credit cards but they only had soda vending no candy or snacks. I was hoping to find a microwave near the vending area but no luck- Java Shop had one, but I didn't ask to use it. Housekeeping stopped in daily.

The fitness center is probably one of the nicest I've ever seen, I used it every day and even with the resort at full capacity there was enough space and machines to not feel crowded.

The atrium gardens were amazing! I had plenty of time to walk around take pictures and enjoy them. There are koi ponds, alligators and turtles... feeding times are listed, I think it was every other day. The guy that was feeding the day I was watching was from Gatorland and he answered questions and telling us about what they do with this gators as they grow in the atrium at the Gaylord.

Pools- They have a family area with 3 waterslides (lifeguard on duty) that pool is like zero entry pool- great for the little ones. They also have the climbing play area that seemed to be a big hit with the kids. The adults only pool was very nice. I was there the first 2 days and then a huge convention came in and it got so packed that I moved to the family side and it was really not bad at all. Loved the pool areas- limited wait staff walking around, but I mistakenly flagged down a pool attendant thinking she was a waitress and she got someone immediately!

The Relache Spa was very nice. I'm in the spa industry so I like to indulge at the spa while on vacation. I booked a Royal Pedicure (80 min) and had a nice service. Most people wouldn't think that $120 for a Pedicure is reasonable, however if you really break down the SPA EXPERIENCE you will feel much better about it. They allow you to use the Spa's facilities all day of your appointment- plan on utilizing it! The spa attendant will explain the amenities in the locker room which whether you do it all the time or are a first timer let them walk you through the Rainforest Shower directions. It's a great experience! The steam room and dry sauna are always a spa favorite for me. They have a private tea lounge just off the women's locker room, great place to relax after the rainforest shower. You're technician will find you as they know you are there so check in early and stay awhile. Everyone I encountered was very nice and happy to have you there. My only critiques would be the Pedicure area is not a very quiet area as its right off the salon- and as a nail professional myself I must say that I was not happy with the integrity of the Sparitual Polish used in my service. It was chipping in about 3 days- and I know my technician prep'd the nail before application.

As far as food at the Gaylord I did feel that much of it was overpriced and since there is NOTHING within walking distance if you don't have a car (which will cost you $18+ a day to park there)- you will be stuck at the Gaylord for your meals. I knew going in that breakfast could easily run $20pp. I eat oatmeal most mornings so that was easy to pack and I did- used the coffee maker in the room to get hot water- viola' breakfast was served. If you want a graba nd go breakfast you can stop at the Java Shop, but for a yogurt parfait and a banana it will cost you $7- a small coffee was $3.50 - a yoplait yogurt was 3.25 (yeah, the same one you pay .60 for at home). I had a club wrap there one afternoon- the bacon was almost soggy- had to take it out...everything was pre-made so I don't know how stuff stays in the cooler, but for almost $10 for a pre-made wrap that was $$ in my opinion. I had a couple lunches pool side at the Sandbar and they were good and I felt the price paid was much more on target. The Sports bar- WRECKERS was a fun place to have dinner one night. The Club sandwich was very good and easily could feed 2! We didn't try the buffet even though it has apparently won several awards- I'm not a buffet fan and the price was very steep!

Concierge was a wealth of information- one of the most interesting tips he gave me was not to take a YELLOW cab with tinted windows. He said over the years they have noticed those are the "gypsy" cabs they will not stick to the set rates and they will long haul you to your destination to charge you more. I tend to believe there is some truth to this...but I didn't verify it myself.

