“Beautiful, but a bit pricey once you are inside!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center

Save Saved
You added Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   6000 W. Osceola Pkwy., Kissimmee, FL 34746 (Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Nightly Credit
Ranked #10 of 158 Hotels in Kissimmee
Deerfield, Illinois, United States
“Beautiful, but a bit pricey once you are inside!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Very beautiful hotel..the rooms were very spacious and the service was excellent. It was pretty noisy by our room, not sure if it was an elevator shaft that we heard or what. We didn't have a rental car so we started out being pretty dependent on the restaurants at the resort. There are no sidewalks that would allow you to walk somewhere. I guess you could if you really wanted to, but only in daylight.
We were a bit disappointed in the variety and the $$$ of each restaurant. We eventually took a cab to local spots to get out a bit. The free shuttle is nice, but only if you plan to be gone for 6 hours. If you want to eat out, you need to either order in (which didn't include a lot of choices) or take a minimum of a $25 round trip taxi.
There was a nice coffee shop where you could get breakfast....but allow time in the morning, because it is very busy!
Overall it was nice, but probably wouldn't go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (804)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here for sales conference. It's in great shape and has a lot of really neat stuff to see. The conference rooms were in good repair, with working AC and heat (unlike older hotels). The conference center is huge. Rooms are in really good shape - hallways had nice carpeting, rooms had no smell, room attendant was very good, etc. With 1000 rooms, it would give a Vegas hotel a run for its money.

The sports bar (Wreckers) is incredible. It's a legit sports bar with a Vegas book-style watching area.

HOWEVER, this place milks you for every dime. Coffee shop is expensive as heck (and slow too). Self-service coffee machines charge $3.75 (!!!??!?!). And it goes on.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Danvers, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We just got back from staying at the Gaylord for a conference. The place is beautiful. Very big. You have to walk a lot to get from place to place. The resturants onsite are very expensive. The New Year's Day brunch was $58 per person. I guess if you don't mind spending that, it's a good deal, but for our average family... Cracker Barrel was just as good. They have a great pool for the younger kids and a nice relaxing pool for adults 18+ but nothing for teenagers. We took our older teenagers, 16 and 17 into the adult pool and was asked to leave. All they were doing was reading. If you don't have a budget and small kids, a great place to be.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Western NY State
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed at the Gaylord Palms as part of a conference and I guess the best I can say is that a hotel of this size, where one needs a map to get around, where it seemed that the entire purpose of the place was to remove as much $$$ from your pocket as possible and keep you on the grounds (hence so many restaurants and things to do), leaves me cold. Facilities were very nice though it took almost 30 minutes standing in line to check in (and was a repeat performance at check out!).

Staff were very professional and tried to be responsive, but as it is such a large place, they could not really let you know when things would be done. The first room assigned was right next to the elevator and ice room and I have learned over the years that these are not the ideal rooms because of noise, so we requested that we be moved ... and were told that there was not one other king room among the 1500 rooms in the hotel that was available at that moment and it might be as late as 7 PM before we could be moved! Having gotten up with the sparrows in the AM for flights, we were very tired and over-heated and that wasn't the news we wanted to hear! But, eventually it all worked out and the management sent up a complimentary bottle of wine, so it was satisfacotrily resolved.

I saw families having a great time, couples snuggling by the pool, and many others simply blown away by the hotel and facilities, but I was not one of them. Just not my cup of tea ... and I think that even though the Gaylord chain has been purchased by Marriott, I will not be booking in these monster hotels any time soon!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My 13 year old daughter and I stayed at the Gaylord Resort for a Cheerleading Competiton March 2012. The hotel is inside out. From your room you step out into a balcony but the top of hotel is a glass window. The balcony is covered and overlooking the lush green vegetation, the patio restaurant and the small winding walking paths. Very pretty and unusual. We also attended the Shrek breakfast $20-25 pp but only saw Shrek for a photo op at begining of breakfast. I would not regularly spend $50 on a breakfast but the food was exceptional and the carving stations were great. There is an adult and kids pool. Kids pool comes with a wet maze. Next time I return to Orlando, I will stay at Gaylord again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the Spa, try not to get a room above the patio restaurant because it is a night...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I stayed at this hotel from Dec 29, 2012 to Jan 1, 2013 with my wife and two kids (5 & 8). I have been at this hotel 3 times in the past. It is my belief that since Marriott has taken over the resort in the past few months quality of services has completely gone down the drain. PS: after speaking with 5 of their staff they have all echoed the same thought.
Don't get me wrong the property is very nice and clean (look) but service will leave you a bad taste. Here are some of the problems I had which at the price of hotel I would expect would not be a problem. The problem 3 star hotel level issues.
1. It took on Dec 29, 2012 at 4:30pm 45 minutes to check-in. That is stood in line before even reaching the reception (it like a Walt Disney lineup without the ride) for 45 minutes. During the Xmas holiday you need to have more than 3 staff at the reception “Basic hotel 101”.
2. When I got to the reservation they could not find my reservation. It took another 20 minutes to find it. Looks like when I booked back in September my information was not transferred to Marriott. Thank god I confirmed the week before and got my confirmation number and that after asking for an email from them for the last 4 months when making my reservation. By the way my room was not ready although it was supposed to be ready by 3:00. Got a lame excuse that a lot of people had checked out. Front desk gave me wrong direction to the room. If you been there before this is a large hotel. Not impress that the reception does not even know their hotel.
3. Got my room which was giving on the inside of the property. Well the band playing played the same songs at 7, 8, 9 and 10 every night for 3 nights. It was so loud that I could not even hear the TV in my room. If you got children don't get a room facing the inside the resort. I got to listen to the same song 12 times. If only it was a good group playing but I had no luck there either!!! Marriott cut corners here too.
4. Called for 3 wake up calls, one each day, Never got a call even do we spoke to a live person. Old trusted iPhone came in handy. Poor service, I guess Marriott cut on wake up calls as well. I know times are hard but come on.
5. Called for a bell boy a good hour prior to leaving on January 1, 2013. None one ever showed up. Called the front desk and they told me he was on his way. That was 10 minute late at this point. Again no one ever showed up. There was no one leaving so can’t see how busy these people where. Call 911 Marriott bell boys missing in action. Maybe they got the same direction as I did when looking for the room.
6. Final bill which we did not get. I checked out at 5:00am to go to the airport. Only one person at the front desk which could not access the computers. Her English was so poor that she had difficulty telling me that computers where down. Funny as she was working on the terminal prior to me asking for my bill. That said they had no problem billing me that same day. By the way, I still have not received my final bill.

7. The final one is the one I just can’t live with and why I will never go back. The buffet was $33 US per person (kids or adults). My 5 year old daughter went to the pasta bar which had two types of pasta and one source. My daughter wanted spaghetti and guess what it was not one of the two pastas that was available. At $33 you can put spaghetti on the pasta bar.
This will be the last time I stay at this hotel. Not work the 3 days which cost me $956 US.

Family of 4 from Ottawa Canada.

Room Tip: Stay in a room looking to the outside.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Elko, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

While on vacation my husband and I heard about these ice sculptures and had to come check it out, and we are glad we did!! Madagascar Merry Christmas!! Wow!! This was an experience I won't forget!! Thank you to the guy who told us about this place!! Everyone should see this place at least once!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!