“Beautiful facility, a grand illusion, at a very high price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center

You added Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center to your Saves list
Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   6000 W. Osceola Pkwy., Kissimmee, FL 34746 (Gaylord Palms Resort and Convention Center)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 15% This Summer!
Ranked #12 of 160 Hotels in Kissimmee
Tampa, Florida
“Beautiful facility, a grand illusion, at a very high price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Gaylord Palms fits into the Orlando theme park genre of spectacle as a thin facade. As a luxury hotel, it barely squeals in to the running. Rooms are nice, bedding makes the grade, but the walls are thin, the halls loud, and service is a series of ques/lines for everything.

The shop prices are in line with the theme parks, everything is inflated 2 to 3 times retail which feels insulting after paying the premium to stay at the hotel.

The grounds are first class, but of course, you are paying for them with a resort fee.
I dined at sunset fish camp in the Key West section. Let me preface this review by saying that I have stayed at this hotel several years prior and enjoyed a nice dinner at this restaurant. That said, don't waste a dollar here. Over cooked salmon, atrocious crab bisque and ridiculously priced drinks with terrible service. This is simply inexcusable oat an upscale hotel.

Another disappointment is the Relache Spa. Service was slow, disorganized and frankly not up to par.

In short, the Gaylord Palms is a beautiful, skin deep conference facility. It isn't worth a second visit. There are many better places to stay within 5 miles.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (959)
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

I was attending a conference at the Gaylord Palms and was impressed by the website. However, I felt I was held hostage inside a bubble, since it is really in the middle of nowhere. Without a car you cannot even walk someplace for a cup of coffee. So you are stuck with the food that is available there, and it isn't very good and it's very expensive (see my review of Wreckers Sports Bar for more on that).
Check-in was speedy and I was assured that I had been assigned a quiet room, away from the elevators and ice machine, as per my reservation request. When I got to my room, I found I was two doors from the elevator and across the hall from the ice machine. I was late for a reception, so I thought I would just keep the fan on. However, what I didn't realize is that I was facing the pool, where they blast movies and music from giant speakers until almost 11 pm at night. I had a 6:45 am session at the conference and had to get up at 5 am. The noise was almost unbearable, and I was on the 8th floor. After my early session and the keynote, I went up to my room to take a short rest, and the music was again blaring from the pool. This put a huge damper on my trip.
The room itself was very nice. The bed was comfortable, although it was really high, so you had to climb up to get into bed. There was wireless internet AND a speedy ethernet connection, so I got a lot of work done. Each room has a fridge and a safe. (By the way, I didn't realize until my last day that there is a power plug inside the safe, so you can charge your laptop while you are out of the room, just a hint.)
The fitness center is not very big given the size of the resort, but it was enough to get a workout in. I did not use the pool, although there is one for adults that is huge and also the pool/play area for kids.
The staff is very friendly and accommodating (except when I asked for a late checkout--I asked for two hours and only got one. Plus they didn't tell housekeeping and the woman was very embarrassed when she knocked on my door as I was getting out of the shower). Everyone is friendly and they act like they enjoy their jobs. The place is very well-maintained, probably extending the Disney-perfect environment. It's very odd to be indoors but have it seem like outdoors. It's nice to not have to worry about the weather and to see all the plants, but it's very artificial. I did have a nice chat with one of the gardeners who told me there are 13 full-time horticulturalists, which is impressive.
My last afternoon I walked around and found more areas that I didn't realize were there.
One other strange thing: they turn the lights down really low in the public areas at night. I was trying to walk someone back to the parking lot and we could hardly see where we were going, and it wasn't even 10 pm. I was a little creeped out walking through this dark, heavily forested area by myself on the way back to my room.

Room Tip: Go look at the room and ask to have it changed before you unpack. If you face the pool, you do not...
Oakton, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Our initial room assignment had wet carpet that we discovered after unpacking. Bellman took hanging clothes on cart and carried restuffed but not closed suitcases to our new room - took about 5 minutes! Unfortunately, when I showered the next morning I discovered a stain (blood or something) on the shower curtain. Called housekeeping and had a new shower curtain when we returned that evening. Minor details. The room was comfortale - double queen - but only one chair, with the desk, no other table, and pretty dark, even with all lights on. They should put a light in the ceiling fan. Nice balcony, though, with 2 chairs, no table. I'm pretty sure we could have had a balcony table had we asked, but we weren't out there that much.
We were with a large group (Presbyterian Women Churchwide Gathering), so food was served buffet style. This was "banquet" food, not "convention center" food. All the meat was tender and juicy, not dried out (I had sliced roast beef for a sandwich and chicken twice, neither disappointed). Good salad greens with various add ons - cranberries, sugared walnuts, pine nuts - and a variety of dressings. Cloth napkins in napkin rings, servers came around and picked them up; they were also there if you needed help carrying.
Thought I would walk myself to death, but the distances aren't really as far as it looks on their map, you learn shortcuts.. Really pleased to find that the pools are outdoors. "Kiddie" pool is a real waterpark, but I don't think it had a lazy river or I would have been it it. As it is, the "adults only" pool is huge, and it was nice not to have to deal with kids.
The place is gorgeous. They have 11 gardeners working full-time to keep up the landscaping of palms, banana trees, large & small spath plants, impatiens, daisies, and others I couldn't identify, and a raised herb bed. I posted some pictures of a banana tree in bloom It looks like "Audrey" in "Little Shop of Horrors"!
Several restaurants, including Sunset Sams & Key West Grill, Wreckers Sports Bar and Java Coast coffee shop. All were a little pricey, but the food was good. Disappointed in Sunset Sam's. on my second visit. Had the best nachos there on arrival night, then went for them again a couple of nights later and they were super (over) crispy and slightly burned - after having trouble getting my waitress I sent them back and they arrived pretty quickly, same problem. I ate about half, but can't say I enjoyed them. Very disappointed. Sunset Sams includes a boat right there inside in a lagoon for "outside" dining (under the glass roof). Cheddar burger at Wreckers was delicious.
I would go back if someone paid my way! Near Disney & Epcot, but I didn't care.
I also went to their alligator habitat and held and petted a baby alligator. If I can, I'll add a picture later.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Atrium.
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This is a really beautiful hotel with attached convention center. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and there are even turtles and baby alligators in the waters. Service is very friendly and accommodating.
As others have noted, parking is an extra $15 a day and food is expensive. You can not go anywhere from this hotel without a car. However, there are shuttles to the amusement parks.

I was here for a conference, but I could see how enjoyable it would be to bring children here. There is a wonderful water park feature and pool.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Boca Raton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was the fourth time we have visited to celebrate a wedding anniversary. Everything was awesome and we look forward to returning! This happened to be our 48th Anniversary. Everyone was so friendly and helpful. A truly wonderplace place with all the gardens, flowers, waterfalls, etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This lovely hotel is pricey and you definitely get what you pay for. We had a clean and very quiet suite overlooking the nicely landscaped covered center courtyard that had water features, alligators, and fish.

Room Tip: We had a small frig and a coffee pot in our room but no microwave.
Pompano Beach, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were at the Gaylord June 28 for a few nights and it is a nice hotel. The restaurants are a bit pricey but I am sure they are worth it. The adult area pool is very nice and there were no kids around. It was a pleasure to sit in the quiet pool. The kids pool area and movie section is a nice treat if you were to bring younger kids with you. I am thinking about bringing my niece next year. She would have a blast. We discovered the town Celebration a few miles up the road. Its a must go to and the DIner there is fantastic. We will be at the Gaylord same time next year and look forward to it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!