I would highly recommend staying at the Gaylord if you are in the area. We tried to book extra nights there 3 months before our trip and they were sold out so book well in advance if you are trying to extend your stay after a convention. Moving to the Marriott Courtyard (a nice hotel) was like going from riches to rags...the Gaylord does it right!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
Fort Myers, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My wife and I traveled to Kissimmee for a business presentation which was done in conjunction with the "Money Show" an event being held at the Gaylord Convention facility.
We arrived and the bell person greets us and gives us our parking options which consist of self park at some mysterious location for $18 per day and their valet park for $24. I have a basic objection to paying for parking at a hotel that is not downtown in a very major city. I took the valet option because it was late afternoon and I needed to get to the people for a meeting.
So, we did our meeting and all went well.
The next morning is when things really went the wrong way. My wife comes out of the shower and tells me the shower isn't draining. I look and there is like 3" of water with soap scum standing in the bottom of the shower and going no where. I go to the room phone and try to call housekeeping the front desk or someone. My first try to housekeeping gets me a cheery commercial type message telling me how much they love their guests and how they want us to be happy. OK, I figure I am not going to stay on hold listening to this so I try the front desk .. same deal , no one answers and I get this cheery message about how wonderful the place is. I try housekeeping again, same message. I go back and try "0" again .... no answer, same annoyiing message. But this time I really have no choice but to stay on hold listening to the message. It takes a live person like 10 minutes to come to the phone. This is around 7:30 in the morning. That person danced around until my wife tells her to send someone up to fix the problem
So, now I have to idea if or when anyone will show up to fix the shower. After a half an hour or so waiting I finally give up and we pack up and I have to leave with no Shower.
Now, I had seen the bill .... they started with my Florida resident rate of $220 .... I am going to tell you that this bill had NO total but did have two charges to my credit card that amounted to $300. In addition to the room charge the parking charge they had added taxes and a "Resort Fee" of $20 plus tax for what was essentially two bottles of Aquafina water and what should have been free WII fi internet. I mean Really? $300 a night ... not all inclusive , no food or drink. That is a lot toooo much. Oh, did I mention they have an up sell ... if you want a view of their Atrium that is another $40 a night , plus taxes. and you get a balcony big enough for two chairs. There are lots of opportunites for expensive shopping and dining if you feel the need.
OK, I go to check out and ask for a Manager to talk about my shower mal function. Frankly he did not appear to care ..... He said that they could give me maybe a $20 credit for my lack of a functional shower. REALLY!?
But they would waive the Resort Fee if I didn't like it.
I was soooooo disgusted by this experience ... I just gave up and left the place. I mean I paid $300 and got no shower !!!! I am really VERY unhappy with these people.
Oh, and of course the valet got a bit uppity after me paying over $25 in fees for parking when I did not cross his palm with a big tip.
I won't be going anywhere near this place again. If the Companies want to take that abuse on themselves and pass the costs on to their clients for the convention ..... yikes .... no wonder things are so expensive!

Room Tip: Ha, ha my wife peeked at a breakfast menu .... if you like paying $9 for an egg ... this could...
petd0c
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I recently spent 6 nights at the Gaylord Palms while attending a large medical meeting. I enjoyed the hotel very much. The rooms were clean with comfortable beds, robes, accessories, etc. There was free wireless internet, which was nice to have. The facility is beautiful with outdoor fireplaces to sit by, wonderful pool area and a very nice spa. The garden area indoors is amazing with ponds, koi, alligators etc. Very interesting to walk around and peaceful. The convention center is a convenient indoor walk and there are shops along the way. The only reason I disnt rate this hotel an excellent is that the rooms are getting slightly dated now and the coffee makers are kind of cheap. I think they could upgrade a few things and this place would be on par with the 5 star resorts! The service was excellent.I did experience the room service one evening and ordered a filet mignon and salad. It was EXCELLENT...one of the best meals I had in Orlando.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

The perfect place to stay while you are attending the north american Veterinary conference. It have an excellent breakfast buffet And resently they open a sport bar very nice And very tasty menu. Also you hace the opportunity if you Want something moré fancy the hace a steak house And a susi place too. The hotel is very close to the most popular attractions for Young people

• Stayed January 2013
New Providence, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my husband and kids for four days whiled his and had a convention. Gorgeous grounds on a super large property.
Pros: plenty of restaurants on property. Decent size rooms. Great work out facility. Beautiful pools and water slides for kids.
Cons: as expected all food is over priced. Place is sooo large it takes forever to walk somewhere and you end up getting lost. Nothing to walk to on immediate area have to get in car to drive somewhere. It has been by far the loudest hotel I've ever stayed at. Parties and conventions in atrium area all the noise goes right Into your room. Did I really need to hear an awards ceremony at 10pm!?? We were also put in a room where they were doom construction nearby. Each day we woke up to drilling and hammering. Complained each day and was told there was nothing going in my rooms area. Finally
On the last day I was told they were doing construction on the presidential suite. So why were people put in this area of the hotel? Worst nights sleep ever had. Certainly not what is expected from a top rated hotel. Received better nights sleep in a courtyard hotel. Not very good customer service.
Summation: unless you are attending a convention there, go elsewhere! Better hotels and service in the area.

• Stayed January 2013
Carstairs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was the second time we have stayed here. I think it is one of my favorite hotels of all time - right up there with the Wynn in Las Vegas when it was newly opened. Other than it is expensive to eat here, park here and play on your computer or ipad it is so nice to have an atrium view where you can enjoy a cup of coffee out on your balcony in the morning and people watch. Or you can go walk around, find a comfy place to sit (I noticed they put some soft chairs in not just bench seating any longer) with a book and listen to the water running throughout the atrium. The pool area is now open with 3 different areas. Slides for kids, a toddler pool and an adult pool. Very nicely done. We will stay here again next year when we head back for another car auction!!

Room Tip: If you want to save a few dollars then don't get an atrium view. For those who have troubles wal...
Palm Coast, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

The amenities and the view are unbelievable, In the atrium there are ponds filled with exotic fish and reptiles, not to mention the beautiful plant life. One could and we did... walk for hours enjoying the atrium. The restaurants are plentiful and flavorful. The entire staff was accommodating . I can't wait to return again...

Room Tip: Our room had a balcony overlooking the atrium....it was fantastik!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#3 of 160 in Kissimmee
4.5 of 5 stars 552 reviews

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!